United Supermarkets Employee Reviews in United States

As An employee
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Shawnee, OKMay 17, 2016
As a union company where the employees have a say this was a great company to work for however the management was not . On a typical day come in clock in get my cash drawer training was horrible they just put you on the spot if asked for help on certain codes that weren't already written down for you others would get an attitude because you were the newby. I learned a lot about the codes and once inputed them they were easily remembered.
Cons
no breaks standing for long periods long shifts
Front End Supervisor; Lead Checker; Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Borger, TxMay 15, 2016
Standing 8 plus hours while scanning products.
Different kinds of personalities, attitudes. It was interesting. And patience.
Management was great for the most part. Small community, everyone knew each other. Management worked wonderfully with schedules.
Co-workers were amazing. Usually too busy for any issues.
Hardest part was being short handed. Especially during Christmas, Thanksgiving.
I loved counting down all the tils in the store (13 total) and getting the vault ready for next days bank deposit and balanced out for the evening.
Pros
Amazing co-workers, interesting customers
Cons
Short handed during busy season's
Great Job for a student.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Levelland, TXApril 25, 2016
United Super markets is great with their employees and are willing to be very flexible around ones schedule. great job for a student.
loved this job
Asst. Manager/ Head Decorater (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXApril 18, 2016
loved job and people there. The company was great the management was great the customers were great what I learned was the customer is always right not matter what
Pros
loved it
Cons
nothing
Great place but cliches
Pharmacy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burkburnett, TXApril 7, 2016
Worked with a great group of people. however was moved to a small department where manager had already been written up twice for gossiping about people. The head of the department did it as well, it was very unprofessional and I had to quit due to the invasion of personal privacy and unhealthy work environment.
Pros
Good Company
Cons
do not keep an eye on certain departments, no supervision over those departments
fun safe enviroment
sacker (Former Employee) –  Plainview, TXApril 3, 2016
clean fun environment. Great management co-workers. Always something to do or someone to talk to. Friendly people clean environment
Really good environment
Grocery Stocker (Current Employee) –  Brownwood, TXMarch 30, 2016
I've made so many friends working here, I'm always greeted when I come into work. The people they hire are a genuinely good group. Usually go, in either work backstock or get ready to unload a truck. Some of the management is good and some, not so much it just depends on the person. I usually work by myself to stock the store. The hardest part of my job is getting everything worked in time.
Pros
Good People, decent breaks, the job isnt too difficult
Cons
Not enough pay for the hours they work me, i often am kept passed my schedule time, management picks favorites.
Stressful
Cashier/Checker for a year (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMarch 28, 2016
Its nice with working around personal schedule but management makes things stressful when not needed. Many of the managers pick favorites among coworkers.
Pros
Works with personal hours
Cons
rude management
A family oriented company with good values.
Checker/Trainer/Assistant Living Well department (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXMarch 24, 2016
United Supermarkets is a great place to work. They work well with your schedule, whether it's multiple jobs or school. As any retail job goes, dealing with the public has its annoyances, but this is a great first job while going to school.
Pros
Easy jobs
Cons
Low pay, variable hours
Meat Markjet
meat market (Former Employee) –  Borger, TXMarch 17, 2016
y job consists of stacking and rotating of the Meat Market isle and twice weekly ordering and supply of the said items to maintain a full and productive isle for the crew
Decent Job for High School
Store Cashier (Former Employee) –  Enid, OKMarch 15, 2016
A typical day at work is checking out grocery items for the customers and taking their payment in an honest and polite manner. I learned to manage and count money. The management of the store was decent but the corporate members were too old-fashioned and not open to modern changes. My co-workers were fun and outgoing but handled their duties when on the clock. The hardest part of my job was having to work on the holidays. One of the most enjoyable perks of my job was making new friends and helping customers.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Short Breaks, Minimum Wage Pay
A part time job, so i can get some hours to try to pay bills
Sacker/ Maintance (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXMarch 7, 2016
Clock in at 5 p.m., start sacking for two hours. then start my cleaning duties.co-workers nice, management nice.nothing is really hard.
Pros
interacting with the customers and their kids.
Cons
Won't hire or promote full time.
Best thing that has ever happened to me
Cashier/Fuel Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMarch 2, 2016
I wouldn't be in college for business if it wasn't for working here. Not only did it give me a good understanding on business and dealing with people. But my managers and the people i came in contact with help make me the man i am today. I love this place so much that when i left it almost cried. I will be forever grateful for the knowledge and the memories they gave me.
Pros
Caring Managers, Great Opportunities to move up, Great work environment and Great excersize
Cons
Rude customers
Changed my Life
Assistant Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXMarch 1, 2016
Being part of the united family changed my life. The allow career advancement and several great benefits. United treats you like family not just an employee.
Pros
Great benefits
Great first job.
Point of Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Dumas, TXFebruary 9, 2016
United was a great first job. It helped me understand how to treat people with respect. This job allowed me to help people out any way i could.
n/a
Grocery Manager (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXFebruary 3, 2016
Wonderful company to work for. The people were great and upper management really cared about its workers. Pay just was not good enough.
Very friendly work environment, easy going co workers, enjoy interacting with customers.
Production Stocker (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXFebruary 2, 2016
Constantly saying busy. Don't believe in sanding around when work is slow, theres always something you could be doing, and i keep busy as much as possible.
social work place with many different people
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXJanuary 29, 2016
A typical day at work consists of checking and sacking groceries, talking to customers, and working at a timely pace. I've learned that some people are very specific whether it be how you sack their groceries to how you speak to them. I used to work at a different United also located on the same street as the one I work at now, and the management has changed drastically. I love the people I work with, they are a charm and I never had any problems becoming friends, they help each other when they see one is struggling or when a customer needs assistance. I do not think there is a hard part of my job, although the pace and crowd can be a little overwhelming for teens due to this being one of their first jobs. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with hundreds of different people everyday and building close relationships with them.
Cashier/bagger (Former Employee) –  Snyder, TXJanuary 18, 2016
I didn't really enjoy the positions I would do at United, they would promote high school kids before more experienced workers and the pay was not worth all the hard and long nights of work you had to put in.
Management Acknowledged ME!!
Food Service Lead (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJanuary 13, 2016
I used to work at the 548 location in the deli and I loved it. While there, I was given the opportunity to move up from a food service clerk to a food service lead. I had to opportunity to move up because my managers notice how well I worked with my guest and team members. During the three years I was there, I had so many customers that I knew by name, their order, and some parts of their life. Management also saw that if a team member was struggling with a task or needs the incentive to work, I was there to cheer them on. Being able to know I was recognized for my good customer service and my ability to make my team members stay on task without running over them makes me realize how much more I want to become a leader and open my own business in the future. As long as team members stayed on task, kept themselves busy, and treated guest with ultimate service, the job was well. With every good job, it has it's hard days. Sundays are most of the time the busiest during lunch due to Church letting out. Throughout the week, you might run into guest who come across unfriendly and not pleased with certain products or pricing. The best thing to do is do not argue back and try to fix the problem. If the problem cannot be solved, get upper management to help out to come up a solution. I will say that working at United was one of the best jobs I had due to the fact that after a while, you become familiar with your regulars and your team members become family to you. One thing else is they worked with my school schedule. I was working close to full time hours and going to school full time  more... but if I needed off due to school, they didn't hesitate to give me off because they knew school was a first priority. I loved working with United and it is a wonderful company to work for.Rather it be in the deli, produce, front end clerk, ect.  less
Pros
Discount on generic items, works with school schedule, had Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter off, benefits
Cons
Some management micromanaged, Some equipment needs upgrades