United Nations Employee Reviews in United States

Awesome work/life balance. Great benefits, generous pay!
Assistant to the Chief of Plant Engineering (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 24, 2016
Had an amazing experience working at the United Nations. Making it my life's mission to get back somehow. I worked with a lot of different people from all walks of life. To be a part of an organization that houses and embraces different cultures working together was an amazing once in a lifetime opportunity. Truly a rewarding experience.
The best non profit enviroment
Executive Assistant to Executive Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 3, 2016
Had to re-locate or I would never have left. Great co-workers and staff. Enjoyed coming to work for 16 years. I learned so much about social responsibility and how there are so many major issues going on around the world. The hardest part of my job was leaving.
good
Intern, Permanent Mission of the Somali Republic (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 12, 2016
I had great experience and enjoyed the positive and educational environment. I also made many connections and friendships that I will always cherish.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no pay or healthcare
great place to learn
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 30, 2016
Get to do so much, probably too much, for the pay, but its a great place to learn how you don't want to live your life. Its honest money, but retail at this level, doesn't pay.
Pros
Insider's information
Cons
Low pay
Very good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic en
LOGISTICS OFFICER (Former Employee) –  BUKAVUMarch 16, 2016
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve companyl goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Pros
free luches
Cons
Short break
Great place with people of all walks of life and cultures. The Delegates dining rooms and events are very good.
AV Audio Operator, Event Audio & Video Engineer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 25, 2016
Great people to work for. Getting to know many cultures and different people from around the around in one building makes the UN experience unique.
Bureaucratic Environment
human resources associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 21, 2015
If you're starting out your career here, only stay for a year or two. The UN is an interesting place, but highly bureaucratic. The skill sets learned within the UN are mostly useful within only the UN. The private sector/corporate world utilize different processes and procedures. The UN is highly political and a hierarchical place; so it's difficult to move up or establish your career quickly. You have to wait at least 18-36 months to make any shifts in positions.
Benefits
Cons
Poor Management
Coverage of 6 states
Special Liaison to INTERPOL (Former Employee) –  Geneva, CHMay 30, 2016
Great position and your changes came from employees. Hard work but, your suggestions are all accepted for trail. A bit crazy at times but flexibility and adaptability goes a long way
Excellent Organisation with Global outreach
Chief Supply Chain Management (Former Employee) –  KosovoMay 2, 2016
Having been involved in the provision of Technical Support to major peacekeeping operations, the United Nations is a leading service delivery Organisation.
Productive and fun workplace
Special Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bogotá, CUNJanuary 22, 2016
Very hierarchical culture, lots of politics and difficulty to reach top executives. Bureaucratic procedures make execution very slow sometimes. Great co-workers always willing to collaborate and share ideas.
Pros
Remuneration, human talent
Cons
No schedule, available 24/7
I like sport and a ping pong table is part my hoby
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mission in Central Africa RepublicJanuary 17, 2016
I start my career in International arena dealing with people from almost 194 countries with different background and I am open minded and easy going. I always make the best of every situation, I am a Great Team Player. I get the job done in a timely manner.
great office to work!
Receptionist/Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York NY 10017June 15, 2016
I had fun learning everything related to work with colleagues with a smile in their faces and help one another, nice place to work, and great benefits too.
Good Envirenment
Citrix Cloud Architect consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 27, 2016
Good Environment, good for long term engagement, technologies is up to date, many projects going on, possibilities of having a career path.
Both boring and exciting at times
Meeting Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2016
Working as a meeting service assistant, or MSA can be exciting in times, that is when servicing large meetings that include heads of state and foreign ministers. The topics up for discussion include human rights, current global crises (Syrian refugees, Yemen & Syrian Civil War, etc) and climate change which can be intriguing for the international affairs enthusiast. However most of the times working as an MSA can be menial, mundane, and boring. There were some great people to work with, but I would not call it a carer to aspire to.

I did learn the basics of meeting management within the United Nations, the complex method of scheduling, and logistics for meeting services, also more interestingly the positions held by several member states (countries) on certain global issues. A fitting job overall for my current study of international affairs.
Pros
good people, relatively easy work, paid overtime
Cons
boring, long hours at times
Good environment.
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Habana, CubaMay 8, 2016
Respect for employees, excellent benefits. Good organization to work at. Interesting projects. Poor funds for the projects.
Pros
good benefits
job
Senior program associate (Current Employee) –  jordanJuly 10, 2016
it was great job with great organization and amazing tasks in helping refugee and tray give them good life and better situation as we can.
Exciting environment and opportunities to connect with professionals
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2016
The United Nations is a wonderful organization to work for. Although the demands are great, the opportunities to grow and connect with professionals are very good.
Very professional
Visa Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 12, 2016
Collect passports and issue visas for co-worker.
Answer and made phone calls.
Enter data in computer
The best part of the day is running around getting the visa in the passport before the due date
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Temp job
Good Place to work to get experience
OBIEE Architect / Lead (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 13, 2016
I learn a lot in United Nations. Very diversified culture. co-workers are really helpful. Overall nice place to work. Management really good. Food serve in cafeteria is really good. i like it
Great Comapny
Operations Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 8, 2016
Huge opportunities to network and gain exposure to different cultures. Also working under a new secretary general was intense yet rewarding.

4.4