United Nations Employee Reviews

fine job culture, but working like crazy
Administration Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 1, 2014
This job is fun in all because every day I can meet different new people from all over the world, and at the same time I can help them with my workings, which makes me feel so good.

On the other hand, my daily working situation is like running like a crazy chicken. I can make it, and I also feel very proud and accomplished to do so.

My co-worker and supervisors are all very nice to me. It is really a good place to stay.
Pros
good culture
Cons
hard working needed
Diverse workplace with great opportunities for travel and meeting people from all walks of life.
Asset Management Officer (Former Employee) –  Darfur, SudanSeptember 4, 2012
Due to its overly bureaucratic culture, the UN may seem that it's all about paper pushing and not really results driven like most private firms Stateside. However, once you learn the culture, you learn that you can achieve a lot more through your contact list and sometimes bypass the tedious and timeconsuming bureaucracy.
Pros
travel and greatoverall benefit package.
Cons
overally bureaucratic.
Productive and multi-cultural
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 28, 2013
I translated and published 7 official documents covering various subjects dealt with by the United Nations. I led and supported cross-cultural talks and activities regarding Youth Migration with more than 1000 Young Preventatives from over 100 countries to commemorate International Youth Day 2013 at the UN Secretariat. I also arranged meetings among people of different cultures and facilitated cross-cultural dialogue and received by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon as one of the representatives.
Good Luck Getting Hired
business analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 30, 2015
It's very tough to get a business-related position here unless your great grandfather was a diplomat. A lot of politics and red tape. Just a heads-up.

This is a much better job: http://PayTaski.com/?ref=39035
Everyone-Counts Culture
Assistant to Deputy Regional Director (Current Employee) –  Cairo, GAOctober 19, 2014
I arrive very early in the morning; maybe an hour before time. During this hour, I manage to finish all tasks that need focus away from usual daily routine and/or interruptions. we have a breakfast gathering once a week to socialize and break the daily routine at work. Usually, it is Sunday. The hardest part of the job is that I have to go through painful details about refugees, homeless, and sick people around the region. Accordingly, Management is having a lot of responsibilities to be achieved to support people. Meanwhile, the world is watching our work and achievements; mostly, critique is always ready and prepared. This include technical work and supportive work as well. This unfortunately creates a very stressful working environment. As my co-workers have the same difficulties of mine, we all try to show support and understanding to each other; mostly in funny way as well to absorb the stress and enjoy the high value added to societies and to ourselves. I would consider this supportive attitude is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
weekly breakfast gathering
Cons
almost no breaks with very stressful environment
Administrative Assistant/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 4, 2015
Working as a Administrative Assistant/ Receptionist and as a Legal Assistant, I really did learned a lot from my two positions, I worked in a very diverse environment/ where people were very polite, team work oriented, and very caring and i had very nice and reliable co workers,we got along very well . I learned a lot about my work, how to work closer with clients, how to handle hard clients and difficult tasks, how to be very patient and calm to very rude clients, and how to handle heavy load work during very busy days.
Moreover, the most enjoyable part of my job is how we treated and related to each other as far as co workers and most of our clients were very kind and respectful.
Pros
Bonuses at the end of the years.
Cons
Sometimes we had to work on New Years
The UN from afar
Sr. Field Operations Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington D.C.September 9, 2011
I had a great run with The United Nations, the job took me in an complete different direction in which I thought my life would go, but I would not change it for anything. The people you get to meet and interact with, the cultures that you are exposed to, being a military brat and born overseas I was lucky to be exposed to a lot of different places and customs, but for those of you who have not had the fortune to do so, working for the UN in any capacity is by far a whole new experience.
My co-workers and managment were the best and that make your work more enjoyable.
Account Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 25, 2015
I have enjoyed every day. I have learned different cultures and languages. It is a joy to be able to serve the world. It is an International Organization that service the world with humanities and need of the donor countries.
A very good United Nations/Bolivia Government Project to work for.
Administrative Director (Former Employee) –  La Paz, Bolivia, South AmericaMay 7, 2015
I was able to use my English language, my education and my previous work experience acquired in the United Nations Children's Fund, such as the knowledge of the United Nations rules, regulations and procedures, computer systems, and terminology.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
It was only a six-month job for the last semester of a three-year project.
Un
Visiting the field and distribution sites (Former Employee) –  Zahle, LebanonMay 8, 2016
Counsel individual asylum-seekers and refugees to manage their expectations on protection, assistance and durable solutions
Identify vulnerable asylum-seekers and refugees
Reporting and monitoring and evaluating nominated products/operations
Prepare detailed records of counseling sessions and follow-up on individual cases
Conduct registration interviews
Maintain registration and counseling database and provide regular input on daily actions
Ensure quality and integrity of information captured at registration, notably through peer review of
registered cases and follow up with respective functional units
Ensure constant and accurate upkeep of data (physical and electronic) to reflect status of persons of
concern by checking that all ProGres data fields are filled in properly
Manage and update refugee files as necessary
Compile periodic registration statistical reports and circulate them to all concerned parties, including
external parties. Analyze data to ensure data quality and integrity, and report trends and issues as required
Participate in support missions to the field offices
Liaising with partners and people of concern regarding field distributions
Draft routine correspondence based on instructions provided by the supervisor or based on background
information available on office files
Act as interpreter and translator when needed
Help in implementing new CS projects and conducting HPQ ( Household Profiling Questionnaire)
Monitoring and evaluating community services work of partners
Support the administrative unit when
  more... required (check for best quotations from suppliers during tendering
process, etc. )
Requesting office supplies and stationary
Visiting the field and distribution sites
The United Nations Organization is a mult-cultural and internatinal organization with the task of ensuring world peace and security. A great employer
Deputy to the head of section and desk officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 31, 2013
Most of my years on this job evolved deployment to high risk countries to provide staff safety and security in the humanitarian and development security operations. The hard part of this job was that it was a 24/7 job, The good part was that it provided very good income and benefits.
United Nations
Volunteer For Unicef (Former Employee) –  InternatiionalSeptember 27, 2015
Days working for the U.N consisted of helping villages and towns food and aid. i also translated and taught a little english too. this job has a lot of benefits and one of them being the humanitarian benefits.
Interesting,productive and motivating work environement
Diplomacy intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 28, 2014
Interning at the UN was a short-lived but very interesting work shift. The organisational culture was warm and receptive, and very encouraging. Information needed for my reports was easily accessible. During the General Assembly, I stayed at work longer hours as a Cameroon delegate. It was a little hard to be up and active the following day but overall it was a great experience.
Exciting environment and opportunities to connect with professionals
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2016
The United Nations is a wonderful organization to work for. Although the demands are great, the opportunities to grow and connect with professionals are very good.
really nice place to work
Fav/Lav Mechanic and Armored Fleet Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Northern siani, EgyptJuly 15, 2015
one of the best company's I have worked for in a long time. And would there again but have spent to much time in the war zones.
Pros
good people to work for
Cons
long hours and good money
Great place to gain an international background
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New York, New YorkOctober 3, 2015
I believe that the United Nations is one of the best ways to learn international politics and relate with people around the world.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Unpaid
family-like working environment
Intern, Division of Sustainable Development (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 27, 2014
full-time intern..

…it is pretty good work place though very competitive to get into the organization for young professionals.

…treat others like your family members without differences in nationalities, colors and etc would always be very nice.

…make sure to take advantage of this opportunity and networking in some high-level meetings.
Working in War torn Areas always with a Recreational centre and a Church..
Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Former YugoslaviaJune 14, 2012
My First International Job as a Peace Keeper...Worked Eagerly and Experienced Change of Weather seasons,Different Cultures and Languages..It was an Experience to Later change Both, My Understanding of the World and Way of Living..
Pros
learning, experience, survival and ability to work anywhere in the world.
Cons
none to comment on..
Great place to start a career or to end a career.
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2014
This is a very good place for recent grads to start a career or individuals nearing retirement to want to do something different.
Pros
Meet with very influenial people from all over the world
Cons
not in professional development and growth.
Typical quasi-government entity environment
Business Intelligence Analyst/Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 29, 2014
Enterprise centered IT environment which is highly regimented. Application development is based on approved and standardized software platform. Majority of actual programming are outsourced abroad or done by outside consultants.
Pros
Exposure to international culture.
Cons
Rigid adherence to standards and protocols.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Nations. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4