United Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews in United States

One of the best places I've ever worked
Project & Administrative HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Joseph, MIJune 4, 2016
United Federal Credit Union is by far one of the best places I've ever worked and they are by the number one employer in the Southwest Michigan region.
Pros
Compensation and benefits packages
Great Place to work.
Executive Team Assistant (Current Employee) –  Niles, MIMarch 12, 2016
UFCU is a great employer to work for. The people are knowledgeable and very friendly. The benefits are excellent and the opportunity for advancement is great.
A great place to work
Training Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MIJanuary 31, 2016
The experience gained has been great! I've learned to use so many different systems, gained an understanding of banking regulations, and the basics of finance. The culture and people are the best part of working at United.
Cons
process customer transactions and loan applications accurately
Assistant Branch Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Buchanan, MIDecember 30, 2015
daily activity includes processing customer deposits, withdrawals, loan payments as well as processing loan payments.
Pros
the ability to move forward in the company
Cons
having off days where you may not balance accurately
I loved my members and people from other departments
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fletcher, NCDecember 17, 2015
I loved United and the members I served. I did everything that I could to make their financial goals a reality. I have members that would wait for me every day and that would only call me for help. I truly miss them.
My son got sick a year and a half ago and that caused me too much stress. With the new building and marketing company building business causing the work load to more than double and no new hires I worked hard and would not get lunches on regular basis. I was ok with that because I am very goal minded and wanted to keep my name at the top.
I met with members and opened accounts that included verifying info and data entry along with approving the account.
I did the same with loans. Qualifying loans based on information I requested from members adhering to strict lending guidelines.
Paperwork had to be organized and well maintained.

My son is better now and I want part time to be able to help some with my grand child who is 6 months old.
Pros
Members, benefits, coworkers
Cons
working thru lunches, life at that time was too hard to keep up.
Great place to grow and advance.
Teller (Former Employee) –  Niles, MISeptember 9, 2015
Upper management was wonderful and positive. The benefits are great. A lot is required of employees there but the compensation is worth the effort.
Pros
benefits and advancement
Cons
Human Resources has a few hang-ups.
Professional environment with great people to work with
MORTGAGE LOAN UNDERWRITER (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MIAugust 19, 2015
Really enjoyed working at UFCU. Great people to work with. Management is down to earth and friendly. Good benefits and flexible with needing time off with sick kids.
Good
Member Service Advisor/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 19, 2015
While working there, they offered fairness to qualified individuals. Allowed autonomy for managers to have the ability to manage their branches. I've learned a lot at UFCU.
Very fun atmosphere
Teller (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIJuly 8, 2015
Greeting customers and taking care of their banking needs in a timely manner. Enjoyed the co-workers at birthday lunches we would have, fast paced transactions, and getting drawer balanced.
Great Place to Work
Treasury Products Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MIMay 28, 2015
Benefits are great, work is interesting and co-worker are friendly. Good work environment with good communication from Management. Thank you

Want to know more about United Federal Credit Union?

Ask a question
It was a good place to work until it started getting political
Teller (Former Employee) –  St. Joseph/HollandApril 29, 2015
They tend to follow the people with most experience, and give them the best chances at moving up in the company. Make sure you are hitting all your goals or they will have no problem letting you go.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Watch your back with other employees
Overall a good organization, environment was not for me.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MINovember 29, 2014
Overall the United Federal Credit Union seems to be a good organization. The benefits, pay and extras were great. I did not like the work environment and lack of professionalism in the area I worked. Blatant favoritism, inappropriate comments, demeaning and egotistical attitudes, and dishonesty were regularly present. Others may have better luck in a different role or in a different department. Choose wisely.
Pros
great benefits, pay and extras, good values
Cons
poor work environment, management
Fun place to start your financial institution career
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Holland, MISeptember 9, 2014
assist customers, balance drawer and cash machines, update customer information, review member documents
enjoyed working for uncu. always treated with respect.
teller (Former Employee) –  Stevensville, MIJune 26, 2014
teller transactions for members of the credit union.
Balancing the ATM, occasionally.
I learned tollerance.
The hardest part of the position was cross selling other credit union services.
The most enjoyable, was getting to know routine members
Pros
customer service
Cons
sales
Refreshing and fulfilling workplace.
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIApril 21, 2014
A normal day consists of laughter and stories, obviously there is work but it doesn't feel like it when you are there. Management stays on top of the situation and generally will help any member within their control. My co-workers were intelligent and got along very well. I'd have to say the hardest part of that job was making sure you balanced at the end of each work day, but that's a far sight in comparison to everything they helped you with. I enjoyed working for the company, earning the pay, soaking up the benefits and actually met my wife there!
Pros
everything
Cons
i left in hopes of moving to another state.
Loved the job, but....
Member Service Rep (Former Employee) –  St Joseph, MIMarch 28, 2014
The management is down right horrible. I honestly do not understand where they find these people. You can not go to them with questions because, A: They wont know the answer or B: Will make you feel like your an idiot for not knowing the answer, complete with eye roll and a bad attitude.
When I was hired on I was told that I would have more time with my family compared to the company I was working for, LIE. Managers refuse to work a Saturday which I've never ever heard of. I was also told that the goals were very easy to hit, not true they are actually higher than big banks!
The computer system is anything but a helpful tool for you to use to do your everyday job. And training, oh it's the worst. You get to sit in front of a computer screen for 8 hours a day for 2 weeks, usually all by yourself then take a test at the end. Nobody is there for you to ask questions to if you need to. If your a hands on learner like myself you will start your job going in completely blind.
Turnover rate is extremely high. I believe this stems from the "cliques" that have formed and if you don't participate in the elementary school drama then you are stabbed in the back and let go. Don't expect to get any feedback unless its negative.
I can say I loved UFCU's views and beliefs, I don't think the CEO or VP's have any idea of what is going on in the branches. If they did I'm confident that they would take care of the issues.
Benefits and pay are good, but not worth the bullying. You are made to be fearful that you will be fired because of any small mistake.
Pros
great benefits and the company as a whole is fantastic
Cons
poor management, no job security, only negative feedback
Wonder work environment with excellent employee engagement
Benefits Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MIMarch 3, 2014
I enjoy going to work and being at work. My co-workers have great drive not only for themselves but for our team as a whole. We all back each other up and strive to assist each other to get any project done.

My supervisors have been the most inspiring mentors I have had the opportunity to work with. They enjoy watching us grow and learn each day. I am most thankful for being able to learn from their experiences.

I walk in not knowing what issues I will be faced with daily but know I have the support of my manager and team. I am responsible for handling all benefit related issues and any employee relations problem.

I enjoy leading our employees in the correct direction and offering any opportunity for them to learn.
Pros
great benefits package, employee engagement and wonderful team work
Cons
location
My opinion only
MEMBER SERVICE ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MIMarch 2, 2014
this company has been very good to me and my family. There are times your job can be very stressful due to demand, but at the same time, I appreciate the demand. Without demand there's no supply therefore, I do not have a job to do. United FCU provide great benefit package, St Joseph area has great schools and great place to raise children.
Director of Business Services/Commercial Division (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MIJanuary 22, 2014
Professional management team. Dedicated to serving the member/customer. My team in the commercial division was talented and took pride in their work.
Sales Sales Sales
MSA (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 22, 2014
This is not your friendly local credit union. Its a big corporation that has lost all interest in their members. All they care about is being number one winning as many awards as they can and making money. If you don't sell enough products or harassing people to sit down with a member service advisor they fire you. People who have worked there 25+ years get let go because their number are not up. Im surprise they still call themselves a credit union when they act exactly like a bank.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Federal Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.