United States Postal Service
4,318 reviews

United States Postal Service Employer Reviews

exciting and fast pace job
Mail Carrier (Former Employee), Manitowoc, WIFebruary 24, 2015
a regular day was fast and a great learning experiencing. as long as you paid attention you would always know what and what not to do
good job
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee), Lorain, OHFebruary 24, 2015
it was a job that i enjoyed. walking outdoors delivering the mail and meeting the people, and of course great exercise too. The only thing that kind of sucks is how the scheduling is when you start out at the bottom. It is done day to day so it makes it difficult to schedule things like doctor's appointments sometimes. Overall though I would love to still be there, but I was told that my station did not have enough hours, work, or trucks so I resigned in order to apply for other stations. Working only one day a week, just wasn't keeping me afloat financially.
very steril work environment with emphasis on being faster. sometimes at the cost of being accurate.
City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee), North Bend, ORFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: good time off programs if you put in the hours.
Cons: bad insurance program for people just starting out, always on call
A great job for someone in early to mid twenties looking to make a carrier. At 37, I cant see myself putting in 30 years at the post office and being happy. I enjoy work that is a little more thought provoking and less by the book and dry as is this government job, however I see some of the younger folks really enjoy the simplicity and complacency of the same walk around the same block day after day.

I managed to lose 85 lbs. in nine months which I found as a plus but that has so far been the only real sense of accomplishment and joy I have received at the job.

As previously being a manager at a couple different organizations I found that my management style differs greatly from the post office, not that they're bad, just different than how I inspired my team to complete assignments.

All in all its an average job for those who don't like to invest to much of themselves into their work, a real "George Jetson" kind of place where you show up. do only what is asked, nothing more, nothing less, then go home. I found that hard to do because I try to help others so we can work as a team, but found myself being told that even helping clean up was not part of my trade skill definition so I needed to sit and wait for quitting doing nothing. rather than take work from the other staff. I didn't feel quite right about that so I waived my guaranteed time and just clocked out.
Interesting place to work
City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: steady work
Cons: forced overtime
co-workers are good and helpful in showing you the procedures, I feel it's a job for the young and healthy. Extreme weather conditions can be a deterrent.
Fast paced work environment, with demanding deadlines to meet.
Mail Processing Clerk (Current Employee), Bedford Park, ILFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: working overnight and receiving a shift premium.
Cons: not being a career employee and not having benefits, 401k etc.
Sometimes it's tough working six days per week with one non schedule/off day. Although the USPS pays a premium for working overnight, that could be a load as well.
Fantastic work place if willing to commit 100% of your life
Rural Carrier Assistant (Former Employee), Evergreen, COFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: management, working outside, enjoyable setting, coworkers, self reliance
Cons: short breaks, unstable hours, weather, no benefits, advancement via seniority only
As an Rural Carrier Assistant you perform all of the duties a regular carrier performs. These include sorting the mail, sorting packages, loading and unloading your own truck, and delivering the mail to various residential and business locations. Deliveries may include hazmat material.
At the location I worked for, my typical work week was 8 - 24 hours a week, with only 8 hours guaranteed week to week. By the time I left this position, I was working an average of 84 hours a week in the cold and snow. This would have been fine except my personal relationships, including with my wife, were being strained due to this rigorous work schedule. Which made the unstable hours the most difficult part of the job.
Aside from the work hours, the management really takes care of you as an employee. They are concerned about your health and safety, though they will push you hard.
The job can be fast paced but once you hit a rhythm it becomes second nature. Speaking of nature, being outside, in a rural setting, for the bulk of the day is a real treat.
Take the good with the bad
Postal Support Employee (Former Employee), Shreveport, LAFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: money is great.
Cons: hours are horrible
A typical day is long and dragged out for no reason other then because they can. The hardest part is working 60 days a week, 10 hour day. Mainly because i don't get to see my family.
enjoyable, and fun
mail handler (Former Employee), Jersey City, NJFebruary 22, 2015
The managers were very helpful,and the employess were kind. The hardest part of the job was lifting the large bags with magazines in them.
a days work
Mail Sorter (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 21, 2015
this was a good paying job I just hated that it was just a temp job my co-workers were nice something like family in the sort bit of time I was there.
If you thrive in a multicultural environment that is fast paced and production oriented with a lot of repetitive activity the USPS is for you!
Distribution Clerk (Former Employee), Columbia, SCFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: great salary and benefits
Cons: 30 minute lunch and mobility
Working at the Post Office is an exciting, fast paced, environment with a lot of repetitive activity. There are three different work shifts, I worked from 8or 10pm till 7 or 12pm. Overtime is big in civilian life! Rain, sleet or snow the mail must move. The hardest part of my job as a Distribution Clerk was memorizing over 1000 street names and box numbers,a 30 minute lunch break, and moving into an Administrative position. The most enjoyable part of my job was financial opportunities and leave time. Good luck, it's all what you make it.
Private work area
Post Master Relief (Former Employee), Demopolis, ALFebruary 21, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of constant customer service and communication. I learned how to manage paper work and operate different systems to assist customers with different packages being mailed out. Management was up to par. I didn't have many co-workers due to being the only person on duty during my shifts. The hardest part about this position was the driving to different offices when needed. Every office had its own st up so you had to adapt to different offices by the week. The most enjoyable part was being in office alone and having my own work area.
Very Accommodating
Postmaster Relief/Postal Support Employee (Former Employee), East Burke, VTFebruary 21, 2015
Cared for a wheel-chair bound pre-teen girl (with minimal speech, and could barely move on her own) after school until parents got home from work, fed, changed, and in bed. Also took care of her over weekends that her parents took trips.
Fast pace
RCA (Current Employee), Sugar Land, TXFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: work alone, set your own pace
Cons: working in the elements takes a toll on your body
You have to be a very organized person to work here or you would be very confused and lost. This job requires you to be on your feet the entire time and you are also working in all the elements.
Ok place to work for
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYFebruary 20, 2015
Working for the USPS was a great experience. When you first start you work seven days a week. No days off for a while. You have to deliver the mail in any weather condition. Its a great job if you want to be active all the time.
wow
Mail Processing Clerk (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: fast paced sometimes
Cons: horrible management and treats their employees like kids
You will have to work there to understand how its policies work and to be there to witness how the partiality is shown amongst their CAREER employees versus their PSE employees is just ludicrous
Good Benefits and Financial Security
LSM Operator (Former Employee), West Sacramento,CAFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: at times, the hours.
A place where you financial needs are met. A wonderful place to work. Great opportunity for advancement. Great benefits. Diversity. You will get the opportunity to get to know others individual from every walk of life.
Lots of walking involved
Letter Carrier (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: lots of excersise
Cons: management not very friendly
You are constantly walking all day long on a set number of hours you have to complete your routes. Management were not very friendly.
Professional work environment
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee), Grayling, MIFebruary 19, 2015
Cons: none.
I worked with many people i had already known for several years so it was a very comfortable workplace. It was a great job.
Excellent place to have worked
Manager of Customer Service (Former Employee), West Palm Beach, FLFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: great pay. great advancement opportunities. co-workers are friendly and supportive.
Cons: long hours, sometimes night work.
The Postal Service was an excellent place to work. There are so many opportunities for people with all levels of experience and education. Advancement is encouraged. Hours are sometimes very long, but the pay is far above average.
Productive workplace serving the American public
Rural Route Carrier (Current Employee), Dallas, ORFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: driving rural roads
Cons: inclement weather
This is a substitute rural letter carrier position promising work most Saturdays. I am also asked to carry mail for any one of 5 rural routes when regular carriers are ill, on vacation, or experiencing vehicular breakdown. I carry mail for routes from 30-53 miles through rural Dallas, Oregon. Half the day is spent casing the day's mail, half driving through the country delivering mail and parcels. Co-workers are pleasant and responsible. Postmaster is supportive. It is challenging and difficult to deliver mail during inclement weather.

1 2 3 4 5