United Technologies Corporation

United Technologies Corporation Employee Reviews

Excellent place to work
Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAJanuary 19, 2017
Still an excellent place to work, It was better under Goodrich management but it's still a good place. The pay is good, the facilities need upgrading. The company is staffed with lots of very experienced manufacturing and design personnel, which is a rare find. They actually make things here as opposed to outsourcing everything.
Pros
Great pay, more relaxed pace than most
Cons
Poor Facilities
Friendly company to work for.
System Build Technician (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GADecember 10, 2016
Make progress on completing your assigned MRI camera to be shipped at the end of the month.
I learned analog and digital testing, troubleshooting and repair skills along with film development of computer images. The first 23 circuit boards where analog, the last 12 were digital. The camera head contained a vale of radioactive Co57 as the source with which the pre-amps and glass tubes were balanced against. The card rack had to be hand wired for needed jumper connections with a 440 volt power supply. Troubleshooting down to the defective part was crucial.
Gigantic Corporation
SAP Business Analyst - Supply Chain (Former Employee) –  Independence, OHNovember 10, 2016
UTC is a gigantic corporation. Being so large, there would appear to be ample opportunity for career advancement within and outside of its various business units. However, there appears to be favoritism at work, especially when considering UTC has grown as large as it has by buying other smaller corporations. Depending on where you started in the business, your career might be limited if you were a part of one of those acquired business units (see Goodrich).
Pros
Large company, multi-national, broad portfolio
Cons
Focused on stock price at expense of employee morale, Yes Man culture
Productive place with a lot of room to grow
Production Worker/ Machine operator (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIDecember 20, 2016
A typical day at unit is working first shift workng on press 8&42. Me and one other person besides the relief operater. The hardest part of my job was quality control. The most enjoyable part was insurance and overtime on the weekend.
Pros
Time and a half on saturdays and double time on sunday
Cons
The job relocate in 2001
Well Established company
Power Electronics Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJanuary 2, 2017
United Technologies was a wonderful experience for a young college student to get a feel of a future career as an engineer. The four years I worked as an engineer was an amazing and rewarding experience. I grew as a young adult and very skilled engineer.
Pros
growth opportunities, continuing education and benefits
Cons
the layoff
Nice place to work but they only want to work temp workers most of the time so they don't have to pay benefits
Technology Contractor (Former Employee) –  Lincolnton, NCNovember 9, 2016
I worked in the manufacture and technology department building circuit boards and working the AOI machine. We made circuit boards for a lot of technology systems.
Pros
Nice place to work
Cons
They don't want to hire people full time, only Temp workers and it takes years they say to get on full time.
High in productivity, family orientated facility.
Mgr, Mfg, /Prod/Ind/Mthds&Stds (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 25, 2017
Good company to work for. We produced high quality parts at this facility, not sure why it closed. When the team needed to produce, we rallied together to get the product out.
Pros
Family orientated at the Cleveland plant.
Cons
Plant closed, was one of the most productive buisiness units
Very strict work procedures and not stable employment
Manufacturing Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNOctober 20, 2016
The work environment was good with an emphasis on safety procedures and safe guards on equipment. I learned many manufacturing skills and what it takes to succeed. The plant employees are very friendly and helpful. The management however is not very helpful when it comes to advancement opportunities.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Very strict and poor benefits
Great internship at a well known company
Supply Chain Intern (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CADecember 14, 2016
I had a lot of different projects to work on including price analysis, negotiations with vendors, contract updates, long term purchase order tracking, and more! Excellent staff, everyone was very helpful and friendly. My manager was very knowledgable and provided me with opportunities to excel.
Exciting and interesting company, technical products.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILOctober 9, 2016
United Technologies, or as it was known when I worked there, Hamilton-Sundstrand, makes parts for the aviation industry. A typical day at work consisted primarily of meetings, presentations, and computer and telephone tasks. The management was hands-on and competent. My co-workers were friendly and inviting. I learned a great deal about Outlook, public speaking, and customer service. The hardest part of the job was ensuring effective communication between departments. The most enjoyable part of the job was customer service.
Pros
Working on cutting edge technology.
Cons
High security level.
Productive and fun place
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAJanuary 3, 2017
The management was very helpful. During my internship, there was a free ice cream cone machine so that was very nice. The technicians in the lab showed me a lot. I learned a lot about different tools and got to work with my hands numerous amounts of times.
Pros
free ice cream, great people, good compensation
Great people still work there from Goodrich, UTC is bad news.
Program Finance Team Lead/Sr. Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 20, 2017
I worked a UTC for 3 years after they bought Goodrich. Company is all about the next quarters numbers and it's not what you know, it's who's butt you kiss to get ahead
Pros
People are good
Cons
Management, hiring and promotion process
United Technologies is an outstanding corporation. I learned so much about finance and myself.
Specialist (Former Employee) –  East Hartford, CTSeptember 19, 2016
I had an exceptional career with United Technologies. I traveled and had experiences only one could dream of. I was laid off in December of 2008. I understand being a Financial Analyst why they laid off 7,500 salaried employees. Many had 25+ years. They could hire younger people pay them have the wage I was making and save the company a considerable amount of money. It's been a challenge finding suitable employment in this field. Unfortunately, I understand this happens with many individuals after working at UTC.
Pros
Travel, Award based, Pride to be a part of UTC
Clueless Management
Quality Technician (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CASeptember 6, 2016
The company suffers from severe nepotism and unfortunately hires supervisors who do not really understand the aspects of their area of responsibility. Apparently quality procedures are not mandatory but merely a suggestion to some. Management is overly obsessed with charts and graphs that do not reflect actual workflow. The mindset is severely "pro production" and supervision will try to find ways to side step quality processes to meet master schedule.
Pros
Pay is decent if you are union.
Cons
unethical management
Pay is good, that's it...
Technology (Current Employee) –  United StatesNovember 14, 2016
Salary is good. However, health benefits are THE WORST I've seen. Borderline illegal. Management is inefficient and is more focused on multiple international meetings rather than getting anything accomplished. This is definitely not a place for someone in the Software world. Be warned.
The Benifits are bad but there is lots of overtime to pay for them
Test Support Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 8, 2017
Its a good place to work if you don't mind working over 40 hours a week. The benefits are no good. Especially the health benefits. They did away with the pension plan.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Health Benefits
good place to work if you like overtime
Material Specialist (Current Employee) –  Huntington, INJanuary 14, 2017
I really like this job its fast paced, and there are opportunity's here unfortunately they are closing and I am going to be displaced, the work is not overwhelming but you do put in a lot of hours
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
not much home life
Best job I've ever had.
/Public Relations/Meeting Planner (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIAugust 29, 2016
This was wonderful company to work for and the job responsibilities were challenging. I enjoyed all of the projects - senior management conferences, developing and help design in conjunction with an outside contractor floor plans, product displays, exhibitry and graphics within corporate specifications for our trade show booth.
Decent place to work. Professional people.
Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  Heath, OHNovember 11, 2016
I can't give a good review. I mostly worked in a different building than most of my co-workers. But the time I did spend with them was a very professional experience.
Pros
Hours were good. Clean, quiet, working environment.
Cons
No job security.
good place
Chrome Plater/ finisher (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 22, 2017
always busy
able to learn different deparments
Managemant always around to help with whatever they could
family workplace
trying to learn so much different parts
getting along with everyone both salary and hourly

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Technologies Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

United Technologies Corporation Reviews by Location