United Rentals, Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Enjoyable calling on jobsites with contractors
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CAFebruary 12, 2016
I learned how to run and operate all construction equipment from compressors to reach fork lifts, booms and all heavy equipment.
Pros
versatility in customer types
Cons
management
A place to learn and gain experience
Industrial pressure washer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC 28269December 29, 2015
I was a a contract worker. The only problem was that I had no chance for permanent employment with a criminal record in my past. I was initially let go solely on those grounds. That is very unfair.. There absolutely was no other reason to not hire me permanent. I have nothing bad to say about the company. Got along good with the workers. I worked there six months and one day they had me train another fellow and two days later was let go. That was pretty bad, everything else was good. Oh definitely not a mixture of different ethnic backgrounds at the site I worked. I was the only Black on the site and my replacement was another black person as well. Not good for a company.
Fast Paced, Exciting Work and fun Learning & Operating Heavy Machinery
Inside Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Acworth, GAApril 20, 2016
Establishing new rental accounts. Ensuring customer satisfaction while working with all inside, and outside branch staff. Coordinating and track daily equipment pickup’s and returns with the branch, within the district, and with Central Dispatch. Processing rental quotations, reservations, contracts, and invoices in compliance with company policy. Cycle accounts, housekeeping, merchandise sales, service calls, and maintaining knowledge of proper use of all fleet on yard. Branch Safety Champion. Forklift certified, as well as certified to operate scissor lift and boom lifts.

Management would talk poorly about other employees performances on the floor, which I believe is unethical. They seemed out of touch with the immediate need to hire more employees for such an incredibly busy branch.

Hardest part of the job was the 50-60 hour work week on top of the hour long commute.

I had an amazing team, who would always look out for not only your safety, but would go out of their way to teach you something new and help you accomplish your individual as well as team goals.
Pros
Salary & Teammates
Cons
Hours away from family & difficulty in promotion
Overall
Inside Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 8, 2016
Management shows favoritism. they off good workers and keep workers that are disruptive
All departments do not work together
Overall good.
Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Etowah, TNFebruary 24, 2016
Overall good. decent place to work. I would recommend to anyone for employment. Good employers. However no benefits. Apply you wont regret it.
Job didn't seem like work.
Parts (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INSeptember 14, 2015
Excellent company, excellent people.
Hard work was always rewarded fairly.
Great benefits.
Great Managers.
Time went quickly due to positive work environment and professional yet fun work environment and culture.
Good Company
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COJuly 27, 2015
Great Working Environment
Safety orientated
Good Benefits
Can be long hours for management
Fast paced and changing priorities
Great customer service experience
Large Company with share holders in mind
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Sulphur, LAApril 22, 2016
Great company to work for if you are in right position. Good commission opportunities for rentals and sales. Being such a large company, management focuses on revenue only and not customer satisfaction. Micro Manages everything.
Pros
Commission opportunity
Cons
Large Company, heavy micro mangement
Good company to work for. Some employees not so good to work with. Not common at other locations I have work at
Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Corsicana, TXMay 17, 2016
Some employees not so great to work with at my last location. This was the only location that was like that. I enjoyed the job, until a new employee had started, that cause a lot of problems. Prior to that, it was a great place to work.
management
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTMay 26, 2016
days are 8 hours unless they need something
learn to wash equipment fast if you want to work there
management can't make a decision with out endless emails
most coworkers are good people
the most enjoyable part of the day is 3:30
Pros
last day
Cons
going to work there
good
Driver/ Delivery and pickup of Rental equipment (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, ILApril 20, 2016
overall good company very safety concerned very friendly,, loved the customer contact and the year round work,,enjoyed being everywhere in the chicagoland area
Pros
freedom no management looking over your shoulder
Cons
nothing
A place where the employees matter
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Eunice, NMOctober 8, 2015
A great palace to work. The company cared about its employees and was all the time doing things for them such as dinners, lunches, parties, etc.. Everyone worked together to get the job done. Upper management would roll their sleeves up and get dirty with the normal employees just to get the job done.
Pros
Take care of employees
Cons
Never could get a transfer to Texas
Enjoyed this position.
Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALNovember 3, 2015
Worked with some fun people in a slow paced office. Enjoyed learning about rentals and the construction industry. The location closed and reopened long after I left so I am not sure how it is today.
Pros
Great managment
Cons
low benefits offered back then
Fast pace environment where attention to detail is key/being able to use your critical thinking skills.
Assistant Manager/Inside Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 23, 2015
Review scoreboard sheets and diagnose the productivity of the branch.Then I personally conduct daily safety/office meetings that includes branch manner , operation manner, sales rep,and techs just to inform the guys what the day may bring. After that I coordinate that plan that was put in place in the meeting as well as help complete the task at hand. Whether its actually getting my hands dirty ,setting up hauling, loading the material or just playing the role of the middle man between my company and the vendor, Im very hands on in relates by branch functioning. By having such responsibility mastering my field which in pump solution a field I didn't have any experience in is definitely the hardest part of my job.Attention to detail is so key in this field because the slightest mistake on my part could affect an entire job.However, it s the part I enjoy the most because the challenge of mastering a skill. I also, love the whole idea of me coordinating or managing the each job and coming up with solution with my fellow employees.
Pros
Company phone
Cons
Really no breaks, rental company never sleeps
Ok company.
mechanic (Current Employee) –  Martinez caJanuary 20, 2015
Good benefits, pay is ok, management is terrible, customers and employees alike are treated like garbage. Rates are high, and the equipment breaks down frequently. Managers come in late and leave early and expect drivers/mechanics to stay all hours of the night. You're never thanked or appreciated for your hard work. Too much of a "good ol' boys" club, it's all about who you know there. No room for advancement, good first job, but that's about it. Kind of a dead end place.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
bad management, poor service and attitude
Great Work enviorment
Shop Foreman; Service Technician IV (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 22, 2016
Enjoyed working for United Rentals. Gained valuable experience during my time with United and enjoyed amazing benefits.
Cant seem to keep yourself out of the politics no matter how u try
Tech 4 (Current Employee) –  Bay City, TXAugust 7, 2015
you stay busy days go by quickly, but no matter how hard you work as their management structure is much too complicated ( too many chiefs not enough Indians) it is way too hard to keep your morale up. they keep everyone on the lower levels feeling as though they are never doing enough. while they never seem to see that there are some real problems within the management.for example when their stock prices start to go down as they have been all year this year they immediately start writing the lowest people on the pole up for every thing they may mistakenly do. It seems that it is always the people who work the hardest fault that they arent doing as well as they think they should. Sunbelt and other industry competition are really hurting them and the only solutions they seem to come up with are to cut the people at the bottom until they can magically make their bottom line look better to the stock holders... turned out to be a typical corporation mentality never felt like i had a secure future there.
Pros
busy day goes quickly, pay well
Cons
management has a clear disconnect from the lower rung employees
Good workplace and bad management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 18, 2016
Liked the people in my office but my boss had a god complex and liked to control everything. The office was good and there was always a different campaign being called.
fast paced company
Shop Foreman (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 1, 2016
very fast paced place to work and competitive environment.
workers very easy to talk to, upper management not so easy to talk to.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Good pay, bad job
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 17, 2016
Good pay. Constant cold calling. UR is the most expensive game on the block and 75% of the customers view the construction rental industry as a commodity. The 25% that don't are customers who are locked up by national account reps.