United States District Court Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and fun place to work
Courtroom Deputy/Judicial Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, MSJune 27, 2016
During my typical workday, I am responsible for managing the district judge's caseload by calendaring, monitoring the filings of motions and other legal documents, setting dates for hearings, trials and conferences. I attend court sessions and conferences with the district judge, take notes, and draft orders. I also keep the district judge's staff informed of case progress. I maintain a cooperative working relationship with judicial officials and their staff. I make travel arrangements for the district judge.
Pros
The district judge is very easy to work with. The court has an excellent healthcare plan.
Great organization.
Appeals Clerk/Docket Clerk/Courtroom Specialist (Current Employee) –  Trenton, New JerseyJune 22, 2016
If you're a hard worker and give your best each day then you will be pleased with your success.

Also, being a federal employee you can relocate to another state and obtain employment.
Pros
Job is not close to residence
Cons
Retirement plan makes all your hard work and long hours worth it.
Constant Learning Environment
United States Probation Officer (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXMay 23, 2016
Everyday there something new going on that we need to be aware of or knowledgeable about. Our judges depend heavily on us and deadlines create the most stress day-to-day. My favorite part about my job is that everyone around me is educated and more than competent. Its a ton of responsibility, but we're doing good work.
Productive and hard working
FINANCIAL TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 5, 2016
My work flow is pretty steady. I work with a team but most of my work is done independently as my duties are specific to me and my co-workers have their individuals tasks as well. My work is very cyclical. Invoices are sent in by the 10th of each month and are processed in that order. Because I have been doing this job for more than 2 year I am able to manage my time so that the invoices for 30 providers are process within 30 days.
There has been a lot in terms of the courts and what it entails daily. The people I think most of the people I work with throughout the court really enjoy what they do. I really enjoy the people that I work with. I think we get along well even on bad days, not that its perfect but we can agree to disagree. We have potlucks and gatherings for special occasions.I the hardest part was learning that what seems to be the simple to solve would take sometime days to get completed because of processes.
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
Position to promote into are far and in between
Good benefits, limited movement
Director of Training and Special Projects (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 11, 2016
My job is a good mix of challenges and creativity. I am able to present new ideas for training opportunities and my supervisor is receptive to trying new things, within reason. The hardest part of my job is the fluctuating budget (you never know what the budget will be year to year) and limitations due to working in the public sector.
managing large case loads
Office of the Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 29, 2015
I enjoyed tackling the large case loads and completing the work. It always felt like an accomplishment to finish the tasks.
A very enjoyable workplace. It was a very interesting job. One would learn something new almost daily.
Criminal Justice Act Clerk/Budget Analyst (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 23, 2015
1. Very intense workload.
2. Learned a great deal of patience and listening.
3. Fantastic co-workers!
4. The job wasn't hard. It was a very busy department.
5. I enjoyed working with the co-workers and communicating with the clientele.
Pros
Great atmosphere!
A typical day at work
Legal Intern for District Judge Malachy E. Mannion (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAAugust 21, 2015
A typical day at the United States Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania involved conducting legal research and writing legal memos for the Judicial Clerks. If the Judge had a proceeding, such as a sentencing, plea arrangement, pretrial conference, or oral argument, I would attend. After the proceeding, all the legal interns that attended would gather in the Judge's chambers to ask questions and if no one had a question, the Judge would ask a thought provoking question.
Pros
free coffee, refrigerator stocked with water and soda. The Judge bought me lunch 5 times
Work didn't change.
Case Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMAugust 16, 2015
Day to day work was the same. It didn't change as the duties were repetitive. My job was writing computer scripts, so detailed work was necessary.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
bad management
Great opportunity to work with so many different people
Supervisory United States Probation Officer (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 13, 2015
Demanding, yet very rewarding experience. Provided with an opportunity to affect lives in a positive way. Truly loved it.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
High stress level
Daily Responsiblities
Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  New york NyJuly 21, 2015
File And Seperate Records By Chronological Order
Service the public and assist with finding accuarte records for cases
order Archived cases for public and or employees
package and box archived records for to return
Deliver Mail and records to Another location as a courier
Structured
Evidence Technician (Deputy Clerk) (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 17, 2015
Micro management
This is government job most people work because is hard to get rid of you if you don't do your job
Coming to work is the hardest part of the job
Vacation is the best part of the job
Pros
government job
Cons
government job
The best job I ever had
Legal Assistant to U.S. District Court Judge (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 14, 2015
I was with this judge from the time she was in the Second Department Appellate Division. She was the most professional, knowledgeable and hardest working judge I ever worked for. She was highly respected by the Bar and it was a pleasure and an honor to be her Assistant.

Unfortunately, my husband and I moved to CT and while I tried to live on LI during the week to continue my work, the commute was becoming more difficult and the cost of living on LI paying rent, gas, meals, etc. it was increasingly cost prohibitive. I decided to retire from this position with the hope of finding a job in CT. The economy was making it very difficult to find suitable employment.

The legal field is my passion, it is what I enjoy.
Cons
Having to leave
Lots of overtime; no respect for effort
Pro se staff attorney (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 11, 2015
Let go after 14 years with the federal judiciary in order to make room for better-connected employees. The supervisor is fairly new to the position and cut benefits.
Pros
good salary
Cons
no respect of employees
Great place to grow
Judicial Assistant for Hon. Stephen C. Robinson (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYFebruary 9, 2015
Assist the judge with his personal and court daily calendar. I learned how the judicial system works and how law is applied. Management was always available. Co-workers were like family. The hardest part of the job was seeing the judge agonize over sentencing. Most enjoyable part of the job is seeing justice served correctly.
Pros
great place to grow and learn
I absolutely loved my job at the Western District of Texas
Pro Se Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 14, 2015
My Pro Se Law Clerk Job was a dream. Not only did I enjoy the content of my job, the work environment, all due to the people of the court, was phenomenal. Personable, caring, intelligent, funny, and professionally supportive. My husband deployed during my tenure and the staff and Judges were most supportive and understanding. Also, everyone worked extremely well together. A wonderful court to work for.
extensive legal analysis, research and writing
Career attorney for Judge James T. Trimble, Jr (Current Employee) –  Lake Charles, LANovember 6, 2014
Manage Judge's caseload, write opinions and rulings, communicate with attorneys and judges and discuss facts, the law and its application. Set hearings and attend trials. Give Judge counsel as to rulings and orders. I enjoy assisting attorneys with their cases and communicating with them with respect to their areas of concern or need for guidance in the federal judiciary. I am very proficient at reading, writing, analysis and oral communication skills.
Pros
professional atmosphere, good benefits and a great boss
Cons
must have a vast amount of knowledge, about numerous areas of litigation, as opposed to a specialized area.
Friendly environment
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 12, 2014
The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help people. I am personable and get along extremely well with my coworkers.
Pros
great benefits
United States District Court
FINANCE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYOctober 6, 2014
As a clerk in the finance division of a federal court, I handled criminal cases to track and receive payments for fines and restitution. However, we were also the bill-paying arm of the court, which is a necessary task regardless of the entity. Some coworkers were fine, hardworking people. Others would not have been employable in the private sector.
Federal Government
DeputyClerk (held many positions) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 8, 2014
I spent the best years of my life there. I gave the government all that I could and it resulted in many positions I held during my tenure. I left due to new management that lacked the vision of his predecessor. It resulted in the reshuffling of many positions with employees not qualified getting positions of management. It went from a great place to work to a bad environment unless you sucked up to new management.
Pros
benefits and pay
Cons
security

4.4