United Way Employee Reviews

Productive work place where people are working hard creating opportunities for a better life for all its citizens in the community.
Intern at United Way (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, SCAugust 2, 2014
A typical day at United way is a day of people being persistent, and having the drive to push an issue so that goals are accomplished. While working for United Way, I acquired the knowledge, skills, and attitude needed to become a professional, while learning the value of professionalism. I learned how to communicate effectively and interpersonally while working with others outside the parameter of the organization, and within it. I gained a great deal of knowledge about the organization and the knowledge needed to succeed personally and professionally in the organization. Through my supervisor at United Way I gained administrative, marketing, critical thinking, active listening and speaking skills. United Way convinced me that it takes being pleasant to others, displaying good-nature and cooperative attitude in order to receive the respect from those I am working with or helping. However, while working for United Way, the hardest part of the job is knowing that there are people in need or having a crisis, and you can't help them all right away or at all. On the other hand, the most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you are showcasing good citizenship because your daily job consist of you having the drive, and the enthusiasm to push issues, in which you strive to improve citizens life daily.
Great company
Information and Referral Specialist (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 15, 2014
United Way of Anchorage is a great company to work for. A typical day at work for me is coming in and checking email and voicemails and making appropriate call backs and replies to emails.
I have a learned a lot of useful information about agencies and companies within the State of Alaska. I have also learned a lot about information and referral and maintaining a resource database.
Since I work in a call center I work very closely with a small amount of people, four of us including me, and we have a director who is very supportive.
The hardest part of my job is having to be the one to tell people there are no resources available to help them in their situation. Another difficult aspect of my job is that I feel unchallenged, and have a desire to have more responsibility and excel further in my career and unfortunately United Way does not have that to offer for me.
The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to assist people with resources that are available to them, and also to make connections and relationships with service providers in our great state.
Refuse to ever support this company
I & R Specialist (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJune 29, 2013
I refused to support the United Way. I worked at one of their programs that was severely underfunded and management kept tackling more & more tasks to employees without anything in return. There were no benefits for the job. If you had to take a day off, then you had to lose on the pay. The stress was unbelievably high! This is a job I took as a Part Time position and I could not believe how high the stress was. Management did not care and refused to listen to employees ideas on how to improve the work place. The only thing worth it was the pay until they started laying off those who made the most, in return for hiring lower paying individuals. UW is a joke. The CEO makes just under 300k and no non profit CEO should ever make that MUCH!
Pros
pay was decent
Cons
no benefits, uncaring management, toxic environment, stressful
A wonderful place to work for a good cause
Director Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo,NYJune 28, 2012
A typical day at United way was always busy. The day started off with filing records from the previous day. Recording the pledges into the computer system. Recording the amounts that was giving for donations. After all the records was entered into the system. The Directed and I worked closed together. I had to write and send thank you letters out to many corporation. I also entered information into spread sheets for the director. The hardest part of my job was making sure that the donations matched the amount on the folder to the amount in the system to the amount that was actually donated. That was the hardest part and the most enjoyable. Just to be apart of an organization that shows you everyday that people do care and we can make a difference was a GREAT experience.
Nurses Aide, taking care of a patient in which he was bed ridden and could not do anything for himself.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Wooster, OHJanuary 30, 2013
Complete care of the patient, cooking and feeding him, Complete care of the Laundry, light housekeeping, Using a lift to take him in and out of bed, Short walk in a wheelchair, if the weather permitted in the afternoon before putting him back in bed. I learned what it was like for a person whom was very active, (like my husband), to never be able to communicate or do anything for himself. Co-workers, there were none. The hardest parts were using the lift to put him in his wheelchair and out of bed, and to see what a good and active man so helpless. The most enjoyable part, I guess was being able to help and care for the patient, and being there for his wife, Whom loved and cared for him.
Pros
the assurance of a job well done.
Cons
no benefits
REWARDING EXPERIENCES BY ASSISTING THOSE IN NEED IN MORE THAN ONE WAYS
Medical and Legal Interpreter/Translator (Former Employee) –  MARLBOROUGH, MADecember 6, 2012
(note) The United Way just recently took over the Old Marlborough Community Services (MCSI), I never worked for United Way directly.

In a typical day at work, it varied every day, different persons, different needs, but always a smile afterwards and a thank you.

I learned to be more patient and to appreciate the different problems to be resolved in pro of other people's needs.

Management were always willing to cooperate in resolving the patient's needs.

My co-workers always with a smile an eager to assist.

Never hard, sometimes slower but never hard

The most enjoyable part of the job was the opportunity to help other in their problems by assisting them with their language barriers.
I enjoyed having the opportunity to work with the community
Manager (Former Employee) –  ARJuly 10, 2015
I learned a lot about our community working at United Way. We had working relationships with nonprofits in the area to help promote their work through company campaigns to raise funds for Northwest Arkansas. We understood the statistics for needs in our area and was able to communicate that to businesses in Northwest Arkansas to help build a strong community.
I personally had the opportunity to work with companies to help create volunteer projects for teams of employees and work with the nonprofit agencies to find the right fit for the company requests for a team building/volunteer project.
Pros
Opportunity to meet a lot of people, get to know nonprofit work
Cons
low compensation, heavy work load
Not an accurate portrait.
volunteer teacher to lo income communities (Former Employee) –  Anaheim CaliforniaJuly 11, 2015
I have many years experience as a nurse. I began was an emergency room nurse, passed through the ranks aa a Director of a Trauma Center. Then I made a change to the Operating Room in order to accommodate my return to school.

I ended up getting a Masters Degree in Public Health and began to teach Anatomy and Physiology, Biology and Clinical Nursing. I am semi-retired and would like to teach clinical nursing, CNA,s or CCMA's. I have my CCMA Certificate.

My classes are always filled because I am a good teacher. I believe the students should be elevated, not intimidated. I have fun teaching and can adapt to any environment in the teaching arena.
Pros
Good Equipment
Cons
Scheduling Back to Back classes
A very warm and inviting company with creative freedom.
Front Desk Volunteer Staff Supervisor/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDAugust 12, 2014
The work days are usually very active withthe staff completing a pre-set agenda.

Team work and time management is the key to getting the days work done.

The employees are all dedicated to giving 100% effort to the company and we all work well together.

The challenge is planning an event at sometimes a moments notice, Customers find us and need us immediately to execute a party plan with little time to do it.

The best part of being apart of a creative business is your mind is full of imagination and you get to use it. Ideas spring up and come to life, even at the last minute to deliver an awesome event.
Excellent experience for networking
Loaned Associate (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INJune 10, 2013
A typical day would begin by planning an organized route to approach potential donators. I learned to have more compassion for people who have absolutely nothing. I also learned how many people in this community are in need of help, as well as, how many kind-hearted people there are in the community willing to give. I very much enjoyed working with management and my co-workers. The hardest part of the job would have been being turned down, due to the state of the economy. The most enjoyable part was meeting new people, the joy of receiving donations, and the get-togethers we had. It was a great experience!
Cons
no health care, and the job was seasonal
Goal Oriented
Operations Manager, Community Investment (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 20, 2012
Very fast paced day to day activities and a lot of collaborative work and continuous communications. I've learned to work independently as well as with a team. Working here has helped me develop skills that allow me to handle high volume work loads, manage relationships internally/externally at various levels and across different sectors, trouble shoot and provide resolution, manage various data systems, use several micro soft applications with high proficiency, and to be adaptable even under the most strenuous circumstances.
Pros
the relationships you build
Cons
extremely fast paced
The company would let us participate in differ events during the year.
Administrative/Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 18, 2016
The previous employers provided some kind of service. One provided Social Services to the community so they wouldn't have to travel to downtown for Public services. It was enjoyable and you met a lot people during the year.

Another was providing childcare and differ events
while parents worked. That was also a service that was enjoyable taking care of children. The other was also a service of agents selling insurance to clients of all ages for life, health and retirement.
Very Producative and exciting place to work
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Lapeer, MIOctober 1, 2014
A typical day would be answering phone calls, filing paper work, taking messages, greeting clients, assisting people on where to get assistance, directing phone calls and copying paperwork. I learned there is so many places for people to get all kinds of assistance. My co-works were very friendly, very enjoyable to work with each and every day. The most enjoyable part was going to work each and everyday knowing I could help people.
Pros
hour long lunches
Cons
healthcare and short term postion
A nice place to work at
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJanuary 9, 2013
the work day consisted of anwereing phone calls from people that needed assistance with rent, utilities, food and medical care.
I learned to be able to refer clients to other agencies of assistance.
Management was nice and helpful with any questions I had.
Co-workers were nice. The hardest part of the job was having to tell the caller that there were no funds available. the most enjoybale was when we were able to help a family with food and money for rent.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not being able to help every call
Good Experience
United Way of Lake County Intern (Former Employee) –  Grayslake, ILFebruary 8, 2014
I was able to organize a book drive with two other friends and a goal of 1,000 books. I was left to collect the books in whichever manner I chose, so I only met with my supervisor a few times. For the drive, I participated in a fourth of July parade to advertise, organized a face painting stand at a neighborhood block party to collect books, and set out bags in neighborhoods to collect books as well. We ended up meeting our quota and the books were given to underprivileged children in the county.
Quite and Productive work environment
Intern Student/ I&R Specialist (Former Employee) –  monroe,la,usaJuly 1, 2015
a typical day at work consist of addressing the needs of the community by connecting them to an agency who can of better assistance to them. The hardest part about the job was having to explain to helpless people that there were no resources to help them in their time in need. The most enjoyable part was when there were resources available and i was able help make a difference.
Pros
free lunch, field trips to partner companies
Cons
boring at times, no benefits
United Way
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Zanesville, OHJune 11, 2013
I love this company. I am able to sit here answer the phones and direct people to where they need to go or call to get help! I love working for a company who helps the community!
Not only that my manager has been VERY understanding of the issues going on with my son and has allowed me to take the time when I need to whether it's last minute notice or a week notice. Very appreciative of this work.
Pros
works with my school schedule
Cons
this is a work study job through school, so i won't be here after my time is up.
Organization that provides a learning experience for teens - adults
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLJuly 6, 2015
Volunteering at United Way was a great way for me to experience different types of work settings/environments while providing me necessary skills and work ethics. I was able to meet different types of volunteers of all ages and backgrounds. You get to have opportunities exposed to you - familiar and new - and you can plan them days to a month prior to when they're active, so it fits your planning/scheduling.
B2B marketing experience
Marketing Campaign Representative (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILApril 10, 2012
At United Way I learned how to coordinate marketing events while also being able to raise money for charity. I was able to put together B2B presentations and also headed the silent auction. The most enjoyable part of the job was being given the opportunity to manage my own days and work independently. The hardest part learning how to convey United Way's message to each business during the first couple weeks.
Staff most apprecitive of what volunteer work you can do.
VITA/TCE Tax preparer (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJuly 1, 2013
United Way staff were always accommidating while you were volunteering. Everyone was so happy doing whatever needed to be done so clients getting there Income Taxes prepared felt special also. I plan to volunteer my time again. It was a gratifying experience to give back to the community.
Pros
free lunch while working, luncheon when tax season over, dinner cruise in la harbour

4.3