United Nations Development Programme Employee Reviews in United States

Relaxing, walking to take a fresh air
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  UNDP, New York, NYJanuary 17, 2016
Recruit suitable candidates for Security Posts/missions for high-risk country office by posting vacancy announcement, reviewing applications, short listing candidates, setting up interview panel, serving as Secretary of the interview Panel, calculating costing sheets and entitlements and allocate funds for their salary, pension and medical contribution, process relevant offers and contracts and provide support claims and Personal Action;
Lack of incentive given to staff and motivation and career development
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 4, 2016
While the UNDP offers good positions with work that is relevant to development, the management does not really nurture staff and help career development or provide incentive for promotion. Regular re-structuring has created instability and made staff insecure and morale has fallen steadily.
Productive, stimulating and interesting
Programme Associate, Disaster Risk Reduction Team (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 25, 2015
A typical day at work is an agenda of many items to be taken care of, and due to time-sensitive nature of our work, we have to produce as quickly as possible, to close open accounts, and start new ones.

I have learned a great deal from my my work, as every day is new experience to me. The environment working in the United Nations Development agencies is great. Most interesting is the work under pressure to fulfill emergency humanitarian needs, especially where natural disasters have devastated populations, destroying infrastructures such as livelihoods, housing, education, cultures and heritage, health establishments, etc.

I work with a great team. We all understand and value the help we provide each others. We socialize after work, now and then, and we take short breaks to chat and talk in many interesting conversations.

We do however, encounter difficult situations, and they mostly deal with correction of errors that anyone could have made. This is serious as we deal with a variety of funds, and all spending documents must be correct, as we are accountable to donors and the beneficiaries of the funds.
Pros
Great colleagues and supervisors
Cons
Short breaks and after work gatherings
very interesting work, but too political
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 11, 2014
This was a great internship opportunity. You can learn a lot or at least practice things you learn in politics graduate school (from a policy standpoint; connecting real problems with potential solutions). On the flip side, the hierarchical structure of the Regional Bureau of Africa significantly impedes progress and productivity.Most of its executive managers block projects and jobs just because they feel like it sometimes. Consultancy positions are generally assigned to friends and friends' friends - irrespective of competencies and performance of some interns and outsider applicants that really deserve it. RBA needs a reality check: its managers forget that Africa is still under-developped and corrupt because of people like them.
Pros
surrounded by experts in every field of development and flexible internship hours.
Cons
corruption, nepotism, inefficient management in regional bureau for africa
Proactive and fun workplace
Regional Operations / Security Advisor (Former Employee) –  Qabūl, KANJanuary 8, 2013
- Traveling throughout the regions, conducting risk and threat assessments, attending meetings, report writing
- Good operational management. New security methodologies and techniques, first aid and life savior skills
- Management in overall is good
- Coworkers were excellent
- Traveling to high risk areas such is Asad-Abad (Kunar Province) and Laskah-Gar (Helmand Province)
- Relationship and teamwork of UNDP staff. Social life
Pros
good insurance and health care provider
Cons
good brakes, social life
Educative, productive and enjoyable.
Public Sector Reform Specialist (Former Employee) –  TORIT, South SudanJuly 19, 2014
Not all the people are at the same level of development in this world.
Capacitated my counterparts into the ream of Management.
Mentored counterparts into what transtion management is all about.
Change management especially attitude change.
Seeing what I taught being adoted for the betterment of the organisation.
Pros
given leeway to try new ideas
Cons
limited capacity to adapt to global change management
Largest and most 'global' UN agency
Chief, Communications & Publishing (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 5, 2013
Working at the United Nations is an extraordinary privilege and unique learning experience, deeply enriched by the daily collaboration with colleagues from every region of the world. The professional staff of UNDP and the other UN agencies and the UN Secretariat are as a group highly motivated, superbly educated, and genuinely committed to the UN's ideals and misison.
Pros
approaching every task as a global citizen & international civil servant
Cons
the inevitable bureaucratic labyrinths of all big governmental entities
Respect of all co-workers culture is important
Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 12, 2014
Typical day is interacting with anyone from 160 Country Offices via e-mail of telephone. Communication is pivotal to success. Without that, no project implementation will succeed. One of the hardest obstacles’ is communicating, since “English” is usually a second or third language for some of my colleagues. The most enjoyable part is actually interacting with individuals from all over the world.
Pros
language barriers sometimes
Cons
camaraderie with peers
Diverse workplace with research oriented employeees
Full-time Research intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2013
A typical day at work is a meeting with my boss, reading and researching reports and papers, writing up notes and a synopsis of the days work, and assisting with writing a report.
Pros
free lunches, meet interesting/diverse people, learn about government/politics
Cons
tedious research, topics not of interest
International Organization
Associate (Current Employee) –  New YorkNovember 27, 2013
I am proud of working in my current position, I value its mission and goals. It is a great organization to work at. Being part of an organization that gives support to developing countries in need to improve in democratic governance, human rights, emprovement of women and protecting the poorest, gives me great satisfaction and is a great example for my children.
Multi tasking
Finance Associate (Current Employee) –  GeorgetownFebruary 3, 2015
This work entails dealing with several items during a normal day and which gave you a sense of ownership with regards to the goals of the organization.
Excellent place to work
Accounts and Finance Officer (Former Employee) –  Office in VenezuelaOctober 12, 2012
Happy, prosperous and very interested job. Good co-workers. I did learn a lot in this job.
Pros
good atmoshpere