United States Steel Employee Reviews

well paid steady hours
Utility Person (Former Employee) –  clariton paJune 20, 2017
I gained alot of experience at different jobs while working here. Good pay and descent benefits.Only problem was they treat you differntly if you have any type of medical condition and have to take sick and accident time.
Good place,with good pay.
Operating Technician ll/Finisher (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, ALJune 19, 2017
Over all work experience was good training and safety is one of the main goals of company.though management and employee relationship wasn't what it should be at times.
Pros
Good pay, healthcare.
decent job
HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Lone Star, TXJune 19, 2017
good pay too, many lay offs. never a set schedule may work 7 days straight for a year to 32 hrs a week. not very much room to move up but the pay is good.
Great Group of People
Technician (Former Employee) –  Lone Star, TXJune 16, 2017
I truly enjoyed my time with this company. If not for the layoff and eventual closure of the mill I worked in I would still be there today. Great benefits and pay.
Fun place at times but would be rough at times to.I
steelworker (Former Employee) –  FAIRFIELD ALABAMAJune 16, 2017
I enjoyed my job and the people I worked with. The jrough at times.Ob could be easy at times but it could also be rough. Just had t take the bad with the good.
Pros
Layed back enviroment
Cons
Had to eat on the run.
mistake. never again.
green horn (Current Employee) –  Granite City, ILJune 13, 2017
Unfogiving corperate big business mentality. work as hard, and as long as we want you to. (if the next shift shift doesn't show up we'll force you to work THEIR shift) worked coke ovens.
The job is what you make it
UTILITY PERSON/ SOLUTION TENDER/MET APPRENTICE (Former Employee) –  Gary, INJune 12, 2017
It's a good place to work if you're looking for stability. The money can be good depending on what department you go to. The down side is you need thick skin to work there.
Pros
Stability and benifits
Cons
A lot of management issues
Productive work place
Accountant III (Former Employee) –  Fairfield Highlands, ALJune 12, 2017
The experience was an overall good one due to pension, benefits, coworkers. However the management and advancement opportunities were the worst aspects of the job.
Production Technician
Overhead Crane Operator (Current Employee) –  Gary, INJune 11, 2017
I am currently breaking in as a roughing mill pulpit operator. Typical break-in time is 2 months, which I am on track to complete. The main thing is paying attention to each bar as it's produced to a coil. I take extreme pride it giving an honest day's work for an honest day's pay.
Pros
alot of overtime is involved
Excellent
Technical Training Consultant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 11, 2017
Excellent. I was a contractor and loved working there. What more do you need to know. The employees loved working there. The benefits are excellent and would recommend the company to anyone. I had to leave because my spouse was relocated.
Pros
excellent
No job life balance.
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Great Lakes WorksJune 9, 2017
The company believes in understaffing the plants and over-working the employees they do have. Swing shift is the most common shift, which provides one weekend off per month to spend with your loved ones. The company will take this weekend away from you as they see fit. Safety is a priority as long as it doesnt interfere with production. Management will ask amd even expect you to work unsafely. We have had mulitple deaths and injuries occur with frightening frequency. Training is poor. Management is inept at best. But you will make money whether you want to or not.
Talented Workforce
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Mt IronJune 7, 2017
I work with a very talented group of people. Far more complicated and demanding than I had anticipated when joining U.S. Steel. Good people to work with.
Pros
Talented staff
Cons
Work requires stamina
Lack of Management/Accountability
Change Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gary, INJune 7, 2017
The is a lack of management that take the responsibility and hold be accountable for their actions/decisions. Things change based on the management; there is no set direction; each division is ran very different;; it's understood they are different divisions and their processes are different; however, the process to manage employees should be the same. There is no kind of leadership. Stuck in their old ways and they do not want to grow with the present times.

People advance because their family keeps them there; they do not have the skills required, they just know the right people. And some managers sit in there office all day and do nothing, and no one seems to care, but they keep paying them.
Pros
Learned a lot of material about Lean Manufacturing to take somewhere else
Cons
No appreciation!
Good money, and benefits
Shipper (Former Employee) –  Gary, INJune 6, 2017
Good money, and benefits, will let you put up with a lot than you normally would. It's the people that you work with that makes working at US Steel better than what it really is.
If you don't have an outside life, this can be a good place to get experience and some money in your pocket. It is not a stable job.
Systems Repairman (Former Employee) –  Braddock, PAJune 6, 2017
Except for conflicting and medieval management policies, it is a challenging place to work. It is, for the most part, a noisy, dirty and hot environment but the pay and benefits are very good for a union setting. Safety is a big concern because of the dangerous nature of hot steel. There are programs in place to train people to the electrical and mechanical maintenance fields which are grade 4 pay positions. Also there is some reimbursement for outside tuition.
Pros
Lunches and breaks are included in the time, Advancement can be fast.
Cons
Only five paygrades, little incentive to excel, safety issues get blown out of proportion, no pay increases over the life of present contract, need a serious change to capable senior management!
I love the mental preparation the job required
Process Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, AlabamaJune 5, 2017
The hours are long but man is the pay worth it!! They make it so you don't mind putting in the hours that are needed. And the benefits are second to none! Amazing!! I would give anything to work there again...
Long Hours, No Family Life
Utility Technician (Former Employee) –  Lone Star, TXJune 4, 2017
No set schedule. Sometimes working sixteen hours a day (mandatory). Employer cares very little about family time and ethics. Sometimes employees work months at a time with no days off.
Pros
Good Pay, Good Benefits
Cons
No time off, Too Many rules and micromanagement
Watch your back
Pickling Manager (Current Employee) –  Gary, INMay 31, 2017
Everyone here is so freaked out all of the time that they will take any opportunity to stab you in the back, try and take your job away, or make themselves look good off of your hard work.
Pros
Money is good
Cons
Everyone stabs each other in the back at every turn....
Good job not sure how much longer it will be here
Millwright Mechanic (Current Employee) –  PottsburghMay 30, 2017
Love my job. But they aren't putting any money into the plant worried it may not be around much longer if they continue not making improvements. To worried about giving ceos tens of millions of dollars just for him to step down and his friend from caterpillar take over!!!
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Management is worried about bonuses not the future of the mill
Terrible job! Great pay
Utility Person (Former Employee) –  Ecorse, MIMay 18, 2017
Forced overtime. No days off. No sick days. Minimal vaction. If u work at us steel all u will ever do is work. The management is poor and they often require workers to perform unsafe tasks in unreasonable time constraints.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Steel. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9