United States Postal Service

United States Postal Service Employee Reviews

What people are saying about United States Postal Service

• I enjoyed working at The Postal Service
  • The postal service is not for everyone
  • Sorting mail
  • The Postal Service is a dying business
Found 5,608 reviews matching the search
Busy Environment
Letter Carrier, Regional Plant Employee (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WA 99218February 4, 2016
A good place to gain skills. There is lots of physical labor involved in this job. It's a good way to learn about city planning.
Very demanding physically & very stressful with little appreciation from management.
CITY CARRIER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAFebruary 4, 2016
Typical day is casing/organizing all mailings from standard, first class, magazines, etc. then loading them in the LLV (vehicle) according to route. You can have packages bigger and heavier than you. There can also be apartment mailboxes that are rusted and difficult to open/close which takes time and effort which counts against you at the end of the day because you didn't finish your delivery to their expectation. They don't care if you're sick, you are expected to work regardless. Management is ruthless and work you like a workhorse! They don't care because you are only temporary until your 3-month probation (that is, if you can put up with management put-downs). Many probationers quit within the first week. I lasted a little longer. I don't know which is harder: the physical aspect of the job or putting up with management who couldn't care less about you.
All in all, I actually enjoyed my OJT who I shadowed and showed me the ropes in how to efficiently deliver the mail and organize the packages. I also enjoyed meeting people on my route who shows appreciation of your work, unlike management.
The City Carrier Assistant position is a very honorable job, i just wish I was placed at a better office with better management.
Pros
You're independently working and active.
Cons
You can't break because you have to meet the time you're expected to finish your route.
Mail Carrier
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAFebruary 4, 2016
Pick up packages from dock, Load Van, start route, scan packsages deliver express packages first, and the finish regular routes
Fast paced and hard working environment.
Postal Clerk (Former Employee) –  Clifton Heights, PAFebruary 3, 2016
Worked at a permanent flexible employee. This required many consecutive days of various shifts as needed. Start time most days was 3 am. Guaranteed 4 hrs work but you could also be required to work 8 to 10 hrs. This depended on the season, absentees and work load.
Pros
The salary and benefits for the most part made it worthwhile
Cons
Waited 8 years and never became a regular employee with a normal 40 hour work week.
Can be very stressful
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Garden City, MIFebruary 3, 2016
As new employee starting with the Post Office the job can be very stressful. As a new employee if another employee calls in sick all of the work is distributed the newer employees.
Treat employees wrong
Mail Handler (Current Employee) –  Gary, INFebruary 3, 2016
Management really don't care about employees. everyone is set in their ways and it is hard to be a new employee coming in the door. I do not like working for the United States Postal Service
Promotion potential based on seniority, not work ethic or ability.
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Wooster, OHFebruary 3, 2016
A good place to work provided you can obtain career status, (full time). In my case I am 5th on the seniority depth chart, with no one above me anywhere near retirement age.
Pros
1st shift hours.
Cons
Limited benefits for non career status.
its a great place !
CITY CARRIER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Hialeah, FLFebruary 3, 2016
Great place to work at it has great benefits and it helps you grow within because you get to have a stable schedule and the pay is amazing.
it sucked so bad
UPS (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJFebruary 2, 2016
they had you stay on metal platforms and push heavy bins weighing over a ton.when it rains or snow you slip you heels hurt so bad just from walking on the metal alone. the parking lot far if you missed the shuttle it was 20-30 mins for another one to get to you not including the 5 min drive to the building and the booth you have to walk in to just to go back outside and walk across the yard to get in the building if you walked from the parking lot it was a 20 min walk.
Pros
some employees were nice
Cons
far parking, standing on mettle whole shift
Hardworking
Postal Letter Carrier/Mail Handler (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 2, 2016
Every day is different, You always know you begin tour but you never know your end tour. I learned how to work with different people from different backgrounds, different personalities. I learned how to become a team player. Management does their job. Hardest part of the job is you can never plan nothing because you don't know what time you will be off. Its hard to get things done in the evening because everything is closed. The weather conditions has always been a challenge, rain, sleet, snow, ice, heat. Most enjoyable is I can get along with people very well and I can adapt to my situations.
Pros
good money, seeing different people everyday
Cons
short lunch breaks, micromanagement, never know what each day will be like nor the circumstances

Want to know more about United States Postal Service?

Ask a question
Nice people, yet some can't handle the stress the job can endure.
Route Carrier (Current Employee) –  Brookville, PAFebruary 2, 2016
Fast paced, but I like that. No time to get bored or have your mind wander.

Management could be more strick to those who fall behind or goof off.

Co-workers are as any where else you work, you have those who do an awesome job and some who take advantage. I keep to myself and do my job.

Hardest part of the job is driving in bad weather conditions, still have to do it, no matter what.

Most enjoyable is being on my own to accomplish what is required of me.
Not worth it
City Carrier Assistant (CCA) (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 2, 2016
Dont waste your time here. Management is terrible and wants 12 hours of works done in 8 hours just to send you to other stations to do theirs aswell. Unless you have a relative or spouse working here you will be railroaded and treated terrible.
Fairly Easy Job
Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Capitol Heights, MDFebruary 1, 2016
During your first week it will seem hard but after some time you will notice its Fairly easy. A job Task can be loading or unloading Trucks scanning mail.
A productive environment
Mail Handler (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJFebruary 1, 2016
A typical day at work for me is to get my assignment for the day and proceed with my job. I work very well with other people so my co-workers are very fond of me. There is really nothing hard to do at the my job. It's basic common sense and following directions. The most enjoyable part is getting to learn different job functions and meeting new people.
Pros
Large cafeteria
Cons
Short breaks
Productive work place with nice co - workers
PSE Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOFebruary 1, 2016
Typical day at work consist of answering inbound phone calls from patients and sending messages to the doctors, Schedule appointments and assist patient with any other inquires.
protoctive and alright place to work.
Casual Mail Handler (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 1, 2016
It was a good experience to get to know how our mail is handle and process on a daily bases to make sure we get the mail on time at our houses, facilities, companies, etc.
general understanding
Package Handler (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAFebruary 1, 2016
the job was good for a while but its all about seniority and sometimes the way things are run isn't fair or smart either
it dealt with using ur body and using your strength to unload boxes or packages. the hardest part of the job was when boxes were to heavy or we have a heavy flow of volume in a trailer or container
Pros
union
Cons
some times unorganized
did not like this position
Custodial Laborer (Former Employee) –  North Vernon, INJanuary 31, 2016
custodian... the only custodian. was told i was doing to much cleaning too often. no communication on how the job should be done.
Working for the postal service is okay.
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Doraville, GAJanuary 31, 2016
A typical day at work is sorting and delivering mail/parcels. I learned it was more to the job other than what the public see. The management was horrible. They nothing about there employees at all. My co-workers was friendly and fun to work with. The hardest part of the job is dealing with poor management. The most enjoyable part of this job is making the customers happy.
Pros
Working enviorment
Cons
Mangement
Employees are nice but the management not so much.
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sandusky, OHJanuary 31, 2016
I was disappointed with my overall experience at the post office as a city carrier. It takes time just starting out at a new job especially if it's a job that you have no skills in. You try your best and it's not good enough, everyone learns at their own pace but there is no room for error. Even if your new which means your slower, management questions you when you return back to the office. It could be windy, cold, and rainy and on top of it unaware of your surroundings having to hit every house because you have a circular to deliver that day, and you still get the stink eye and asked, what happened out there? Sorry but definitely not my kind of job. Once you learn the same route and your parking points, its not so bad. Very rare you stay on the same route especially just starting out. On top of it all i was sick the whole 6 weeks i worked there. I guess you don't know how your body will react until you work outdoors especially if your use to working indoors like i was.The pay was good but if their trying to call you when it gets closer to the truck leaving for the day and you don't answer or call them back right away, I feel you get penalized. I told them that i will not carry my phone on me while delivering the mail because i was afraid i would lose it. So if i am already running behind and i am trying to finish before it gets dark outside, my last worry is to see if their calling or trying to call them back just so i could hear disappointment in their voice. I called back one day and the manager said, "I really wished you had called me back", and i was thinking okay. Well  more... i soon found out because i didn't call back right away, for the next two weeks I only worked 4 days. I was very upset and definitely felt i was being punished.  less
Pros
The money
Cons
Management, No room for error even if your new.