United States Postal Service

4.9K reviews

United States Postal Service Employee Reviews

Great Salaries and surrounded by great people
Supervisor-City Postal Carrier (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 1, 2015
very hard to get promoted inside the company/ only promoted twice in 10 years. I really loved going to work everyday, but opportunity to advance was slim
Overall fast paced work place.
PSE Mail Clerk (Former Employee), Asheville, NCJuly 31, 2015
Productive work place with two (2) fifteen minutes break and 0ne thirty minute break.

Get to experience working in various department with supportive supervisory team.
Fast pace and very productive
PSE Mail Processing Clerk (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INJuly 31, 2015
My work day starts at 10pm to 630am sorting mail at a steady pace. I enjoying with coworkers that are focused on finishing the job so we can get home. The most enjoyable is be able to mind my own business and get the work done.
Fast paced work
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee), Queen Creek, AZJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Self managed
Cons: Short breaks
Fast paced work with possible long days. Work in extreme weather conditions. Vehicles have no air conditioning. Sorting mail in delivery sequence for the assigned route, receives and signs for accountable mail, loads mail in vehicle,delivers mail to customers along a prescribed route and on a regular schedule by a vehicle.
nepotism and politics crawl amongst the masses
Sales & Service Distribution Associate (Current Employee), Chicago Suburbs, ILJuly 31, 2015
Pros: FEHB with employer contribution, TSP/FERS eligiblity. Overtime when available
Cons: Disorganization, unprofessionalism amongst front line management, bottom of the barrel morale.
the postal service was once a great place to work for, providing quality benefits with a living wage. As the years have gone on, management has deteriorated and has single handedly closed their minds to the big picture and instead focusing on one objective at all costs. Scheduling is poor at best, if at all completed per collective bargaining agreements or time frames set forth by upper postal management. Communication is virtually non-existent, and constant static and belittling by top management in installations to and amongst other members of management and craft. If you're a single person, no kids, and really no obligations, give this place a shot. Otherwise, if you're looking to make ends meet and are not desperate, I strongly advise you look elsewhere. The postal service will chew up and spit out any worker who shows signs of wisdom, intelligence, and integrity.
It was one of the worst jobs I've ever had.
CCA (Former Employee), Lancaster, paJuly 31, 2015
Pros: The pay was ok!!
Cons: U will NEVER get a lunch
I worked at the Lancaster annex for two months and just got sick of it. Everyday they tell you to get faster and when you do they send you back out to help someone else!! You don't know when you're going to be off. I was working 6 days a week and they planned on bringing me in on Sunday as well but I had enough. I've always worked by myself so I know about short lunches and breaks but I could never get caught up enough to enjoy a 30 min lunch. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from applying or taking the job but just be prepared. I can honestly say that most CCA's there hate it even the ones that have been there for 3-5 years( that's right u can be a cca that long!!!). I thought I was getting better at the job but day to day u just don't know where or what you're going to get!!!
Productive work place
Postal Support Employee Clerk (Current Employee), Atlanta NDCJuly 30, 2015
Pros: pretty good pay for the work
Cons: Some co-workers are messy and not everyone pulls there own weight, poor middle management
A typical day starts on tour 3 around 6pm. We have our safety talk and assignments for the day issued; this last about 30 minutes. I hit the floor running from 6:30pm -8pm; we then have our 15minute break then it's back to work until lunch at 10pm for 30 minutes. 10:30 pm arrives and we work get as much mail dispatched as possible until 1am break for 15minutes then back to work until clock out time at 2:30am.
Nice place to work if you do not have a family.
Postal Service Mail Carrier (Current Employee), Rockaway Park, NYJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Being out side for most of the day and not being secluded inside for eight hours of the day.
Cons: lot 0f work and you have to work in increment weather all year round.
Great company to work for but very little recognition for your work. it is a lot of physical work, excessive walking, lifting, bending, etc.
Stable work environment and consistent type of work load
Manager Customer Service (Former Employee), West Allis, WIJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Set hours
Cons: staying highly motivated
Process and distribute work load to meet time lines. Provide customer service in retail activities. Review previous day and weekly performance.
PSE Clerk (Former Employee), san bernardino, caJuly 30, 2015
....................................................................................................
its the goverment but a temp
Mail Clerk (Former Employee), Hartford, CTJuly 30, 2015
Pros: the money
Cons: paid very two weeks
long hours one day off a week very draining working at night on your feet the whole time no benefits worked like a dog permant wokers treat you like your nothing
Hard...physical work...on a daily/nightly basis
Clerk (Former Employee), Easton, MDJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Wages, union privelages, and retirement benefits
Cons: demanding physical work, working environment, inconsistency in management and scheduling
The USPS was a well paying job/career; however, it was not a good fit for me physically nor mentally. The pro's are you are compensated financially, since many jobs do not pay such high hourly rates. The benefits were mediocre, but there were several different plans that one could choose from. The TSP/401K option was a great one. During my time I had several managers, supervisors, and Postmasters. Schedules were constantly changed with each switch of management, and one would have to go from drastic hour changes. The work/work conditions weren't the best. At the main Post Office they were a bit better, but mail/packages that I handled on a daily basis were extremely dusty/dirty. Over time my sinuses got worse, and I developed asthma. Its a lot of physical lifting, pulling machinery, walking, and standing. At the processing plant the conditions were worse. There was mold in the walls, dirtier, and dustier. You have to do more manual labor, and the lifting is more extreme then at the main office. Many people who'd been with the company for years had medical health issues mostly pertaining to their body. For me personally, my sinusitis was worse and I kept regular infections. Asthma attacks regularly as well. I developed carpal tunnel in both hands, and the one existing condition was worsened. All and all the USPS was a great company, just not the right fit for me. I decided to leave to go back into the medical field, and for health reasons.
Very busy place, needed more help
Customer Service (Former Employee), Osseo, MNJuly 30, 2015
co workers were the best, but management could of been better. Started out day getting mail to the carriers. Then would open the doors to the customers. Hardest part of the job was being on my feet most of the day. The most enjoyable was the customers.
Drama filled with no advancement opportunities for my 5 years
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee), Rockford, MIJuly 30, 2015
Pros: salary
Cons: drama filled workplace, no advancement opportunities, no benefits for RCA's
The pay was excellent, other than that it was a horrible workplace. There was a lot of drama and managers would be the worst ones! If it wasn't for the pay I would have left the first week! Also, they mislead me about the advancement opportunities available. There were none!
production well organized
Clerk (Former Employee), salt lake city, utahJuly 30, 2015
Pros: no such free break but i had enough time for my break time
Cons: its was great industry
working with a large group of people from all over the world performing our jobs together. sorting mail and forwarding proper mail and i have been called for as interpreter any proper forwarding mail.
Postal worker
US Mail Carrier (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Excessive long hours
Interacting with different people on daily basis. Completing route in a timely manner. Learning the different classes of mail. Ensuring delivery of mail in all types of in climate weather
No longer hiring full time employees to save money
Mail Processing Clerk (Current Employee), Redding, CAJuly 29, 2015
Pros: Decent pay
Cons: Unstable work enviroment
The only good thing about USPS is the decent pay. The work is mindless and repetitive. Unbeknownst to me I was hired on as a Postal Support Employee, whose hours are not guaranteed. I am also laid off for a week every year so I'm technically not full time and therefore not eligible for Postal Union backing. The full time employees and their union are not required to do anything except show up so I'm only employed because of other people's laziness, a point I'm reminded of constantly if I ask any of them for help with a task. I also have no benefits and no sick time. Not to mention apathetic and incompetent managers and constant threat of being laid off, being fired or being made full time to "motivate" you makes this one of the worst places I've ever worked. Avoid USPS like the plague, anyone who thinks that USPS is a good job is right if they were hired a decade ago.
United States Postal Service
Mail Handler Assistant (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 29, 2015
When I first started working at the United Postal Service I was a Mail Handler Asst. After6 moths on being in that position I quickly moved up to supervisor.
Working with others
Receiving Clerk Foreign Air Mail (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 29, 2015
Being able to work with others doing business is great. I love to make others smile when off loading trucks. I have been able to put my business skills to work while working with others.
Productive and fast paced environment to work.
RURAL CARRIER ASSOCIATE/RCA (Current Employee), Laurinburg, NCJuly 28, 2015
Pros: It's almost as if you work for yourself.
Cons: So many years of waiting to finally get a career position with benefits.
A typical day of work consists of casing flats and letters to appropriate addresses on case. Sorting parcels to correct customers as well as accountable mail. Deliver mail and parcels on specific mail route. Management do the best they can with all the hectic changes and decisions of upper management. Co-workers are busy getting their own routes together, but do socialize in free time. The hardest part of my job is working in the heat in the summer time and the most enjoyable part of my job is bringing great service to my customers.
Industry