United Way Employee Reviews in United States

Work place
EAP Intake Specialist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 17, 2016
My daily function at EAP/ United Way is to meet and greet potential applicant and gather information need to complete the application part for Energy Assistant Program. Conducts initial and reoccurring certification to participant low income family, Educating new and continuing applicants about the Federal funded block grant and informing families of their income eligibility for the Energy Assistance Program (EAP), Assessing families for the program, Collecting required documentations for EAP determining eligibility
Process mail- in and appointment applicants in RIAA and Maxxcloud, Conduct timely and accurate determination of household eligibility for benefits and Maintain accurate files for compliance of Federal regulation and under contact with IHCDA-Indiana Housing Community Development Authority.
Pros
meeting people in need of assistant
Cons
no health insurance, job last 8 month grant funded and salary
Caring Company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYDecember 27, 2015
I inputted all of the donations that came in through the mail and would help people in need locate the correct resources to call for much needed help
Pros
Healthcare and full benefits even though it was a parttime position
I enjoyed having the opportunity to work with the community
Manager (Former Employee) –  ARJuly 10, 2015
I learned a lot about our community working at United Way. We had working relationships with nonprofits in the area to help promote their work through company campaigns to raise funds for Northwest Arkansas. We understood the statistics for needs in our area and was able to communicate that to businesses in Northwest Arkansas to help build a strong community.
I personally had the opportunity to work with companies to help create volunteer projects for teams of employees and work with the nonprofit agencies to find the right fit for the company requests for a team building/volunteer project.
Pros
Opportunity to meet a lot of people, get to know nonprofit work
Cons
low compensation, heavy work load
Medicaid
Medicaid Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 10, 2016
To assist callers by responding to applicants and recipients of Medicaid Programs and the general public regarding Medicaid Programs.
· Responds to questions, records/makes reported changes, and acts appropriately on reported changes in a timely and accurate manner.
· Provides interagency and interagency communication relative to telephone contacts to facilitate appropriate action on information reported through the centralized Contact Center process.
· Responds to county, community, client and other requests regarding Medicaid Programs.
· Participate in activities to maintain individual and Contact Center certification including in-service training and continuing education opportunities.
· Stay current in awareness and working knowledge of resources identified through local Medicaid, state Medicaid offices and other sources regarding the availability of community resources.
Pros
1 hour
Cons
two 15 mins break
Austin UW has a terrible work environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 9, 2016
I can't speak for other United Ways across the county, but the United Way in Austin, TX is financially unstable. The managers are only interested in advocating for their own jobs when budget cuts are a possibility, which is frequently. Staff are given extremely heavy work loads with few to no opportunities for advancement. Many of the staff exude a general sense of unhappiness.
Pros
Many non-management staff are good people stuck in bad jobs
Cons
Generally working for this organization
Quite and Productive work environment
Intern Student/ I&R Specialist (Former Employee) –  monroe,la,usaJuly 1, 2015
a typical day at work consist of addressing the needs of the community by connecting them to an agency who can of better assistance to them. The hardest part about the job was having to explain to helpless people that there were no resources to help them in their time in need. The most enjoyable part was when there were resources available and i was able help make a difference.
Pros
free lunch, field trips to partner companies
Cons
boring at times, no benefits
A place to conversate, make friends, and organize brochures.
Seasonal Campaign Worker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 10, 2016
A typical day at work would be counting, sorting, and filing papers. I learned how to take care of my cardiac health, and how to professionally dress. The managers were somewhat easy going; the co-workers were older than I was and therefore set examples of how a person should work and behave in a professional setting. The hardest part of the job was continuing to work for the multiple hours of attendance because of the ritual repetition of routinely looking at paper. Even still, I enjoyed the presence and company of my co-workers who gave me their companionship.
Knowlwdge filled work place
Case Management (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 8, 2016
This is the biggest non profit in the U.S. and I am privileged to have began my journey with them. I have learned a lot since being employed with this agency, the staff and management were amazing to work with.
Pros
Getting to interact with multiple non profit agencies, and to see that the non profit worl is a world of it's own.
Great Place to work for and enjoyed the team work
Pledge Processing Admin (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAFebruary 10, 2016
Great place to work for as it is one of the best non-profit organizations in the United States. It was a lot of hard work but very enjoyable. Great place to enhance your career as they tend to promote within based on work performance!
Pros
free lunches
Cons
that was the most geart job i had when you make people problems very easy
Manager (Former Employee) –  Canoga Park, CAMarch 30, 2016
I work for this company and I feel so good every day about what I'm doing because I was always help people needs and make it easy for them , that is the most beautiful feeling when you make some one life easier and happier
Pros
geart time
Cons
geart time
Providing education and enrollment services to targeted population.
Bilingual Navigator (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 14, 2016
I learned about the Affordable Care Act, specifically the eligibility component.

What I found the most enjoyable was to educate Clients about the ACA, as well as to providing answers to Clients that were not able to enroll due to lack of information.
The company would let us participate in differ events during the year.
Administrative/Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 18, 2016
The previous employers provided some kind of service. One provided Social Services to the community so they wouldn't have to travel to downtown for Public services. It was enjoyable and you met a lot people during the year.

Another was providing childcare and differ events
while parents worked. That was also a service that was enjoyable taking care of children. The other was also a service of agents selling insurance to clients of all ages for life, health and retirement.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Howard County, INJanuary 14, 2016
The United way is a charitable organizations focuses on identifying and resolving pressing community issues. I enjoyed volunteer my time as a receptionist with this organization. Management and co-workers were determined to make a difference in lives of the people through partnerships with schools, businesses and others for fulfill a need in the community.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Productive Volunteer Environment
Loaned Executive (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IAJuly 7, 2016
Examine a number of options withing a Charity environment can be rewarding and satisfying. The purpose is relating decision making in the business world and communities to understand the greater good..
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
Wages
a wonderful opportunity to learn about your community
Director of Community Outreach (Former Employee) –  Opelousas, LAMay 19, 2015
It was a GREAT experience to know how other non-profit agencies operate on a daily basis. Meeting other CEO's during campaign season was such a leaning experience. You get a an opportunity to visit plants, distribution centers, and many large corporations.
Pros
great community partnership
Cons
no benefits; bare minimum compensation, low wages
This was a volunteer position, not a job
Volunteer Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Down Town HoustonJune 1, 2016
It's great working over there helping out families so that they can file their tax returns. Typically you just sign in and help prepare tax returns and then you sign out when you'd like.
Caring flexible people who work to get the job done!
Consulting & Internship, Windham Cty United Way (Former Employee) –  Brattleboro, VTApril 19, 2016
It feels good to be part of the solution and the United Way offers fun camaraderie type experiences to get the job done! Enjoyable and challenging at the same time.
Love helping people in need.
AARP training at United Way Montcalm - Ionia (Current Employee) –  Fenwick, MIFebruary 16, 2016
Answering phone, answering questions from clients. helping with office projects. Learning computer skills, Co worker are very helpful. Hardest part of the job, is hearing the needs of the public in need of help. Best part of the job is being able to lead people to resources that may help them.
Refuse to ever support this company
I & R Specialist (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJune 29, 2013
I refused to support the United Way. I worked at one of their programs that was severely underfunded and management kept tackling more & more tasks to employees without anything in return. There were no benefits for the job. If you had to take a day off, then you had to lose on the pay. The stress was unbelievably high! This is a job I took as a Part Time position and I could not believe how high the stress was. Management did not care and refused to listen to employees ideas on how to improve the work place. The only thing worth it was the pay until they started laying off those who made the most, in return for hiring lower paying individuals. UW is a joke. The CEO makes just under 300k and no non profit CEO should ever make that MUCH!
Pros
pay was decent
Cons
no benefits, uncaring management, toxic environment, stressful
Great!
Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 5, 2016
Great place to work! My only complaint is that I can't work there full-time as they have a limited budget. Otherwise, amazing people and great environment.

4.3