United Technologies Corporation

United Technologies Corporation Employee Reviews

Very strict work procedures and not stable employment
Manufacturing Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNOctober 20, 2016
The work environment was good with an emphasis on safety procedures and safe guards on equipment. I learned many manufacturing skills and what it takes to succeed. The plant employees are very friendly and helpful. The management however is not very helpful when it comes to advancement opportunities.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Very strict and poor benefits
Well Established company
Power Electronics Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJanuary 2, 2017
United Technologies was a wonderful experience for a young college student to get a feel of a future career as an engineer. The four years I worked as an engineer was an amazing and rewarding experience. I grew as a young adult and very skilled engineer.
Pros
growth opportunities, continuing education and benefits
Cons
the layoff
Poor Planning, Zero Culture
Staff Analyst, Engineering (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 1, 2016
UTAS is a place for people who do not have any other responsibilities other than their job. If you are not looking for no work/life balance then this is the place for you.

Management is sub par at the most and do not plan well. They bleed their employees dry until they quit, get fired or laid off. They have no regard for Employee feedback and do not provide accurate information to the executive level leadership. Everything is critical and Program Managers do not follow schedule.
Pros
Great Education Packages
Cons
Subpar benefits, Management
Productive and fun place
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAJanuary 3, 2017
The management was very helpful. During my internship, there was a free ice cream cone machine so that was very nice. The technicians in the lab showed me a lot. I learned a lot about different tools and got to work with my hands numerous amounts of times.
Pros
free ice cream, great people, good compensation
Pay is good, that's it...
Technology (Current Employee) –  United StatesNovember 14, 2016
Salary is good. However, health benefits are THE WORST I've seen. Borderline illegal. Management is inefficient and is more focused on multiple international meetings rather than getting anything accomplished. This is definitely not a place for someone in the Software world. Be warned.
Amazing company to work for.
Warehouse Operations & Logistics Manager (Current Employee) –  Troy, OHDecember 4, 2016
one of the best company to work for. Great benefits and pay. Very good culture and vision. Company's SLT is very down to earth and approachable. if you are working for them, than don't quit.
Good pay and benefits
Manager (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLDecember 3, 2016
UTC had great pay and very good benefits. Management and organization was in constant re-org after re-org over which was stressful.
the management is helpful. seniors try to help juniors.
Supplier Quality Analyst co-op (Current Employee) –  Windsor Locks, CTSeptember 25, 2016
I have learned a lot about Excel and PowerPoint as we work extensively on both of them. Though some processes need overhauling.
Pros
managers are helpful, good compensation
Cons
no windows in the building
Good Company
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Foley, ALOctober 16, 2016
The pay is good, the medical benefits are not great for a world-wide organization. The company is stable and a Monday-Friday job with overtime opportunities.
Otis Elevator
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 14, 2016
Otis is an industry leader focused on providing a safe work environment for their field mechanics and reducing product liability by selling solutions to customers and being selective in which elevators they allow into their portfolio.
Starting pay is competitive, but annual increases are based on the management's subjective opinion. If you want an actual raise, you must have negotiating leverage.
Software systems are out of date which can be frustrating if you are on the customer service or operations management side.
Pros
flexibility in terms of hours and being in the office
Cons
systems are frustrating, operations and sales employees often do not get along which creates a tense work environment
a great place to work, benefits are super
Designer (Former Employee) –  Windsor Locks, CTSeptember 11, 2016
I finished my degrees thru the UTC scholar program, worked 26 years, laid off after most work got outsourced away from our group UI
Pros
good pay, benefits
Cons
na
Bureaucratic, Suppresive culture,
Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  East Hartford, CTApril 30, 2016
At one time, UTC was a company that encouraged employees to grow opportunities and become more versatile and valuable to the company. Over the last few years, the company has taken the focus off employee growth and training. It is a decent place for young people to get a start, but it is not a company to stay with for the long term. Get some experience and get out.
Pros
Competitive compensation. Access to latest technology
Cons
People are not recognized as people
I wish I was still with UTC
Anonymous former employee (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 8, 2016
United Technologies is truly the best company at which I have been employed. They understand the concept of work/life balance and reward their employees handsomely.

Further, their employee scholar program is the best! There is no excuse for not getting your education if you work at UTC. Even in a layoff after a business relocation, the company gave its laid off employees four years of education.

I am proud to say I was a UTC employee and wish I still was!
Pros
Employee scholar, great benefits, good pay, good work/life balance
Cons
Wish there was more opportunity for advancement.
Gigantic Corporation
SAP Business Analyst - Supply Chain (Former Employee) –  Independence, OHNovember 10, 2016
UTC is a gigantic corporation. Being so large, there would appear to be ample opportunity for career advancement within and outside of its various business units. However, there appears to be favoritism at work, especially when considering UTC has grown as large as it has by buying other smaller corporations. Depending on where you started in the business, your career might be limited if you were a part of one of those acquired business units (see Goodrich).
Pros
Large company, multi-national, broad portfolio
Cons
Focused on stock price at expense of employee morale, Yes Man culture
Good placeto work
Team leader (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAJune 24, 2016
Extremely busy and a lot of hours. Good management. Union shop employees can be difficult to manage. Health benefits not to good extremely high cost.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
union shop
Planner
Planner / Shipping Documentation Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAJune 17, 2016
Good Company. Benefits aren't that great. Management is finally making a difference in the company. Headed in a good direction.
Negative Environment
Customer Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 18, 2016
Most employees are extremely unhappy with the culture, but stay due to financial obligations. Management does not keep employees informed on changes in the organization.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Sales pressure for end of month sales
Fast paced, productive lace to work
commodity Manager (Current Employee) –  Windsor Locks, CTApril 5, 2016
A very fast paced environment with ample room to grow. Various divisions to relocate to as UTC is a Fortune 50 company. Management style is aggressive but fair.
Pros
Benefits, education, work life, people
Cons
hours
good people to work with
Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 4, 2016
I like my manager and co-workers.
Helpful environment.
The most enjoyable part of my job is when we have a successful EVA mission.
The most unfavorable part is when there are sudden unplanned scheduled changes, but even that usually is not that bad.
Pros
good hours
Cons
health benefits
United Technologies is an outstanding corporation. I learned so much about finance and myself.
Specialist (Former Employee) –  East Hartford, CTSeptember 19, 2016
I had an exceptional career with United Technologies. I traveled and had experiences only one could dream of. I was laid off in December of 2008. I understand being a Financial Analyst why they laid off 7,500 salaried employees. Many had 25+ years. They could hire younger people pay them have the wage I was making and save the company a considerable amount of money. It's been a challenge finding suitable employment in this field. Unfortunately, I understand this happens with many individuals after working at UTC.
Pros
Travel, Award based, Pride to be a part of UTC

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Technologies Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

United Technologies Corporation Reviews by Location