United Health Services

United Health Services Employer Reviews

Terrible management (former employee)
Medical Office Assistant (Former Employee), Johnson City, NYMarch 15, 2014
UHS has too many young people in management positions with absolutely no experience in management, problems are not delt with fairly, employee problems are "brushed off" , UHS is more run like a business and not very much concerned with patient care, UHS only cares about the almighty dollar.
Worst place I've ever worked
Medical assistant (Former Employee), Johnson cityMarch 4, 2014
Pros: patient contact
Cons: rude management no results when you have a real problem
Management is self orientated and not helpful, rude leadership, hr is not helpful when you have a problem, they will lie to make them selves look better and ignore your calls when you are trying to get ahold of them, fail to keep promises and absolutely worst treatement ever of employees
Challanging job, but has made me much more confident
Nurse Team Leader, RN (Current Employee), Binghamton, NYFebruary 14, 2014
Reviewing schedule to prepare for what to expect as far as challenges. Co-workers are a big asset to the office, working together as a team is extremely helpful to have a productive day. The hardest part if the job can be time, seeing many patients in a day, and dealing with difficult parents and children can be challenging also, must be patient. Most – more... enjoyable part is the children. – less
Educational, But stressful environment
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee), Johnson City, NYJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: health insurance, and 401k
Cons: no breaks, complants volided and not reviewd for maganement, gossup
Very busy, stressful environment with a high turn over in specialty office within in hospital. Management was poor quality, no follow up on employee complaints regarding management. Some coworkers very helpful and would help educate others, others didn't have the time to help wasn't in there job description. The hours and work days were great.
Fantastic place to work.
Social Worker (Former Employee), Binghamton, NYDecember 31, 2013
Pros: learning the community.
Cons: leaving.
I so enjoyed working in the hospital setting. Working with other co-workers. Working with patients and working through their issues in individual settings as well as groups settings. Learned the community when assisting with their placement.
Wonderful place to work
Data Control Clerk - Finance Dept (Former Employee), Johnson City, NYDecember 9, 2013
My day consisted of assuring patients that there personal hospital accounts were correct at all times.
Externship
Externship (Former Employee), Greene, NYOctober 31, 2013
Very friendly place to work. All the employes were helpful with the training that I received.
Loved what I did---it was a challenge.
Credit Specialist (Former Employee), Johnson City, NYOctober 28, 2013
Pros: i made some excellent friends and money during the time i was there.
Cons: the job was short-lived.
My typical day started by setting the computer up and having the records of credits we had on the system. Then I would start to investigate who paid what and who the overpayment should go to, patient or insurance company. It was a time-consuming job, but was always interesting which made the day seem to go faster. I enjoyed my co-workers and made many – more... friends during the time I was there. When they hired me, they failed to tell me that it was just a temporary job, lasting just a little over a year. I took millions of dollars of credits off the system for them and made the appropriate refunds. The job was a definite challenge. – less
Great place to start, not great to stay
Emergency Room Nursing Assistant/Secretary (Former Employee), Johnson City, NYSeptember 18, 2013
Pros: benefits, nice people, experience
Cons: run like a buisness.
The people where all great, and you learn a lot through their education programs. However, I often felt as if there were little opportunity for advancement, and I was constantly on the edge of being replaced. Felt more like a business environment than a healing environment.
Great Start!
Registered Nurse- Intensive Care Unit (Former Employee), Binghamton, NYSeptember 16, 2013
I worked on an 8 bed Intensive Care Unit at Binghamton General Hospital (BGH). This was my first Registered Nursing job out of college. My orientation could have used some improvements, however I still learned a great deal. I took a critical care course and coronary care course during my 6 month orientation. I learned how to take care of patient's on – more... ventilators, drug overdoses, and so much more. I did not like it when critical patient's were sent to Wilson. BGH has an ICU and shouldn't be treated any less. Many of the doctors would have patient's transported to Wilson because they did not want to come to BGH.
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the documentation. I understand how important documentation is, however I feel as if a majority of nursing is spent documenting instead of at the bedside. The most enjoyable part of nursing is the relationships that you build with your fellow employees and most importantly your patient's and their family. Just one true "thank you" makes all those physical and emotional days worth every minute. – less
nursing facilities are difficult to work at
unit assistant in Hemodialysis (Former Employee), Binghamton, NYSeptember 11, 2013
caring for residents was rewarding, though there was more time needed to provide more personal care for each resident
Challenging
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee), Binghamton, NYJuly 25, 2013
I loved working at United Health service as a Mental Health Aide, my co workers were fun and just could not wait to be at work everyday.
UHS places little value on Employees, Medical Library
Library Services Coordinator (Former Employee), Johnson City, NYJuly 16, 2013
Pros: cafeteria has good food at a reasonable price
Cons: poor management, hard work not recognized nor rewarded, blatant favoritism towards library assistant
I worked as a professional librarian for close to 6 years at UHS and I would most certainly not recommend working there in that capacity or in any position that reports to the director of medical affairs. When I was hired the position was salaried and when I got breast cancer and was undergoing radiation therapy they took my salary away from me and – more... made me an hourly worker. Two years later, when I had my health back, I asked my supervisor if I could have my salary back and I was denied. Then I went to human resources and they denied me as well.

In addition to my MLS, I also have formal education in geographic information systems and spatial analysis. When I was denied getting my salary back the first time, I decided to research the role GIS plays in healthcare thinking that could be a way to get my salary back and found out there is a host of possibilities for GIS in medical research. When I began to promote my GIS skills in the medical library, instead of being encouraged and praised for having the initiative to go above and beyond my job description, I was told by the director of medical affairs that I would not be able to work on those projects while I was at the library and would have to do them on my own time despite having immediate interest and support from the medical staff. What kind of organization goes out of their way to stifle and oppress innovation? In most professional librarian positions, professional development is not only encouraged but is also expected!

I was also the senior employee in the medical library and I was forced to sit in the clerical location while the library assistant occupied the private office meant for the librarian. Due to my physical location, I was hit with clerical tasks all day long while the library assistant sat undisturbed in her private office and read magazines and entertained visitors all day. – less

librarian – November 8, 2013

The position of library services coordinator I held at UHS required a master’s degree in library science. That requirement was in place for as long as the position existed. Yet, after I resigned, the director of medical affairs altered the position description and removed the master’s degree requirement so she could promote the library assistant to that position, thus proving the blatant favoritism shown towards this individual who couldn’t even be bothered to perform the duties of her own clerical position. When I was library services coordinator, this library assistant would routinely talk back to me and refuse to do tasks asked of her by me that clearly fell within her job function. This behavior was perfectly fine with the director of medical affairs because they were pals. So evidently, it is laziness and insubordination and who you are a friend with that gets you promoted at UHS rather than your work performance. UHS is a teaching hospital with 5 residency programs and a clinical campus with a nearby medical school. By promoting a clerical assistant with no library training whatsoever to manage their medical library just goes to show what little regard UHS has for medical education and the medical library services provided to support their medical staff.

Behavioral health unit
Mental Health Technician (Current Employee), Binghamton, NYApril 23, 2013
hours 7-1530
I observe different psychological disorders
manager- Don Harrison (607)762-2486
hardest part of my job is having to restrain patients who are a potential danger to themselves or others
Anything to save a contract, at employees' expense.
Program Director (Current Employee), NCApril 22, 2013
Pros: decent benefits
Cons: no guidance or support from management
Poor values, little to no support of employees. Enjoyed working with my own staff and coaching them, however, my upper management was very unstable, rarely supportive and supplied me with no resources to be successful.
Bad management
confidential (Former Employee), do not want to discloseMarch 29, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: no breaks
UHS was a good place to work. I was very fortunate
to have a job that I thought I would be there until I retire.
Moving to another position was a big mistake.
Management did not like teamwork and basically did not
believe in good training on new processes. If you ask questions
to be sure you are learning and doing the process correctly,
the criticism – more... was loud enough for a neighboring department to
hear. – less
Great place to work and they care about their employees.
Access Representative (Current Employee), Binghamton, NYMarch 19, 2013
Pros: great place to work.
Cons: the cons would be my off hours that i work, although it has been my choice.
A typical day at work is YOU NEVER KNOW. Working in the ER is exciting and you never know what is coming thru the door. I have learned so much working here. I have learned to empathize with people less fortunate and realize that there is so many people that are worse off than me. It really puts things into perspective. The hardest part of the job is – more... maybe working the night shift. Although I do love it and am a nite owl...its hard to be totally opposite as my family. Especially at the holidays, but I always find a way to work it out. The most enjoyable part for me is the fact that I have met so many different people from so many different parts of the country. Lots of cultural diversity here in this area! Love that! – less
Rewarding and fun job
NURSING ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Binghamton, NYJanuary 22, 2013
Pros: bonding with patients
Cons: saddness with patient health problems
I was responsible taking care of the patients on the evening shift. It felt good to know that the work I was doing left such a positive impact on the people I was taking care of.
Enviroment Service (Former Employee)
Environmental Service Aide (Former Employee), Johnson City, NYDecember 10, 2012
Pros: the patients were great
Cons: understaffed and management was terrible
Pay wasn't too bad. Always understaffed and management was terrible.
Great Place to work
Food Preparation, Cashier, Caterer, Cook (Current Employee), WilsonOctober 21, 2012
Great Place to work, Great place to recieve care. That pretty much sums it up.