United States Postal Service Employee Reviews

Found 8,390 reviews matching the search
Job was basically prodction work in a large factory setting
Distribution Clerk/ Acting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 10, 2017
I worked either 1st or 3rd shift for over 36 years. Enjoyed the various jobs throughout my career. I learned that the business was a process that included many phases to accomplish the primary goal- deliver mail quickly and accurately for the customer. I worked about half in workforce and half in management. My co-workers were very important to me and formed many great long term friendships along the way. The hardest part of the job was accomplishing the work on time. Many adjustments had to be made during a shift to accommodate the shifting volumes. The best part of the job was knowing that all the effort came together for a great outcome each day.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Sometimes long hours, night shifts and working weekends
Rural Associate Carrier
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Belle Plaine, IADecember 12, 2016
Typical day at work might consist of getting a call at crack of dawn telling you have to come in and deliver. You might get thrown on a route you never done before and get lost. For me personally, I loved the challenge. Being outdoor all the time and being able to do my own thing rather than having someone constantly looking over my shoulder. It's hard work and if you can't stand being in the vehicle all day or lifting heavy thing while in the nasty weather then this job isn't for you. Management could be horrible or super flexible for you depending on where you're located. It's all about where you are located, for example if you work in the big city then you will be expected to work easily overtime meanwhile out in the smaller town you might only be able to work one or two days a week.
Pros
On your own, good pay, flexible
Cons
non-career don't get much benefits
Usps
Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 17, 2017
The USPS is a great place to work at if you are lucky enough to be placed at a good station. Cons, everyone is not considered a "career employee" in the beginning which means no benefits and it may take years before you do.

If you are lucky you will get placed in a "functionable" station that is run well organized. In house politics are sometimes bordering on the ridiculous.

You can have lots of work usually, but the stations look out for their "career employees" or whomever they like. One untrue report from your trainer and your are targeted, left out.

I was looking forward to working for the USPS with pride, but all my spirits have been smashed, and that is the prevailing environment they have created.
Pros
Plenty of work if they like you
Cons
Environment, toxic
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 16, 2016
Clock in, gather all my mail, case it in route sequence, pull it down, load mail and packages into the truck, head to route, and deliver all the mail. I learned how to interact with customers, case mail, do my job in a timely fashion, and not depend on others.

Management was there for question and support, to field phone calls, and make sure every route was covered. My co-workers were very diverse, mad for a great work environment.

There really was no hard part to the job, maybe the long hours during holiday seasons. All in all I loved everything about the job.
Pros
non constant supervision, benefits, pay, job security, union
A massive High School
Casual Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 30, 2016
Working for the post office is financially viable and you learn a lot about one of this country's largest infrastructures. There are many different crafts with their own unique set of challenges
Management for the most part leaves a lot to be desired. People who have degrees in business management or extensive work in management are not in supervisory positions. Some managers will play employees off of each other and blatantly target some employees.
Some coworkers have high school mentalities and gossip and try to make others look bad. Some are really nice and will help you. Some just stay to themselves.
The hardest part of the job is standing on the concrete floors the whole day and the dealing with the monotony of the task.
The most enjoyable part is the comradery you can gain with some people.
If you are a regular employee you are unionized almost untouchable. If you are not a regular employee you have no job security,
Pros
Salary and benefits.
Cons
Bad work culture of little unity amongst employees.
Not for everyone
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 7, 2016
For the first three months, new hires are on probation and can be let go or leave at will. The job itself is not difficult. The expectations for new hires to be able to perform the job at the level of an experienced employee are outrageously high. I enjoyed the job, I did not enjoy being threatened with losing my job by my manager, supervisor, and other employees on a daily basis. I was injured on the job within my first two weeks on the street and I was told by my manager that I'd lose my job if I reported the accident to their insurance. I left shortly after that. I will not work in a hostile environment.
Pros
Union benefits, get lots of exercise while working, independant work
Cons
Hostile/abusive work environment, long hours, long weeks, hard to get time off without seniority, low pay for amount of effort and responsibility required
Working USPS has positive and negative attributes
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waynesboro, PADecember 27, 2016
USPS is a high stress, busy work environment. You are depended on to be accurate as well as quick while delivering mail and packages. It can be extremely stressful job because you have X amount of time to perform all of your duties. It is extremely difficult to advance in USPS. You would have to wait until another regular carrier retires before you can advance. It can literally takes years before you become regular and qualify for benefits which are better than other employment. On a positive note the USPS is a family and they help each other as needed. Also with walking up to 12-15 miles daily helps keep you in physical shape.
Pros
work together to achieve same goal
Cons
takes a long time to advance in career. Highly stressful environment.
This is a good place to work
Postal Carrier (Former Employee) –  Sun City West, AZDecember 6, 2016
When I first started this was a fun place to work. You were allowed to help other routes without being questioned about your mileage. As they became more concerned about where you were at what time that changed. This is the first place that I learned that no good deed goes unpunished, The more work you did, the more they wanted you to do. Employees that were be par in work performance were impossible to get rid of. Management refused to make anyone accountable for any of their actions, and seemed to be content with taking no action to improve anything.The hardest part of this job for me was watching the amount of time employees were allowed to waste. The best part of this job was the ability to interact with people from all over with different backgrounds/
Pros
good benefits
Cons
poor management
Good work environment
Rural Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Holmen, WIJanuary 10, 2017
We had a good office to work in. Everyone worked well together and assisted each other as needed.Great relationship between labor and management. Great customers. Dealing with some winter weather situations was probably hardest part of job. Typical day began by sorting mail and parcels. Loading my work vehicle. Delivery and pick up of mail/parcels and all accountable(signature required)mail. Unload and finish end of day duties.Turn in all monies, keys, and forms from that day. Most enjoyable part of job was putting a smile on the customers face by a piece of mail or a package that I delivered or picked up.
Pros
good paying job, benefits, customer relations.
Cons
Weather could be an issue at certain times of year.
Horrible place to work long term
RCA (Current Employee) –  Neenah, WIOctober 17, 2016
If your are looking for advancement and benefits this is not the place to work. No training whatsoever on new routes. Management sucks and expect you to be perfect at a task you never been properly trained at doing. I know so people that have work for the post office for 10, 8, and even 5 years and are still part time employees with no benefits. Such a waste of time to work here if you're looking to grow with a company. Plus mail count is getting slow since the birth of emails. People seem to use let stamps and pay bills online. The post office is only a float because of Amazon. ... I hate working on Sundays.
Pros
Coworkers, pay
Cons
No benefits such as PTO, retirement, and holiday pay.
30 Years with the USPS.
Marketing Dept. Account Rep/Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 4, 2017
The Postal Service provided myself and my family a solid income, great benefits, and educational benefits.
I developed my skills as a manager and mentor in the Marketing Department. I was able to develop my skills and develop my employees to become confident in their positions.
I worked through the ranks from clerk to upper management. You had to be very thick skinned to suceed in that environment. At the point I became a manager there were very few women promoted to upper levels. An almost no women of color.
The benefits however were outstanding in many ways.
Pros
Education, great benifits, and a very good salary.
Cons
It was a very male oriented environment and often hostile.
A good place to work
Mail Handler Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCOctober 14, 2016
The post office is a decent place to work. Plenty of hours, especially during holiday season. It is a great learning experience and the workers there are great. Many of the supervisors and union stewards have a wealth of information and are eager to teach anyone who wants to learn.

On the other hand in many ways the post office is horribly mismanaged and suffers from frequent communication failures between management and those under them. Communication is even worse if you are not converted to full time status (contingent) if you will. Many managers (not all) also treat a lot of workers underneath them like dirt. And sadly the union in many ways creates a toxic atmosphere as in my estimation protects a lot of bad workers.
Pros
steady hours, advancment opportunity, benefits (once converted to full time status.)
Cons
mismanaged, rude bosses, union protects bad workers
Expect to work long hours and six days a week with no set day off
Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 26, 2016
You will not have an issue working 48-56 hours per week if that is what you are looking for. You are not guaranteed a day off. Everything is about Senority as this is a government job. You are entry level so you have to work every Sunday because of contract with Amazon. You can work as many as 2 weeks straight before a day off. If you do anything like school outside of working as a CCA you will not make it. If long hours is what you are looking for this job is perfect for you. You will work 10-12 hours a day due to Regualr Carriers needing to be out of office by a certain time.
Pros
mandatory overtime, good overall benefits package, reliable job
Cons
no set day off, long working days, 2-3 yrs before becoming a career employee. six day work weeks, sometimes days off are up to 2 weeks inbetween.
Only work here if you're desperate and are prepared to discontinue a life outside of work.
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  KansasJanuary 12, 2017
Management will hound you every day to come in on your days off and complain that you're working too slow regardless of how fast you are actually going. I would only take this job is you're desperate to get some income because you are treated as an expendable piece of garbage. You will get paid less do more work and worse benefits than the regulars and they will not supply you with winter gear to stay warm.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
terrible work life balance
Great people,good pay and lots of overtime during holidays
Casual Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 23, 2016
Everyone may think just because your on a government facility doesnt mean your cool.. if you start off as a casual mailhandler you will get treated like a true SLAVE!.. 80% of the supervisors dont care if you got issues or emergencies in your family, they dont care about your health and if you call in because you were badly sick they make a big deal out of it and they start to threaten you about your attendance and you will get sent under investigation.. Plus phillipine supervisors are nice some are just horrible 70% of them.. so if you plan to join the post office apply for Mail handler assistant, you will still get treated as a slave but at least you get some benefits and being a casual you are just nothing to them.. they treat you like if they were the parent and you are the child.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
80% of supervisors are not very professional and you will have no life in this job
Hard work
City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 5, 2016
As a CCA you're switched around a lot and you also work 6 days a week which is new to me. Your life really revolves around the post office and they don't really care if you have school or personal issues. As a CCA you're given other people routes even if you are done yours and you are basically treated like a flunky. I want to stay but I need days off during the week. If you are placed at an encouraging station you might make a career out of it but people tend to discourage you to make you want to quit. Not to mention it is HARD WORK!
Pros
Good benefits and Overtime
Cons
No days off during the week
It's a fast paced job
Postal Support Employee (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 6, 2016
worked as a pse. Once the machine runs, you need to be on your toes bending and lifting mail and putting it in the corresponding bin. Make a mistake and it creates a great problem. During peak season you work 12 hrs 6 days a week. It is a lot and takes a toll on your body. Only do it if you really are a very hard worker. They stress that point in the invitational email you get too. Management was good. Co workers was ok as long as you did the job right.
Pros
good compensation
Cons
long hours, very physical position.
a very diversified place where you become not just co-workers but family of different cultures
Mail Processor (Current Employee) –  Doral, FLDecember 30, 2016
Working at the post is a very physical and strenuous job. The pay and benefits are very good. Your day can consist of 8-12hrs per day 6/7 days per week. It's a job where you can move up into different levels of management. One of the best places to work as far as job security. This job consists of a lot of lifting, bending and pushing of heavy items.
Pros
great pay & benefits, oppportunity to move up in positions, union protected
Cons
extremely physical
It's a typical government job
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Skamania County, WAJanuary 7, 2017
A typical government job means you have pretty good benefits and resources if you're full-time. But you'll need to wait for someone to retire or die for that and even then there's no guarantee with the new Republican administration. They've been trying to privatize the Post Office for years.

I was a rural carrier and made $17/hr but I had to provide my own vehicle.

The job itself is pretty bland and repetitive but I enjoyed the public interaction in my small town. Somebody in a cubicle in Minnesota estimates how long and how productive you should be (which is always wrong) and you end up sacrificing customer service to make those goals. And the customers take it out on you like it's your fault. It's the reason there is the term 'going postal' in our vernacular.

I had a good boss and nice people to work with for the most part. I hear that's the exception rather than the rule.
Pros
Retirement kind of job.
Cons
Way too structured.
Well paying job, with excellent people
Distribution Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 27, 2016
Over all I thought the job was wonderful, I was being paid well and almost everyone I worked with was highly likable. While it takes a varying amount of time to obtain benefits, once you do you are set for life. The downsides are mostly physical and in communication. Hours are not accurately reflected upon being hired, a 30 hour week schedule on paper is in actuality expected to be a 48-72 hour work week. There are no breaks until the mail is out so you are on your feet working nonstop for 5-6 hours and up to 8 on Sundays before you can rest.
Pros
Good pay, Benefits, Great co-workers
Cons
Long hours, physically demanding, poor communication

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

United States Postal Service Reviews by Location