United States Postal Service Employee Reviews

Not a great place
Mail Handler Assistant (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 20, 2017
A typical day would be to come in, work your butt off, be told mandatory overtime, do 2 other people's jobs because they won't hire anyone to replace the people who did quit. Work 12 hours a day go home sore. Repeat.

Management doesn't care about anyone but themselves. No advancement potential as the Post Office is cutting jobs because they can't afford to pay benefits.
Pros
Money
Cons
Everything else.
not a fun place to work.
Retail Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Cedar Grove, NJNovember 19, 2017
unhappy work environment. management is very poor and lacks human feeling. have not respect for fellow worker especially me. i am not happy working in the particular office i am right now.
Physically demanding
PSE Mail Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IANovember 19, 2017
fast-paced environment. Breaks not guaranteed. Very pressured to complete duties in a timely manner. No lunch break time due to heavy work load. Temporary appointment difficult to achieve permanent hire position
Pros
good work
Cons
exhausting
It was a lot to handle at times but I managed it.
Casual Clerk (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 19, 2017
It was an ok place to work and decent pay. I was a seasonal worker trying to get extra money for the holidays so it definitely worked well for me. It was busy most times which could make it a little stressful some days. But overall a good place to work.
Pros
Night shift pay
Cons
6 day work week
Not recommended
Postal Clerk (Former Employee) –  South Lyon, MINovember 19, 2017
Horrible managers. I wouldn't recommend employment. The hours are horrible. The pay and benefits are good. The work was great. The employees are not team players. This was the worse job ever.
Productive and fast , fun but observed frequently.
Sales Associate / Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CANovember 19, 2017
A typical day is working hard , being on time , no playing around being at your post within 5 minutes of clocking in. What I have learn was computer skills, how the mail is prosed . I requested several times to improve my knowledge but was never introduced for improvement. Management had only eyes for favorite employees. The workplace culture was not fun people enjoyed talking behind your back and spreading rumors. The hardest part was for me when I started getting older was standing on my feet for 8 hours. Your either standing or walking constantly back and forth with cages of mail from the machines to the dock. The most enjoyable part was clocking out to leave.
Pros
Cons
breaks and lunch time.
A very reasonable place to work.
Window Clerk (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CANovember 19, 2017
Most of my working career at the Postal Service was adequate and, for the most part, enjoyable. It allowed me to pursue my educational interests and save a considerable amount of money. It offered fine benefits.
Pros
Good benefits, good vacations (five weeks/yr), good pay, two breaks per day and a fair lunch period.
Cons
Rotating management personnel made it difficult to cope at times.
management is untrustworthy and liars
Mail Handler Assistant (Former Employee) –  SOUTH JERSEY P&DCNovember 19, 2017
while working there management would say i did something wrong when it was another person, they would adjust my time to make it seem like i was late and would not give me a break for my entire shift.
Pros
non
Cons
Management, Labor union
Long days, contractual employment?
Letter Carrier & Interim Supervisor (Former Employee) –  West Hills, CANovember 18, 2017
Working at the post office as a new guy really can put "hard work" into perspective. When you're new, you will be pushed to perform at the same standards as those who have been working there for many years. Being tired after work will be a normal thing.
New employees were put on a contract for a year at a time, getting laid off each time. No tenure to be earned in that period of time. If you're able to hang in there the pay off can be good: becoming an actual career employee.
mostly fast paced and some slow periods
Postal clerk (Former Employee) –  Racine, WINovember 18, 2017
I liked the coworkers and hated upper management. Your boss will take it out on you cause his/hers bosses, bosses, boss yelled at him. They want to eliminate jobs left and right and they go by numbers and not by work volume.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
No life, work hours ALWAYS change, Job security is not there

Want to know more about United States Postal Service?

Ask a question
Only if you need money and have no good options
PSE Clerk (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHNovember 18, 2017
They pay ok for the fact that they work you hard. If you dont catch on in 2 months they fire you. The management is a joke and act as if you are machine and not a person. Use your discretion when applying for a job.
Pros
pay, overtime
Cons
no work life balance
It wouldn't be so bad if management wasn't so unprofessional
P.T. Custodian (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDNovember 18, 2017
You can make money and build in the US postal service if your placed in a great location with a people person type of Management staff instead of slave drivers that give you disrespect
Pros
Long term goals can be made
Cons
Need tough skin to work there.
Very stressful place to work for.
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 18, 2017
Pay is great but the mandatory overtime is overwhelming. Great opportunity for advancement. Company that is always hiring but you. You have to be very flexible to work for the post office.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Mandatory Overtime and shift change when ever.
Nice place to work. Good pay and benefits. Hard to have a home life though.
Carrier Technician (Current Employee) –  Shenandoah, PANovember 18, 2017
I see so many reviews on here saying how the USPS is such a bad company to work for and advancement takes forever. You just have to be patient and not get greedy and wait your turn. It will happen. I have been with the Postal Service for just over 3 years now and have made regular a few months ago. I was a CCA and yes it was hard at times and the extreme weather sucks but it is a great place for advancement as long as you are willing to learn. I have had the opportunity to fill in as Postmaster and Supervisor in a few different offices and I love my job. It is a very physical job but if you have the drive and willingness to work you will do fine. I se so many people saying how this job is for fit young people and while I am young I am definitely not fit. Give it a try, if u don’t like carrying mail there are other options within this company for you, just do your homework and choose what fits you best.
Pros
Job stability, great benefits once you make career (non-career isn’t so bad either)
Cons
Inclement weather, long hours
Stressful
City Carrier (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 18, 2017
This job is very overwhelming and stressful. I do not feel like Carriers get paid enough to do the work that is done. This job causes a lot of wear and tear on your body and management is TERRIBLE.
Poor work environment
CCA- City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXNovember 18, 2017
Very poor communication by management. Carriers were generally referred to as "grumpy old men" by one postmaster. I would come to work and be sent home because there was no vehicle to drive, or on a couple of occasions, I was almost at work, and told to the day off. Scanners didn't work properly. You never know your schedule until late in the afternoon the day before, so it was impossible to plan any outside activities. Very poor work/life balance.
Pros
ok pay
Cons
poorly run and resourced operation
company driven
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Papillion, NENovember 18, 2017
not for people with a family, once you think you have finished your day, they send you to another station to work additional hours and not by your own choice
Pros
Cons
everything
management worked a select few - nobody else was scheduled to work
rca (Former Employee) –  Prince Frederick, MDNovember 18, 2017
would not recommend to anyone
I did not like the way I was treated, constantly threatened
sorry

have

nothing

good

to

say

about the post office, my manager made sure I would not work there or any other post office
Nice
PSE Mail Processing Clerk/Casual Mail Handler (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILNovember 18, 2017
It is nice working at the Post Office. The only thing is, your hours/schedule will change all of the time, Most of all, it is very important to just keep your focus and process the mail. The towns you are assigned to are expecting their mail in a accurate and timely manner.
Middle of the road
MHA (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 18, 2017
This is a ok place to work but in my role you have to wait until a career opening comes up and then they give all of the hours to those who are already career people to begin with plus they get overtime too. It's hard to live off of 30 hrs a week in this economy and its put myself and many of my coworkers in my same position in a financial bind. I've found out that this is why most people leave or quit.
Pros
Location and its union
Cons
Not enough hours on a consistent basis to live off of, not enough equipment to do your job with

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.