United Nations

United Nations Employee Reviews

Dynamic, Multicultural Institution with a Precious Mandate
RESOURCE MOBILIZATION INTERN AT UN WOMEN (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 6, 2013
Assisting Program managers in research on solutions applied to Gender issues have provided opportunities to expand my knowledge on the subject. Engagements in assisting in the development of Fund raising proposals have given me a chance to see the practical application of methods and techniques used by such institutions.

The office environment is open and friendly and a rich sense of direction allows the integration of ideas amongst staff. Inter actions among colleagues are informal yet allow for serious work and respect.
The need for a significant depth of information collection, to be used with short periods of time was demanding on occasions.

Serving in an organization with a very valuable cause.
new experiences
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 2, 2013
Pros: meeting all kind of people
Cons: no personal relationships
Lively atmosphere, Like a real live melting pot of the world. Never a bad day, enjoyed ever moment. Co-workers was knowledgeable and willing to help with everything.
Very productive and fun place to work
Administrative Assistant and Team Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 30, 2013
Pros: very interesting job.
Cons: short lunches
Provide extensive administrative and secretariat support to the Chief and Desk Officers in the Section, as well as staff in the Field Offices, in the most effective manner.
Schedule and coordination of appointments and meetings with high-level Government authorities, United Nations Agencies and NGOs. Organize and coordinate flow of documents and follow up timely responses. Sort out correspondence. Answered queries on various office matters. Carry out quality control functions for outgoing documents; proofread and edit texts for adherence to format, grammar punctuation and style in compliance with the United Nations's correspondence manual. Coordinate interviews, Section Meetings. Arrange bridge lines for teleconferences. Maintain electronic and paper filing system for the Section including converting relevant documents into PDF files through scanning or conversion using Adobe PDF applications and retrieve documents whenever required. Assemble and distribution of documentation for internal meetings, interviews and workshops confirming arrangements with participants and find venues. Prepare and process confidential information., Make , process and finalize travel arrangements for the Chief of Section and Desk Officers. Coordinate travel itenerary. Prepare Visa requests. Prepare and collate information packages for the Section Chief and Desk Officers's mission trips and work with Section staff to pepare briefings books for Director and Chief of Section. Prepare final travel claims. Get security clearances for travel to the Field.
A workplae one of a kind
Trainee, Fifth Committee (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 30, 2013
Pros: multicultural
Cons: long hours, stressful
As a trainee to the European Union Delegation to the United Nations, I worked in a team within the Fifth Committee which participates in budget-related issues of the UN on behalf of the EU. I handled highly sensitive information, I analyzed the reports of the oversight bodies and the UN, and I created briefs which were used by the Member States during the consideration of financial matters. I organized coordination meetings and briefings and I directly participated in budget negotiations. I also supported the EU team by fulfilling various administrative tasks. I believe that this experience gave me an insight in negotiation and communication strategies and exposed me to the decision-making process within the EU. Moreover, the experience reinforced my attention to detail, further strengthened my analytical skills and exposed me to the process of reading, writing and summarizing various financial reports.
Valuable experience in workplace
Consultant/Program Assistant (Former Employee), New York, N.Y.September 20, 2013
Had opportunity to work with a diverse group of people: all nationalities, religion, culture, socioeconomic backgounds.
Great friendly people, fast paced environment
NYC Communication Specialist and TV editor (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 21, 2013
Pros: 1 hour paid lunch
Cons: healthcare cost
A typical day would be to meet with a production team. Figure out a priority list for the day which actually always seemed to change. We all liked the excitement of constantly changing worldwide situations. The entire team always rose to the occasion. Under daily deadline pressure we always got a daily tv show on the air as well as posted breaking news on our website.
NA
Translator (Former Employee), KosovoAugust 3, 2013
An organization that strives to build and repair relationships between nations post conflict with a great opportunity to learn about new experiences and other cultures.
It was a great experience
Advisor to Secretary General (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 26, 2013
Pros: contact with people
Cons: short contracts
Cultural Attaché

• Coordinated special events such as parades, dances and meetings for the Bolivian community
• Represented Bolivia in meetings with other Latin American countries to plan participation in
mutual cultural events
• Developed programs to promote cultural awareness and Bolivian heritage
Fun and Exciting
Chauffeur / Security (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 26, 2013
Late nights, crazy hours and being able to drive fast behind secret service. Cool place and very cultural people
Working in the Network Operation Center for the UN HQS in New York
Telecommunications Specialist (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 16, 2013
Operations,maintenance and repair of the links in WAN of the United Nations Network.
Part of my work was to be Telecommunications Specialist for the Secretary General of the United Nations during his work abroad.
I learned to find the best solution in a short period of time,in New York or overseas,working for the Network Control Center or during the trips with the Secretary General Delegation.
I worked with other colleagues at General Assembly
Desk Officer (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 19, 2013
Pros: worked with the ambassadors
Cons: no fun at all
I worked in various committees at the United Nations. I did some research on certain issues for talks at the UN General Assembly.
Amazing and privileged experience to be a part of.
United Nations International Volunteer Aid Worker (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 14, 2013
I began volunteering for the UN at a very early age. I was 12 years old when I was assigned my first country: Sierra Leona. My responsibility involved fundraisers. Working hard with a team, we have helped to raise over 30,000 dollars as of today for third world countries. The hardest part of the job is to raise the money, but the most enjoyable is that you know you are a part of a greater project than any other, one that involves saving and helping human being across the globe! There is no better feeling when you know you've helped make a difference in a child's life.
UN Liaison Officer in UNMIS (SUDAN) (Former Employee), Sudan, TXApril 30, 2013
Pros: living allowances
Cons: no dental insurance
- As UN Military Liaison Officer
Contatcting warring factions representatives.
Receiving high officials and delegations and escort them in all their Visits to mission area according the work plan
Convey all UN confidential documents to Sudanese and SPLA AJMCs members besides,intelligence and police departments LOs.
Reporting all abnormal activities carried out by warring factions.
Receive immediate ceasefire claims.
Liaison with Sudanese civilian authority and non profitable organizations.
Arranging and facilitating procedures of departure and arrival of high delegated officials.
- As UN Military Observer
Attend morning briefing
Conduct the daily patrol (according to the assignment)
Repot the daily situation report to the UNMO team leader
Operate the duty station room and base station
The hardest part of the job:
Nothing significant to be told
The most enjoyable part of the job:
Working at a multinational environment
President Reagan appointment
Correspondent (Former Employee), United StatesApril 17, 2013
Pros: presidential appointment
Cons: no salary
Supply "crime prevention" and "control of offender" information to United nations law enforcement entities.
The United Nations Organization is a mult-cultural and internatinal organization with the task of ensuring world peace and security. A great employer
Deputy to the head of section and desk officer (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 31, 2013
Most of my years on this job evolved deployment to high risk countries to provide staff safety and security in the humanitarian and development security operations. The hard part of this job was that it was a 24/7 job, The good part was that it provided very good income and benefits.
Productive and fast-pacing environment with diverse group.
Research Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 22, 2013
Productive and fast-pacing environment with diverse group.
Very dynamic working environment
Policy Adviser (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 18, 2013
-Following the work of the major UN organs
-Attending daily meetings
-Writing reports for the government
-Organizing events
it has been as good jod for me
EOD Deminer and Mine sweeper (Former Employee), Syria, VAMarch 11, 2013
Pros: on contract basis only by un
Cons: na
Ive had been experienced as DE miner and mine sweeper during the time i was deployed as peacekeeper as part of United Nations peacekeeping mission in Golan Heights Israel and Syria, Ive enjoy what am doing there with the help also of other contingent like contingent from Austria,Croatia,India and Japan Peacekeeper.The hardest part of my Job there is when the time you have to recover a landmines and Unexploded Ordnance (UXO) with the used of our knowledge and techniques and render safe procedure.
Human Rights
Fordham UN Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 3, 2012
What a great learning experience on an international level. Great networking opportunities and a wealth of information received to bring about change across the world.
funworkplace
Nurse (Former Employee), Manila, P00November 18, 2012
Pros: free snacks
Cons: nice facilities
very challenging, peopel have full cparations pleasing and outsranding achievements

About United Nations

The United Nations is an international organization founded in 1945 after the Second World War by 51 countries committed to maintaining – Read more

United Nations Salaries