United Nations Employee Reviews

Great Benefits
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 7, 2016
The UN is known to have great benefits for its employees. However, the tendency is that more work is provided to those that do a good job and promotion is not based on your performance.
The International Organisation with huge responsibilities for the world
Security Officer/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 23, 2016
An equal opportunity employer with excellent remuneration and job benefits
I gained a wealth of knowledge due to the UN emphasis on continuous education which was provided through in house and external training at the company's cost
Productive and fun work enviornment
Fund Raiser (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 2, 2016
The management style was always professional, yet authentically sincere, being sensitive to multicultural diversity respect, promoting international understanding. I learned that the United Nations help people around the world, by providing tents and food to people who are displaced or refugees from countries in crisis around the world, and they even help them with employment opportunities in America, which I found amazing. The hardest part of the job was working primarily on commission. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting beautiful people from around the world, and hearing their unique stories.
Pros
Educational and fun
Cons
Working primarily on commission
good
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  MonroviaJanuary 9, 2017
During my period of work, I have achieved my work plan established for my unit. That is Respond swiftly to Fire scene within UN facilities, UN Agency fun and Programmed, and monitors the alarm systems closely for the safety of the UN HQ (PAP and PAP Annex Building), go out for regional inspections (UNOE) and support COE for operational readiness inspections. I have demonstrated commitment to my work and to my work mates; I have been very supportive to my unit and also to RSOs office when needed and dedicate to work at all times.
I enjoyed working with both my First Reporting Officer (FRO) and Second Reporting Officer (SRO) and the entire Fire Unit and Security Section as a whole I Promise also to be committed to my JOB, and to maintain the Core values of the UNITED NATIONS.
Pros
Firefigter
Cons
vacations
great office to work!
Receptionist/Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York NY 10017June 15, 2016
I had fun learning everything related to work with colleagues with a smile in their faces and help one another, nice place to work, and great benefits too.
Good environment.
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Habana, CubaMay 8, 2016
Respect for employees, excellent benefits. Good organization to work at. Interesting projects. Poor funds for the projects.
Pros
good benefits
Bureaucratic Environment
human resources associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 21, 2015
If you're starting out your career here, only stay for a year or two. The UN is an interesting place, but highly bureaucratic. The skill sets learned within the UN are mostly useful within only the UN. The private sector/corporate world utilize different processes and procedures. The UN is highly political and a hierarchical place; so it's difficult to move up or establish your career quickly. You have to wait at least 18-36 months to make any shifts in positions.
Benefits
Cons
Poor Management
Always extend short term contract -1 or 2 months
Dev Lead/ Technical Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 20, 2016
Work culture is nice .Contract extension is really short.1 or 2 months in 1 time.So for future planning very hard.No work from home for Contractor.I had fun working here but felt technology wise they are behind the market.
Intern
Foreign/Public Affairs/Communications Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 7, 2017
Working at the United Nations, has been the highlight of my academic career thus far. I would love to be able to work within this government entity with a full time upper level position.
Humanitarian organization
United Nations Security Official (Current Employee) –  Kosovo, Afghanistan, South SudanJanuary 20, 2017
World wide Humanitarian organization keeping the peace and providing aid in war torn areas. People from all over the world coming together to create a better world. Providing food, shelter, and rebuilding after a war or other conflict.
Trying to prevent conflicts and bring peace and stability to an area.
Pros
Pays well
Cons
Living in hostile environments
Un ima
IMA (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 14, 2016
Good work life balance and good benefits makes it a good place to work

Very casual and good people in the workplace

Highly recommendable
Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 19, 2017
I really enjoyed my time at the United Nations learning about international politics, and studying how the developments in the disarmament field have evolved over the years.
Field services position are excellent challenges for all.
IT Officer (Former Employee) –  UNMISSOctober 23, 2016
Yo will facing all kind of challenges not only the technical also personnel safety that including facing war zone's dangers situation when there is crises. A working position require strong coordination and producing skills to fit in peace keeping force mission.
Pros
Provide excellent continuing learning environment
Cons
Unexpected challenges due to the local environment
Productive and motivating atmosphere
Legal Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2017
I learned a lot about the United Nations System, its values and procedures.
I could attend high level meetings and really enjoyed working at the United Nations.
My taskes were important and I could gain more efficiency and seriousness.
Beautiful Mission
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 13, 2017
Beautiful People doing great work. Sensitive to Multicultural Diversity. Very rewarding work. Staff and co-workers had the highest standards of ethics. Fun work environment.
Pros
Enlightening experience
Cons
Standing and walking most of the day, every day.
Very laid back environment
Editorial and Desktop Publishing Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 29, 2017
The Environment there is very friendly. Everybody wants to help new colleagues and want to make them feel comfortable to ask any question regarding any matter.
good experience in general
Office of the President of the General Assembly (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 22, 2016
It is great and unique experience to work with people from 20 different countries in a office. Good learning experience. Pays a lot to P/D professionals and zero to interns.
Very productive, professional atmosphere
Public Information (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 27, 2016
wonderful experience
professional
ethical
well organized
respectful
supporting
I learnt the organizational communications
hardest part of the job was to work in tight deadline
Java Developer (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYFebruary 8, 2017
United Nations is a fast paced and fast growing company. i truly do enjoy the rich and friendly work environment. if you are looking to grow with american express, there are alot of opportunities to do so.
United Nations
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 31, 2016
I enjoyed working with the UN. There is not one day that feels the same, there is always something new going on, and that keeps things exciting. The one thing that I would've changed is how they did not help place me with a permanent position after my internship was over.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Nations. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4