United Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

Branch Manager
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Hendersonville, NCJanuary 24, 2017
Good company to work for. Great Benefits. Outstanding Team and leadership from the local market. Couldn't ask for a better team to work with. Recently there has been new leadership (CEO, Senior Leadership) change in the company's direction. Not sure if the direction is good , its still too early to tell. Culture is amazing due to the local leadership. More of a corporate setting the higher you go. Corporate really doesn't appreciate the local growth or at least they don't show it, however the local leadership does and shows it. Ones of those that leads by example, expects a lot, but rewards for the hard work. Enjoyable part of the job is the local people you work with, from members to team members. They are some of the best in the business. Member facing, would run a teller transaction, to open new accounts, work with a loan application from equity lines, car loans, credit cards and personal lines of credit. Business call, from cold calling to community events. Sales goals, Referral goals are expected. They have a growth plan for Tellers and Member Service Advisors ranging from Bronze to Platinum levels. Pay is good, little low for this market area, but still pretty good. Again I say best part of the job is working with great team locally and helping the members with their needs. Very community oriented. Not so much opportunity for growth. The corporate office being in Michigan, you have more job opportunities, due to more office and branches, along with the operation center, little harder to do that with fewer offices in the local market here in NC.
Pros
Local Management and Team, Benefits
Wouldn't recommend this organization
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Fletcher, NCFebruary 9, 2017
The upper management is very unprofessional. Their expectations of employees is high, but their training and leadership is poor. They openly humiliate employees. Office managers are micro managed, and are expectted to use these same techniques with their own staff. They believe in manipulating employees to get what they want and seem happy to do it that way.
One of the best places I've ever worked
Project & Administrative HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Joseph, MIJune 4, 2016
United Federal Credit Union is by far one of the best places I've ever worked and they are by the number one employer in the Southwest Michigan region.
Pros
Compensation and benefits packages
Good place to work for
Core Collector (Former Employee) –  Niles, MIOctober 21, 2016
Enjoyed working for United Federal, but there was no room for advancement unless you knew someone in management or you had been a teller. Some of my coworkers needed to work on their work ethic.
people came in and out including managemen
Teller (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIMarch 9, 2017
• Cashier, daily paperwork, open/close, safe deposits, stock shelves, ordering, interviewing, hiring/firing, reporting variances to corporate home office, scheduling, check vendors in and assess inventory, changing and updating gas prices, assign daily tasks to employees
Pros
Remaining employees knew their jobs
Cons
too many new employees
I loved my members and people from other departments
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fletcher, NCDecember 17, 2015
I loved United and the members I served. I did everything that I could to make their financial goals a reality. I have members that would wait for me every day and that would only call me for help. I truly miss them.
My son got sick a year and a half ago and that caused me too much stress. With the new building and marketing company building business causing the work load to more than double and no new hires I worked hard and would not get lunches on regular basis. I was ok with that because I am very goal minded and wanted to keep my name at the top.
I met with members and opened accounts that included verifying info and data entry along with approving the account.
I did the same with loans. Qualifying loans based on information I requested from members adhering to strict lending guidelines.
Paperwork had to be organized and well maintained.

My son is better now and I want part time to be able to help some with my grand child who is 6 months old.
Pros
Members, benefits, coworkers
Cons
working thru lunches, life at that time was too hard to keep up.
Great Place to work.
Executive Team Assistant (Current Employee) –  Niles, MIMarch 12, 2016
UFCU is a great employer to work for. The people are knowledgeable and very friendly. The benefits are excellent and the opportunity for advancement is great.
Management is lackluster and members are the worst
Teller (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARJuly 28, 2016
Here at United Federal you will find the worst members of all time. I have worked 3+ years in retail and have never met members/customers as bad as the ones I encounter here. Along with that, management is nowhere to be found when you really need them. Also, their training consist of pawning you off on another teller.
A BANK not a Credit Union....
Teller (Former Employee) –  South West MIMarch 7, 2013
Okay company to work for. Management doesn't communicate at all. If you request time off, good luck getting it off. Plan on working at least 2 weekends a month in most branches if not more... They under staff most branches causing it to be stressful ! Alot of the managers will try and pull a fast one on you if your not on top of your game. I was also told by fellow co-workers when hired to watch your back people will throw you under the bus, and I witnessed this first hand multiple times. They will also make you do tasks not originally defined in your job title, so be prepared. The only good thing was the benefits. Pay was average. Many members and even staff complain about how this place is turning into a bank and they just want a profit and no longer care who the members are as people. They view them as numbers and working on the front line this was very evident. Overall this place is stressful and you will be worked more then you should be. I wouldn't recommend this job if your looking for job security as its not there.
benefits
Cons
communication, lack of management exsperience, stressful, job security
Refreshing and fulfilling workplace.
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIApril 21, 2014
A normal day consists of laughter and stories, obviously there is work but it doesn't feel like it when you are there. Management stays on top of the situation and generally will help any member within their control. My co-workers were intelligent and got along very well. I'd have to say the hardest part of that job was making sure you balanced at the end of each work day, but that's a far sight in comparison to everything they helped you with. I enjoyed working for the company, earning the pay, soaking up the benefits and actually met my wife there!
Pros
Cons
I left in hopes of moving to another state.

Want to know more about United Federal Credit Union?

Ask a question
Wonder work environment with excellent employee engagement
Benefits Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MIMarch 3, 2014
I enjoy going to work and being at work. My co-workers have great drive not only for themselves but for our team as a whole. We all back each other up and strive to assist each other to get any project done.

My supervisors have been the most inspiring mentors I have had the opportunity to work with. They enjoy watching us grow and learn each day. I am most thankful for being able to learn from their experiences.

I walk in not knowing what issues I will be faced with daily but know I have the support of my manager and team. I am responsible for handling all benefit related issues and any employee relations problem.

I enjoy leading our employees in the correct direction and offering any opportunity for them to learn.
Pros
Great benefits package, employee engagement and wonderful team work
Cons
Overall a good organization, environment was not for me.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MINovember 29, 2014
Overall the United Federal Credit Union seems to be a good organization. The benefits, pay and extras were great. I did not like the work environment and lack of professionalism in the area I worked. Blatant favoritism, inappropriate comments, demeaning and egotistical attitudes, and dishonesty were regularly present. Others may have better luck in a different role or in a different department. Choose wisely.
Pros
Great benefits, pay and extras, Good values
Cons
Poor work environment, management
Great place to grow and advance.
Teller (Former Employee) –  Niles, MISeptember 9, 2015
Upper management was wonderful and positive. The benefits are great. A lot is required of employees there but the compensation is worth the effort.
Pros
benefits and advancement
Cons
Human Resources has a few hang-ups.
Professional environment with great people to work with
MORTGAGE LOAN UNDERWRITER (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MIAugust 19, 2015
Really enjoyed working at UFCU. Great people to work with. Management is down to earth and friendly. Good benefits and flexible with needing time off with sick kids.
My opinion only
MEMBER SERVICE ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MIMarch 2, 2014
this company has been very good to me and my family. There are times your job can be very stressful due to demand, but at the same time, I appreciate the demand. Without demand there's no supply therefore, I do not have a job to do. United FCU provide great benefit package, St Joseph area has great schools and great place to raise children.
It was a good place to work until it started getting political
Teller (Former Employee) –  St. Joseph/HollandApril 29, 2015
They tend to follow the people with most experience, and give them the best chances at moving up in the company. Make sure you are hitting all your goals or they will have no problem letting you go.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Watch your back with other employees
Great Place to Work
Treasury Products Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MIMay 28, 2015
Benefits are great, work is interesting and co-worker are friendly. Good work environment with good communication from Management. Thank you
Great pay!
Call Center-Member Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MIApril 14, 2013
A company that's NOT as member focused as they used to be. Had great co-workers, not to much to say about the management.
Pros
great pay & benefits, flexible work schedule...
Cons
very stressful, all about the bucks
Good pay
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  MichiganFebruary 27, 2013
A very stressful work environment, with constant and inconsistent changes in direction. Poor Internal communications and infrastructure. Not a company I would recommend.
Pros
good benefits and good pay
Cons
poor communications and not clearly defined goals
Loved the job, but....
Member Service Rep (Former Employee) –  St Joseph, MIMarch 28, 2014
The management is down right horrible. I honestly do not understand where they find these people. You can not go to them with questions because, A: They wont know the answer or B: Will make you feel like your an idiot for not knowing the answer, complete with eye roll and a bad attitude.
When I was hired on I was told that I would have more time with my family compared to the company I was working for, LIE. Managers refuse to work a Saturday which I've never ever heard of. I was also told that the goals were very easy to hit, not true they are actually higher than big banks!
The computer system is anything but a helpful tool for you to use to do your everyday job. And training, oh it's the worst. You get to sit in front of a computer screen for 8 hours a day for 2 weeks, usually all by yourself then take a test at the end. Nobody is there for you to ask questions to if you need to. If your a hands on learner like myself you will start your job going in completely blind.
Turnover rate is extremely high. I believe this stems from the "cliques" that have formed and if you don't participate in the elementary school drama then you are stabbed in the back and let go. Don't expect to get any feedback unless its negative.
I can say I loved UFCU's views and beliefs, I don't think the CEO or VP's have any idea of what is going on in the branches. If they did I'm confident that they would take care of the issues.
Benefits and pay are good, but not worth the bullying. You are made to be fearful that you will be fired because of any small mistake.
Pros
Great benefits and the company as a whole is fantastic
Cons
Poor management, no job security, only negative feedback

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Federal Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9