United Fire Group Employee Reviews

Worse place I ever worked
RATER ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Pennington, NJAugust 30, 2016
Computer system horrible. Management very micro managing.
Pay scale not very competitive. Typical day, very stressful!

Good benefits and coworkers.
Great company under going multiple changes in outlook
Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Galveston Texas June 25, 2013
Meeting the needs of others and becoming an independent worker. Have learned to accept change and work with others in a team environment. Management is in a changing curve of attitude and focus. The employees within the company are a great, as with any company you have those that are more self focused. Learning to understand the changes in attitudes of the management team and the focus they have. Working for a company that is employee focused.
Pros
Help with self development
Cons
Changes in the focus
Great experience overall
Loss Control Representative (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 1, 2013
I service a regional territory, completing loss control surveys for current and prospective insureds, developing service plans, and providing onsite training sessions. Experience with upper management has always been pleasant. Great co-workers and the overall experience has been positive.
Pros
Loss Control dept provides work autonomy, good job security.
Cons
Limited potential for advancement
Don't bother working here
und (Former Employee) –  CR home officeApril 21, 2013
Long hours no raises no sick pay --have to use any vacation days you have earned after first 6 months, upper management micro-manages daily behind the scenes after work "parties" where upper management uses that to promote those who go to them-- can not get promoted by hard work or doing a great job, if they don't like you you are bullied out.
Cons
there are so many see review
Decent place to work
Entry-level Web Developer (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAAugust 31, 2012
You have some pretty good benefits here.

The culture is pretty much everyone doing their own thing.

Job security is pretty good, but I don't see a huge upside to advancement since there are lots of employees.

Management seems to keep to themselves and let you work.

Work and life balance is pretty normal.
A small branch office
Rating Associate (Former Employee) –  Westminster, COSeptember 20, 2013
Rate, code and issue quotes, new business, renewals and
Endorsements for all Commercial Lines of Insurance. Compute
premiums for insurance coverage.
Pros
20 min breaks 45 mins to 1 hour lunches. Christmas party
Cons
No talking, if you are late even 5 mins you stay 15 mins to make it up.
Nice place to work. Great team environment.
Commercial Lines Associates Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Pennington, NJMarch 18, 2015
Very high pace. Great people to work with. Constant training. Wonderful hours for parents with children. Flexible work environment.
Pros
Cons
Limited retirement Benefits
Good relationships with management, but work atmosphere could use some work.
Underwriting Intern (Current Employee) –  Rocklin, CAApril 30, 2015
The internship consisted of learning the software, but besides that there was very little learning about insurance and he company itself.
Amazing place to work
Postal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Coprorate OfficeMarch 18, 2015
UFG is a great place to work. One of the very few companies that still have a pension. They treat their employees wonderfully with more paid time off than I've ever had at any other company.
Small company with corporate feel.
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 5, 2014
This company is in a transition period moving from a family atmosphere to a more corporate structure feel. Therefore, you have transformed from a name to a number.
Nice company to work for. Great benefits.
Customer Service Associate-Accounting (Former Employee) –  Lock Haven, PAJuly 31, 2014
I processed payments that were submitted by the agent. I also applied payments that were submitted by EFT and by mail.
Love it
Commercial Rater (Former Employee) –  Galveston, TXOctober 28, 2012
This is a great place to work. Excellent benefits and training for advancement.
Pros
training and benefits
Cons
too many cliques
Toxic Environment to work in the Denver office
Underwriting Department (Former Employee) –  Denver OfficeJune 4, 2013
This is a public website and we know that we can only allow to tell facts, no exaggerations. The following is factual, and is only a sample of what we have/are dealt/dealing with. We are telling the truth that we have/had seen this behavior in the Denver workplace.

This web site says we are not to include any personally identifiable information, so we will do our best to abide by this so please note that the start/end dates are inaccurate. We could not give accurate start date and possible end date as that would be easily, personally identifiable. The following bullet points are having or had taken place AT LEAST WITHIN THE LAST 3-4 YEARS:

-Toxic environment; hate/hated going to work each day

-Employees being let go or wanting to change to a new employer quickly

-Emails being looked at by others within the office on a regular basis, recognizing that it is not against company policy. We have/had just never experience/experienced the amount of time this happens/happened. Isn't there a better use of time?

-A number of employee changes are made within the office that impact or had impacted the relationship of agencies being or had been represented; and some of those agencies commenting or had commented on the constant changes.

-Development plans not what they appear or appeared to be

-Micro-managing ALL work is common

-Many procedures are not in writing and therefore must be asked to others, getting different answers by different employees.

-EVERYONE has to take lunch at 12pm. The reason - to make sure employees did not take a longer lunch than what
  more... they were suppose to; it made it easier to notice this potential practice since everyone had the same start time for lunch

This is just the high level description of the environment that a potential employee needs to know before accepting any kind of position within this office. Please take close consideration before you accept a job with this office.

We wish the information could be more positive, it took us hours to put this together to try to be as factual and to the point as possible. We hope you all take the information seriously.

Pros
Making friends
Cons
See below

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Fire Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8