United Nations Employee Review

View all United Nations reviews

Great experience with great staff
Webmaster (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2013
It was a great gig.
I was happy to help a little mission with little assets.
Even though they had limited assets, staff were very professional and willing to do whatever it take to go above and beyond

Other United Nations Employee Reviews

Challenging Assignments
Finance Officer/ERP Process Expert (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 11, 2017
I have always been proud of working for the United Nations and following its main core values: integrity, professionalism, and respect for diversity.

I have been fortunate, throughout my years of experience with the UN, performing different functions: a) from Chief Budget & Finance Section for the United Nations Assistance to the Khmer Rouge Trials in Cambodia (UNAKRT), where I was responsible for daily tasks such as managing the allocated resources, redeployment of funds if needed, budget proposals, formulating my Section’s strategic framework, improving internal controls and managing the Finance staff’s performance, as well as clarifying financial matters to judges, lawyers, and other staff;
b) to Business Analyst/Process Expert for Umoja interacting with other entities around the world, i.e. the Information Center in Tokyo or The Regional Center in Entebbe providing guidance, support, and clarifications on their daily tasks, or performing testing on complex finance scenarios and validating the models with the process owners.

I have always been an early riser, starting very early, around 6 AM, to prepare for the day, to distribute the tasks, prioritize, respond the queries from other entities; provide production support, occasionally interact with Senior Managers to stay on track with expected objectives, etc. I would normally work 10 hours a day, but available after working hours if additional information was needed.

I have had many tough situations working with Umoja such as encountering many delays on completing the initial phases of the project due to lack
  more... of resources, or not having any knowledge of ERP when I started with Umoja, or developing a deployment strategy and associated planning tools. There were stressful moments that needed reviews and readjustments of timelines to achieve the objectives.

But I have also had many enjoyable moments: becoming a Process Expert in Financial Accounting (AP, AR, GL), transferring knowledge/information to the user community, finalizing configuration files and all testing associated with transition to Umoja solution, or learning other cultures and languages while assigned overseas to 8 different peacekeeping/special political missions in different capacities.

I have had very good Senior Managers who provided excellent leadership. Overall, a great experience.
Pros
Assigned to overseas entities within the UN organization.
Cons
Slow opportunities for advancement
productive
Technician (Former Employee) –  NYCNovember 30, 2017
The United Nations is an intergovernmental organization that is tasked to promote international cooperation and to create and maintain international order
Pros
good
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Nations. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4