United Way Employee Reviews

Varsity Letter in Community Service through United Way
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 20, 2017
Getting my varsity letter in Community Service through United Way was very rewarding. In high school I was not the most outstanding athlete, but one thing I really enjoyed was serving others. I got to spend a lot of time at various places in my community to give my time to people and help them out in whatever way I could.
Office and Field Work
Information and Outreach Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sierra Blanca, TXJune 16, 2017
Having the opportunity to work with United Way gave me a new understanding and appreciation for Disaster Preparedness. I learned how to not only prepare my own household for disasters but also help my neighbors.
Pros
Hours
Cons
One year Contract
hot mess
Academic Support Mentor (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 13, 2017
Most unorganized and stressful job I've ever worked. Drama and catty issues all the time. My boss was very passive and let my coworkers run him and not helpful.
Pros
Cons
stressful, barely paid
What it's like
Chief Executive Officer (Current Employee) –  Mason City, IAJune 7, 2017
Teamwork and collaboration were key in this work environment. Also, a incredible place to network throughout the eight county region we serve. The board was engaged and active.
Great people focused on the betterment of their community
intern (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJune 7, 2017
Wonderful organization with employees who are very supportive of each other. Very effective non-profit in providing resources for the communities it serves.
Community involvement
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 1, 2017
Great Company to work for and with. I love how they Work to take care of the people in the community and education.
Great Leadership programs that I was able to take advantage of. Always making ways to advance your self.
The most enjoyable part of the job to me was being able to help people directly not just somewhere down the line.
The hardest part was leaving them behind.
Great place to work at
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAMay 30, 2017
For my job we would just have people come in either by appointment or walk in and we would help them with their taxes. Everyone that I worked with was great.
Supportive Environment
Volunteer Connection/Assistant to the Director (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIMay 30, 2017
There was a wide range of responsibilities requiring skill sets that I did not always have but definitely gained as a result of the help and support of the staff. Everyone worked well together and showed value for others. It was an ideal setting for an individual to grow in their career.
Pros
Connecting with the community and staff. Mutually supportive environment.
Cons
Center cubby made it difficult to focus because I could hear all the other converstions around me.
out reach
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 25, 2017
A typical day at work growing and helping the community
everyone is a team player and we worked very well together.
the hardest part was knowing that this position would end someday because it was only temporary.
Productive and fun volunteer environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNMay 23, 2017
Great volunteering staff, very organized. Worked with united way to organize the fargo and twin city marathons. Helped improved runners experience by collecting and redistributing bags, worked with UPS trucks to move packages from start to finish lines.
Great organization to work for!
Tutor, Congaree-Wood Early Childhood Center (Former Employee) –  West Columbia, SCMay 21, 2017
I love this job! I'm returning in the fall to start a new year at my school. I love the kids I work with. We are given tools to help the child learn better.
A Relaxed workplace
Helpline Call Specialist Part-time, Evenings (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 21, 2017
A typical work day is sometimes busy and stressful. Overall, a good

workplace. They have good staffing and management. Very flexible

and understanding.
Pros
Very Relaxed Environment
Cons
Very Busy At Times
Fun, Informative, Fast paced
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 20, 2017
Working as an independent contractor for the United Way helped me a lot, The United Way brought me on as a linchpin between the adults and the youth. This taught me a tremendous amount about the communication channels in the work place. The hardest part of this job would be the the adaptation to the work place culture. The most enjoyable part of the Job was the connections I made.
Pros
Developing new skills, Increasing communication skills
Cons
short work time
Very Nice People
Buffalo Bills Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Orchard Park, NYMay 18, 2017
My time spent at United Way was brief but enjoyable. The entire staff was very kind because everyone is ther for the same great cause. Wonderful people, wonderful company.
flexible volunteer work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Annandale, NJMay 16, 2017
I liked doing the clerical work involved with the organization. I really think that the rubber ducky race in Clinton is one of their most clever and fun events. I enjoyed supporting the fine work of this organization to combat cancer, a very worthy cause.
Pros
dedicated staff
Cons
no paper shedder
Friendly non-profit environment
Development Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYMay 11, 2017
Office hours are from 8:30 - 5:00, with flexibility. Many staff also spend a lot of time out of the office at meetings, campaigning, etc. Everyone here is incredibly friendly and helpful. We are here to support each other!
Great enviornment
Resource Specialist Operator (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMay 5, 2017
211 is an important resource center in the USA. 211 helps people obtaining information and referrals to places they may receive help, whether at a non-profit or government agency.
Pros
Wonderful people
Cons
Stressful
Productive, rewarding friendly atmosphere
Secretary to Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Watertown, NYMay 3, 2017
Typical day included but not limited to basic secretarial functions, scheduling committee meetings for volunteers, preparing campaign materials to solicit donations from businesses and communities. Bulk mailing.

Answering community help line which was also located in office..(information and referral line)

Working with volunteers was the most enjoyable part of this position
Enjoyed this job
Proofreader (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 29, 2017
Enjoyed everything about it. I was upset it ended so quickly. Laid back atmosphere. Lots of simple and thorough work to be done. Everyone was very friendly.
Pros
Easy enjoyable job
Cons
none really
Pretty good. Gave me some real world experience.
Volunteer Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 22, 2017
I would go to the job site and help clients who came in to enter their taxes into our tax software. I learned how to interpret tax forms sort the relevant and irrelevant information. There were supervisors who reviewed all of the volunteers' work to make sure that no mistakes were sent to the IRS. It was hard to stay alert through all the periods when there were no clients and to be ready for when a whole bunch of clients came in. Working with people from all walks of life and hearing their stories.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Lack of interpreters.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Way. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4