United States Postal Service

team work encouraged
safety is first priority
Open space work area
Mail Carrier (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 29, 2014
Pros: working outside
Cons: schedule varies, not able to take a lunch
I would report to work and separate the mail to go out for delivery. Then I would go out and deliver the mail in residential areas, and to business. The hardest part of my job is not having a set work schedule. I enjoy meeting new people, and the hospitality that you receive.
Fun productive place to work
Mail Handler and sorter (Former Employee), Elk Grove, ILAugust 29, 2014
Very fun place to work, to be apart of a company that has many great people that are there to help you and make your job enjoyable.
n/a
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee), Louisville, KYAugust 29, 2014
One of the best construction companies I had the pleasure working for.
Required attention to detail/no room for errors
Rural Route Carrier (Former Employee), Ann Arbor, MIAugust 28, 2014
Pros: talking to customers
Cons: delivering mail in the winter months
*Typical day is staying on schedule with assignment
*organizational skill
*Management great people.
*Co-workers very knowledgeable.
*Hardest part of job was the winter months delivering mail.
* The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to customers on mail route.
nice place to work
Janitor/Maintenance (Former Employee), Spokane, WAAugust 28, 2014
Pros: government job
Cons: couldn't stay there
long days with little pay but learned alot about the business. the bosses were nice to work with. no co-workers just postal employees. hardest part of the job was losing it. enjoyed the people i worked with everyday
Productive work place
City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee), Houston,TXAugust 28, 2014
• Routes or cases all classes of mail in sequence of delivery along an established route. Rearranges and relabels cases as required.
• Withdraws mail from the distribution case and prepares it in sequence for efficient delivery independently or by another carrier along an established route. Prepares and separates all classes of mail to be carried by – more... truck to rely boxes along route for subsequent delivery.
• Handles undeliverable mail in accordance with established procedures.
• Delivers mail along a prescribed route, on foot or by vehicle, on a regular schedule, picking up additional mail from relay boxes as needed. Collect mail from street letter boxes and accepts letters from mailing from customers; on certain routes may deliver mail that consist exclusively of parcel post, or the collection of mail.
• Uses portable electronic scanner as instructed
• Deposits in the post office mail collected on the route upon returning from the route. – less
Challenging
Rural Carrier (Former Employee), Olalla, WAAugust 28, 2014
Pros: good career
Cons: long days, stressful at first
The hardest part of the job is learning the routes, you start as a substitute so you have to learn up to 3 routes but could end up helping out others in the same day. Stressful demands and responsibility, but that is also what makes it fun. Management isn't always the best,majority of management has never been involved with delivery so conflict and – more... stress arises. – less
Generally, the U.S. Postal Service is a good place, but it has room for improvement.
Retired (Former Employee), Nashville, TNAugust 28, 2014
The U.S. Postal Service has historically been a good place to work, very good benefits, and generally dependable work hours. It has had a difficult time during the past 20 years with competition from the rise in email, texting, and social media.

I think it still serves a very useful purpose, but the work model will have to evolve to compete in the – more... 21st century. – less
Friendly atmosphere
mail handler (Former Employee), worcester maAugust 28, 2014
Real up beat fast paced, came in load unload trailers for about 3 hours then set up mail for the carriers . Co-workers where real friendly
productive and fast paced
Mail Processor/Flat Sorter Machine (FSM) Clerk (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAAugust 28, 2014
An average day of work is processing thousands of mail both incoming and outgoing mail to be delivered at each home or business six days a week. This business is a 24 hour 7 days a week operation.
Best job I had and made a carreer out of it
City Carrier (Former Employee), Vallejo, CAAugust 28, 2014
Pros: health benefits, vacation time
Cons: management on carriers all the time
Working at the Postal Service was very rewarding for me, as I learned how to case the mail and get it ready to deliver. I dealt with my customers on the streets and became friends with a few. I liked the fact that I can do some parts of the job inside and then go outside to finish the job. No one watching over me, I got the job done.
Hardest part of – more... the job was probably the weather and the high volume of mail around the holidays. It takes a tole on a person's body. – less
Challenging job that teaches a lot of skills
Sales/Service/Distribution Clerk (Former Employee), Lake Oswego, ORAugust 28, 2014
Learned lots of skills for working in an office type setting and customer service.
Everyday was a new experience with problems to be solved.
Maintenance- Retired (Former Employee), Plano, TXAugust 27, 2014
Pros: decent denefits
Cons: very intense pressure at all times, due to unions and lazy employees.
Worked hard and dedicated for 26 years. When working my facility I would of course start with the Lobby and front parking appearance.
When managing I would of course verify all Stations were covered adequately each day with proper personnel, then review Work Orders submitted, evaluated Priority of each.

I forgot to mention, before USPS, I was in Advertising/Marketing – more... for seven years. Radio/Television, and Advertising Agency. – less
Work place
Mail CA (Current Employee), Long Island City, NYAugust 27, 2014
Had a new employee at work.He wasnt very proffesional on the phone.So the doctor had requested to speak to a supervisor wich at that time i was name to become a supervisor.Hardest thing for me was how the doctor had the rite to scream,yelled at me because his pation did not recieved his product.As a supervisor that i was at that moment i had to apoligized – more... for what had happen that im here to help him out in anyways that i can.So,what i did was i send a special drivers to deliver the pkz express way so that his pation can be happy with his doctor.as well as the doctor can see we take pride of what we do.Thank God my driver got there on time,and was able to deliver his pkz in a very respect way and explaining to him how sorry we were as a company.Moment after we deliver the pkz i called the doctor to made sure if he recieved everything his pation was waiting for,and he replied back to me saying "YES AND THANK YOU! best moment about it,he saw how proffesional i was,how my driver was polite to him that it made him give us more work,and for me to handle any problems he had that we will def speak to me about anything. – less
Government Job
Process Clerk (Former Employee), Spokane, WAAugust 26, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: bad hours to start
Good pay and perks if you can get on. I enjoyed working with customers .
interesting place to work
City Carrier Assistant (CCA) (Former Employee), brooklyn, NYAugust 26, 2014
A change in environment was great. The process with simple, to have the mail delivered on time. Management was ok but their main concern was the mail and the employees interest did not seem to matter. The hardest part of the job was the environment and working conditions on the outside which one had to face, no matter the weather, mails had to be delivered.
delievered great customer service threw out the city
te mail carrier (Former Employee), Lawrenceville, NJAugust 26, 2014
Pros: great pay
Cons: the mail gotta be delievered rain, sleet, snow etc
this job was a good experience were I learned to manage my time in intervals
the hard part of this job was walking and carring news letters for a whole block
I learned how to sort and deliver mail to customers
I meet some awesome people who loved their jobs
the best part of the job was being on the street all day to make your own decision
Priority Mail
Mail Handler (casual) (Former Employee), Grenada, MSAugust 26, 2014
I worked nights and it was awesome I learned that there is more to mail then jus getting it out the mailbox
The importance of the DCBS machine is so that everyone get there correct mail and on time
I worked with a older crowd so I learned more and was attentive to learn new things from them
I enjoyed the fact that I was responsible for everyone waking – more... up to the mail on time and no delay Its was a great experience – less
A challenging fast-paced place to work
Postal Support Employee (Current Employee), Santa Ana, CAAugust 26, 2014
Pros: challenged daily
Cons: no sense of job security
A typical day for me starts out by setting up my work area to prepare for incoming parcels that I then sort into different carrying routes. After my work area is set up, I proceed to sort flats. Once the flats are spread, I begin sorting parcels. At the end of the day I deliver mail to P.O. boxes and I occasionally retrieve parcels for P.O. box customers.

I've – more... learned a lot about myself during the course of being employed with the USPS. I'm very well adapted to constant change. I can manage the time I have to do tasks effectively to completion. I've also learned that I work well in stressful situations.

I feel management in my particular office could be a little more professional. There is no place for gossip in the workplace, especially from a person holding a superior position. Management also needs to hold their employees to the same standard across the board.

The most difficult part of my job is working with the mail carriers once they arrive in the office. They constantly interfere with mail processing which makes it difficult to finish on time.

The most enjoyable part of my job is feeling proud of the organization I work for. – less

About United States Postal Service

The United States Postal Service (USPS) handles cards, letters, and packages sent from sea to shining sea. The USPS delivered some – Read more

United States Postal Service Photos