United Methodist Church

United Methodist Church Employer Reviews

A demanding job with few earthly rewards.
Retired United Methodist Minister (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: the ability to help others
Cons: some of the bishops
Long days that sometime last for days.
I learned how to help people
Management was sometimes good and sometimes very bad.
Some of my co-workers were great, some were terrible.
The hardest part of the job is getting people to let you help them.
The most enjoyable part of the job was when I could help them
Camp counselor
Counselor (Current Employee), West Point, CADecember 17, 2014
Pros: positivity
Cons: swimm time.
Super kid camp is for kids 3rd through 5th grade. The day is filled with different activates from worship to archery, swimming, hiking, and arts/crafts. It’s a very positive experience and I have made many friends 2005, I got to watch one of my campers turn into a counselor.
You really learn how to be flexible, and I can’t stress that enough.

Working with others in a positive atmosphere is what makes it uplifting. Responsible for their safety at all times over a week period is got to be the most important. Most of all going through the chain of command.
great place to learn how to take care of children
Volunteer (Former Employee), Hollywood, FLDecember 3, 2014
Pros: great clean environment
Cons: children fight
help children
train potty training
teach children how to write, count, do assignments and activities
great coworkers have know for a while and make volunteering fun
typical day in a being a crew leader and taking care of your group
Great volunteer experience
Volunteer Coordinator (Current Employee), Miami, FLNovember 4, 2014
Pros: uplifting
Cons: challenging
Wonderful people to work with and for and a very positive environment.
We have changed our name to SACS
Volunteer (Former Employee), Alton, ILOctober 27, 2014
Pros: everything, happy children, love
Every Wednesday I would help prepare lunches for children around town who were unfortunate. We have a lot of volunteers who distribute them and this organization is just amazing.
Quiet
Cleaner (Former Employee), Edgewater, COOctober 12, 2014
Pros: it was a great job for a first time mom
Cons: it was just one day a week.
I cleaned the church and talk to all the people and listen to stories. I knew some of the people that go there as it was my grandparent's church before they passed away.
Friendly environment, not so reasonable management
Nursery Assistant (Former Employee), Gig Harbor, WAOctober 3, 2014
Pros: free snacks
Cons: lack of proper communication
While I enjoyed my efforts to work in the church environment for a year while babysitting children during church sessions, the staff was miscommunicated to on a daily basis by parents and non-frequenting church-goers, under the assumptions that the environment in the nursery was unsuitable to their preferences. It was eventually an unpleasant environment.
PT Work-Nice place, but no room for advancement
PT Office Assistant (Current Employee), New Palestine, INSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: casual dress, good talks about faith
Cons: no advancement, no benefits, pastors can be difficult
My co-workers are wonderful people that want to make a difference in the church. There is really no room for promotion, unless the Office Manager leaves. Cleaning out the pews can be gross (used tissues).
good work day
Custodian (Current Employee), Bennettsville, SCSeptember 9, 2014
get along to be a good worker be nice some days are better than others good attitude.
A very rewarding career in ministering to a diverse culture
I served as Senior Pastor for a local church (Former Employee), Erie, KSAugust 8, 2014
Pros: rewarding in the sense that i was helping people
Cons: it is very hard to get people to commit their time and resources to ministry.
This job required a lot of commitment because it was in a career that is very demanding. Much was expected in the way of planning and implementation of daily ministry. Much was needed in the way of time management. Planning of worship and programs in the church required a lot of time.
Great time
Pastor (Former Employee), Springfield, ILJuly 31, 2014
Pros: fulfilling career
Cons: long hours
I have been very happy with the work I did with the United Methodist Church and still supply when I can. I retired in 2008.
Church Families are the Best
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee), OhioJuly 22, 2014
Pros: set my own working hours.
Cons: no cons
I volunteered as administrative assistant (no pay). I learned that trust is a very important value to withhold. My boss was not only a minister, but the best mentor. The hardest part of the job was dealing with complaints. The most enjoyable was creating a strong church family that bonded.
Enjoyable and Spiritual experience
Office Administrator/Church Treasurer (Former Employee), Galena, ILJune 16, 2014
Pros: everyday duties, payroll, accounts receivable/accounts payable, working with members of the church, the people i worked with.
Cons: i did not like the sneeky ways of the two church leaders.
I enjoyed working at the church as Office Administrator and participating in church reading and being church secretary. I also participated in choir, United Methodist Women, Autism Group, and community activities.

Only thing I disliked was not being paid my payroll hours I had accumulated.

I am a minister and enjoyed everything about my job except the payroll.
Served as a pastor for a United Methodist church with the Rio Grande Conference
Pastor (Current Employee), Raymondville, TXMay 8, 2014
Pros: the values i received in christian education is second to none.
Cons: some people are impossible to please always.
For always I will be grateful for the opportunity and trust invested in me for the opportunity of serving as pastor. Many of my colleagues in ministry are fun people to work with. The love of many of my congregants was also a treasure deerly closed to my heart. The memories I lived while serving in clergy, I will never going to forget. While I recognize that life is not perfect i need to recognize that some people are impossible to please always no matter how hard you try and that I consider that the hardest part of my job as a clergy.

The most enjoyable aspect of the job was having the oportunity to share about my faith in Jesus Christ. I recognize we live in a pluralistic culture with diversification in values and beliefs therefore people have the right to differ with my own convictions and beliefs, I respect that with open heart, open mind, and open door aproach to all.
"When necessary, the laity can perform all of the functions of ministry except those for which the State requires an ordained minister
Pastor's Personal Assistant(Lay Leader) (Former Employee), RavennaApril 11, 2014
Pros: serve, greater community, guidance, vision and disciple making
Your leadership means you have committed your unique passions, gifts and abilities to empower others in your community and church. It's not just a "job," but a spiritual endeavor, that helps guide others.
wonderful place to work
Music Director (Current Employee), Fargo, NDMarch 4, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: we could have more activities
great place to work. Congregants are wonderful, the pastor is great, and I have never met a more talented accompanist.
Administrative Assistant
ECity District Office Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Elizabeth City, NCMarch 4, 2014
Running copies, making sure that everything was in the right place for the next day and all questions and concerns were answered via email. Ensured that budgeting and accounts were balanced each day by the close of business.
Great job! Work was a wonderful learning experience as to how a church is run.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Harrisville, NYFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: getting to know all types of different people
Cons: working alone
You worked alone each day, with an occasional visitor. Kept records of attendance, as well as daily reports. Typed meeting notes. Kept records of births/baptisms/deaths, etc. Learned how each dept. contributed to the overall running of the church building/property. At times the hardest part of the job was working alone all the time, but at times that was an enjoyable part too.
Challenging
Employment History Volunteer (Current Employee), Sandy Spring, MDJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: helping other people
Cons: healthcare
Very positive work environment.
very enjoyable
work at my own pace
get to manage other people
Great career making a positive difference in many lives.
Senior Pastor (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: making a positive change in people's lives
Cons: balancing the many demands of congregational leadership, family, and health
Leading a congregation involves a multifaceted skill set: visionary, public speaker, scholar, teacher, counselor, administrator, staff manager, volunteer coordinator, event planning, conflict resolution, client recruitment and development, leadership development, budget setting, fund-raising, marketing, writing (for a variety of settings and needs), building management, computer skills, and janitor are just a few of the many things that are required to keep a congregation healthy and growing. The most enjoyable part I found was public speaking, teaching, and the interpersonal parts of the job. The hardest part was balancing life and work and priorities.

1 2 3