United States Postal Service

United States Postal Service Employee Reviews

What people are saying about United States Postal Service

• Sorting mail
  • The Postal Service is a dying business
  • The postal service is not for everyone
  • I enjoyed working at The Postal Service
Found 5,591 reviews matching the search
Good holiday job
PSE MAIL PROCESSING CLERK (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAFebruary 6, 2016
The work is hard but it pays well.
Not for the "entitled" mindset.
A fun job for a sorting geeks but not for those with OCD tendencies
re: co-workers, diversity is cool and being flexible to deal with different personality types is a must.
Your values and patience will be tested so it's important to keep a balanced and cool head.
Good shoes, insoles, and pain killers could be essential to survive the physical demands of the work.
Not for French-style eaters--Only 15-minute rest breaks and a 30-minute lunch break.
Definitely not for lazy people. You stand continuously for hours, carry/push packages/equipment heavier than you. You think all the time--misreading a zip code can create a lot of damage for the customer.
ok
CCA (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 5, 2016
wouldnt recommend this job for a person with children, you work all day and have no days off, its a hassle and very stressful.
Fast paced
Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  Muskegon, MIFebruary 5, 2016
Most of the job you work alone out on the streets of the city. Time flies as you deliver to households, businesses, and apartment complexes. Walking and driving in all weather conditions including thunder storms, winter blizzards, and any weather Michigan can brew up.

Good compensation and overtime hours weekly make this job great for those seeking employment with entry level requirements.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Very Physical, Senority Based Promotion
Long hours, Poor Management
Casual Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 5, 2016
Worked as a Casual Holiday worker. Very Physical , Long hours and night work.
USPS is unfortunately a large company with a problem of ineffiency
and a culture that feels very impersonal. Most notably the huge disparity between workers and supervisors.(Too many chiefs not enough Indians) Way to many supervisors, many who stand around watching not a lot of good examples. There are the good examples that make it worth it.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
night work, poor effiency, poor use of labor available
Busy Environment
Letter Carrier, Regional Plant Employee (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WA 99218February 4, 2016
A good place to gain skills. There is lots of physical labor involved in this job. It's a good way to learn about city planning.
Very demanding physically & very stressful with little appreciation from management.
CITY CARRIER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAFebruary 4, 2016
Typical day is casing/organizing all mailings from standard, first class, magazines, etc. then loading them in the LLV (vehicle) according to route. You can have packages bigger and heavier than you. There can also be apartment mailboxes that are rusted and difficult to open/close which takes time and effort which counts against you at the end of the day because you didn't finish your delivery to their expectation. They don't care if you're sick, you are expected to work regardless. Management is ruthless and work you like a workhorse! They don't care because you are only temporary until your 3-month probation (that is, if you can put up with management put-downs). Many probationers quit within the first week. I lasted a little longer. I don't know which is harder: the physical aspect of the job or putting up with management who couldn't care less about you.
All in all, I actually enjoyed my OJT who I shadowed and showed me the ropes in how to efficiently deliver the mail and organize the packages. I also enjoyed meeting people on my route who shows appreciation of your work, unlike management.
The City Carrier Assistant position is a very honorable job, i just wish I was placed at a better office with better management.
Pros
You're independently working and active.
Cons
You can't break because you have to meet the time you're expected to finish your route.
Mail Carrier
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAFebruary 4, 2016
Pick up packages from dock, Load Van, start route, scan packsages deliver express packages first, and the finish regular routes
Fast paced and hard working environment.
Postal Clerk (Former Employee) –  Clifton Heights, PAFebruary 3, 2016
Worked at a permanent flexible employee. This required many consecutive days of various shifts as needed. Start time most days was 3 am. Guaranteed 4 hrs work but you could also be required to work 8 to 10 hrs. This depended on the season, absentees and work load.
Pros
The salary and benefits for the most part made it worthwhile
Cons
Waited 8 years and never became a regular employee with a normal 40 hour work week.
Can be very stressful
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Garden City, MIFebruary 3, 2016
As new employee starting with the Post Office the job can be very stressful. As a new employee if another employee calls in sick all of the work is distributed the newer employees.
Treat employees wrong
Mail Handler (Current Employee) –  Gary, INFebruary 3, 2016
Management really don't care about employees. everyone is set in their ways and it is hard to be a new employee coming in the door. I do not like working for the United States Postal Service
Promotion potential based on seniority, not work ethic or ability.
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Wooster, OHFebruary 3, 2016
A good place to work provided you can obtain career status, (full time). In my case I am 5th on the seniority depth chart, with no one above me anywhere near retirement age.
Pros
1st shift hours.
Cons
Limited benefits for non career status.
its a great place !
CITY CARRIER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Hialeah, FLFebruary 3, 2016
Great place to work at it has great benefits and it helps you grow within because you get to have a stable schedule and the pay is amazing.
it sucked so bad
UPS (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJFebruary 2, 2016
they had you stay on metal platforms and push heavy bins weighing over a ton.when it rains or snow you slip you heels hurt so bad just from walking on the metal alone. the parking lot far if you missed the shuttle it was 20-30 mins for another one to get to you not including the 5 min drive to the building and the booth you have to walk in to just to go back outside and walk across the yard to get in the building if you walked from the parking lot it was a 20 min walk.
Pros
some employees were nice
Cons
far parking, standing on mettle whole shift
Hardworking
Postal Letter Carrier/Mail Handler (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 2, 2016
Every day is different, You always know you begin tour but you never know your end tour. I learned how to work with different people from different backgrounds, different personalities. I learned how to become a team player. Management does their job. Hardest part of the job is you can never plan nothing because you don't know what time you will be off. Its hard to get things done in the evening because everything is closed. The weather conditions has always been a challenge, rain, sleet, snow, ice, heat. Most enjoyable is I can get along with people very well and I can adapt to my situations.
Pros
good money, seeing different people everyday
Cons
short lunch breaks, micromanagement, never know what each day will be like nor the circumstances
Nice people, yet some can't handle the stress the job can endure.
Route Carrier (Current Employee) –  Brookville, PAFebruary 2, 2016
Fast paced, but I like that. No time to get bored or have your mind wander.

Management could be more strick to those who fall behind or goof off.

Co-workers are as any where else you work, you have those who do an awesome job and some who take advantage. I keep to myself and do my job.

Hardest part of the job is driving in bad weather conditions, still have to do it, no matter what.

Most enjoyable is being on my own to accomplish what is required of me.
Not worth it
City Carrier Assistant (CCA) (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 2, 2016
Dont waste your time here. Management is terrible and wants 12 hours of works done in 8 hours just to send you to other stations to do theirs aswell. Unless you have a relative or spouse working here you will be railroaded and treated terrible.
Fairly Easy Job
Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Capitol Heights, MDFebruary 1, 2016
During your first week it will seem hard but after some time you will notice its Fairly easy. A job Task can be loading or unloading Trucks scanning mail.
A productive environment
Mail Handler (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJFebruary 1, 2016
A typical day at work for me is to get my assignment for the day and proceed with my job. I work very well with other people so my co-workers are very fond of me. There is really nothing hard to do at the my job. It's basic common sense and following directions. The most enjoyable part is getting to learn different job functions and meeting new people.
Pros
Large cafeteria
Cons
Short breaks
Productive work place with nice co - workers
PSE Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOFebruary 1, 2016
Typical day at work consist of answering inbound phone calls from patients and sending messages to the doctors, Schedule appointments and assist patient with any other inquires.
protoctive and alright place to work.
Casual Mail Handler (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 1, 2016
It was a good experience to get to know how our mail is handle and process on a daily bases to make sure we get the mail on time at our houses, facilities, companies, etc.