United Federal Credit Union

United Federal Credit Union Employer Reviews

Refreshing and fulfilling workplace.
Bank Teller (Former Employee), Benton Harbor, MIApril 21, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: i left in hopes of moving to another state.
A normal day consists of laughter and stories, obviously there is work but it doesn't feel like it when you are there. Management stays on top of the situation and generally will help any member within their control. My co-workers were intelligent and got along very well. I'd have to say the hardest part of that job was making sure you balanced at the – more... end of each work day, but that's a far sight in comparison to everything they helped you with. I enjoyed working for the company, earning the pay, soaking up the benefits and actually met my wife there! – less
Loved the job, but....
Member Service Rep (Former Employee), St Joseph, MIMarch 28, 2014
Pros: great benefits and the company as a whole is fantastic
Cons: poor management, no job security, only negative feedback
The management is down right horrible. I honestly do not understand where they find these people. You can not go to them with questions because, A: They wont know the answer or B: Will make you feel like your an idiot for not knowing the answer, complete with eye roll and a bad attitude.
When I was hired on I was told that I would have more time with – more... my family compared to the company I was working for, LIE. Managers refuse to work a Saturday which I've never ever heard of. I was also told that the goals were very easy to hit, not true they are actually higher than big banks!
The computer system is anything but a helpful tool for you to use to do your everyday job. And training, oh it's the worst. You get to sit in front of a computer screen for 8 hours a day for 2 weeks, usually all by yourself then take a test at the end. Nobody is there for you to ask questions to if you need to. If your a hands on learner like myself you will start your job going in completely blind.
Turnover rate is extremely high. I believe this stems from the "cliques" that have formed and if you don't participate in the elementary school drama then you are stabbed in the back and let go. Don't expect to get any feedback unless its negative.
I can say I loved UFCU's views and beliefs, I don't think the CEO or VP's have any idea of what is going on in the branches. If they did I'm confident that they would take care of the issues.
Benefits and pay are good, but not worth the bullying. You are made to be fearful that you will be fired because of any small mistake. – less
Wonder work environment with excellent employee engagement
Benefits Specialist (Current Employee), Saint Joseph, MIMarch 3, 2014
Pros: great benefits package, employee engagement and wonderful team work
Cons: location
I enjoy going to work and being at work. My co-workers have great drive not only for themselves but for our team as a whole. We all back each other up and strive to assist each other to get any project done.

My supervisors have been the most inspiring mentors I have had the opportunity to work with. They enjoy watching us grow and learn each day. I – more... am most thankful for being able to learn from their experiences.

I walk in not knowing what issues I will be faced with daily but know I have the support of my manager and team. I am responsible for handling all benefit related issues and any employee relations problem.

I enjoy leading our employees in the correct direction and offering any opportunity for them to learn. – less
My opinion only
MEMBER SERVICE ADVISOR (Current Employee), Saint Joseph, MIMarch 2, 2014
this company has been very good to me and my family. There are times your job can be very stressful due to demand, but at the same time, I appreciate the demand. Without demand there's no supply therefore, I do not have a job to do. United FCU provide great benefit package, St Joseph area has great schools and great place to raise children.
Director of Business Services/Commercial Division (Former Employee), Saint Joseph, MIJanuary 22, 2014
Professional management team. Dedicated to serving the member/customer. My team in the commercial division was talented and took pride in their work.
Sales Sales Sales
MSA (Former Employee), Reno, NVJanuary 22, 2014
This is not your friendly local credit union. Its a big corporation that has lost all interest in their members. All they care about is being number one winning as many awards as they can and making money. If you don't sell enough products or harassing people to sit down with a member service advisor they fire you. People who have worked there 25+ years – more... get let go because their number are not up. Im surprise they still call themselves a credit union when they act exactly like a bank. – less
Very good credit union
Employee (Current Employee), Saint Joseph, MIJanuary 16, 2014
very smart and professional group of people. It's a company that is growing and will do very well, is committed to its members and its employees.
Good Work Experience
Teller (Current Employee), St. Joseph MIAugust 19, 2013
Over all a decent company to work for. Wonderful co-workers.

There is a lot of pressure to make your "goals" as a teller. This makes for a rather stressful work environment.

One plus is part time employees are given paid time off and paid volunteer hours.
Pressure to make "sales" overshadows everything else.
Teller (Former Employee), Reno, NVAugust 14, 2013
Great company as far as benefits goes.
My co-workers were wonderful!!
The pressure to make sales causes a lot of stress.
IT holds you down and doesn't let you learn
Help Desk Specialist (Former Employee), St. Joseph, MIApril 30, 2013
Pros: i made a paycheck
Cons: held down, not allowed to learn new technologies, network administrators, engineers, and management play favorites and belittle help desk staff unless you are a favorite. very low pay.
Working in IT at United is horrible at best. There are certain "groups" and if you are not in one of these "groups" then you are held down and not allowed to learn or grow. I was not allowed to be involved with server builds or getting involved with new technology so I was not able to grow and develop the skillsets to move to the next level in IT while – more... there. The very few times I would manage to be involved with the Network Administrators or Systems Engineers they would treat you like you are the dumbest person on earth and usually didn't answer questions that you would have. Management tends to play favorites as well within this department and picks and chooses who they will become friends with and only those people will have opportunities come up.

The workload is unrealistic and is typically given to the highest performer on the Help Desk and the rest of the Help Desk staff are allowed to ride the "coat tails" of the person that puts out the most work. Pay is very bad for this position even if it is an entry level IT position. You are also very rarely acknowledged for your hard work and anything you accomplish. Since Leaving I have been promoted TWICE within 1 year and am truly considered a high performer with my new employer and they show me I am valued here.

The morale within the IT department is terrible at best. People do not work together, there is severe lack of communication, and plans are not carried out in a timely nor orderly fashion. This typically causes projects to come together frantically at the last minute and in a very confusing and messy manner.

Unless you want to be held down and do nothing but earn a paycheck look no further and apply within the IT department at United Federal Credit Union. – less
Great pay!
Call Center-Member Service Advisor (Former Employee), Saint Joseph, MIApril 14, 2013
Pros: great pay & benefits, flexible work schedule...
Cons: very stressful, all about the bucks
A company that's NOT as member focused as they used to be. Had great co-workers, not to much to say about the management.
A BANK not a Credit Union....
Teller (Former Employee), South West MIMarch 7, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: communication, lack of management exsperience, stressful, job security
Okay company to work for. Management doesn't communicate at all. If you request time off, good luck getting it off. Plan on working at least 2 weekends a month in most branches if not more... They under staff most branches causing it to be stressful ! Alot of the managers will try and pull a fast one on you if your not on top of your game. I was also – more... told by fellow co-workers when hired to watch your back people will throw you under the bus, and I witnessed this first hand multiple times. They will also make you do tasks not originally defined in your job title, so be prepared. The only good thing was the benefits. Pay was average. Many members and even staff complain about how this place is turning into a bank and they just want a profit and no longer care who the members are as people. They view them as numbers and working on the front line this was very evident. Overall this place is stressful and you will be worked more then you should be. I wouldn't recommend this job if your looking for job security as its not there. – less
Good pay
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee), MichiganFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: good benefits and good pay
Cons: poor communications and not clearly defined goals
A very stressful work environment, with constant and inconsistent changes in direction. Poor Internal communications and infrastructure. Not a company I would recommend.

March 7, 2013

your right very poor direction and communication ! And stress was beyond what it should be from a job. The disorganization is the cause as you never know what the next day will bring.

Great Learning Experience
Intern (Former Employee), Reno, NevadaFebruary 16, 2013
Pros: learning
It was a great learning experience and I am lucky my school provided such an opportunity
Good Place - Good Benefits
Staff Accountant (Former Employee), MichiganJanuary 10, 2013
Pros: hours, benefits, people
Expectations are clearly set. Success is easy if you are willing to work for it.
Poor management and scheduling
Teller (Former Employee), Statesville, NCOctober 23, 2012
Pros: hour long lunch
Cons: poor management, poor scheduling, poor pay, poor benefits
I worked at UFCU as a teller. When I was hired, it was under the impression that I would be working 20-25 hours per week, and that it would be a semi-regular schedule. I was also told that I would work about one Saturday per month. Once I was on the job, it became clear that there was NO sort of regular schedule at all. I was told to schedule doctor – more... appointments around my work schedule, but I never had a consistent day off (if a day off at all) nor consistent hours. And when the schedule was made, it would often change from one day to the next. Also, I ended up working at least 2-3 Saturdays a month, sometimes all in a row. Also, some days you would be scheduled to work 4-5 hours (with no break at all) and some days you would be scheduled 10 hours (with just one lunch break and no other breaks). In addition to all of this craziness, the pay was not competitive and the benefits for part time employees were crazy expensive (for one person, we're talking almost 20-25% of pay).

On another note, the computer systems were not designed for UFCU specifically. Simple transactions were made harder because you had to know the work around for the computer. Luckily I am good with computers, because the training on how to actually use the software that you use EVERY day on the job was terrible. There were consistently IT issues, and a general lack of communication in the company when it came to computer software upgrades or changes.

Lastly, there really was no opportunity for advancement at the company. As a teller, you were not likely to get a pay raise, and the only way to advance would be to move to Michigan where the main offices were located. The people who worked at my branch were nice, but their hands were tied as far as what they could do because of upper management.

Overall, if you are desperate for a job, and you can survive being micromanaged and shoved around, then it might be worth your time to work here until something better comes along. – less

November 5, 2012

Since the untimely death of the former CEO - the Credit Union has been on a downward spiral. Long time employees are terminated and new hires are not staying long. Low morale is prevalent. No longer the number 1 place to work. If you are looking for a career - go elsewhere!

Interesting
Network Administrator (Former Employee), Mortantown, WVSeptember 4, 2012
Cons: pay
There really wasn't a typical day because I do not believe that this position was written to have explicid responsibilities. I wasn't there very long.

I was given a task when I accepted the position. That task was to get the T1 operational for the branch offices so they could get rid of the modems. The previous idividual had worked on the T1 for 2 – more... years and was not able to get it functional. I dived right in. It did not take me long to figure out the issue was the router that was installed was for a T1 not a fractual T1. I had the router switched out with a router with a DSU/CSU and this resolved the issue. I traveled to the branch offices and setup the link to the T1. The next task given was to migrate from Novel 4.11 to Microsoft Window 2003 AD. This task was done in no time. The company terminated the accountant I was asked to fill in as the accountant until one could be hired. My daily taks now became conducting all the accounting tasks, running all the reports on the AS400 that were required monthly. I needed to learn how to do both these tasks quite quickly. I also taught myself how to manage the electronic sign outside to avertise any rate changes or specials the bank was running on mortage loans or loans in general. I also trained the new accountant.

The hardest part of my job is that it was very little IT and more of me filling in where I was needed,

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting the T1 fully functional in just a couple of months. – less
career opportunity
Bank Teller (Former Employee), Benton Harbor, MIAugust 1, 2012
Pros: entry level within my career path
Cons: pay rate
I loved working at the bank. I learned a lot about fiance and general ledgere. There was a lot of growth potential and advancement in my career choice.
career opportunity
Bank Teller (Former Employee), Benton Harbor, MIAugust 1, 2012
Pros: entry level within my career path
Cons: pay rate

About United Federal Credit Union

United Federal Credit Union has served its members since 1949 by helping them build a sound financial future. – More from ZoomInfo »