United States Secret Service Employee Reviews

Excellent Agency
Deputized Agent (Former Employee) –  Miami, FlJanuary 19, 2018
Great learning experience with exceptional management. Great educational opportunities with very polite and professional co-workers. Excellent place for training and growth.
Busy but good.
Special Agent - Pittsburgh Field Office (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC 20223January 17, 2018
It is a great career, but your time is not your own.

Great mission.

There some great people. Inside and outside of management.

Certainly not for everyone.
Great place to work at but very fast paced and stressful.
Special Agent (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 17, 2018
Great place to work at but very fast paced and stressful. The personnel working at the Secret Service are first rate and among the most talented and hard working individuals that I have ever worked with in the Federal Government. Working at the Secret Service is equivalent to being in the US Marines Corps, since you are consistently asked to go above and beyond the call of duty as a federal employee.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Long hours and having to work on weekends and holidays.
Terrible
officer (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCJanuary 14, 2018
TERRIBLE JOB IF YOU WANT A LIFE. you will never see your family and the overtime consumes your life. you will make a lot of money but you will not have time to spend it
Cons
No life
fantastic experiences
Physical Security Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC and Dallas, TxJanuary 7, 2018
I found the work at the United States Secret Service to be challenging, significant, and very rewarding. The USSS allowed me to travel all over the world, collaborating with many of the best and brightest individuals.
Pros
Travel
Cons
poor work life balance
Nice career for single person
SPECIAL AGENT (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 7, 2018
I have mostly enjoyed my time with the secret service while I was stationed in the Orlando Field Office. While there, I worked primarily financial criminal case work and it was pretty rewarding to see the cases from beginning to end. I had to perform protective duties from time to time which was ok because it often broke up the mundane days of report writing.

When I transitioned to full time protection, I felt like I was not as important as when I conducted cases because former presidents and former first ladies who are of the older breed don't really present a hazard for outside threats.
Pros
Great pay- advancement if wanted-variety of casework depending on office size
Cons
Pay cap (having to work for hours for which we won't get paid because of regulations
Abandon all hope ye who enter here
Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 5, 2017
Really this is all that needs to be said: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/12/15/secret-service/95432880/

Great place to work if you like being treated like a child and working an insane amount of overtime.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, Culture, Supervisors
Excellent management and productive work evironment.
Staff Assistant, GS-14 (Former Employee) –  Headquarters, WANovember 27, 2017
Excellent management and productive work evironment. opportunities were provided to learn, train, and gain invaluable work experience. Interaction with other organizations was encouraged and leadership opportunities abounded.
Pros
independence incouraged.
Cons
Lack of consistant training
Fast=paced job with high expectations and low salary
SPECIAL OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 23, 2017
Since I was past the hiring age for a usss special agent, I worked as a special officer, whose job entailed protection of usss facilities and employees. I was required to assist spacial agents frequently, however the pay and benefits were low due to the nature of the job.
Pros
Training, Exposure, Prestige
Cons
Low salary, Long hours
Toxic environment
Agent (Current Employee) –  Beltsville, MDOctober 20, 2017
This is the opposite of what a healthy work culture should be. Managers are not leaders and do not look after subordinates. It’s a very traditional, top down, micromanaging culture. Family is of no importance, and employee welfare is a foreign thought. People are treated like numbers. There is an insidious culture of distrust, self-interest, and poor morale and engagement.
Pros
Job security; get to see cool stuff and travel
Cons
Over worked; management; no balance
High paced, long hours, stressful
Inspector (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 16, 2017
The Motto for the Service is Hurry up and Wait. Its a great job if you are single and young. You definitely get to see the world, but it will come at a price. The immediate managers are not bad, but the executive managers are lacking vision and tend to micro manage too much. Its a great safe job with good benefits, but you will definitely have to work.
Pros
Good Money, security
Cons
long hours, tough conditions, stressful
Good Management, but the type of work wasn't for me
Social Science Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 30, 2017
Although this was a great opportunity, I found that this wasn't the type of work for me. I am grateful for the opportunity, and worked with a great group of people and had a great manager.
Pros
Generous benefit and leave package
Cons
Long days, long commute, not much to do.
Work Force overextended
Officer Counter Surveillance (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 5, 2017
Work is fun and fast paced, but there is not enough manpower to cover responsibilities. Plan to work long hours away from your family. Personal and professional development is hard to come by.
Pros
compensation and travel
Cons
work life balance
Brutal
Uniformed Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 27, 2017
Simply put, not a good place to work. The mission is a great one, but the management is terrible. Outside of the money and the mission, nothing else is worthwhile.
Pros
$$$, important mission
Cons
No life balance, awful management, poor working environment.
Great place to begin your career as an analyst
Senior Investigative Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 23, 2017
Challenging place to work. If you wind up getting assigned to a group like I did that is fast paced and mission oriented, you'll do well. The biggest disappointment is management's view of analysts. They are viewed often times as support and nothing but. This is an agency created by agents and for agents. Most, if not all, of the career development is established and well thought out but only for agents. That's the major downfall. In an agency where agents are often times mobile, the agency would do well to recognize the value of the continuity that analysts provide.
Pros
Structured, Family Oriented, Tight Knit Community
Cons
Analysts are not thought of as professionals nor are they promoted as such
Good career job with job security
Special Operations Division (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 9, 2017
Provides many opportunities for diversity in job preferences. Management is a work in progress. Hardest part of the job is making time for family and friends off duty. The most enjoyable part of the job is the amount of travel offered.
Pros
Great benefits; job security
Cons
Productive and fun work place
Assistant Special Agent in Charge (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 31, 2017
Productive and fun place to work. Investigate financial crimes committed against the banks. Work with good people. Variety of disciplines to work in like computers, polygraph, executive security and physical security.
Working as a contractor to develop key software
Sr. .Net Programmer / Technical Lead (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCJuly 9, 2017
Professional staff, high reliability and security are the normal routine. Very skills team members and interesting work. I am working on a temporary contract that may end in the next few months since we have completed many of our contract goals for my job.
Pros
Very interesting and important work
Cons
Wish I could smoothly transfer to another project once I have completed my tasks
Plenty of dedicated men and women
Officer/Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 6, 2017
During my time with the Secret Service really enjoyed the mission and the people I worked with Foreign Missions, White House and in Special Operations Branch. Plenty of room for advancement in the Uniformed Division as well as an 1811.
Not enough people
Protective Intelligence (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 28, 2017
Too many people leave and not enough are hired. It causes low moral and frustrated people. Hopefully new changes in the hiring process will bridge the gap.