United States Army Reserves Employee Reviews

Very fulfilling work environment
Preventive Medicine NCO (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOAugust 19, 2013
A typical day for a Preventive Medicine NCO could include a number of things, ranging from an e.coli outbreak, to a possible mustard gas scare.
My position as the Preventive Medicine NCO/Team Leader consisted of coordinating and scheduling the monthly inspections required of us for specific base camps. The inspections would include everything from food and dining inspections, water point and sanitation inspections, living area and gym inspections to air and soil sampling. We were involved in anything and everything that the could be potentially hazardous to soldiers.
I learned many things in this field of work. Things such as communicating and working with the indigenous population of third world countries. Communicating findings and concerns to higher officials and dignitaries. I also learned better how to be a leader and make important decisions quickly and accurately.
The most difficult part of this job would have to be the prioritization of the various events that could and do occur at the same time. A possible water contamination versus some kind of food-borne illness and both need to be investigated ASAP. Delegating and balancing those aspects is a difficulty at time. Also a great learning experience.
The most enjoyable part of the job definitely has to be that knowing that the result of doing my job correctly helps save lives and keep soldiers healthy.
Pros
medical and educational benefits. travel to many places.
Cons
working in hostile areas. being away from family long periods of time.
Brotherhood,Team work, Operating as a unit
Filed Artillery (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 13, 2013
I learned so much in the military.I've learned how to discipline myself through obstacles I never though I would be able to achieve.One simple obstacle to mention were push ups.Before I became a member of the USA military,I believed I could only properly execute just 15 push ups in one set.With my team mates and my superiors' encouragement,I was able to execute 86 push ups in one round.That's just a small example of the discipline I've learned in the USA Army.
Management was very effective.Many times I was left to be my own manager.This is part of the military's culture,to train us with outstanding management,and then leave us to manage our selves so we can experience trial and error.My co-workers (or battle buddies), were a great pair of people to work with. We helped each look good because when one of us look bad,it reflects the entire team. The hardest part of the job was the heavy amounts of expectations,pressure and stress to exceed greatness.Many times these expectations seems unattainable,but to each and everyone of my battle buddies surprise,including myself, we achieve all that was expected of us.The most enjoyable part of the job was the team work,the brotherhood.The idea that if I'm struggling with something my battle buddy will be there to assist me and vice versa.
Pros
benefits, helping my battle buddy look as good as i do with tasks
Cons
not enough hours in a day to achieve all our goals at one time
Training one weekend per month, two weeks per year.
Health Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 21, 2014
The Health Care Specialist is primarily responsible for providing emergency medical treatment, limited primary care and health protection and evacuation from a point of injury or illness. Health Care Specialists are often called "combat medics" in the Army, because some Soldiers in this MOS are assigned to deploy with Army combat units, and provide emergency medical treatment directly on the battlefield. Other Health Care Specialists are assigned to military hospitals and clinics to assist doctors and nurses with the health care needs of patients. Administer emergency medical treatment to battlefield casualties. Assist with outpatient and inpatient care and treatment. Interview patients and recording their medical histories. Take patients' temperature, pulse and blood pressure. Prepare blood samples for laboratory analysis. Keep health records and clinical files up-to-date. Give shots and medicines to patients. Prepare patients, operating rooms, equipment and supplies for surgery.
Training Information
Job training for a health care specialist requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and 16 weeks of Advanced Individual Training, including practice in-patient care. Certification with the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians.
I enjoyed the Army career because I learned a lot, got to travel & meet a lot of nice people & receive a lot of varitions of training.
North United States Senior Regional Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSMarch 16, 2015
A normal day with the Army Reserve, started with checking attendance, visiting with my instructors to see how their month went & then looking over the training schedule, assigning work to each of my Regional Area Managers. Having conference calls on Saturday morning to discuss training matters of upcoming events. It was sometimes difficult to receive the materials we needed from our Battalion, which was located in Bossier City, Louisiana. I had a lot of very talented instructors, that had a take charge attitude so I didn't have to baby sit them to ensure that the work load was being taken care of. I mainly enjoyed passing on the knowledge that I had learned over my 27 years of service. It was also very nice to receive the respect from the public when traveling to all the places that I did.
Pros
job security (until government cutback), pay, retirement, working with some great soldiers / instructors, traveling to all the places my military career took me to.
Cons
being retired early, (government cutback), with an unblemished career, having some soldiers that put their friends in front of others, when it came to receiving new uniforms or supplies from the battalion.
No better feeling than being a soldier.
Food Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Middletown, PAJune 10, 2013
After serving 8 years in the Army, there are some things I really miss about it and others, I am glad to do without.

Some missions involved cooking 3 meals a day for over hundreds of troops. Raising morality with the sorts of foods we wanted to serve. All recipes were made from scratch. We practiced our skills in the field as well on an MKT (Mobile Kitchen Trailer). Where even hundreds of miles from an actual kitchen... we could bake a cake.

Some missions we were involved as a fighting force, as each soldier is still a soldier. Maintaining weapon skills, squad training and even leadership. We did things, that many of us had never done; fly in UH-60's (Blackhawk) or APC's (Armored Personnel Carriers).

The management was some of the best, though some of our orders from Captains and Commanders were silly at times. Never the less, we did our jobs in the manner we were supposed to.

The best part of my job was seeing different places and meeting different people.

The hardest part was working sometimes 16 hour days, 7 days a week. Little sleep. Little time for recreation.
Pros
fantastic opportunities and learning skills not normally taught in civilian life.
Cons
little benefits, very little pay for the work required and demanding on mind, body and soul.
Learning to become a leader
Dental Assistant in the U.S. Army Reserves I (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 30, 2015
My experience with the United States Army Reserve has been a good one. There is pride in what you do unmeasurable. In the reserves it is different than being "full time" or active. You must be self motivated. Keeping in shape to comply with the Army's standards, fulfilling education requirements, and advancing through the ranks. I learned a form of leadership that cannot be taught in a classroom but resonates with people from all walks of life. For the managent portion of this review I will insert my views on my superiors since the Army's garrison is not likened to a traditional cvilian managment structure. The garrison is a rank structure that is proven for the work you do within the military that is set up to be versatile since you will experience the leadership of many different commanders. Your co-workers are your fellow soldiers who you train for life and death situations with and have your back no matter what. The hardest part of the job is maintaining yourself and being prepared by motivating yourself. The most enjoyable part of the job is all the things you get to do that you otherwise probably never get to do.
Pros
Learning how to become a leader
Cons
Some situations can be stressful on the family
Productive and fun working environment
Chaplain Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Jackson, SCFebruary 11, 2016
A typical day at work would have the results of a good nights sleep because you just had a 17 hour day of physical and mental labor.
You'd be doing push-ups, sit-ups, and leg raises all day. On top of that you'd be doing drills to learn best how to enter a building with armed enemies inside, arm crawling for 100' or so, Drill Sergants yelling at you and putting up with their mental games, and learning different ways how to disarm or put down the enemy.
The main thing I learned from the army, is even if it isn't specifically my fault; we are a team, and if one of us messes up, we all mess up.
Management was good but they skipped over some very important training.
My fellow comrades didn't get teamwork to the very end of our training, I guess they have learned the hard way on the battlefield.
The hardest part of the job for my comrades was forgetting themselves and thinking of the team. For me, it was taking orders without talking back or giving excuse of why I cant but I got over both of these quickly.
The most enjoyable part of the job was competing against other platoons or brigades and being most presentable then the others.
Pros
Allowance for religious practices on Sunday, free medical, Recreaction Day
Cons
selfish comrades, 10 min meals
Productive and diverse environment.
Combat Medic (Current Employee) –  Fort Bragg, NCJanuary 30, 2015
A typical day in the Army would be coming in to work at 7:45am each morning for a morning huddle, follwed by breaking off into our individual sections. Other soldiers will stop at each station to make sure their medical readiness is up to date, and make their last stop at Quality Control where I work. I review everyone else's work to make sure it has been done correctly, and stamp off on that soldier to be cleared.
My co-workers are very easy to get along with. We help each other out when they have questions, and work together to make our section solid.
The hardest part of the job would be the lack of help when we are scheduled to see a large group of soldiers that day. The work gets overwhelming, but we pick up each other's slack and we pull through.
The most enjoyable part of the job is having the opportunity to meet people from all over the United States and Puerto Rico. I have ran into a few people that I completed training with several years ago, and it is always nice to see how people are doing these days. I also love how diverse of a group we have here. We have soldiers from all different states wroking together, and that in itself has been wonderful.
Pros
steady paycheck and benefits
Cons
not flexible working days
Combat Service Support training and development environment for leaders
Information Technology Officer (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSDecember 30, 2014
a typical day at my army reserve job is training leaders to be mission ready for deployment overseas. In the short time as an officer in the reserves I have learned how to manage soldiers and organize plans that will help my subordinates and I accomplish the task at hands. The organization has competent leaders who are very pleasant to work with. When I first got to the organization, they welcomed me with open arms and help me as I transitioned from college. The hardest part of the job would be keeping the team motivated, and I say this because as a leader your subordinates are all different and different things motivate each and every individual. Finally, the most enjoyable part of the job is when my subordinates are positive and working hard to create a less stressful environment.
Pros
has great benefits, paid for college, and allows me the opportunity to travel the world to work with a variety of people.
Cons
positions are limited due to budget cuts in the military.
Proud to serve and protect the people of the USA.
Automated Logistics Specialist (92A) (Current Employee) –  Macon, GAJuly 7, 2015
Establish and maintain records such as stock list spreadsheets, material control, inventory, supply reports and accounting. Review and verify quantities received against bills of contracts ship documents and purchase requests. Monthly responsibilities include unloading and storing incoming equipment and supplies in database. Administer document control procedures and maintain stock location systems. Prepare requests and turn-in documents at direct support level through warehousing sections. Perform prescribed load list and shop stock list duties according to manual and automated supply applications. Managed shop stock of 200 items that cost $500,000. Prepare, explain, and distribute shipping documents in accordance to regulations.
Pros
Protecting the country
Cons
One weekend per month, not enough pay
great environment to be in, great camaraderie
Multi- Channel Communications Operator/Maintainer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 28, 2013
the people there are great and the environment is good to be in. working together everyday to ensure the mission gets done. we have learned many things from vehicle maintenance to trouble shooting the system networks and equipment. higher management are good people to work under they motivate you to become better and always try your best. the fellow co-workers are a bunch of great people from all walks of life. Making the work place enjoyable because of the many different cultures that come united to work together for the same task. the hardest part about the job is knowing it is not full time so you cannot rely on that for main income. what is most enjoyable is the camaraderie that you get whit the men and women of that unit.
Pros
camaraderie, sense of pride in the work you are doing
Cons
not full time or active.
Hardworking, motivated, and professional work environment
Career Development (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IowaDecember 10, 2014
A typical day at work for the past year would consist of showing up the facility for early guard mount. In guard mount we would do roll call as well as being informed on what happened over night, what will need to be done during the day, and out positions of the day. Then we would work for 12 hours and start all over again the next day.
At most it will be 50 soldiers working in the facility and all day we are there for the care, custody, and control of the detainees and the camp.
The hardest part of the job would be working with the detainees because we are looking at the enemy in the face everyday.
The most enjoyable part of the day is working with my fellow soldiers. No matter if you're not the best of friends we had to be there for each other to get through the day.
Pros
free food and great experiences.
Cons
long hours and little sleep.
Staff Administrative Assistant
Staff Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, WVFebruary 9, 2013
A typical day at work consist of personnel actions, communication among team work, process personnel actions and pay actions, updating and recording tracking system and traveling 20 percent of the time to various units for administrative visits. I contionously learn Army regulation and directives and how to work with individuals on a daily basis. My management is very limited, I am my own supervisor on a work basis. As for attendance, this is recorded by higher headquarters. My co-workers are from all different backgrounds, we work together to accomplish the mission. The hardest part of my job is the work process and flow from higher headquarters. It is very hard to get ahead when your higher is lacking on processing all actions. The best part of my job is the benefits and stability I recieve.
n/a
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic- Job Duties (Current Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXSeptember 5, 2013
Job Duties include Maintain wheeled vehicles. Use of applicable references, inspecting, servicing, maintaining, repairing, replacement, adjusting and testing of wheeled vehicles and material handling equipment systems, subsystems and components such as: power plant/packs, compression ignition engines and engine fuel systems, air induction and exhaust systems and cooling systems. Vehicle chassis and power train components including, frame cross members, clutches assemblies, transmissions, transfers, final drives, propeller shaft assemblies, brake systems and steering systems, suspensions systems, fifth wheel assemblies, wheeled vehicle crane, hoist and winch assemblies, and hydraulic systems. Automotive electrical systems including wiring harness, starting, and charging systems.
Facts about the Military
Automated Logistical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bell, CAOctober 15, 2014
A typical day at work consists of us NCO's (Non Commissioned Officers) making sure that our soldiers show up for Battle Assembly. We have to assist the Platoon Sgt. in making sure that all of our soldiers have the necessary paperwork in getting certain missions completed. I learn about new military regulations every time I drill. Management has their moments. Sometimes Management are not consistent with their rules and regulations. The hard part of a job is keeping soldier accountable for their actions while looking for Senior Leadership to back us up. The exciting part of the job is that I get to see how the soldiers are doing on and off duty from the military.
Pros
lunch is free
Cons
they (leadership) keep the same hours even if finish our work a head of schedule, it will not matter.
Challenging
FOOD SERVICES / TRANSPORTATION (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJanuary 10, 2015
FOOD SERVICES
Prepare small and large quantities of food, cook, clean, took head counts, prepared salad bar, took inventory
TRANSPORTATION
Operates all wheel vehicles and equipment, manage entrucking and detrucking of personnel being transported, checks for proper loading and unloading of cargo on vehicles and trailers, secures cargo against inclement weather, pilferage and damage; correct and report vehicle deficiencies, operates vehicle component material handling equipment as required, organize and participate in convoys, dispatches vehicles and verify vehicle logbooks, receives and fills requests from authorized persons for motor transport, compiles time, mileage and load data.
Pros
going different places in the world
Cons
working one weekend out of the month only
Leadership Opportunity, Values,
Human Resources Specialist (42A) (Current Employee) –  McChord AFB, WAMay 14, 2013
• Responsible for personnel and administrative support to over 150+ Soldiers
• Ensures all documents are filed properly in MPF & Medical records and soldiers audit their MPF annually
• Prepares orders and request for orders
• Processes, reviews, and coordinates all actions pertaining to actions, and military awards
• Screens and updates promotion packets for Semi-centralized Promotion Boards
• Establishes and maintains unit Alert Rosters
• Monitored requests for personnel accounting and strength management, training soldier support file, and unit administration
• Facilitated a positive and productive work environment by helping to promote the growth and learning of other soldiers.
• Complete necessary paperwork in a timely and effective manner
A Challenge Worth Meeting
HELP DESK TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 18, 2013
The hardest part about working in the military for me is the mass discipline and personal opinions getting in the way of job camaraderie. A typical day can be as long as 24 hours or as short as 6. Traveling is a major benefit as well as learning new skills, education opportunities, promotions, health benefits, and bonuses. The thing I enjoy the most are my NCO's, I have trained under some of the best, most qualified, demanding, sergeants and drill sergeants and instructors who live the military way through and through. I never can ask for better experiences or knowledge as the ones gained from this phenomenal leadership. I learned to appreciate the military once I got over myself.
Pros
shelter, food, and clothes
Cons
living with people from various backgrounds with different values.
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  caMarch 31, 2015
Provides advice to subordinate units and is the authoritative resource person on diverse military personnel questions or problems in a multitude of action areas including strength management and assuring compliance with procedures and regulations. Provides technical guidance to reservists assigned to assist in functional areas.
Manage administrative and clerical operations of the headquarters office. Direct administrative services and personnel operations for internal operation of the headquarters. Coordinate and supervise training of ART or Reserve personnel performing administrative and clerical duties at the headquarters.
Serves as the scan operator and authorized official in the Personnel Electronic Records Management System (iPERMS).
Pros
na
Cons
na
Productive daily, everyday a learning experience
Military Police/ Resettlement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Arlington Heights, IL (home station)May 18, 2012
Detainee Operations in support of Task Force 3-10

Learned Afghan culture, Afghan language (Pastu), proven success in detainee operations (unable to talk about the tasks we were assigned)

Grew as a person and know I can do anything I put my mind to
Battle buddies are the best people I could ever ask for; they are my family; we take care of each other and are always there for one another

Hardest part of the job was being away from all my family and not being able to talk about work or tell them what I did everyday

Most enjoyable part of work was being able to go to work, knowing that I lived through the night
Pros
everything was paid for: free lunch, free gym access, free housing
Cons
12 hour shifts, 7 days a week was very exshausting

4.5