United States District Court Employee Reviews

Ability to wear different hats.
United States Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 12, 2017
This is a job that was hard to get bored of. You had lots of flexibility and time in the office as well as in the field. The downside was the extensive amount of paperwork. But it was part of the job.
Provided the environment to Know your peers and Professional growth
UNITED STATES PROBATION CLERK (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 6, 2017
Always busy with people coming in and out of the office.
Specialized management procedures in place.
The hardest part of the job for me was to keep personal feelings and opinions to interfere with our customers.
People that work there can have a career until retirement.
Nice place to work
Courtroom Deputy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 1, 2017
You will not be micro-managed. Once you learn your duties, its your job to make sure their done expeditiously and accurately. The co-workers are awesome. I enjoyed working there.
Pros
They contributed to paying a portion of transportation
Cons
Sometimes you are not being heard by management with issues or concerns
Fantastic Place to Work and Learn
Judicial Intern (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 31, 2017
The District Court is filled with seasoned jurists and staff who share a passion for the law and a willingness to share this passion with those who are coming up in the ranks. Great experience.
Dream Job
Law Clerk (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 18, 2017
One of the best jobs a young lawyer could ever have. Fantastic work, peerless mentors, and countless opportunities to learn, all while serving your country and your profession.
Good Pay
United States Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 14, 2017
Good pay working for Court. Coworkers were good people and very professional. Heavy emphasis on documentation and case management. Transfer to different locations a plus.
Evelyn Mann
Executive Assistant to Clerk of Court (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 24, 2017
Days at work could be intense and brisk paced. I learned to multi-task and find the quickest resolution to a problem. I have worked for Judges and Unit Executives for the latter part of my career. The most difficult is balancing various personalities and their workloads while making everyone feel their task is the most important. The most enjoyable part of my job was learning new things each day about the law.
Pros
monetarily rewarded
Cons
high pressure
Very fast paced place to work
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 13, 2017
The day was filled with important and lesson learning tasks. It was always an adventure, never a dull moment. The customers were very lively. The experience in working here is that you get a chance to help other people and learn how to do so in the process.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Not enough hours in the day
Good Company to work for
Court Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 26, 2016
Data entry was the largest part of the job. Every three months you work a public counter rotation for a week. Usually two clerks work the counter. At the end of the day you balance your cash drawer and submit it.
Productive and educational.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCDecember 9, 2016
This was an Internship. It was an amazing experience to see the Federal Court system at work. I was also instrumental in an ongoing project digitizing older files.
Great place to work, Great people. I will miss it.
Network Administrator 1 (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYAugust 19, 2016
Resolving PC, Printer and Network related issues is a day to day process. I gained training as upgrades to hardware and software were implemented and trained users as needed. Management and co-workers are awesome. I enjoyed working for the courts. The hardest part was leaving when my position ended.
Pros
Company paid certifications, Healthcare and pay
Worked closely with U.S. District Court Judge as his law clerk
LAW CLERK (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 29, 2016
review and analyze briefs and motions filed with the court,

draft bench memoranda summarizing the litigant's arguments perform legal research,

draft preliminary opinions for court's review

conduct summary jury trials, where I presided as finder of fact and instructed the summary jury as to applicable law.
Pros
Valuable learning experience; gained an inside view as to the judicial process
Cons
Productive and fun place to work
Courtroom Deputy/Judicial Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, MSJune 27, 2016
During my typical workday, I am responsible for managing the district judge's caseload by calendaring, monitoring the filings of motions and other legal documents, setting dates for hearings, trials and conferences. I attend court sessions and conferences with the district judge, take notes, and draft orders. I also keep the district judge's staff informed of case progress. I maintain a cooperative working relationship with judicial officials and their staff. I make travel arrangements for the district judge.
Pros
The district judge is very easy to work with. The court has an excellent healthcare plan.
Great organization.
Appeals Clerk/Docket Clerk/Courtroom Specialist (Current Employee) –  Trenton, New JerseyJune 22, 2016
If you're a hard worker and give your best each day then you will be pleased with your success.

Also, being a federal employee you can relocate to another state and obtain employment.
Pros
Job is not close to residence
Cons
Retirement plan makes all your hard work and long hours worth it.
Constant Learning Environment
United States Probation Officer (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXMay 23, 2016
Everyday there something new going on that we need to be aware of or knowledgeable about. Our judges depend heavily on us and deadlines create the most stress day-to-day. My favorite part about my job is that everyone around me is educated and more than competent. Its a ton of responsibility, but we're doing good work.
Productive and hard working
FINANCIAL TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 5, 2016
My work flow is pretty steady. I work with a team but most of my work is done independently as my duties are specific to me and my co-workers have their individuals tasks as well. My work is very cyclical. Invoices are sent in by the 10th of each month and are processed in that order. Because I have been doing this job for more than 2 year I am able to manage my time so that the invoices for 30 providers are process within 30 days.
There has been a lot in terms of the courts and what it entails daily. The people I think most of the people I work with throughout the court really enjoy what they do. I really enjoy the people that I work with. I think we get along well even on bad days, not that its perfect but we can agree to disagree. We have potlucks and gatherings for special occasions.I the hardest part was learning that what seems to be the simple to solve would take sometime days to get completed because of processes.
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
Position to promote into are far and in between
Good benefits, limited movement
Director of Training and Special Projects (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 11, 2016
My job is a good mix of challenges and creativity. I am able to present new ideas for training opportunities and my supervisor is receptive to trying new things, within reason. The hardest part of my job is the fluctuating budget (you never know what the budget will be year to year) and limitations due to working in the public sector.
managing large case loads
Office of the Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 29, 2015
I enjoyed tackling the large case loads and completing the work. It always felt like an accomplishment to finish the tasks.
A very enjoyable workplace. It was a very interesting job. One would learn something new almost daily.
Criminal Justice Act Clerk/Budget Analyst (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 23, 2015
1. Very intense workload.
2. Learned a great deal of patience and listening.
3. Fantastic co-workers!
4. The job wasn't hard. It was a very busy department.
5. I enjoyed working with the co-workers and communicating with the clientele.
Pros
Great atmosphere!
A typical day at work
Legal Intern for District Judge Malachy E. Mannion (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAAugust 21, 2015
A typical day at the United States Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania involved conducting legal research and writing legal memos for the Judicial Clerks. If the Judge had a proceeding, such as a sentencing, plea arrangement, pretrial conference, or oral argument, I would attend. After the proceeding, all the legal interns that attended would gather in the Judge's chambers to ask questions and if no one had a question, the Judge would ask a thought provoking question.
Pros
free coffee, refrigerator stocked with water and soda. The Judge bought me lunch 5 times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States District Court. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4