United Natural Foods

United Natural Foods Employer Reviews

Very fast paced environment
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), Moreno Valley, CAMay 23, 2014
The workplace always has new hires present replacing others no longer with the company.
A little wild, a great sense of accomplishment
Level 3 Tech Support (Former Employee), Rocklin, CAMay 15, 2014
Pros: the people (and the varied work environment - office, warehouse, remote).
Cons: the occasional 18+ hour day, little spare time for long-term projects
The typical workday at UNFI for site technicians started with updates on projects and larger-scale issues, a quick review of the night's activities and the day's schedule, and a mad dash to fit break-fix issues in with projects, executive and remote sales needs, planning and arranging with contractors and vendors for service, upgrades, and ongoing large-scale – more... projects.

After, that, lunch. The days could be quite full. I of course learned to handle many new technologies, from a warehouse full of handhelds and equipment-mounted devices, to large MHE systems and methods for dealing with everyday computer and printer support, but the most important thing I learned in an environment like that is juggling. It's not just a question of prioritizing, which is important, it's a question of communicating. The first "pressure-release valve" on a troublesome support issue of often knowing help is on the way. Luckily, the people I worked with made that easy.

The management at UNFI I will have to deal with in two halves - IT and general. The IT management team was mostly remote but kept in touch regularly with all the techs at the sites and in the field (and techs sometimes traveled as well, partly for familiarity with new systems and cross-training). Systems for keeping the chain of command informed of events and potential downstream consequences were constantly evolving - it was an exciting time. Schedules were hectic, but IT management made sure to keep in touch and made it known someone was available at pretty much any hour for backing the techs up, or providing authority for purchases or IT decisions. I always felt like help was nearby.

Our location had a number of executives, and they were a pleasure to work with. Though their needs and schedules could be demanding, they were pleasant, professional, and cheerful. That attitude definitely rolled downhill, the staff in general were, despite sometimes demanding work, more glad to see help arrived than angered by the issue. We were lucky to have a good team to keep on top of the minor issues and keep the major projects going, but the attitude and knowledge of the 700 or so souls at the site, more than anything else, kept things running smoothly.

The hardest part of the job, apart from the occasional 18-hour day or surprise travel, was the fact that certain projects of lower priority had to be put off or even "wired around," if they or the solution did not affect day-to-day operations, and that certain larger projects could not be completed (or even started) before I left. It is hard to leave work unfinished.

The most enjoyable parts of the job were my co-workers. Memorable, great times from the simplest of tasks or larger projects to "lunch teams" meeting when our schedules worked out. One of the best parts of being in tech support is meeting and seeing just about everyone in the company - the singer, the part-time auto racer, the world traveler... the senses of humor, the stories, and the energy people bring to a place make it unique, and everyone there has something to teach you. – less
long hours, no life, split days off
Order Selector (Former Employee), moreno valley caApril 30, 2014
longs hours. no life always working overtime. no management control
Jr. Siebel Analytics Developer
Jr. Siebel Analytics Developer (Former Employee), Providence, RIApril 7, 2014
• Gathered Requirements and created functional specifications documents
• Created detailed design documentation
• Extended all 3 layers (Physical, Business and Presentation) of rpd for the financial data model
• Enhanced existing Business Models & created customized Dashboards
• Implemented measures & dimensions and organized the data into related subject – more... areas
• Customized and developed repository, configured metadata objects (Subject Area, Table, Column) and Web Catalog Objects (Dashboard, Pages, Folders, Reports)
• Configured iBots to deliver analytics content based on schedule, automated iBot queries to obtain weekly reports & sent notifications Alerts to Managers
• Created hierarchy based Sales Card Dashboards for different Business units and end users
• Worked on subject areas like Finance, Inventory Procurement etc.
• Assisted in migration of project from Test to Production, troubleshoot and resolved issues
• Configured existing dashboards, metadata objects and report level security to set up position based functional dashboard access
• Environment: Siebel Analytics 7.8.4, Siebel (Admin Tool & Analytics Web - Answers, Dashboard), Informatica Power Center 6.1, MS-SQL Server 2000, Windows, Teradata – less
Bad management
Reach Truck Operator (Former Employee), Greenwood, INApril 6, 2014
Pros: incentive
Cons: horrible management
Not organized or ready for customer orders.
Bad turn over rate.
Supervisors were not on the same page as eachother.
a nice productive place to work at
Material handler (Former Employee), York, PAMarch 22, 2014
i enjoyed every second i spent working for them, and i enjoyed a lot more helping people
Growing fast changing company
HR MANAGER (Former Employee), Palm Harbor, FLFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: profit increase, environmentally consciouss, culturally driven
UNFI is an incredible company that is growing and consistently changing to be a company that represents the product they carry. UNFI strives to focus on internal culture, sustainability, and philanthropic initiatives.
It was a fun experience for my first job and it taught me how warehouses run and what the work is like in them.
Cooler/Freezer/Grocery Selector (Former Employee), York, PAOctober 30, 2013
Pros: free trips, events, free food, friends
Cons: short breaks, a lot of overtime, fatigue
My days at UNFI were usually 9 to 10 hours long. Everything was organized and the production was well. The people I worked with taught me how to work in there and how I could get better if I just tried. The hardest part of the job was trying to deal with out of stocks. The out of stocks would slow me down and kill some of my rate. The most enjoyable – more... part of my job was bonding with the people around me. That helped build motivation for me when ever the day was just not right. – less
Always under general supervision , but enjoy my position with the company .
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 7, 2013
Pros: the pros for me was becoming a permanent worker
Cons: the cons for me was when the company relocated to another area, unfortunately i wasn't able to relocate .
A typical day at work would be assisting in all areas, working for this company was much appreciated with much respect because you was train in all areas, so that itself gave you the opportunity to learn and grow . Management was fair to me, if you were willing to carry your load a long with quality work you would excel . I never had a problem with – more... any of my co-workers in believe it or not we had 3 shifts. The hardest job for me was, learning to operate the cherry-picker, picking orders from a very high level , but I learn to adapt to a new situation ,and begin to love it to much . The most enjoyable part was pulling all the orders in a timely manner , somewhat of being competitive in a good sportsmanship way . – less
Good benefits,long hours
Order Puller (Current Employee), Atlanta, GASeptember 28, 2013
Good Benefits,But we can work up to 16 hours in one day,no set time to get off.Sure we get three days off but you be too tired to spend time with your family.
One of the best places to work at!
Technical Project Manager (Current Employee), Providence, RISeptember 4, 2013
Pros: opportunity to work as a team, diligence, resillience.
Cons: have to work real hard, no heaven on earth.
Candid and diligent team work can not bring anything but success!
UNFI
Senior Pricing Coordinator (Current Employee), Chesterfield, NHSeptember 4, 2013
Its a decent place to work but the pay could be better. Work lifestyle is okay - sometimes under-appreciated but the benefits are a plus.
productive fun workforce
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Moreno Valley, CAAugust 31, 2013
Pros: employee of the month lunch in
Cons: short breaks
a typical day at work fun, i learned people have different problem, good management well trained, co-workers are nice helps others , making sure all departments are fully staff, working with the people
a typical day at work
Picker (Former Employee), Rocklin, CAAugust 11, 2013
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
work out room
Repack selecter (Former Employee), Sarasota, FLJuly 31, 2013
Pros: would bring in free lunches and also have picnics.
Cons: to much tension in the warehouse.
management was not very helpful because they did not know much about the job to be done. Co-workers were not trained rite as how to do the job rite. Keeping up with numbers.
Long hours but great team work
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee), Iowa City, IAJuly 30, 2013
I enjoyed my time at UNFI. I met many friends and had a very pleasent experience with the company the only drawback was the hours. When presented with job I was scheduled for 10 hours with some over time. My normal work day usally ran between 12-17 hours.
very active workplace
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee), Chesterfield, NHMay 25, 2013
Pros: most people are friendly
Cons: breaks are too short for those working 10 hr days
a typical day at work for me is to get my computer up and working
and start processing the pile of work on my desk before the phone
starts ringing. There is always plenty of work to do which I like
because there is absolutely no idle time. I have learned a lot about
organic foods, how it's grown, processed, etc. Management is
busy as well so sometimes – more... it is hard to catch someone if you have
a question but I can usually find someone. My co workings are all
pretty decent people and I think we all work well together. The
hardest part of the job is to keep up with the volume of work you
are expected to complete. The most enjoyable part is I pretty
much work alone with no one looking over my shoulder. I know
what I need to do and I do it. – less
Everyone here has a great sense of humor, productive, very laid back and always open to new suggestions.
Primary DBA (Current Employee), Providence, RIMay 1, 2013
Pros: very often we had free lunches, very open minded management and great team members
Cons: long meetings and long working hours
The day starts with a 'standup' meeting just so everyone in the team knows what everybody else is doing.

I learned that I don't have to glue me to my seat but socialize and build relationships and was such a great help to me interact with other teams, pick up little ideas and gathering information to help me during my day. It was great to let go of – more... information and get some back too.

The management was always open to discussion and fresh ideas.

People are very laidback, strong technical skills, great sense of humor, a very healthy mix of work and fun.

The hardest part of the job was getting through meetings. When everyone has a great sense of humor, we always ran out of time too soon and strayed away from the agenda on a regular basis.

The daily stretch time was the most enjoyable part of the job and the interactions we had. It was a great team. – less
Cross Dock Supervisor (Former Employee), Rocklin CalifornaiApril 29, 2013
Pros: awesome place to work
Was in charge of inbound and outbound logistics. In charge of drivers picking up backhauls and shipping product to other facilities across the United States.
Order Puller /Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Denver, COApril 15, 2013
Pros: stock share, 401 k, job advancement, diversity
Cons: must work weekends, and evenings
Company is diversified, and treat people with great respect, for their work.

About United Natural Foods

Distribution is second nature for United Natural Foods, Inc. (UNFI). The company is one of the top wholesale distributors of natural, – Read more