United States Postal Service

United States Postal Service Employee Reviews in United States

Found 7,261 reviews matching the search
The mail never stops!
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAMay 23, 2016
People love their mail and their mail carriers!!
Rain, sleet, or snow, the mail will be delivered! As a city carrier, I got more exercise than I ever expected, but I also came in contact with some of the kindest people I've ever met.
Poor management
CCA (Former Employee) –  Saint Augustine, FLMay 23, 2016
Don't catch the flu or sprain your ankle! Even with doctor's notes! Management only cares about their bottom line. They do not care about your well-being. They want to have their cake and eat it too. They teach safety, yet expect you to do a rush job. Especially if you are on a walking route. A person can only walk so fast and deliver the mail/packages. The employees you work with are nice, but everyone you work with is always stressed out due to management. Some employees do not even takes their 30 minute lunch because of the pressures that management places on them.
Productive Great job
PSE/RCA (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 23, 2016
The job at the United States Postal Service is a good job with great benefits, competitive pay raises, and a good work environment, Sorting and delivering mail safely and efficiently.
Pros
Great Benefits, pay raises, health care.
Cons
Short Lunches
United States Postal Service
Temporary Mail handler (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 23, 2016
Typically you would stock mail into trucks to be shipped out. I have learned to lift heavy products that was over 70 lbs. Management usually just came around to check if your work was completed that's all. The hardest part of the job was the temporary position. You would never know when they would dismiss you. Most enjoyable was to be able to go on a break for something to eat and the pay was very great for me.
If it were not for the overall initial compensation, I would have not considered working as a PSE Mail Processing Clerk.
PSE Mail Processing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILMay 23, 2016
The position is physically demanding, especially during holidays when mail volume is at its peak.

There seems to be a need for better training for middle management employees.
productive workplace
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 23, 2016
awesome place to work
loved the flexibility for my school schedule
really enjoyed working with the folks
management was very understanding and totally open for suggestions and help in any way they could
this job was not my best job
Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 22, 2016
they placed me in a position I did not apply for. They messed my check up a couple of times. I did not have a off day for a while when I first started
Pros
on bus line
Cons
need to train better. Have better people skills
MAIL HANDLER/RURAL (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 22, 2016
Every morning is a fun and new experience. They work as a family and its a teamwork job place. Customers are welcoming and very open for discussion
Review
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVMay 22, 2016
My time with the postal service was only on a part time basis and I worked under the management of my mother. I was a clerk which meant I did everything the post master did in her absence. I enjoyed the work I did there and the people. I wish I had applied for full time positions and continued with them.
Pros
good money and flexible work schedule
Cons
part time work
Mail distribution clerk
Mail Distribution Clerk (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNMay 21, 2016
A typical work day included processing and packaging mail to us standards. I learned that efficiency and being consistency is what it takes to move mail on a daily. The hardest part of the job was standing for 8 hours a day. The enjoyable part of my job was knowing I made my customers happy at the end of the day.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
short breaks
Excellent Employer
Tractor Trailer Operator (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 21, 2016
The benefits and compensation could not be better. Job security is also a given. Government benefits are the best as far as coverage and cost. The most difficult portion of the job is the heavy pushing and pulling. The most enjoyable part of the job is the camaraderie. In the past 16 years I gained many skills that would even allow me to become an instructor or trainer.
Pros
Benefits, job security, and compensation
Cons
extremely hard labor, heavy pushing and pulling
pay is good but if you're a CCA work/life balance SUCKS!
City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Simi Valley, CAMay 20, 2016
As a CCA, management has the right to tell you "hey, we don't need you today" or "we need you to come in today" so you can't really make any plans(and those you do make often get cancelled). EXPECT TO WORK HOLIDAYS AND WEEKENDS.....just expect it and don't be upset when they tell you you have to work. If the regular carriers cant get a holiday off, the CCA will most definitely not be getting the day off.
Hardest part is the pressure for time and performance. It's like constantly having a giant project for work due every single day that fluxuates in size.....I personally don't enjoy that type of work. The pay is great but if you're someone who values work/life over the paycheck, don't take this job. They will say "20-40 hours" but that can change daily....don't make plans and if you work for another office ever, expect to get calls from them on your days off(they will call your main office to see if you're working so that they can borrow you for the day....some supervisors are more agreeable than others.....
Co-workers take some time to get warmed up to you but everyone that works and is regular and the older CCAs are happy to help you learn things....slightly less happy when you can't finish your route and need help, but they're great.
Management can be hit or miss....they are mostly great and willing to work with you to help you learn what you need to do.
If you like working outside(in a truck or walking) it's great. bring sunscreen and water and EAT YOUR LUNCH.....take the breaks that they give you even if they "slow you down"....you'll thank yourself later.
Pros
good pay, outside, interact with people, good coworkers
Cons
TIME PRESSURE, overloaded, NO WORK/LIFE BALANCE
One way to boost the brain
Rural Route Carrier - Part-time (Current Employee) –  Florence,MS.May 20, 2016
Practice and practice over and over and reputition after reputition to learn to meet enough specks. To repeat over and over certain ways to meet quality control as much possible.
great experience
Rural Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsville, MDMay 20, 2016
enjoyed working at the post office great pay would have liked it to have been full time and permanent but was only a sub and worked when regulars called out so not much hours.
Pros
great pay and experience
Cons
long hours if not that fast alot to remember sub
Great Work Experience.
Casual CEP Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 20, 2016
I love working here because you didn't have nobody watching over you as you do your work. They assign you your work and what time it has to be finish and they leave you alone. Il love it.
Rural Route Carrier Assistant
Rural Route Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Centennial, COMay 19, 2016
although it was a great job and that I enjoyed. at times I felt unappreciated by management. what the job description doesn't tell you is that when you are hired you are assigned to ONE route, and that you are only guaranteed ONE day of work, BUT you are still expected to be available IF they call you. meaning that if they don't need you, you will still not be able to get another part time job because you have to be available when they call.
Great Company to start a career
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Reedley, CAMay 19, 2016
Great company to start a career. Great benefits and compensation. You really only encounter your co workers in the morning before departing for delivery.
Pros
minimal supervison
Cons
physcially can take a toll on your body
Overall review of this job is mixed. My job was a challenge and I enjoyed helping my customers.
Purchasing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 18, 2016
Most of the people were charming, respectful, and hard workers, however the upper management personnel presented too much 'cut throat' behavior and disrespect for the lower positions, Unfortunately those that were affiliated with the power of hiring did not promote honesty and a respect for hard workers.

I loved my job and the challenges. I worked with many upper and lower entry level positions, including lawyers. Because I wanted everybody to learn and understand the processes they appreciated my desire to teach policy and procedures in simplified terms. I had an excellent Technician that displayed our presentations in such a professional manner the buyers were relieved that did not have to read manuals to understand a process.
Pros
Excellent Health Care Insurance rates
Cons
Not enough college educated personnel .. were promoted based on who you knew.
Perfect area to grow getting best of it.
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Villalba Municipio, PRMay 18, 2016
A new day in my postal work was like return to a safety and secure place where I feel very good. Everyone were like family and each one knows what to do. So, the production always was increasing in sales, the customers were so happy with the service and come back every day. Sometimes we have a person that do not agree with something , but I always try to help in their situation. The pay was nice and the customer satisfaction was the best.
Pros
work with customers directly.Good pay daily satisfaction as human being.
Cons
Pressure of the customers when shortage of personnel.
Detailed and fast
City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 18, 2016
A day would consist of not knowing what you are going to get into that day. Only in the morning as you walk in you will find out your work load and how much can you take and how much can you leave behind even tho you don't know if tomorrow is going to be lite or even heavier to add to. The management helps by assigning assistance to the carriers who might need it (there is only a certain number of helpers, so not everyone will get help), yet at the same time needs to makes sure everyone takes all what they can take.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
no breaks, sometimes no lunch