United States Postal Service
4,800 reviews

United States Postal Service Employee Reviews

fun workplace and fun co-workers
City Carrier Associate (Former Employee), Texarkana, TXJuly 1, 2015
Pros: good pay
Cons: long hours and heat
great co-workers, some supervisors are great and some are not so great but that's anywhere you work. Only downside would be the long hours especially the day after a holiday.
Its a good job if u become permanent but i have been there for almost 4 years and have no benefits or paid holidays i want something steady not temp.
Mail Handler Assistant (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Lots of room to learn new things.
Cons: Waiting to become regular and having contract pushed back.
A regular day at work would be to come in set up my cages and equipment for my zones hat i would have to run.Smile greet everyone as i get ready to start zone runs collect cages and bmc for mail.Learn how to run the machine so if management is not available i can start runs without delay.Work at a fast but accurate pace so my co-workers will fall in line.The best part of the day is when we get all the mail out on time to our happy customers.
Don't even consider it!
CCA (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Work outdoors
Cons: Micro-managing supervisors, long hours, no day off, weather, dogs
As a CCA, you'll be expected to work 7 days a week, including Sundays and all holidays. You'll get the worst routes, because everything goes by seniority, expect to walk 12 or more miles a day.

The pay isn't bad, but you'll get no benefits. You'll work in all sorts of weather, and be expected to be as fast in sleet as you are in sunshine.

The union will hit you up for a membership right away, – more... they want your dues money, but what kind of union lets its members work endless days in a row, and for no benefits? Technically, you can buy expensive health care after a year, but until you're a regular, there are no benefits to speak of.

In training they'll tell you that 60% drop out in the first year, but my office hired over 90 CCAs in the past year, and only 4 were left when I got there.

The way they hold people is by promising to make them "regulars" (permanent employees), at which point you get benefits and no longer work more than 5 days a week unless you want to, but that can take years. How long can you work seven days a week waiting for that? – less
Productive workplace
Customer Care Agent (Former Employee), Edison, NJJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Free lunches, great pay, easy job
Cons: short breaks, uptight managment, drama, favortism
I honestly enjoyed working for USPS. The management was very uptight about certain things but I understood why. I really do
Fast paced environment
Supervisor Peter Greene (Current Employee), Pensacola, FLJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Fast paced, camaraderie amongst coworkers
Cons: working overnight
From the moment you're on the clock you are busy. We depend on every entity being on time. One late truck has the potential to delay the mail.
Customer service is key
Postal Carrier (Current Employee), Woodbury, MNJune 30, 2015
Pros: Outdoors, Overtime, Independant
Cons: Bad management, Upset Customers
I have learned- Time management, customer service, and be independent.
The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to be outdoors all day. I also enjoy getting to know the people who live on my route.
The hardest part of the job is driving in the snow.
challenging but rewarding
RCA - rural carrier assistant (Current Employee), Lakeland, FLJune 30, 2015
A normal day is very challenging and is not for everyone. The goal is to be perfect and make sure everyone gets their correct mail and packages. One needs to have a sense of energy and excellent organizational skills. As and RCA everyone helps out each other to get all mail out in time but it's always rewarding in the end when we know that everything is out.
Career as a CCA
City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee), Spencerport, NYJune 30, 2015
Pros: once on the street, nobody on my back
Cons: the cold, the rain, the dogs
I would be told to come in at 8:30 some days 9:30 other days, i would get the upcoming schedule on the wednesday before. I was called in to cover mail driers that were on vacation or called in sick or had too much mail to be delivered. My supervisor was a micro manager, but the Post Master was a terrific leader. She cared about her employees well being. My co workers were great! there was one or two employees that i could do without. The hardest part of the job is delivering mail on foot in the winter when customers don't shovel their driveways.
Hardwork
Christmas Postal Service Clerk (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJune 30, 2015
Pros: Willing to pay excessive overtime
Cons: Lack of communication, the format of weekly schedules
Although this was a temporary position, the USPS will make you earn every dime of money you make. This job was a nonstop position that had me working and moving every minute of my shift. The management teams really had a hard time with communication between employees and themselves. Some would even go as far as to talk down to or disrespect the employees. The job was fairly easy for me except working in automations with the letter mail.
Not the best place to work
Data Conversion Operator (Former Employee), Wichita, KS and Beaumont, TXJune 30, 2015
Pros: Mandated breaks every hour, plus 30-minute lunch break
Cons: Bad management
The position was stressful, 95% of management was awful and tended to have their "pets" who could get by with anything. My co-workers, for the most part, were very nice. It was a very large facility with rotating schedules so you tended to see pretty much the ones on the same schedule as you. The pay was great, but I sometimes felt guilty getting paid so much for data entry when there are so many who do hard manual labor and get paid so little. Overtime was only available if you signed up for extra hours when needed on a quarterly basis and during the Christmas season.
I just retired after over 39 years of Federal Service, i.e., USPS and USMC.
Postmaster, Lubbock, TX EAS-24 (Former Employee), Lubbock, TXJune 30, 2015
Pros: Excellent pay and benefits
Cons: Long hours, ever changing demands, goals, objectives.
Every day was different yet all days started about 4 AM and ended about 8 PM.
I learned how to work through people in a way to be most productive and meet the goals of the organization
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with ever changing objectives and goals.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with enthusiastic employees who sought out advancement. I enjoyed training, mentoring and developing new talent for the future of the organization.
Window clerk
Window Clerk (Current Employee), Toledo, OHJune 30, 2015
Pros: meeting new people
Enjoyed helping the costumers understand how shipping packages works. Getting to know new people is always nice. My manager is a pleasant person to work for. She always try to be helpful. My co-workers are team players.
Assembler/Supervisor
Career Carrier Assistant (Current Employee), Toledo, OHJune 30, 2015
Complied with OSHA safety regulations. Assembled bumpers for General Motors. Supervised 10-15 people. Have experience in Quality control and meeting on time shipments
Sucessful in your day
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee), Supply, NCJune 30, 2015
A typical day at work consist of handling customer issues,making the customer happy. I've learned that the customer is always right and you make the customer happy so that they return. Management is the backbone to a healty business and there knowledge rolls down to you the employ and inturn to the customer. My coworkers should have a safe, secure working enviroment to strive and work hard. These concepts make it a well rounded friendly atmosphere for all involved. The hardest part of the job is striving to make all aspects of the company suceed as a buisness. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you made the differences in the customers eye, knowing you did your best to suceed to meet all needs of everyone involved.
The hours, atmosphere, and pay
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee), Camden, NJJune 30, 2015
I would come in get my route, load my truck, and leave to route. Get to route, delivered mail, packages, and return to office. I learned how to drive a mail truck, work the scanner, and that particular job is not for me. Management has unrealistic expectations for new employees, they expect you to as good as the veteran employees by the end of the first week. I rarely interacted with my co-workers because its just you out there on the route. For me, the hardest part of the job was delivering packages and letter mail at the same time. The most enjoyable part for me was the paycheck. The hours varied and you worked six days a week including Sunday. On Sunday all you do is deliver packages to a particular route.
Productive workplace.
Mail Processor/Clerk (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJune 29, 2015
My experience working for the United States Postal Service was an enjoyable experience. I enjoyed interacting with my co-workers everyday. A great experience.
A day at the post office there was always something to do.
Laborer Custodial (Current Employee), Miami, FLJune 29, 2015
Pros: benefits
My position was to maintain the cleanliness of the facility inside and outside. I did most of work outside which consisted of picking up trash on a daily basis, trimming and cutting the lawn, trimming the bushes and trees. Sweeping some parts such as the loading dock, or blowing trash and leaves to be picked up. The management was okay, I spent most of my time away from them working. The coworkers I didn't interact with much because i spent most of time outside cleaning the most we did was greet each other.
Most Definitely a Great Work experience.
United States Postal Service (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJune 29, 2015
As A former worker Of United Postal Service, I most definitely had great work experience. From meeting new people, reaching the company goals were exciting.
Postal Customers
Letter Carrier (Former Employee), Rockaway, NJJune 29, 2015
Pros: Postal Customers
Cons: Time restraints
Started each day sorting letters and magazines to route order, in a timely fashion. Working with fellow Carriers and Clerks to solve our towns mail delivering became rewarding and satisfying.
The hardest part of the job was post holiday delivery, and Christmas season parcels delivery.
The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the Postal Customers. Getting to know then Families, Pets, and watching the children grow.
productive
PSE Mail Clerk (Former Employee), Doral, FLJune 29, 2015
The day consisted of sweeping mail, also sorting mail while meeting the safety guidelines. Very clean work environment and helpful co-workers were a plus.

1 2 3 4 5