United Federal Credit Union Employee Review

View all United Federal Credit Union reviews

IT holds you down and doesn't let you learn
Help Desk Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Joseph, MIApril 30, 2013
Working in IT at United is horrible at best. There are certain "groups" and if you are not in one of these "groups" then you are held down and not allowed to learn or grow. I was not allowed to be involved with server builds or getting involved with new technology so I was not able to grow and develop the skillsets to move to the next level in IT while there. The very few times I would manage to be involved with the Network Administrators or Systems Engineers they would treat you like you are the dumbest person on earth and usually didn't answer questions that you would have. Management tends to play favorites as well within this department and picks and chooses who they will become friends with and only those people will have opportunities come up.

The workload is unrealistic and is typically given to the highest performer on the Help Desk and the rest of the Help Desk staff are allowed to ride the "coat tails" of the person that puts out the most work. Pay is very bad for this position even if it is an entry level IT position. You are also very rarely acknowledged for your hard work and anything you accomplish. Since Leaving I have been promoted TWICE within 1 year and am truly considered a high performer with my new employer and they show me I am valued here.

The morale within the IT department is terrible at best. People do not work together, there is severe lack of communication, and plans are not carried out in a timely nor orderly fashion. This typically causes projects to come together frantically at the last minute and in a very confusing and messy manner.
  more...

Unless you want to be held down and do nothing but earn a paycheck look no further and apply within the IT department at United Federal Credit Union.
Pros
I made a paycheck
Cons
Held down, not allowed to learn new technologies, Network Administrators, Engineers, and Management play favorites and belittle Help Desk staff unless you are a favorite. Very low pay.

Other United Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

Poor, immature leadership
Finance (Current Employee) –  St. Joseph, MIJanuary 11, 2018
Unstable environment, inexperienced leadership, we are losing our most talented people. The new CEO appears to lack confidence and relies in the advice of the most inexperienced members of his team.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Corporate Management
Horrible Management and Culture - AVOID
Member Services - Consumer and/or Mortgage Sales (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MIJanuary 10, 2018
UFCU has, in my opinion, an utterly incompetent senior leadership team. They have no idea how to run a company. Most have no formal education or substantive professional experience outside of the credit union and have only obtained and retained their positions because of nepotism.

The culture, or lack thereof, is probably the only thing about the company that is worse than it's leadership. It's a corporate credit union at its worst. Front-line staff are disconnected from senior leadership and unvalued. Suggestions for improvement are discouraged and there's no attempt to improve the work life of the employee.

If it wasn't for the compensation, which is competitive, UFCU would have a very difficult time finding and retaining employees.
Pros
Competitive compensation package
Cons
Senior leadership, management and culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Federal Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9