United States Steel Employee Reviews in United States

Long hours, no work life balance
Shift Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Gary, IN 46402August 18, 2016
The hours are long, the work is difficult, the feeling of a job well done is often tinged by the fact that you still have a million other things to do. Change is very slow and money is always tight. The culture is stuck in a mind set that won't allow for future progress and growth.
productive and hands on work
MTM (Former Employee) –  Gary, INAugust 16, 2016
Daily we were given our work list and there was hardly a day that we did not have equipment to work on. I was able to learn how to manage my time and be able to fulfill my daily duties within a timely and safe fashion.
In the early years I worked there, noting but positive attitudes and production of some of the finest steel ever produced
Stocker/Shipper (Current Employee) –  Lorain, OHAugust 12, 2016
In the 1970s when I hired in there, it was a great place to work. The 1980s saw the formation of new Quality programs, such as Statistical Process Control, formation of teams created with the managers and wage roll employees called Quality Circle Teams. The teams helped to contribute to various ratings such as the Q1 rating and other quality awards signalling our efforts to continuous improvement of our products. However, a change in owners and management saw all of that dissappear in the coming years.
Pros
Good working environment, positive attitudes.
Cons
A change in management saw all of that dissappear.
Production line
Utility Person/ Bucking Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 10, 2016
Assembly line work for the oil and gas industry. Produced pipe used for the oil and gas industry. Worked a station on the assembly line 12 hours a day. Forklift operating, material handling, quality control.
working
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Gary, INAugust 8, 2016
a productive day a safe day how to do your job well management is there to help co-workers a good work averment multitasking doing something that I love to do making a deference
dirty but cool
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gary, INAugust 8, 2016
They provide quality service to staff and customers. Great leadership. Management provides ample training and support.
Saftey
Utility Technician (Current Employee) –  Gary, INAugust 5, 2016
Very dirty place. They do not respect seniority. Management will lie to your face. They sending all of their skilled workers to the labor gang and cut in their pay.
Pros
The benefits is excellent
Cons
Upper Management has no clue in whats going on
Depressing and Sad
Product Technology Intern (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIJuly 28, 2016
Working here was like watching my grandpa watch the TV on mute, it just seemed like there was a lot of things wrong, old and outdated with everything. Safety was not very well maintained as two people died in the plant in Zugg island during my tenure as an intern.
Pay was really good for interns, and the stress levels were pretty low, it just seemed like a lot of capital equipment was lacking and a lot of things could be improved or updated.
Pros
Pay for interns
Cons
Everyone was so downtrodden who worked there
Great place
Materials Specialist (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIJuly 17, 2016
Good place. Great people to work with. Flexible with their hours and days off. Great training process.Very good learning experience and knowledge gaining job.
Overall, a good company.
Utility Technician II (Current Employee) –  Granite City, ILJuly 14, 2016
Good company to work for, with great benefits. No opportunity for advancement or growth. Swing shifts are difficult on family life. Co-workers give a wide variety of personalities making workdays interesting. Dangerous conditions make safety a top priority. Learned accuracy is most important for production and customer satisfaction. Most enjoyable part of the job was the relaxed conditions in our department, including management trusting employees to be self-supervised.
Pros
Benefits, pay and independent working conditions
Cons
Rotating shift work, dangerous and no advancement opportunities
Great place to work with excellent benfits.
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILJuly 14, 2016
A typical day at work included cleaning various locations. I learned how to clean and disinfect multiple places. Management was trustworthy in that they trusted me to complete my job.
Was once a proud, productive cornerstone in Alabama manufacturing but poor upper management strategic planning has decimated the facility.
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, ALJuly 8, 2016
Was once a proud, productive cornerstone in Alabama steel manufacturing but poor upper management strategic planning has decimated the facility.
Pros
Above average benefits
Cons
Poor management direction, support and strategic planning
Productive workplace
Operator 3 ­ Craneman (Current Employee) –  Granite City, ILJuly 6, 2016
I learned how to work safely with others in an unsafe work environment. Trust co workers with safety. A lot of forced overtime, weekends, and holidays worked.
Very good place to work
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHJuly 1, 2016
I loved my job and the people,we were like a family we looked out for one another because it was dangerous work.I hate that we got laid off because of the economy.I am looking for a stable work and willing to learn all I can.
Pros
The pay was great
Cons
Hot in the summer and cold in the winter
Great place to work.
Stove Tender (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, ALJuly 1, 2016
Even though Pittsburg decided to close the Fairfield Works plant in Fairfield, Alabama it was still an awesome place to work. Great pay and benefits. The management were knowledgeable, and had some of the best co-workers to work with.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Closure of Fairfield Works
Challenging
United States & Germany Staff Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Gary, INJune 28, 2016
Knowing what had to be done and completed.
I learned everyday how to be more professional and skilled at my job
I respected and liked our management staff very much, because they knew what we were expected to do.
Liked working with my co-workers very much. With the many years we were together, we became very close.
The hardest part was working in inclement weather.
The most enjoyable was the comaraderie we felt working together.
Pros
The feel of successful completion
Cons
The nasty weather
Employment
Lathe Operator (Former Employee) –  White Hall, ARJune 25, 2016
I really enjoyed working there. Only thing I did not like were the lay offs. The supervisors were great and easy to get along with. I loved all of my co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work with people that you grew to know and love on several task that you have mastered.
Pros
Work hours, overtime, bonus
Cons
lay offs
Challenging postion, but rewarding
Shift foreman Utility department (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILJune 24, 2016
Currently laid off. I enjoy going to work and love the challenges that the utility dept encounters. Utilities department supplies steam, wind, and air and electric generatiom to the entire plant.
Pros
great employees that are dedicated
Cons
21 turn schedule
Federal mogul
Crane Operator ( ETOC Operator ) (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILJune 24, 2016
Enjoy my time there, supervisors were good people, employees were great , excellent benefits , Pay was decent, They moved the company to China, put a lot of people out of work.
productive
Utility tech (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, ALJune 22, 2016
the hardest part of this job is dealing with the heat i enjoyed working with the guys i supervised good fun !!!!!! !!!!!!!!

2.9