United States Postal Service

United States Postal Service Employee Reviews

Found 8,963 reviews matching the search
Job was basically prodction work in a large factory setting
Distribution Clerk/ Acting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 10, 2017
I worked either 1st or 3rd shift for over 36 years. Enjoyed the various jobs throughout my career. I learned that the business was a process that included many phases to accomplish the primary goal- deliver mail quickly and accurately for the customer. I worked about half in workforce and half in management. My co-workers were very important to me and formed many great long term friendships along the way. The hardest part of the job was accomplishing the work on time. Many adjustments had to be made during a shift to accommodate the shifting volumes. The best part of the job was knowing that all the effort came together for a great outcome each day.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Sometimes long hours, night shifts and working weekends
Would not recommend
CCA- City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaFebruary 20, 2017
Love the actual job!

Hate what management is doing. Feel like I'm constantly being baby sat. They have GPS on all carriers. They tell me that the computer says it's possible so it needs to be done with in the allotted time. They must run these tests in FL, because when it snows or is icy it's impossible!

Tell me I MUST travel with in a 50 mile radius even tho I don't own a vehicle. "It's my problem and if I'm not there I don't have a job" I did put in my application that I am not willing to travel.

Do NOT receive benifits, only Anual leave. 1 hr for every 20 hours worked.

Almost impossible to become a career employee.

Not guaranteed any hours, IF you are scheduled to work and you show up they must pay you for 2 hours min.

Wouldn't recommend, looking to get out ASAP.
Pros
The job in itself is great
Tedious and Physically Taxing
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJanuary 26, 2017
A typical day is long and career employees stay only for the benefits as they are only compensated for the evaluation of their route. Management is often not trained and nepotism runs rampant. The hardest part of the job is doing your job efficiently and effectively while dealing with management who repeatedly set the carriers up for failure. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know the customers and realizing their achievements with them. Seeing them and their children grow and becoming part of their lives as you see them each day and become extended family (that is when you are a career employee with a regular route...which can take years even when there is no supervisor trying to undercut you).
Great benefits and compensation
Postal Support Employee (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 18, 2017
Work at USPS was repetitive and challenging but the compensation and benefits were great. I learned how a piece of mail was handled from the time it left the customer to when it arrived at its destination. Management changed often and each manager was pleasant to work with and knowledgeable. The hardest part of the job was standing the entire shift which could be up to 12 hours during the busy season. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to listen to music while working and socializing with co-workers while completing tasks.
Pros
Able to join the union to add to job security.
Cons
Physically demanding, not a good job for older persons
Usps
Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 17, 2017
The USPS is a great place to work at if you are lucky enough to be placed at a good station. Cons, everyone is not considered a "career employee" in the beginning which means no benefits and it may take years before you do.

If you are lucky you will get placed in a "functionable" station that is run well organized. In house politics are sometimes bordering on the ridiculous.

You can have lots of work usually, but the stations look out for their "career employees" or whomever they like. One untrue report from your trainer and your are targeted, left out.

I was looking forward to working for the USPS with pride, but all my spirits have been smashed, and that is the prevailing environment they have created.
Pros
Plenty of work if they like you
Cons
Environment, toxic
Rural Associate Carrier
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Belle Plaine, IADecember 12, 2016
Typical day at work might consist of getting a call at crack of dawn telling you have to come in and deliver. You might get thrown on a route you never done before and get lost. For me personally, I loved the challenge. Being outdoor all the time and being able to do my own thing rather than having someone constantly looking over my shoulder. It's hard work and if you can't stand being in the vehicle all day or lifting heavy thing while in the nasty weather then this job isn't for you. Management could be horrible or super flexible for you depending on where you're located. It's all about where you are located, for example if you work in the big city then you will be expected to work easily overtime meanwhile out in the smaller town you might only be able to work one or two days a week.
Pros
On your own, good pay, flexible
Cons
non-career don't get much benefits
did my job without any complaints from homeowner.did job correctly
Mail Carrier Rual (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIJanuary 30, 2017
time spent in office putting mail and parcels in order for delivery.loaded all mail for that day into mail truck.had short safty meeting often.. some of management was very hard with time when I got a new route that takes more time to memerize the case plus lifting the heavy trays of mail and parcels into carts then into postal truck,that was the hardest.the most enjoyable part of job was getting to go when job was done even if I got my work done in 5 hrs plus got paid for the 8 or 9 hrs a day for what my route was evaluated for.
Pros
salary, sick leave, annual leave with pay, evaluated timed route, if the work was done before the evatuated time, got paid for the route time
Cons
management was very stressfull when i started a new route
Could be a place to work for almost anyone.
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Malakoff, TXJanuary 30, 2017
This would be a really good place to work, if you are a full time employee. Great benefits for full time personnel only. If you are not a FT employee, such as a sub-mail carrier, no benefits. Regular carriers blame subs for all problems. But, supervisors are very intuitive and know most everything that goes on in the office. A lot of time spent delivering mail. I find the customers are wonderful! Most do not complain if you are sometimes late with mail. I loved that when I was delivering mail from my personal vehicle that it was almost like being my own boss. I really would have liked to have continued to work with the postal service. I was hurt on the job and was unable to return to work with the USPS. I believe this could be a great place to work. I spent over 12 years at one location as a sub. No advancement through the entire time I was there. Regular carriers do not leave their positions very often.
Loved being outdoors
Rural Carrier (Former Employee) –  Brattleboro, VTMarch 1, 2017
A typical day at the post office would consist of sorting mail and packages for the route I was doing. Getting in your mail vehicle and delivering the right mail to the address. What I learned about this job is I like to work by myself. Management was great, never really bother you unless there was a problem. Workplace culture was good everyone got along great. The hardest part of this job was mud season. The dirt roads were terrible. Not to mention hard on your vehicle. I really loved this job for the fact that you set your own pace you knew what had to be done and you did it. Again I loved being outdoors.
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
No benifits because I was a sub
Good paying job but more difficult than you'd expect.
Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 3, 2017
Well for starters after a month of working in an office I got relocated just as I was getting used to things so that was lovely. Letter carriers get crapped on and they don't get enough credit for the difficulty of their job. Management doesn't care how new you are or where you're assigned to deliver the mail they have unrealistic expectations for you even though they need help constantly. The truth is they need you more than you need them and they constantly push you. You can only move so fast while delivering in the streets especially when you take into account all the stairs you have to climb and the insane dogs that you encounter that get loose because the owners are senseless. Yes if all you care about is money maybe this job is for you however once you get in don't think you'll be a happy camper lol.
Pros
Good Pay Lots of Benefits
Cons
No life outside of work, you're constantly scheduled to work.
Great pay and long-term benefits but weak management team
Postal Support Employee (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 20, 2017
The PSE entry level position is extremely physically demanding and usually averages 50 hours/week. During holiday season, the hours are even greater with two weeks working seven days/week. The job is highly physical and you are floated from one station to another in support of the seasoned (more experienced) craft employees. In terms of the management team, I was not impressed at all because assessments did not reflect actual performance results. Also, there could be a more positive spirit driven down by Management team but there isn't. For new PSEs, there should be training beyond the two-day orientation.
Pros
Pay, long-term benefits
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 16, 2016
Clock in, gather all my mail, case it in route sequence, pull it down, load mail and packages into the truck, head to route, and deliver all the mail. I learned how to interact with customers, case mail, do my job in a timely fashion, and not depend on others.

Management was there for question and support, to field phone calls, and make sure every route was covered. My co-workers were very diverse, mad for a great work environment.

There really was no hard part to the job, maybe the long hours during holiday seasons. All in all I loved everything about the job.
Pros
non constant supervision, benefits, pay, job security, union
Cons
Working USPS has positive and negative attributes
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waynesboro, PADecember 27, 2016
USPS is a high stress, busy work environment. You are depended on to be accurate as well as quick while delivering mail and packages. It can be extremely stressful job because you have X amount of time to perform all of your duties. It is extremely difficult to advance in USPS. You would have to wait until another regular carrier retires before you can advance. It can literally takes years before you become regular and qualify for benefits which are better than other employment. On a positive note the USPS is a family and they help each other as needed. Also with walking up to 12-15 miles daily helps keep you in physical shape.
Pros
work together to achieve same goal
Cons
takes a long time to advance in career. Highly stressful environment.
A good job if you want to make more than minimum wage
Supervisor, Distribution Operations (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 6, 2017
The Postal Service will pay you more than minimum wage without a doubt. Unfortunately, they expect you to work that is outside of your scope and management will threaten your position if you do not comply. The employees are protected by a Union that is weak and floundering and would rather sit in their office getting paid to do nothing then to help the employees they've sworn to protect or do the job they were hired to do. Even the supervisors are treated poorly and not backed by management when a true issue arises.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Management destroys all moral of the employees and feels threatening their job is the best practice.
Overall description of Postal workforce
Clerk and Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 20, 2017
In my opinion, the work is very easy. No job is hard to learn. The benefits are great.The only bad thing is management. The post office hire friends and family for management which leads to poor leadership with no skills to perform the necessary responsibilities of running a company. This is what has ruined its potential to be a great company and has caused its competitor's to be better than them. I believe Illinois is one of the main states that do this so as long as you work in another state other than Illinois, the postal service is an excellent choice of work.I loved the work and loved the benefits. It has 3 tours which is also excellent.Lots of overtime as well for those who want it.
Good work environment
Rural Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Holmen, WIJanuary 10, 2017
We had a good office to work in. Everyone worked well together and assisted each other as needed.Great relationship between labor and management. Great customers. Dealing with some winter weather situations was probably hardest part of job. Typical day began by sorting mail and parcels. Loading my work vehicle. Delivery and pick up of mail/parcels and all accountable(signature required)mail. Unload and finish end of day duties.Turn in all monies, keys, and forms from that day. Most enjoyable part of job was putting a smile on the customers face by a piece of mail or a package that I delivered or picked up.
Pros
good paying job, benefits, customer relations.
Cons
Weather could be an issue at certain times of year.
Productive place, fast paced, good physically demanding job
Package Handler (Current Employee) –  New Stanton, PAMarch 13, 2017
Ups is a great place to get a solid job with good benefits and pushes you to have a tough work ethic and to always be doing the best you can. I have learned how to manage myself properly both time wise and skills wise with what was taught to me. Management of the company is great and everything is run and kept over the way it needs to be. The work environment was good because they are always pushing safety and wellness. Hardest part of the job is the physicalness of the job but I enjoy the fast paced demand. Enjoy the satisfaction of good customer service and satisfaction.
Pros
Good Hours and Benefits
Cons
Short Breaks
Overworked and underpaid.
City Carrier Assistant (CCA) (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, NHFebruary 9, 2017
The Postal Service is always shorthanded. One reason is that it generally took 10 weeks to fill an entry level position through internal posting (30 days), external posting (30 days) and training (2-3 weeks). Most of the new hires would only last a few weeks before they left because of the pace, and the 10 weeks would start over again. Most of the overtime was delegated to the entry level workers because union rules allowed regulars to determine how much overtime they were willing to do, and because the entry level salary was much lower. When the Postal Service agreed with Amazon to deliver their packages on Sundays, my schedule was 7 days per week at over 60 hours.
A typical day was covering for a regular on their day off. Started by sorting all the mail for the route in delivery order, loading the mail into a truck, and delivering the mail, mostly on foot. Then return to the post office and handle any undeliverable mail.
I found the union/management culture to be inefficient and difficult to adapt to.
Pros
Lots of overtime.
Cons
Way too many hours.
Great money/hard labor/terrible management
City Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 18, 2017
Put your thermals on (Midwest carrier here), clock in, and get ready for many long days ahead. You start out with the company as a CCA (City Carrier Assistant) as a sort of "temp" job although you will be working six-sometimes seven days a week making good money. Started at $15 an hour and after 3 years made it up to $19. 50+ hours a week pretty is guaranteed. The main con with the company is management of course. Run by under-qualified losers with no regard to human sympathy who only care about their daily quota and covering their own behinds. Also a very physical job of course considering you will be walking (unless you have a mounted route) for around 7-8hours every day so you will lose weight and tone those legs as an added bonus. Overall, if you don't mind hard labor bringing home the solid dough, you won't mind bearing down and working your tail off.
Pros
Great hourly pay, benefits, builds communication skills
Cons
No free time, daily scoldings from mngmnt, unsafe
30 Years with the USPS.
Marketing Dept. Account Rep/Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 4, 2017
The Postal Service provided myself and my family a solid income, great benefits, and educational benefits.
I developed my skills as a manager and mentor in the Marketing Department. I was able to develop my skills and develop my employees to become confident in their positions.
I worked through the ranks from clerk to upper management. You had to be very thick skinned to suceed in that environment. At the point I became a manager there were very few women promoted to upper levels. An almost no women of color.
The benefits however were outstanding in many ways.
Pros
Education, great benifits, and a very good salary.
Cons
It was a very male oriented environment and often hostile.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

United States Postal Service Reviews by Location