United Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

One of the best places I've ever worked
Project & Administrative HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Joseph, MIJune 4, 2016
United Federal Credit Union is by far one of the best places I've ever worked and they are by the number one employer in the Southwest Michigan region.
Pros
Compensation and benefits packages
Good place to work for
Core Collector (Former Employee) –  Niles, MIOctober 21, 2016
Enjoyed working for United Federal, but there was no room for advancement unless you knew someone in management or you had been a teller. Some of my coworkers needed to work on their work ethic.
Great Place to work.
Executive Team Assistant (Current Employee) –  Niles, MIMarch 12, 2016
UFCU is a great employer to work for. The people are knowledgeable and very friendly. The benefits are excellent and the opportunity for advancement is great.
I loved my members and people from other departments
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fletcher, NCDecember 17, 2015
I loved United and the members I served. I did everything that I could to make their financial goals a reality. I have members that would wait for me every day and that would only call me for help. I truly miss them.
My son got sick a year and a half ago and that caused me too much stress. With the new building and marketing company building business causing the work load to more than double and no new hires I worked hard and would not get lunches on regular basis. I was ok with that because I am very goal minded and wanted to keep my name at the top.
I met with members and opened accounts that included verifying info and data entry along with approving the account.
I did the same with loans. Qualifying loans based on information I requested from members adhering to strict lending guidelines.
Paperwork had to be organized and well maintained.

My son is better now and I want part time to be able to help some with my grand child who is 6 months old.
Pros
Members, benefits, coworkers
Cons
working thru lunches, life at that time was too hard to keep up.
A BANK not a Credit Union....
Teller (Former Employee) –  South West MIMarch 7, 2013
Okay company to work for. Management doesn't communicate at all. If you request time off, good luck getting it off. Plan on working at least 2 weekends a month in most branches if not more... They under staff most branches causing it to be stressful ! Alot of the managers will try and pull a fast one on you if your not on top of your game. I was also told by fellow co-workers when hired to watch your back people will throw you under the bus, and I witnessed this first hand multiple times. They will also make you do tasks not originally defined in your job title, so be prepared. The only good thing was the benefits. Pay was average. Many members and even staff complain about how this place is turning into a bank and they just want a profit and no longer care who the members are as people. They view them as numbers and working on the front line this was very evident. Overall this place is stressful and you will be worked more then you should be. I wouldn't recommend this job if your looking for job security as its not there.
benefits
Cons
communication, lack of management exsperience, stressful, job security
Great place to grow and advance.
Teller (Former Employee) –  Niles, MISeptember 9, 2015
Upper management was wonderful and positive. The benefits are great. A lot is required of employees there but the compensation is worth the effort.
Pros
benefits and advancement
Cons
Human Resources has a few hang-ups.
Refreshing and fulfilling workplace.
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIApril 21, 2014
A normal day consists of laughter and stories, obviously there is work but it doesn't feel like it when you are there. Management stays on top of the situation and generally will help any member within their control. My co-workers were intelligent and got along very well. I'd have to say the hardest part of that job was making sure you balanced at the end of each work day, but that's a far sight in comparison to everything they helped you with. I enjoyed working for the company, earning the pay, soaking up the benefits and actually met my wife there!
Pros
Cons
I left in hopes of moving to another state.
Wonder work environment with excellent employee engagement
Benefits Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MIMarch 3, 2014
I enjoy going to work and being at work. My co-workers have great drive not only for themselves but for our team as a whole. We all back each other up and strive to assist each other to get any project done.

My supervisors have been the most inspiring mentors I have had the opportunity to work with. They enjoy watching us grow and learn each day. I am most thankful for being able to learn from their experiences.

I walk in not knowing what issues I will be faced with daily but know I have the support of my manager and team. I am responsible for handling all benefit related issues and any employee relations problem.

I enjoy leading our employees in the correct direction and offering any opportunity for them to learn.
Pros
Great benefits package, employee engagement and wonderful team work
Cons
Overall a good organization, environment was not for me.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MINovember 29, 2014
Overall the United Federal Credit Union seems to be a good organization. The benefits, pay and extras were great. I did not like the work environment and lack of professionalism in the area I worked. Blatant favoritism, inappropriate comments, demeaning and egotistical attitudes, and dishonesty were regularly present. Others may have better luck in a different role or in a different department. Choose wisely.
Pros
Great benefits, pay and extras, Good values
Cons
Poor work environment, management
Professional environment with great people to work with
MORTGAGE LOAN UNDERWRITER (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MIAugust 19, 2015
Really enjoyed working at UFCU. Great people to work with. Management is down to earth and friendly. Good benefits and flexible with needing time off with sick kids.
My opinion only
MEMBER SERVICE ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MIMarch 2, 2014
this company has been very good to me and my family. There are times your job can be very stressful due to demand, but at the same time, I appreciate the demand. Without demand there's no supply therefore, I do not have a job to do. United FCU provide great benefit package, St Joseph area has great schools and great place to raise children.
It was a good place to work until it started getting political
Teller (Former Employee) –  St. Joseph/HollandApril 29, 2015
They tend to follow the people with most experience, and give them the best chances at moving up in the company. Make sure you are hitting all your goals or they will have no problem letting you go.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Watch your back with other employees
Great Place to Work
Treasury Products Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MIMay 28, 2015
Benefits are great, work is interesting and co-worker are friendly. Good work environment with good communication from Management. Thank you
Great pay!
Call Center-Member Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MIApril 14, 2013
A company that's NOT as member focused as they used to be. Had great co-workers, not to much to say about the management.
Pros
great pay & benefits, flexible work schedule...
Cons
very stressful, all about the bucks
Good pay
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  MichiganFebruary 27, 2013
A very stressful work environment, with constant and inconsistent changes in direction. Poor Internal communications and infrastructure. Not a company I would recommend.
Pros
good benefits and good pay
Cons
poor communications and not clearly defined goals
A great place to work
Training Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MIJanuary 31, 2016
The experience gained has been great! I've learned to use so many different systems, gained an understanding of banking regulations, and the basics of finance. The culture and people are the best part of working at United.
Loved the job, but....
Member Service Rep (Former Employee) –  St Joseph, MIMarch 28, 2014
The management is down right horrible. I honestly do not understand where they find these people. You can not go to them with questions because, A: They wont know the answer or B: Will make you feel like your an idiot for not knowing the answer, complete with eye roll and a bad attitude.
When I was hired on I was told that I would have more time with my family compared to the company I was working for, LIE. Managers refuse to work a Saturday which I've never ever heard of. I was also told that the goals were very easy to hit, not true they are actually higher than big banks!
The computer system is anything but a helpful tool for you to use to do your everyday job. And training, oh it's the worst. You get to sit in front of a computer screen for 8 hours a day for 2 weeks, usually all by yourself then take a test at the end. Nobody is there for you to ask questions to if you need to. If your a hands on learner like myself you will start your job going in completely blind.
Turnover rate is extremely high. I believe this stems from the "cliques" that have formed and if you don't participate in the elementary school drama then you are stabbed in the back and let go. Don't expect to get any feedback unless its negative.
I can say I loved UFCU's views and beliefs, I don't think the CEO or VP's have any idea of what is going on in the branches. If they did I'm confident that they would take care of the issues.
Benefits and pay are good, but not worth the bullying. You are made to be fearful that you will be fired because of any small mistake.
Pros
Great benefits and the company as a whole is fantastic
Cons
Poor management, no job security, only negative feedback
Pressure to make "sales" overshadows everything else.
Teller (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVAugust 14, 2013
Great company as far as benefits goes.
My co-workers were wonderful!!
The pressure to make sales causes a lot of stress.
Good Place - Good Benefits
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  MichiganJanuary 10, 2013
Expectations are clearly set. Success is easy if you are willing to work for it.
Pros
hours, benefits, people
Poor management and scheduling
Teller (Former Employee) –  Statesville, NCOctober 23, 2012
I worked at UFCU as a teller. When I was hired, it was under the impression that I would be working 20-25 hours per week, and that it would be a semi-regular schedule. I was also told that I would work about one Saturday per month. Once I was on the job, it became clear that there was NO sort of regular schedule at all. I was told to schedule doctor appointments around my work schedule, but I never had a consistent day off (if a day off at all) nor consistent hours. And when the schedule was made, it would often change from one day to the next. Also, I ended up working at least 2-3 Saturdays a month, sometimes all in a row. Also, some days you would be scheduled to work 4-5 hours (with no break at all) and some days you would be scheduled 10 hours (with just one lunch break and no other breaks). In addition to all of this craziness, the pay was not competitive and the benefits for part time employees were crazy expensive (for one person, we're talking almost 20-25% of pay).

On another note, the computer systems were not designed for UFCU specifically. Simple transactions were made harder because you had to know the work around for the computer. Luckily I am good with computers, because the training on how to actually use the software that you use EVERY day on the job was terrible. There were consistently IT issues, and a general lack of communication in the company when it came to computer software upgrades or changes.

Lastly, there really was no opportunity for advancement at the company. As a teller, you were not likely to get a pay raise, and the only way to advance would
  more... be to move to Michigan where the main offices were located. The people who worked at my branch were nice, but their hands were tied as far as what they could do because of upper management.

Overall, if you are desperate for a job, and you can survive being micromanaged and shoved around, then it might be worth your time to work here until something better comes along.
Pros
hour long lunch
Cons
poor management, poor scheduling, poor pay, poor benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Federal Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8