United Nations Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to start a career or to end a career.
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2014
This is a very good place for recent grads to start a career or individuals nearing retirement to want to do something different.
Pros
meet with very influenial people from all over the world
Cons
not in professional development and growth.
family-like working environment
Intern, Division of Sustainable Development (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 27, 2014
full-time intern..

…it is pretty good work place though very competitive to get into the organization for young professionals.

…treat others like your family members without differences in nationalities, colors and etc would always be very nice.

…make sure to take advantage of this opportunity and networking in some high-level meetings.
Productive, enjoy helping others when needed.
Mailroom clerk (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 23, 2014
Every morning we sort the mail that come in (3-4 buckets the most), after that around 9:30 we get ready to go on our mail runs throughout the building. If needed the Manager/Assistant manager would help us on what floor the mail should go if someone has moved on a different floor. Co-workers would help each other out if boxes are needed to be moved.
Everyone-Counts Culture
Assistant to Deputy Regional Director (Current Employee) –  Cairo, GAOctober 19, 2014
I arrive very early in the morning; maybe an hour before time. During this hour, I manage to finish all tasks that need focus away from usual daily routine and/or interruptions. we have a breakfast gathering once a week to socialize and break the daily routine at work. Usually, it is Sunday. The hardest part of the job is that I have to go through painful details about refugees, homeless, and sick people around the region. Accordingly, Management is having a lot of responsibilities to be achieved to support people. Meanwhile, the world is watching our work and achievements; mostly, critique is always ready and prepared. This include technical work and supportive work as well. This unfortunately creates a very stressful working environment. As my co-workers have the same difficulties of mine, we all try to show support and understanding to each other; mostly in funny way as well to absorb the stress and enjoy the high value added to societies and to ourselves. I would consider this supportive attitude is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
weekly breakfast gathering
Cons
almost no breaks with very stressful environment
I really enjoyed my employment with United Nations
Designer (Former Employee) –  Desoon, KoreaOctober 17, 2014
I was able to work with many people. I was constantly being assigned to different projects.
Adviser (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 11, 2014
⬥Worked on the post-2015 Development Agenda in consultation with all stakeholders, including Member States, Civil Society, Academia and Private Sector.
⬥ Provided analytical inputs, expertise and outreach on different issues within President’s Office.
⬥ Driving forward agenda of the General Assembly and to lead and facilitate the follow-up processes on substantive mandates.
⬥Managed and prepared in close cooperation with UNESCO high level thematic debate on “Culture and Sustainable Development through 2015 Development Agenda”.
⬥Elaborated on high level thematic debate “The Role of Partnerships and their Contributions to the Post-2015 Development Agenda”.
⬥Elaborated on high level thematic debate “Ensuring Stable and Peaceful Societies in the Post 2015 Development Framework”.
⬥Working on High Level Forum on the “Culture of Peace” with civil society, academia, Member States in promoting and implementing GA mandated High Level Forum.
⬥Adviser on the fifth committee {Financial and Budgetary} Matters.
Productive Work Environment
Administrative Assistant to Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New York NYSeptember 17, 2014
The United Nations was an interesting working environment. There were many individuals from many walks of life. I learned alot from working from them.
Pros
interesting people
Cons
short term position
Everyone works together great, and the mission statement makes it worthwhile
Market & Research Analyst Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 13, 2014
My typical day included several administrative and assistant type roles. It was an internship, but the management that took over closer to the end of the time I was there, have good business strategy and are capable people. They are welcoming and always looking for your input.
Satisfying
Regional Security Officer and Special Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 8, 2014
Access Control, physical and procedural security development. Building international relationships. Turning the pages of history and working with a diverse collective of individuals with a broad cultural background.
Pros
enjoying going to work everyday
Cons
new york taxes
A good place to expose yourself to a multicultural environment
Internship (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 7, 2014
A good place to expose yourself to a multicultural environment
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 29, 2014
A day at work was very intense.
Huge responsibility.
Staff was efficient and very capable.
Lack of experience was a big challenge.
Was rewarding to help others.
Great
Marketing & Communications Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 19, 2014
Multi-cultural environment with smart and well-intentioned individuals.
the United Nations has taught me a lot
Programme Officer- Head of UN Women office (Former Employee) –  Jordan and IraqAugust 11, 2014
Very overwhelmed atmosphere, but on the meantime is very knowledgeable and encouraging. Most management are very supportive and the colleagues are just great. High ethics, high standards and great privileges to all employees, the hardest part of the work is you will never get a life balance if you anticipate to grow in the system. Working is almost 24/7!
Pros
diversity and different cultures
Cons
high bureaucracy!
Average working place
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 5, 2014
one has to work hard to prove one's worth and potential with fierce competition.
fine job culture, but working like crazy
Administration Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 1, 2014
This job is fun in all because every day I can meet different new people from all over the world, and at the same time I can help them with my workings, which makes me feel so good.

On the other hand, my daily working situation is like running like a crazy chicken. I can make it, and I also feel very proud and accomplished to do so.

My co-worker and supervisors are all very nice to me. It is really a good place to stay.
Pros
good culture
Cons
hard working needed
Very challenging work environnement
INTERNSHIP IN PROCUREMENT DIVISION (Current Employee) –  New York CityJuly 2, 2014
The procurement division works closely with all UN division and services. It is very helpful and instructive to see the impact of your job on other structures.
Pros
very educative and international environment
Cons
cannot secure a permanent position beyond internship. can be done only 6 months after terminating.
Great experience!
Assistant Liaison (Former Employee) –  AsiaJune 29, 2014
I was well trained for simultaneous translation; developed early experience in high profile communication, and diplomac.y
Very Excellent
Executive Branch relating (Former Employee) –  Ivory coastJune 15, 2014
I got an honorablen certificate for reorganization of meritorious service from Force Provost Marshal.
Pros
free launches health care transport
Cons
short breaks
Learned a lot
Environmental Affairs Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2014
Great company to work for. Loving the experience. People were great and can't complain. Projects were challenging and impactful
Wish the UN had an office in San Francisco!
Assistant to President of ECOSOC (F/T) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 6, 2014
Working at the United Nations was a true pleasure and honor. The organization boasts probably the single most educated workforce in the world. Not surprising, given the complexity of the problems the world faces and the complexity of the organization itself.

4.4