United States Postal Service

5.1K reviews

United States Postal Service Employee Reviews

USPS hassle.
MHA (Former Employee), Bell, CAAugust 17, 2015
Pros: Overtime, Knowledge on Equipment
Cons: Management, Job/Worklife
When I received the news that I had this job I was so extremely ecstatic. When I actually got inside I realized that's its a headache that you may want to avoid. The work conditions are horrible, The management is extremely cruel, and the employees are even worse. I loved my job and I loved the fact that I was helping in getting the mail out. The overtime is always beautiful as well. But the way they slave you and treat you is definitely beyond cruel.
Great career
Postal Support Employee/ Mail Handler (Current Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 16, 2015
Pros: Job Security/Benfits
Working for the United States Postal Service your Guaranteed 40hr a week and the pay and benefits are great not to mention your home in bed every night.
IT PAYS THE BILLS
SALES AND SERVICES CLERK (Current Employee), LAKEWOOD, WAAugust 16, 2015
Pros: A JOB THAT YOU DON'T NEED TO HAVE A COLLEGE DEGREE FOR
Cons: STRESSFUL JOB AT TIMES
VERY BUSY FROM OPEN TO CLOSE. YOU HAVE TO LEARN PATIENCE AT THIS JOB OR YOU WILL LOSE YOUR MIND, YOU MUST LEARN HOW TO BE YOUR OWN BOSS DUE TO THE FACT THAT THERE MAY NOT ALWAYS BE ONE THERE FOR YOU TO CALL ON WHEN YOU NEED ONE. SOMETIMES YOU MAY BE ON YOUR OWN IF YOUR CO WORKERS DECIDE THAT THEY DON'T WANT TO BE A TEAM PLAYER AND SHOW UP. THE HARDEST PART OF YOUR DAY WOULD BE WHEN YOU HAVE CUSTOMER AFTER CUSTOMER JUST PUT YOU DOWN ALL DAY JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE HAVING A HORRIBLE LIFE AND THINK ITS OKAY TO TAKE IT OUT ON THE POSTAL WORKER. AT THE END OF THE DAY WHEN YOU CAN CLOSE THOSE DOORS AND BE ABLE TO WALK OUT AND LIVE ANOTHER DAY IT MAKES IT ALL WORTH IT TO GET UP AND DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN UNTIL SOMETHING ELSE BETTER COMES ALONG.
Very rewarding job experience.
Mail Sorter (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOAugust 16, 2015
Typical day: Sorting mail by zip codes, a lot of lifting, loading/unloading trucks. The job was not hard. Management staff was very helpful.
City Letter Carrier
City Letter Carrier (Current Employee), Washington, DCAugust 16, 2015
Very vigorous job! Highly demanding, working in ALL weather elements year-round. Good benefits, good salary! thankful to be employed!
u.s. post office
Mail Handler (Former Employee), Trenton, NJAugust 16, 2015
was a great experience, would love to work there again. The company was great and the coworkers were even better. One of the U.S. companies which treats their employees great.
Rural mail carrier for 22 years, retired
Rural Mail Carrier (Former Employee), Gansevoort, NYAugust 16, 2015
Pros: great pay, great benefits, used to have great perks, rewards. these have been eliminated now.
Cons: Short breaks, lots of pressure, stress.
Each day I would report to work. I had to sort each piece of mail and case it according to where each family lived/was entered on my case.
Upon completion, I then had to pull down the mail and tray it in preparation for delivery. Any/all packages to be delivered also had to be sorted in order of route delivery and along with the mail placed in my LLV (postal delivery truck).

I then had approx. 3-4 hours to drive my 32 mile route consisting of 560 families, delivering their mail accurately each day.

At the end of my day, I returned to the office and then put up any mail that had come in for the next day.

I was also responsible for any customers requests, i.e. forwarding, holding, etc.

Some managers worked well with the employees; others treated us like we were not important. Overall, we managed to work well together. Some fellow carriers tried to "take over"...but they were all on the same level position as the rest of us. Management usually kept them in line.
No Benefits / Work 7 Days a Week
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee), Aurora, COAugust 16, 2015
Very demanding job. You rarely get a day off and they expect you to work 7 days a week with no benefits. You get put on a totem pole to move up the line to get benefits, but that takes a minimum of three years.
Awesome Place to Work
Data Conversion Operator (Former Employee), Modesto, CAAugust 15, 2015
Pros: Pay and Benefits
Cons: only having one location
I absolutely loved this place when I worked here. I am sad that I had to leave as I was moving states. I worked evenings from 5- midnight. Loved the OT and differential pay that was offered to third shift. I wish they'd had a location that I could've transferred to as I could have advanced each month with performance and had just been promoted after only 1 month.
Good compensation
Mail Processing Clerk (Current Employee), Providence, RIAugust 14, 2015
Pros: Good hourly pay with unlimited overtime
Cons: Do not have an end time for work day
Tough place to work for if not a career employee. Long days and 6 day work weeks. Compensation is good with unlimited overtime but it is mandatory overtime, hard to balance home life and this position.
Fast-paced work without much supervision
RCA Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee), Erie, COAugust 13, 2015
Pros: Beautiful office-rural Colorado
Cons: Very little benefits at the sub position
Very active job where you want to race the clock and so the day flies by. Spend half of the day outside on your own which is very enjoyable when the weather is nice. Spend the other half of the day inside sorting the mail and parcels with very little supervision. The hardest part of the job is the physical aspect, a lot of repetitive motion.
Difficult work
Postal Carrier (Former Employee), Easton, PAAugust 13, 2015
Pros: benefits and job security
Cons: poorly managed
Delivering mail on foot to different business and residential locations in the city of Easton, PA 10 hours a day, seven days a week. Lifting and carrying mail bags, tray and packages in large volumns.
Fun place to work
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 13, 2015
Pros: great people, Great benifits
Cons: Long hours
On a everyday basis you will enjoy outside exercise while you work!!! You get the chance to work as a team to get the mail deliverd to the customers! Really enjoyed my time with this job.
Fun co-workers and you get to be oustide and on your own
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee), Yakima, WAAugust 13, 2015
Pros: Working Outside
Cons: Long hours
Long hours. You sort and lot of mail and you carry it in bulk. It's more like hiking. Management was good, didn't see a lot of co-workers very often but they were there. Everyone's busy doing what their route requires. Hardest part of the job was the walking in all weather and all terrain carrying stacks of mail. But the most enjoyable part was being outside, and not cooped up in an office.
Fast paced
mail handler (Former Employee), Madison, WiAugust 13, 2015
enjoyed my job and some of the people i worked with. Though everyday i was told was repetitive, there was always something different going on. Weather related issues could change the flow of inbound or outbound mail. If someone was out sick this changed how much more quickly we had to work. Repetitive yes, but always fun and a challange
Freedom
Mail Carrier (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 13, 2015
You are timed by your supervisor to get back to the office. But if you are not back a certain time they will send out another carrier to help with the route.
My Review
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee), Timonium, MDAugust 13, 2015
Typical day at work:
- Come in, gather mail (letters/packages), file mail according to case, deliver it
- Deliver expresses in a 'timely' matter

What you learned:
- better respect for the postal worker
- certain functions within the post office
- learn to create a route to get from point A to point B

Management:
- Trying their best

Co-Workers:
- Good natured

Hardest part of the job:
- Weather
- Time Management
- Lavatory so far away sometimes when on route

Most Enjoyable Part of the Job
- Work fast = get home faster
Enjoyable and productive place to work.
PSE Mail Processing Clerk (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 12, 2015
Everyday is busy and fast paced, constant moving. The days can be long if the mail volume is up. The best part of my job is the family environment. If I am having a bad or slow day and we are busy, I can count on someone to help me get through the day with a smile.
light and fast paced working environment
pse clerk (Current Employee), memphis, tnAugust 12, 2015
the job is pretty simple, an equal combination of on foot and sit down work. i enjoy it, stay to yourself no micromanagement . plenty of room for growth
stressful, no benefits
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee), Kamuela, HIAugust 12, 2015
Pros: compensation
Cons: no days off, no health benefits
Job can be very stressful, however you get to work outdoors and away from management. Get paid for a full day even if you get done early.
Industry