United States Postal Service
4,335 reviews

United States Postal Service Employer Reviews

Great workplace
Mail Carrier (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCMarch 1, 2015
Great work place for anyone love the people and of course the pay would recommend to anyone that has the will and determination.
fun workplace
Postal Support Employee Mail Processing Clerk (Former Employee), Bell, CAMarch 1, 2015
Pros: cool co workers
Cons: ok management
a typical day at work is constant work with little time for breaks and rest but when your paid you see the outcome so its an ok workplace
Job Security but poor Work/life balance
Manager - Customer Service (Current Employee), Olathe, KSMarch 1, 2015
Pros: job security
Cons: little time with family
I worked 18 years for the USPS and enjoyed most of it but once you get higher in Management and on a salary, you must expect 12 to 14 hour days plus weekends.
Long Days Plenty of overtime
Letter Carrier (Current Employee), Chelsea MaFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: no one hovering over you
Cons: strict times alot of work
Usually a day starts at 730 am and ends at about 530 the hours are long the best people you work with amongst are the carriers management can be difficult at times but that's typical in any job the hardest thing about my job is the non consistency in routes that new employees work the best overall is the knowing that once a carrier is out in the street nobody bothers you
Delivered mail
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee), Fair Lawn, NJFebruary 27, 2015
Delivered mail to homes and business's. The hardest part was adapting to the physical aspect of the job. Overall I liked the staff and mangement.
A fulling life time job
Manager Safety & Health (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDFebruary 27, 2015
I was a member of the district upper management staff for the regional office. My typical day was managing the safety programs for the 400 district offices. The hardest part of the job was designing programs to prevent accident and injuries. The most enjoyable part of the job was that the accidents and injuries were always reduced
Maintenance mechanic (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 26, 2015
Really enjoy working in this kind of environment. Great people to work for.. If you see you can do the job better and cheaper the boss will listen and make the decision of your way or his.. many time the said just get it done.
Perfect for people who love working outdoors
CITY CARRIER ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 26, 2015
A typical day at the post office is very busy. The goal is to deliver every piece of mail that comes in every morning that day. My station was large with about 50 routes and my coworkers were very pleasant and helping. They wee always there to help if needed and training was quick and effective. .The hardest part about working at the post office is when the weather changes in the winter time, working in the snow is very challenging.
I would not recommend the USPS.
Clerk (Current Employee), AshevilleFebruary 26, 2015
I would not recommend working at the USPS. My co-workers are the best people I have ever worked with. The politics in the USPS only hurt the employees. We are told one thing and show another. The supervisors are so micro-managed that they can not even make a decision on their own.
It is a job that you must find yourself
Group Leader, Data Conversion Operator (Former Employee), Kearny NJFebruary 26, 2015
Productive workplace in a drone setting, you learned how to deal with the sub culture part of life and the meaning of how to be humble.
Nice, quiet place to work
Data Conversion Operator (Former Employee), Abilene, TXFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: work in your own cubicle
Cons: nothing bad about it
I sat behind a computer processing US mail. I keyed zip codes or just the city and state. Sometimes we processed return mail. We worked for 50 minutes and took anywhere from a 5-10 minute break.
Intense work environment
Data Conversion Operator (Former Employee), Glendale, AZFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: breaks every hour
Cons: short lunch break
Data Conversion Operators were responsible for routing mail using an image loaded onto a computer screen. Each operator had their own cubby hole and computer monitor. There were certain codes that were taught in order to route the mail to the correct destination. It was mandated that a certain amount of images must be keyed in and routed at a 98% or above accuracy.
Productive and well paying
Mail Clerk/Mail Handler (Former Employee), Springfield, MAFebruary 25, 2015
A typical day at the postal service I would clock in and wait for the mail that could not be sorted by the machines. I learned a sense of responsibility, organization and team work. I didn't get the see my manager much but she was firm and great at managing her workers. My co-workers were all friendly, hard working, great at team work, and selfless. I found that the moving of crates full of mail was the hardest part of this job. Speaking for myself I enjoyed the work all around as well as my co-works the most.
Great job
Casual MailHandler (Former Employee), Manchester, NHFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: wages, break-times
Good job, management always is helpful. I worked with excellent co-workers who were built for the job both physically and mentally. The hardest part of the job was having too much free time waiting for orders and shipments to arrive, I enjoyed every aspect of the job and loved the hours.
Good working environment
Data Conversion Operator (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NCFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: short hours
Cons: they closed the plant down.
I usually typed on a computer all day.
I learned that not many people have good hand writing.
Management was good to us.
Good co-workers, enjoyed their little cliques.
Hardest part of job was waiting for new mail to come in.
Most enjoyable part was typing in the large envelope section.
Fast paced outdoor position
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee), Mechanicsville, VAFebruary 25, 2015
Working for the post office was enjoyable, but stressful at times. I had a good relationship with other carriers and management, and remain friends with them to this day.
exciting and fast pace job
Mail Carrier (Former Employee), Manitowoc, WIFebruary 24, 2015
a regular day was fast and a great learning experiencing. as long as you paid attention you would always know what and what not to do
good job
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee), Lorain, OHFebruary 24, 2015
it was a job that i enjoyed. walking outdoors delivering the mail and meeting the people, and of course great exercise too. The only thing that kind of sucks is how the scheduling is when you start out at the bottom. It is done day to day so it makes it difficult to schedule things like doctor's appointments sometimes. Overall though I would love to still be there, but I was told that my station did not have enough hours, work, or trucks so I resigned in order to apply for other stations. Working only one day a week, just wasn't keeping me afloat financially.
Archiach culture
Rural Carrier Assistant (Current Employee), Platteville, COFebruary 23, 2015
Takes a year+ to get on permanently, if another with seniority doesn't take your place.

Poor management training, most rose from the ranks w/o prior management experience or training.
very steril work environment with emphasis on being faster. sometimes at the cost of being accurate.
City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee), North Bend, ORFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: good time off programs if you put in the hours.
Cons: bad insurance program for people just starting out, always on call
A great job for someone in early to mid twenties looking to make a carrier. At 37, I cant see myself putting in 30 years at the post office and being happy. I enjoy work that is a little more thought provoking and less by the book and dry as is this government job, however I see some of the younger folks really enjoy the simplicity and complacency of the same walk around the same block day after day.

I managed to lose 85 lbs. in nine months which I found as a plus but that has so far been the only real sense of accomplishment and joy I have received at the job.

As previously being a manager at a couple different organizations I found that my management style differs greatly from the post office, not that they're bad, just different than how I inspired my team to complete assignments.

All in all its an average job for those who don't like to invest to much of themselves into their work, a real "George Jetson" kind of place where you show up. do only what is asked, nothing more, nothing less, then go home. I found that hard to do because I try to help others so we can work as a team, but found myself being told that even helping clean up was not part of my trade skill definition so I needed to sit and wait for quitting doing nothing. rather than take work from the other staff. I didn't feel quite right about that so I waived my guaranteed time and just clocked out.

1 2 3 4 5