United States Postal Service Employee Reviews

Found 8,985 reviews matching the search
Job was basically prodction work in a large factory setting
Distribution Clerk/ Acting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 10, 2017
I worked either 1st or 3rd shift for over 36 years. Enjoyed the various jobs throughout my career. I learned that the business was a process that included many phases to accomplish the primary goal- deliver mail quickly and accurately for the customer. I worked about half in workforce and half in management. My co-workers were very important to me and formed many great long term friendships along the way. The hardest part of the job was accomplishing the work on time. Many adjustments had to be made during a shift to accommodate the shifting volumes. The best part of the job was knowing that all the effort came together for a great outcome each day.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Sometimes long hours, night shifts and working weekends
Would not recommend
CCA- City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaFebruary 20, 2017
Love the actual job!

Hate what management is doing. Feel like I'm constantly being baby sat. They have GPS on all carriers. They tell me that the computer says it's possible so it needs to be done with in the allotted time. They must run these tests in FL, because when it snows or is icy it's impossible!

Tell me I MUST travel with in a 50 mile radius even tho I don't own a vehicle. "It's my problem and if I'm not there I don't have a job" I did put in my application that I am not willing to travel.

Do NOT receive benifits, only Anual leave. 1 hr for every 20 hours worked.

Almost impossible to become a career employee.

Not guaranteed any hours, IF you are scheduled to work and you show up they must pay you for 2 hours min.

Wouldn't recommend, looking to get out ASAP.
Pros
The job in itself is great
Do not come to fargo!!!
Mail Handler (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDMarch 16, 2017
I transferred from an excellent facility in Palatine, IL. Probably the worst mistake of my life. These people in Fargo, ND are firing people just because they are having a bad day. The management is horrible! There is NO culture here! People will make up gossip because they are so bored it's sad. Not just me but most employees that transfer out here. It might sound good but do not transfer here please. I wish someone told me. I got fired a week before my 90 day probation was up. I have been a MHA for a year in Palatine, IL before I transferred to Fargo. I got turned over in 6 weeks. But then I got fired. No write up or warning. I was forced to resign so I wouldn't get fired because once you are fired from USPS you can no longer work for them.
Pros
Fargo is a nice city
Cons
Everything about the post office
Tedious and Physically Taxing
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJanuary 26, 2017
A typical day is long and career employees stay only for the benefits as they are only compensated for the evaluation of their route. Management is often not trained and nepotism runs rampant. The hardest part of the job is doing your job efficiently and effectively while dealing with management who repeatedly set the carriers up for failure. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know the customers and realizing their achievements with them. Seeing them and their children grow and becoming part of their lives as you see them each day and become extended family (that is when you are a career employee with a regular route...which can take years even when there is no supervisor trying to undercut you).
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 16, 2016
Clock in, gather all my mail, case it in route sequence, pull it down, load mail and packages into the truck, head to route, and deliver all the mail. I learned how to interact with customers, case mail, do my job in a timely fashion, and not depend on others.

Management was there for question and support, to field phone calls, and make sure every route was covered. My co-workers were very diverse, mad for a great work environment.

There really was no hard part to the job, maybe the long hours during holiday seasons. All in all I loved everything about the job.
Pros
non constant supervision, benefits, pay, job security, union
Usps
Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 17, 2017
The USPS is a great place to work at if you are lucky enough to be placed at a good station. Cons, everyone is not considered a "career employee" in the beginning which means no benefits and it may take years before you do.

If you are lucky you will get placed in a "functionable" station that is run well organized. In house politics are sometimes bordering on the ridiculous.

You can have lots of work usually, but the stations look out for their "career employees" or whomever they like. One untrue report from your trainer and your are targeted, left out.

I was looking forward to working for the USPS with pride, but all my spirits have been smashed, and that is the prevailing environment they have created.
Pros
Plenty of work if they like you
Cons
Environment, toxic
A massive High School
Casual Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 30, 2016
Working for the post office is financially viable and you learn a lot about one of this country's largest infrastructures. There are many different crafts with their own unique set of challenges
Management for the most part leaves a lot to be desired. People who have degrees in business management or extensive work in management are not in supervisory positions. Some managers will play employees off of each other and blatantly target some employees.
Some coworkers have high school mentalities and gossip and try to make others look bad. Some are really nice and will help you. Some just stay to themselves.
The hardest part of the job is standing on the concrete floors the whole day and the dealing with the monotony of the task.
The most enjoyable part is the comradery you can gain with some people.
If you are a regular employee you are unionized almost untouchable. If you are not a regular employee you have no job security,
Pros
Salary and benefits.
Cons
Bad work culture of little unity amongst employees.
Great benefits and compensation
Postal Support Employee (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 18, 2017
Work at USPS was repetitive and challenging but the compensation and benefits were great. I learned how a piece of mail was handled from the time it left the customer to when it arrived at its destination. Management changed often and each manager was pleasant to work with and knowledgeable. The hardest part of the job was standing the entire shift which could be up to 12 hours during the busy season. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to listen to music while working and socializing with co-workers while completing tasks.
Pros
Able to join the union to add to job security.
Cons
Physically demanding, not a good job for older persons
Loved being outdoors
Rural Carrier (Former Employee) –  Brattleboro, VTMarch 1, 2017
A typical day at the post office would consist of sorting mail and packages for the route I was doing. Getting in your mail vehicle and delivering the right mail to the address. What I learned about this job is I like to work by myself. Management was great, never really bother you unless there was a problem. Workplace culture was good everyone got along great. The hardest part of this job was mud season. The dirt roads were terrible. Not to mention hard on your vehicle. I really loved this job for the fact that you set your own pace you knew what had to be done and you did it. Again I loved being outdoors.
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
No benifits because I was a sub
Work hard , make great lifelong friends!
Storekeeper (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLFebruary 14, 2017
This is a decent job, if you are interested in management step up as soon as possible before you befriend your co workers it's easier that way. After 15 years you get extra vacation and that is the best part!! You will make lifelong friends here, working side by side hour after hour day and night they become your people! Show up do your best and find a hobby outside of work and you will stay happy!
Pros
Decent benefits if you are career hire
Cons
Working long hours and holidays for a few years
Rural Associate Carrier
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Belle Plaine, IADecember 12, 2016
Typical day at work might consist of getting a call at crack of dawn telling you have to come in and deliver. You might get thrown on a route you never done before and get lost. For me personally, I loved the challenge. Being outdoor all the time and being able to do my own thing rather than having someone constantly looking over my shoulder. It's hard work and if you can't stand being in the vehicle all day or lifting heavy thing while in the nasty weather then this job isn't for you. Management could be horrible or super flexible for you depending on where you're located. It's all about where you are located, for example if you work in the big city then you will be expected to work easily overtime meanwhile out in the smaller town you might only be able to work one or two days a week.
Pros
On your own, good pay, flexible
Cons
non-career don't get much benefits
Postal Service is a great place to work. It is not just a job it is a career.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hazelwood, MOMarch 23, 2017
The postal service has a wide variety of positions. The hours can be long and one is often required to work mandatory overtime. The work can be physical, but with the help of automation it is not nearly as physical as it was when I first started in the 80's. The hardest part of my job was trying to keep the millennial generation engaged and motivated. The most enjoyable part of the job, was seeing a finish product at the end of the day. I've learned that everyone should be treated with dignity and respect no matter what their title is. A typical day for management at the post office requires one to wear many hats. There are daily deadlines that must be met. It required me to be proactive and organized in order to run an efficient unit. I truly enjoyed working for the postal service. I retired after 31 years, now I'm finding myself wanting to get back into the workforce, but as a craft employee.
Pros
career oriented, good benefits, wide variety of positions
Cons
inter-dependent on your coworker to complete your
Overworked and underpaid.
City Carrier Assistant (CCA) (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, NHFebruary 9, 2017
The Postal Service is always shorthanded. One reason is that it generally took 10 weeks to fill an entry level position through internal posting (30 days), external posting (30 days) and training (2-3 weeks). Most of the new hires would only last a few weeks before they left because of the pace, and the 10 weeks would start over again. Most of the overtime was delegated to the entry level workers because union rules allowed regulars to determine how much overtime they were willing to do, and because the entry level salary was much lower. When the Postal Service agreed with Amazon to deliver their packages on Sundays, my schedule was 7 days per week at over 60 hours.
A typical day was covering for a regular on their day off. Started by sorting all the mail for the route in delivery order, loading the mail into a truck, and delivering the mail, mostly on foot. Then return to the post office and handle any undeliverable mail.
I found the union/management culture to be inefficient and difficult to adapt to.
Pros
Lots of overtime.
Cons
Way too many hours.
Local tractor trailer operator
USPS TRACTOR TRAILER OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 17, 2017
Federal government job.. Good pay and federal benefits.. No weekends off... Great management who were truck drivers in the past... Lots of politics though.. Union shop.. Starting pay is 21.11 With raises every 6 months to top out pay at 28.00 Hr..
Pros
Great team to work with...Excellent Benefits
Cons
No Weekends off and very heavy freight on wheels..Rush Dispatch and time limits...
Only work here if you're desperate and are prepared to discontinue a life outside of work.
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  KansasJanuary 12, 2017
Management will hound you every day to come in on your days off and complain that you're working too slow regardless of how fast you are actually going. I would only take this job is you're desperate to get some income because you are treated as an expendable piece of garbage. You will get paid less do more work and worse benefits than the regulars and they will not supply you with winter gear to stay warm.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
terrible work life balance
Federal Government position with GREAT benefits
RURAL CARRIER ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Maineville, OHMarch 13, 2017
It is not as easy as most people think. The retention rate is less than 20%. Mail volume is depended on the office and the location. Our office is extremely heavy, but other neighboring cities are not as bad. The seasons can be brutal because you have to deliver the mail no matter what the costs are. Rain is not that bad and you get use to it, heat is okay if you stay hydrated, but being in the cold is the worst. Spending hours in -15 degree weather is not fun because your fingers have a hard time sorting through the mail for each box. The hours are also long. Typically most people in my office work about 10-12 hours each day and work through lunch.

The benefits are FANTASTIC! Health, vision, dental are included. Also after you retire you get a pension for the rest of your life. You also are eligible for a flexible spending account, which is an account that you set up that is tax free and you use the money for any health related issues so you don't have to spend your taxed net pay. You also have a Union that helps with your job security.
Pros
healthcare, pension, union, federal government
Cons
dealing with extreme climate (hot/cold), can have long hours.
a very diversified place where you become not just co-workers but family of different cultures
Mail Processor (Current Employee) –  Doral, FLDecember 30, 2016
Working at the post is a very physical and strenuous job. The pay and benefits are very good. Your day can consist of 8-12hrs per day 6/7 days per week. It's a job where you can move up into different levels of management. One of the best places to work as far as job security. This job consists of a lot of lifting, bending and pushing of heavy items.
Pros
great pay & benefits, oppportunity to move up in positions, union protected
Cons
extremely physical
Tight work schedule to complete tasks, great pay and benefits.
City Letter Carrier/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 23, 2017
Great pay and benefits, poor management, not so great schedules, horrible probation period demands, dangerous dogs on mail routes, temperature extremes, lots of spoiled union employees that think they don't make enough money!!! Really? Try making this fantastic wage without a college degree out in the real world!
Pros
Pay, benefits, job security.
Cons
Extreme temperatures, dangerous dogs on routes, poor management.
Horrible place to work long term
RCA (Current Employee) –  Neenah, WIOctober 17, 2016
If your are looking for advancement and benefits this is not the place to work. No training whatsoever on new routes. Management sucks and expect you to be perfect at a task you never been properly trained at doing. I know so people that have work for the post office for 10, 8, and even 5 years and are still part time employees with no benefits. Such a waste of time to work here if you're looking to grow with a company. Plus mail count is getting slow since the birth of emails. People seem to use let stamps and pay bills online. The post office is only a float because of Amazon. ... I hate working on Sundays.
Pros
Coworkers, pay
Cons
No benefits such as PTO, retirement, and holiday pay.
Good Place to Work
City Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCFebruary 20, 2017
Management does not have the knowledge to do their jobs. Employees working here generally have 10 years or more of experience and are very helpful. Starting out you will not have any days of for the first 90 days or until you make career and is expected to show up for work all 7 days of the week. Fortunately for my I made career before the even started Sunday delivery again.
Pros
Benefits/Compensation
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

United States Postal Service Reviews by Location