United Nations Employee Reviews

Fun and diverse group of people to work with.
Public Administrator/ Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 12, 2017
Work at the United Nations in any given day is interesting and educational. Working with people from different cultural background is interestingly educational.
Pros
Friendly and caring culture.
Cons
Location is too far.
Good place to gain experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 29, 2017
What you can expect: multi-cultural working environment, opportunities to attend kinds of meetings and meet professionals from all walks of life.
I was lucky that I met an excellent supervisor from whom I learned a lot.
Pros
resources and opportunities
Cons
internship is unpaid
Ambassador at the UN is excellent job. Compensation & benefits, a function country's national policies.
Ambassador and Permanent Representative of Palau (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 28, 2017
Work as Ambassador at the United Nations is excellent. The challenges and job satisfaction are excellent. The ratings above are related to the employer which is the Government of Palau. Because the job is a political appointment, job security is not guaranteed. The compensation and benefits are commensurate with a developing country Public Service Commission policy. The work at the UN is 24/7. Working at multilateral levels is always challenging, takes lot of diplomacy and patience. One has to adjust to the culture of multinational advocacy, multiethnic tolerance and joy of diversity. The hardest part of the job is balancing between ethical/spiritual convictions and achieving consensus towards global good. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting and making friends with the people from all walks of life, from all countries. Yes, I believe being an ambassador at the UN is one of the most exciting jobs a person can have.
Pros
Meeting diverse diplomats in meetings and receptions as a representative of your country.
Cons
Slow process (rhetoric nature) of getting things done.
Work
Lead Security Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 19, 2017
Awesome place to work at is you get the opportunity. Typical 9-5 job with no real stress but HIGH taxes because its in NY. If you like the city buzz and the high prices than apply!
Very good place to work
Language Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 12, 2017
Overall I'm satisfied with this job, considering the competition.

it's a good job that grows on you.

Salary is great and the benefits are very good, in terms of health care and days off.....

This job is a bargain!
multi-cultural, diverse work environment
CHIEF, PEACEKEEPING FINANCE DIVISION (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 8, 2017
Excellent place to work if you are interesting in international non-profit environment with emphasis on cultural diversity, respect for diversity, integrity, team work. Areas of focus include humanitarian, peacekeeping, oversight, human rights, international affairs.
Work as an Intern
Fiance Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 5, 2017
I have an unpaid internship at UN. We have a lot of activities for interns, and meet people from around the world, which is fun. Management and coworkers are efficient and helpful.
I have gained external experience
Team site Leader (Former Employee) –  MonroviaApril 3, 2017
The United Nations observes all cultures and provides a conducive working environment. I had a chance to mix and work with different races and came out with great results.
Pros
All resources all available
Cons
Need to adjust to food and also affected with various diseases as you will be far from home country.
Very diverse
mail sorter, delivery (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 29, 2017
Very easy to make a good impression... One goes hand in hand..because the UN makes a good impression.. I loved working there.. Memories of a lifetime
Great learning experience
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 16, 2017
This position was one in all. It invloved server administration tasks, management tasks and application development majorly.
Hence, a great experience of a complete life cycle of an application development.
The most difficult part was me being the only developer on the team but that made my skill set enhance faster and greater.
Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 11, 2017
People here are highly intelligent and motivated to work hard for the good of everyone. You will not find a more diverse workplace anywhere else. There is definitely a lack of job security here, however. You may not know if you will have your contract extended even a week before your contract is up. Also consultants do not get health insurance and will need to pay for it privately, and do not get access to many of the services that staff get (library book checkout, language classes, different entrance, cannot access many of the areas of the UN). If you are ok with the uncertainty and benefits (or lack thereof) then it is definitely the place to be.
Productive with constant change to environment
MODEL U.N. TRAINER (Current Employee) –  Twin Cities, MNMarch 11, 2017
My role as a UN trainer was to train staff and participants in all things United Nations. I was responsible for putting program materials together, training staff, and facilitating discussion on topics like Genocide and Sustainalble development.

I learned how to better approach discussion with a diverse population in the Twin Cities.
It was a perfect first job.
Houseman/Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 4, 2017
I was able to work with a lot of family to make this first job very satisfying to me, as well as the cleaning aspect of the duties.
Outsourced
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Stratford, CTFebruary 28, 2017
This was an outsourced service to the client, but the people running the department didn't really have an understanding on what needed to be done. Have to put your own effort in to get the work done.
Productive and motivating atmosphere
Legal Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2017
I learned a lot about the United Nations System, its values and procedures.
I could attend high level meetings and really enjoyed working at the United Nations.
My taskes were important and I could gain more efficiency and seriousness.
Java Developer (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYFebruary 8, 2017
United Nations is a fast paced and fast growing company. i truly do enjoy the rich and friendly work environment. if you are looking to grow with american express, there are alot of opportunities to do so.
Intern
Foreign/Public Affairs/Communications Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 7, 2017
Working at the United Nations, has been the highlight of my academic career thus far. I would love to be able to work within this government entity with a full time upper level position.
Great Place to be
Legal Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 31, 2017
United Nations is the place to be especially now. However advancing in the United Nations is little difficult. Regardless I am proud to be part of the UN team.
Very laid back environment
Editorial and Desktop Publishing Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 29, 2017
The Environment there is very friendly. Everybody wants to help new colleagues and want to make them feel comfortable to ask any question regarding any matter.
Humanitarian organization
United Nations Security Official (Current Employee) –  Kosovo, Afghanistan, South SudanJanuary 20, 2017
World wide Humanitarian organization keeping the peace and providing aid in war torn areas. People from all over the world coming together to create a better world. Providing food, shelter, and rebuilding after a war or other conflict.
Trying to prevent conflicts and bring peace and stability to an area.
Pros
Pays well
Cons
Living in hostile environments

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Nations. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4