United Nations Employee Reviews

Both boring and exciting at times
Meeting Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2016
Working as a meeting service assistant, or MSA can be exciting in times, that is when servicing large meetings that include heads of state and foreign ministers. The topics up for discussion include human rights, current global crises (Syrian refugees, Yemen & Syrian Civil War, etc) and climate change which can be intriguing for the international affairs enthusiast. However most of the times working as an MSA can be menial, mundane, and boring. There were some great people to work with, but I would not call it a carer to aspire to.

I did learn the basics of meeting management within the United Nations, the complex method of scheduling, and logistics for meeting services, also more interestingly the positions held by several member states (countries) on certain global issues. A fitting job overall for my current study of international affairs.
Pros
good people, relatively easy work, paid overtime
Cons
boring, long hours at times
productive and creative
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  anyJanuary 5, 2016
moving up and down,most enjoyable is associating with people, newskills, realy intresting, long working periods,very good management
Pros
free lunches
Cons
healthycare
Exciting environment and opportunities to connect with professionals
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2016
The United Nations is a wonderful organization to work for. Although the demands are great, the opportunities to grow and connect with professionals are very good.
Bureaucratic Environment
human resources associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 21, 2015
If you're starting out your career here, only stay for a year or two. The UN is an interesting place, but highly bureaucratic. The skill sets learned within the UN are mostly useful within only the UN. The private sector/corporate world utilize different processes and procedures. The UN is highly political and a hierarchical place; so it's difficult to move up or establish your career quickly. You have to wait at least 18-36 months to make any shifts in positions.
Benefits
Cons
Poor Management
The working condition were very friendly.
Project Engineer. (Former Employee) –  Pakistan South Asia.December 21, 2015
I had Good experience while working for the this company, All of the staff was very co-operative. I had full support from my bosses during my stay with company and their help enabled me to complete the job on time.
fun and educative
Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 7, 2015
Always amazed when working with others and what they can bring in the table. I appreciate every moment i take engaging my colleagues at work.
Good Luck Getting Hired
business analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 30, 2015
It's very tough to get a business-related position here unless your great grandfather was a diplomat. A lot of politics and red tape. Just a heads-up.

This is a much better job: http://PayTaski.com/?ref=39035
Great place to gain an international background
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New York, New YorkOctober 3, 2015
I believe that the United Nations is one of the best ways to learn international politics and relate with people around the world.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Unpaid
United Nations
Volunteer For Unicef (Former Employee) –  InternatiionalSeptember 27, 2015
Days working for the U.N consisted of helping villages and towns food and aid. i also translated and taught a little english too. this job has a lot of benefits and one of them being the humanitarian benefits.
Productive and got confidence to work with high level individuals.
Administrative Officer,Mission of Bangladesh (Former Employee) –  United Nations, New YorkSeptember 25, 2015
Working in the UN is good and got a lot of experience with the high profile diplomats as well as with high level Ministers from the host country (Bangladesh).

Want to know more about United Nations?

Ask a question
Administrative Assistant/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 4, 2015
Working as a Administrative Assistant/ Receptionist and as a Legal Assistant, I really did learned a lot from my two positions, I worked in a very diverse environment/ where people were very polite, team work oriented, and very caring and i had very nice and reliable co workers,we got along very well . I learned a lot about my work, how to work closer with clients, how to handle hard clients and difficult tasks, how to be very patient and calm to very rude clients, and how to handle heavy load work during very busy days.
Moreover, the most enjoyable part of my job is how we treated and related to each other as far as co workers and most of our clients were very kind and respectful.
Pros
Bonuses at the end of the years.
Cons
Sometimes we had to work on New Years
Wonderful experience
Researcher/Speech Wirter (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 3, 2015
I have gained much experience and knowledge, along with traveling throughout the world.I have grown professionally by being able to branch out on my own through freelance opportunities.
Unparallelled Experience
Department of Public Information Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 31, 2015
It is an unparalleled experience to be working as a full-time intern at the United Nations. This is because it is both challenging and rewarding, having high expectations for intern's work performance, yet opening many opportunities for continued learning and high level policy participation as well.
My co-workers and managment were the best and that make your work more enjoyable.
Account Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 25, 2015
I have enjoyed every day. I have learned different cultures and languages. It is a joy to be able to serve the world. It is an International Organization that service the world with humanities and need of the donor countries.
N/a
HVAC TECHNICIAN (International) UNV (Current Employee) –  South SudanAugust 17, 2015
In short, it is nice been a volunteer. Work is good for the fact that i am in a different country with different kind people and culture. I have learn a lot things regarding the situation. Corporation from my co-worked in the field is worth wealthy for the length of experience. I have find no difficulties at the moment. The enjoyable and interesting part on the job is the different kind of people and culture.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
United Nations
Conference Operations (Freelance) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 11, 2015
The day starts with a general review of the day, checking in with the conference control center. Then a verbal sign in with the shift supervisor. Then I take a more detailed look at the necessary requirements for my assignments. We learn something knew almost every day. There are so many layers to what we do as technicians, it's what we haven't encountered that requires the most from us and our team. With management and our various departments, we can solve almost any problem should they arise. The most enjoyable part of the job is learning.
Pros
The environment and learning new things
Cons
The meeting can get very drawn out and they could spend days drafting 1 sentence.
Great experience
United Nations Spanish Language Programme Intern (Former Employee) –  Secretariat BuildingAugust 5, 2015
It is a great experience to work at the United Nations. The experience that I obtained was how bureaucratic each process can be. I learned to deal with clients from various parts of the world.
Unique place for AV knowledge
Audio/Video/Media/VTC operator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 3, 2015
Unique place for AV knowledge hungry professionals. Very supportive management. If you are AV fanatic and like politics, this is a place to be.
Executive Assistant
Personal Secretary (Current Employee) –  211 East 43rd street - NY10017July 28, 2015
after 25 years of experience as Personal Assistant in different Ministries of my country, I wish to join international organisations and NGO's. Being Productive, team spirit, perseverance,proactive and innovative I want to share my experience as well as update my knowledge in various field.
Pros
lunches and events
Cons
social activities
Surprisingly Friendly for NYC
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 27, 2015
The United Nations is a great place to work! At least the section I am currently in. Everyone is very kind and friendly, and always willing to help with an open door management system. Co-workers are friendly, management is super supportive.
Hardest part is remembering the various financial rules and how to apply them accordigly. Most enjoyable would definitely be the people!
Pros
Very supportive management and peers, multicultural
Cons
Hiring process takes very long

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Nations. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4