United Hospital Employee Reviews

Productive and helpful
Seasonal Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 22, 2017
A typical day at work consists of creating schedules for the Camp United volunteer participants, checking in with placements to see how everything is going, and assisting with volunteer service staff members. While working there I learned the importance of prioritization as I had to prioritize things that needed to be done first as not everything could be finished everyday. The hardest part of the job was mediating disputes between staff and volunteers. The most enjoyable part of the job was following up with participants to see what they liked and disliked so that we could improve the program for future participants.
Clinical Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 10, 2017
Pharmacists at United Hospital are very competent, and the leadership is top notch. Pharmacy is based on decentralized model, and is overall progressive.
love working at united
Staff Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 8, 2017
Love working at united. Looking for a new job due to just graduating with a Doctorate degree in nursing. Would love to serve the under-served abroad. Would love to teach.
Pharmacy Technician III, Certified (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 2, 2017
I worked at United as a Pharmacy Tech III and enjoyed working there. I left to work as a full time Foster care mom. I enjoyed my co- workers and Pharmacist were very experienced.
Friendlly place to work
PCA/Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNSeptember 26, 2017
One of the best places I've ever worked. Great and loving coworkers which in effect made work enjoyable and easy. There's always help whenever you need it
Very bad experience for me
Radiology Technician (Former Employee) –  Porchester N.YSeptember 17, 2017
Was not a good place to work, because the management was very disorganized. This is the reason that place ended up closed. Most of the stuff did not care, sometimes they disappeared
Cons
ok with short brakes
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 2, 2017
I loved my coworkers here. Direct manager was great. Management in general left a bad taste in my mouth. Unorganized, lack of experience and poor decision making. I was least impressed with this organization of all the organizations I have worked for.
Transport Aide
Transport Aide (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 19, 2017
Nice compensation and benefits. SEIU is the union at the hospital. Nice annual raises, insurance, and dental care as well as qualifying tuition reimbursement. Promotes continuing education.
A good place to work
Med/Surg RN (Former Employee) –  Med surgAugust 16, 2017
Management can be finicky and don't always help where they can. Unions vs corporate tend to get in the way of a productive environment and patient rights. Maybe has improved in the last year?
Emergency Room
Lead Patient Care Associate, Emergency Department (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 10, 2017
The Emergency Room is a fast paced environment with many challenges. The team always worked well together. Communication was great. Pay was competitive. Growth was encouraged.
Registered Nurse
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 25, 2017
Great place to work, pay, and benefits. Culture could improve, but that is something that goes hand in hand with working at a union hospital. Management was never an issue for me either! Overall, I would recommend working here!
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
the people i work were niceand great place to work
Surgical Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 21, 2017
a busy hospital not much down time the people were the best everyone work together making everybody job easy when you share the work hoping to find a place like it
Pros
every body help when work needed to be done
Cons
it is realy cold in saint paul mn.
Liked all my co workers and
surgical technologist (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 11, 2017
This was a very large facility and we were very busy every day doing at least 6-10 cases a day. Many days they asked us to stay late because of bad weather and some staff were going to be late for second shift and we could not leave the O.R until our relief arrived.

I learned from intuitive Robotics in Huston Texas on a 3 day seminar
to train fellow technicians

No management opportunities

All of my fellow co workers were wonderful to work with. Doctors were very grateful of good technique.

When you had an emergency case that came in on the weekend when you were on call but you just push through with a smile

Our Holiday lunch gatherings when everyone signed up to bring food.
Pros
wages and possibilities to be promoted.
Cons
not any cons a few frustrations with CEOs of Allina
busy environment
Registered Cardiovascular Technologist (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 10, 2017
Have not worked there in years. I loved cardiology and found United to be very progressive. The hardest part of the job was inadequate staffing which is a frequent concern is most of healthcare.
Very helpful management and ancillary staff.
RN (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MN 55101March 9, 2017
Very busy OR. Good organization of packaged sterile products, etc. Trays and other peel pack, soft wrap could use some revamping. Overall very friendly staff and exceptional SNAs.
Pros
Networked with some great RNs.
Cons
Cold climate not close to home.
Interesting place to work never a day that was the same.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 21, 2017
As patients came into the Emergency department I would check them in and help them if they needed anything bandages, wheelchair, pillows blanket. Make sure that the trieage nurse is aware of the people checking in an assist him or her as much as possible.
Pros
Pot lucks
Cons
Sometimes very busy and dispointed patients but nothing we could do to help speed things up
United is part of a corporation that is very invested in using an electronic medical record. This can be at the expense of time at the patient bedside
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 28, 2017
A typical day at work involves caring for 4-5 patients with multiple co-morbidity's with little semi-skilled support personnel. Another challenge is the multiple ethnicity's and languages that were present among the patient population. There is a large, well utilized translation department (certified in medical translation) available to help with communication.There are frequent admissions and/or discharges. Documentation is at the bedside including; barcoded medication administration, physical and mental patient assessments, physically moving patients with mechanical devices, developing and documenting a care plan and patient teaching.
There was always things to learn from other patient care staff (PT, OT, RT),other nurses and doctors. The workplace culture between RN's and doctors was good. There was a zero tolerance for violence policy that was rigorously enforced. The hardest part of the job was trying to fit everything that needed to be done into the shift. The most enjoyable thing was working with the patients.
Pros
Covered by a Nursing Association that also helped the nurses bargain their employment contract.
Cons
Frequently miss breaks and lunches
Good employer
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, WVSeptember 26, 2016
I have learned a lot from my employment with this company. I enjoy the work I do and hope to continue on this path. I have am close to several of my coworkers
Pros
environment
Cons
shift
horrible
Night Janitor (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 21, 2016
I would not recommend this job to anymore. There's no structure there. Management is poor. Working conditions are poor. Most of the working population there are Hispanics that don't speak English or very little. So its literally impossible to communicate with your co-workers regarding work issues.
Pros
its close to home for me
Cons
low pay hard work
Very possible place to work
Pharmacy technician (Former Employee) –  Pharmacy, Bridgeport, West VirginiaSeptember 21, 2016
I really like my job and working with an excellent crew at Health Direct. But I feel I need to know more into pharmacy such as learning iv therapy and how to mix, etc. I like to do more with physical moving around, like filling, cleaning, stocking, etc. I believe it would be a lot more healthier on me. Data Entry is excellent, but sometimes I like to do something a little different. and keep up on all pharmacy tech duties.
Pros
team work is excellent