United Federation of Teachers Employee Reviews

Worst work environment
Childcare Learning Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 19, 2017
I have not much good to say about my experience there so I'd rather say nothing and I do not know why I being forced to write this to use the site. ***
Productive workplace
Secretary (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 5, 2016
High volume calls from concerned members. I had great working relationship with co-workers. I enjoyed being able to help members with their concerns.
Pros
Great benefits
Great work environment, friendly co-workers
Program Administrator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 20, 2016
Great work environment, friendly co-workers, enjoyable summer hours and excellent health care. Easy commute from any subway line. Many highly educated folks dedicated to improving the conditions of NYC public schools for students and teachers.
Great atmosphere
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 9, 2016
Is a great place to work in, great co workers. Great management.The hardest part of the job is dealing with rude people on the phone. The most enjoyable part of the job is having great people working with you.
Pros
benefits, yearly raise
Cons
part-time, hours
Intern
Printer/Mailer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 18, 2016
Best first job ever. If I had the opportunity I would go back and continue working there. It was an amazing experience. I was only an intern and I would love a full time position there.
Great easy atmosphere
Benefits/HR Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New YorkJuly 30, 2015
Regular work days. Not much stress. Hard to advance positions. Great Benefits. Difficult for advancement. Hardly any over time. Off on most of the major holidays. Employees are great to deal with..
United Federation of Teachers needs a major overhaul
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 6, 2015
I loved the ideals behind this organization, but they always remained ideals. Management team spent way too much time wrapped up in internal politics. Too many people in this organization are promoted without the proper abilities and skills to succeed in the new position. City schools, students, and teachers are paying for this mismanagement.
Very involved atmosphere with extreme cultural diversity
Receptionist (Contracted) (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJune 25, 2014
Obviously any day is New York City can never be coined as a "typical day".
This job offers a lot of excitement due to the problem resolution skills necessary to support the union members (teachers). It allows for much team work as well independent thinking.
This occupation is extremely busy from the moment you enter the building.
Pros
Multi-faceted work environment
Cons
The long commute from New Jersey
Productive and Family- Oriented Environment
Executive Administrative Asst (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 27, 2013
Overall, this has been a great work experience. I have grown and develop more throughout the years. It is a face paced work environment but with great co workers I have always looked forward to come to work.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Not paid for work and time thats put in
Challenging
U-Rating Advocate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 30, 2013
A typical day would start out working on cases where educators
received U-Ratings in their performance as educators . I learned that some educators had not performed to the highest standards that were expected however it was my responsibility to represent them fairly. Management and staff worked together for the good of the students. The most difficult part of the job was to inform staff that their performance was unsatisfactory but they would .get due process. The most enjoyable part was to see due process work and teachers and staff could say a job well done.
Pros
conventions
Cons
educators not performing
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 27, 2013
i learned how to handle calls, do light office work and take messages,call in for bike messengers to deliver packages . The hardest part of my day was dealing with rude visitors and callers to the office. No matter what we always had to remain professional. The easiest apart was sitting there at the desk waiting for the phones to ring and for someone to come ito the building.
Pros
had opportunities to move up, gave yearly raises
Cons
had no insurance was working part time
Worst experience ever!!!!... DO NOT WORK HERE.
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 23, 2013
As previous comment mentioned " it's all about the politics and social groups". Forget about your talent, devotion, hardwork or education.
If your not going to play the game. Point blank your not going to make it in this work place. As a union they are the worst from top to bottom. The entire place is curupt. There maybe a hand few that aren't but these employees are miserable and will not speak up out of fear for their livelihood. It's disgusting the money laundering, infidelity behavior that takes place in there. I got out before I got stuck between a rock and a hard place. They will suck you in and it's almost impossible to get out ... without being forced out or given a buy out. THE UFT IS A MODERN DAY GANG. <<< seriously reconsider this place.
Pros
Do not get involved
Cons
Nothing is free, Everything has a price in there.
Great Experience
Child Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 31, 2013
A regular day as a Care Care Provider is very unpredictable, Kids are varied with their different personalities. Working with kids I learned to
multitask, improve their reading, math, comprehension and writing skills. The hardest part of my job was the short year I spent with them.
Pros
making a small difference
Junior Project Manager
Assistant / Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 7, 2013
Working for the United Federation of Teachers as an Assistant Project Manager for Professional Development Team (Para-Professionals) where I provided general administrative support, workshop planning; database management; mail merges and word processing.This was a fun and challenging position. Management was great along with my colleagues and teachers.
Pros
management
Cons
na
A company that fights for their members interest!
Group Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 8, 2012
UFT has really been established prior to 1965. Negotiating Benefits, Employee Rights, Longevity etc. for many bargaining units in the New York City area.
Pros
friendly atmosphere
A lot fun to be working there
Mailroom Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 5, 2012
Iit is a great place to work people are so nice and helpful and I have some of the best co workers
Pros
nice place to work
Cons
to far to travel
An evil organization that treats its employees worse than garbage
Communications Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 10, 2012
An evil organization that treats its employees worse than garbage. If you are not willing to really play politics, please don't risk going there.
Pros
discounted movie tickets
Cons
the environment is highly toxic!