United Way Employee Reviews in United States

Productive Volunteer Environment
Loaned Executive (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IAJuly 7, 2016
Examine a number of options withing a Charity environment can be rewarding and satisfying. The purpose is relating decision making in the business world and communities to understand the greater good..
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
Wages
Austin UW has a terrible work environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 9, 2016
I can't speak for other United Ways across the county, but the United Way in Austin, TX is financially unstable. The managers are only interested in advocating for their own jobs when budget cuts are a possibility, which is frequently. Staff are given extremely heavy work loads with few to no opportunities for advancement. Many of the staff exude a general sense of unhappiness.
Pros
Many non-management staff are good people stuck in bad jobs
Cons
Generally working for this organization
This was a volunteer position, not a job
Volunteer Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Down Town HoustonJune 1, 2016
It's great working over there helping out families so that they can file their tax returns. Typically you just sign in and help prepare tax returns and then you sign out when you'd like.
Providing education and enrollment services to targeted population.
Bilingual Navigator (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 14, 2016
I learned about the Affordable Care Act, specifically the eligibility component.

What I found the most enjoyable was to educate Clients about the ACA, as well as to providing answers to Clients that were not able to enroll due to lack of information.
Medicaid
Medicaid Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 10, 2016
To assist callers by responding to applicants and recipients of Medicaid Programs and the general public regarding Medicaid Programs.
· Responds to questions, records/makes reported changes, and acts appropriately on reported changes in a timely and accurate manner.
· Provides interagency and interagency communication relative to telephone contacts to facilitate appropriate action on information reported through the centralized Contact Center process.
· Responds to county, community, client and other requests regarding Medicaid Programs.
· Participate in activities to maintain individual and Contact Center certification including in-service training and continuing education opportunities.
· Stay current in awareness and working knowledge of resources identified through local Medicaid, state Medicaid offices and other sources regarding the availability of community resources.
Pros
1 hour
Cons
two 15 mins break
Caring flexible people who work to get the job done!
Consulting & Internship, Windham Cty United Way (Former Employee) –  Brattleboro, VTApril 19, 2016
It feels good to be part of the solution and the United Way offers fun camaraderie type experiences to get the job done! Enjoyable and challenging at the same time.
Great!
Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 5, 2016
Great place to work! My only complaint is that I can't work there full-time as they have a limited budget. Otherwise, amazing people and great environment.
that was the most geart job i had when you make people problems very easy
Manager (Former Employee) –  Canoga Park, CAMarch 30, 2016
I work for this company and I feel so good every day about what I'm doing because I was always help people needs and make it easy for them , that is the most beautiful feeling when you make some one life easier and happier
Pros
geart time
Cons
geart time
Work place
EAP Intake Specialist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 17, 2016
My daily function at EAP/ United Way is to meet and greet potential applicant and gather information need to complete the application part for Energy Assistant Program. Conducts initial and reoccurring certification to participant low income family, Educating new and continuing applicants about the Federal funded block grant and informing families of their income eligibility for the Energy Assistance Program (EAP), Assessing families for the program, Collecting required documentations for EAP determining eligibility
Process mail- in and appointment applicants in RIAA and Maxxcloud, Conduct timely and accurate determination of household eligibility for benefits and Maintain accurate files for compliance of Federal regulation and under contact with IHCDA-Indiana Housing Community Development Authority.
Pros
meeting people in need of assistant
Cons
no health insurance, job last 8 month grant funded and salary
A place to conversate, make friends, and organize brochures.
Seasonal Campaign Worker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 10, 2016
A typical day at work would be counting, sorting, and filing papers. I learned how to take care of my cardiac health, and how to professionally dress. The managers were somewhat easy going; the co-workers were older than I was and therefore set examples of how a person should work and behave in a professional setting. The hardest part of the job was continuing to work for the multiple hours of attendance because of the ritual repetition of routinely looking at paper. Even still, I enjoyed the presence and company of my co-workers who gave me their companionship.
Knowlwdge filled work place
Case Management (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 8, 2016
This is the biggest non profit in the U.S. and I am privileged to have began my journey with them. I have learned a lot since being employed with this agency, the staff and management were amazing to work with.
Pros
Getting to interact with multiple non profit agencies, and to see that the non profit worl is a world of it's own.
okay
Americorp (Current Employee) –  Kingwood, WVFebruary 25, 2016
it was honestly not a hard nor bad job if you are a talking on the phone kind of person, if you aren't social or a people person, i would not recommend honestly
It's a great company and I enjoy working with and helping others.
Volunteer Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, FLFebruary 22, 2016
Lake Cares Food Pantry, Summer Recreational Center, and the United Way are great companies and I truly enjoyed doing something to give back to my community.
Love helping people in need.
AARP training at United Way Montcalm - Ionia (Current Employee) –  Fenwick, MIFebruary 16, 2016
Answering phone, answering questions from clients. helping with office projects. Learning computer skills, Co worker are very helpful. Hardest part of the job, is hearing the needs of the public in need of help. Best part of the job is being able to lead people to resources that may help them.
Great Place to work for and enjoyed the team work
Pledge Processing Admin (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAFebruary 10, 2016
Great place to work for as it is one of the best non-profit organizations in the United States. It was a lot of hard work but very enjoyable. Great place to enhance your career as they tend to promote within based on work performance!
Pros
free lunches
Cons
The company would let us participate in differ events during the year.
Administrative/Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 18, 2016
The previous employers provided some kind of service. One provided Social Services to the community so they wouldn't have to travel to downtown for Public services. It was enjoyable and you met a lot people during the year.

Another was providing childcare and differ events
while parents worked. That was also a service that was enjoyable taking care of children. The other was also a service of agents selling insurance to clients of all ages for life, health and retirement.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Howard County, INJanuary 14, 2016
The United way is a charitable organizations focuses on identifying and resolving pressing community issues. I enjoyed volunteer my time as a receptionist with this organization. Management and co-workers were determined to make a difference in lives of the people through partnerships with schools, businesses and others for fulfill a need in the community.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Caring Company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYDecember 27, 2015
I inputted all of the donations that came in through the mail and would help people in need locate the correct resources to call for much needed help
Pros
Healthcare and full benefits even though it was a parttime position
Working for House of Manna
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Dickinson, NDDecember 10, 2015
It was extremely humbling to be able to help the needed. It shows us the humanity of anything and anyone who can get into the situation. Everyone has their own story and sometimes all they want is an ear to hear what the issue is, and many times you know of or we know how to assist them. There are ways that they didn't even know about. It’s rewarding and humbling.
Pros
Helping others
Cons
Seeing the pain in people
what i learned
Intern (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 19, 2015
this job showed me how a cooperation is ran and managed. I would help work on some of their projects and i ran the stock room. taught me how to work with others and it also taught me how to work in an office environment.
Pros
Downtown Portland
Cons
didnt get paid

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Way. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3