United States Postal Service Employee Reviews

Poor work environment
CCA- City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXNovember 18, 2017
Very poor communication by management. Carriers were generally referred to as "grumpy old men" by one postmaster. I would come to work and be sent home because there was no vehicle to drive, or on a couple of occasions, I was almost at work, and told to the day off. Scanners didn't work properly. You never know your schedule until late in the afternoon the day before, so it was impossible to plan any outside activities. Very poor work/life balance.
Pros
ok pay
Cons
poorly run and resourced operation
company driven
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Papillion, NENovember 18, 2017
not for people with a family, once you think you have finished your day, they send you to another station to work additional hours and not by your own choice
Pros
Cons
everything
management worked a select few - nobody else was scheduled to work
rca (Former Employee) –  Prince Frederick, MDNovember 18, 2017
would not recommend to anyone
I did not like the way I was treated, constantly threatened
sorry

have

nothing

good

to

say

about the post office, my manager made sure I would not work there or any other post office
Nice
PSE Mail Processing Clerk/Casual Mail Handler (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILNovember 18, 2017
It is nice working at the Post Office. The only thing is, your hours/schedule will change all of the time, Most of all, it is very important to just keep your focus and process the mail. The towns you are assigned to are expecting their mail in a accurate and timely manner.
Middle of the road
MHA (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 18, 2017
This is a ok place to work but in my role you have to wait until a career opening comes up and then they give all of the hours to those who are already career people to begin with plus they get overtime too. It's hard to live off of 30 hrs a week in this economy and its put myself and many of my coworkers in my same position in a financial bind. I've found out that this is why most people leave or quit.
Pros
Location and its union
Cons
Not enough hours on a consistent basis to live off of, not enough equipment to do your job with
no balance
Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Middleton, WINovember 17, 2017
the job overall is ok but depending on your office determines your success rate if you are in college it is not the job to do it takes a lot of time and energy
Cons
no breaks, one day off, no time for anything
wet dirty cold place to work
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 17, 2017
come in at 8-10 am each morning
case mail,
pick up keys scanner ect.
pick up parcels
check truck
load truck
deliver mail and packages in whatever kind of weather
get lunch/break in when you can
hope supervisor let you go home after long shift
Pros
hope for a good truck
Cons
manipulative management, dirty work environment
good place to work if u want to make money and a career
postal carrier (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXNovember 17, 2017
the post office is a good job to work they give good benefits and you also work at your own pace the only thing about it is that u have to work in every whether condition
It a good place too work
Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Alexander City, ALNovember 17, 2017
Its a good place too work it just takes years depending on the office you work in to get a full time position you can not get any benefits the waiting time is 12yrs max
Hard labor
Mail Handler/Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 17, 2017
This is a very stressful place to work at, long hours and hard labor. In most cases it takes years to become a permanent employee, which means you do not qualify for benefits
It worth the money
Letter Carrier / Amazon Operation Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLNovember 17, 2017
If you're looking to skate by in something for the rest of your life with no education required this is it. Get through the 3 month probationary period and it's smooth sailing for the next 40 years I'm sure.
na
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Cartersville, GANovember 17, 2017
I liked my job and what i did and somd of the people i worked with. It can be stressful at times but what job isn't. Christmas is the busiest time of the year.
Flat screen TV'S in the lunch room. Building kept clean.
Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee) –  Bellmawr, NJNovember 17, 2017
A day at work was always a good time. work place was ok not the best place. managrment was ok. Only seen or heard from them was when they needed me ask me to do what they wanted done aside of my regular duties that I had to do. their really wasn;t a hard part of my Job. Working together with my coworkers in the plant.
Pros
good benifits, good pay, paid uniforms. Retirement plans.
Cons
Working with people who had no clue of what they were doing. Managers included as well.
fast paced at first until you get to know your assignments
Career Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYNovember 16, 2017
very fast paced place want you back on time no matter the situation. at some stations heavy work schedules around the holiday seasons. When you begin don't expect to have to much family time because when you first get started they will work you like a dog for the first couple of years. but that was in New York City other places may be different.
Changlinging workplace
Lead Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 16, 2017
Lack of upper management support at my level to be successful on a daily basis to transport mail from stations for processing and delivery to the customer service units for customer deliveries
Pros
Great bennifits
Cons
lack of upper management support
Fair to good
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 16, 2017
Very fast paced, lots of mail to deliver to customers, customers were very pleasant to work for, worked a lot of over time during Holidays when I was finished with my route I would ask to help other carriers deliver their mail. The hardest part of the job was finishing work load with in 8 hours. the most enjoyable part was making sure customers were satisfied.
Not for family oriented people.
Mail Handler Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 16, 2017
The job security was great however the culture of the postal service isn't the same from years prior. Many of my family has and still work there but in the end it was not for me.
Potal Carrier
Postal Carrier (Current Employee) –  Socorro, TXNovember 16, 2017
Not a bad job if you like being by yourself most of the day. Very relaxed and easy to get into a routine, unless it is during the Holiday times, then it isn't very relaxing. Decent pay, decent people that work there, but you wont see much of them except during the morning pick up.
Pros
Pay, Indepenace
Fast Paced
CITY CARRIER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CANovember 16, 2017
I enjoyed showing up to work for the cash. Working a 12 hours shift got me almost $257.00...just for that day! The only thing I did not like about the job was the disorganization. They're were days that I would show up at my assigned time and my work load wouldn't be ready. Other times I would have my workload ready, but no vehicle! Overall, I enjoyed the freedom of being out in the elements delivering mail.
Pros
Freedom to work alone, Great Pay
Cons
Unorganized, Dog Eat Dog culture
Steady work
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILNovember 16, 2017
You have to take a lot each and every day, but if you are a "heads down" type of worker, this is for you. You are told exactly what needs to be done -- no decisions.
Pros
steady job
Cons
outdoor elements

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.