United Way Employee Reviews

No direction from Leadership and Very "Clique" oriented Management Team
Management (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 13, 2017
There is a great mission to help the community, but replete with poor delivery, mismanaged resources and funds, often borderline-bullying leadership that is covered up by inappropriate human resource personnel.

There is a real concern as to why turn-over is so high for such a community-oriented workplace - it all revolves around leaders who turn a blind eye to real employee concerns in favor of "cliques" and favoritism. In open and frank conversations with other employees, you will find that the HR personnel are inept and inappropriate, managers are often under-trained for the work they are pushed to do, and C level leaders express (openly) that staff should just be "lucky that they have a job".
Pros
Good benefits, Generous time off/vacation
Cons
Non-Communicative, Ignores Employee Concerns, Poor and Inappropriate Leadership
Best place to get experience
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRJuly 12, 2017
I had the best practice as a Social Worker Intern. I learn how to manage administrative information in relation with my social work studies. I also, had a very grateful experience with my coworkers. United Way help me to understand my process in college and I'm prepared for a job in social worker area.
Productive work envierment
Temp work (Current Employee) –  Stafford, TXJuly 12, 2017
I've had a Wonderful experience working for United way. Well maintained environment that allowed everyone to be comfortable. I would recommend anyone with the love to server to work there.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 11, 2017
Making sure to have up dated list of pledgers. Make sure all of the materials are sent out to companies, and assist with all event planning.

The hardest part is not meeting the pledge goal and not being able to assist needy families due to lack of funds. The best part of the job is when companies meet goal and is able to assist families.
Pros
Cons
Not able to help
Fun
Group Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTJuly 10, 2017
Great place to work, I really enjoyed it. Nothing super stressful or crazy. Really great people working with you and just regular everyday work stuff. I would recommend!
Pros
Food Sometimes
Cons
Rewarding and challenging at the same time
Information Referral Specialist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 7, 2017
At 2-1-1 working in a call center is what it is, but at the same time you are helping and caring for clients whom need the most help. These clients are ones who have mostly nothing, and are on their last time and last ounce of luck. You help out a lot of people a day and are constantly in a queue but the different you make in these peoples lives makes it worthwhile in the end of the day.
Great mission and good people
DIrector (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 5, 2017
Outstanding organization with loads of potential to change the world! Some very dedicated executives and many dedicated staff members. They're working hard to create a corporate culture that supports collaboration and development but there is a long way to go. Executives aren't as connected to HOW things are actually happening as they are to the vision of what they THINK is happening (from a process standpoint).
Pros
great people
Cons
limited room for advancement; slow to change
average
Campaign Manager (Former Employee) –  Gales Ferry, CTJune 26, 2017
Great benefits, vacation, medical, 401k. Offered to all employees at immediate start date benefits apply to all employees. Company needs to improve on management of diversity strategies.
benefits
Cons
diversity management
Packet making
Student Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIJune 24, 2017
A typical day was arranging papers to staple into a packet, which then would be sent to elementary schools for activities to do. The hardest part of the job was the order of the papers after a while. I enjoyed seeing all the different activities while stapling.
Varsity Letter in Community Service through United Way
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 20, 2017
Getting my varsity letter in Community Service through United Way was very rewarding. In high school I was not the most outstanding athlete, but one thing I really enjoyed was serving others. I got to spend a lot of time at various places in my community to give my time to people and help them out in whatever way I could.
Office and Field Work
Information and Outreach Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sierra Blanca, TXJune 16, 2017
Having the opportunity to work with United Way gave me a new understanding and appreciation for Disaster Preparedness. I learned how to not only prepare my own household for disasters but also help my neighbors.
Pros
Hours
Cons
One year Contract
hot mess
Academic Support Mentor (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 13, 2017
Most unorganized and stressful job I've ever worked. Drama and catty issues all the time. My boss was very passive and let my coworkers run him and not helpful.
Pros
Cons
stressful, barely paid
What it's like
Chief Executive Officer (Current Employee) –  Mason City, IAJune 7, 2017
Teamwork and collaboration were key in this work environment. Also, a incredible place to network throughout the eight county region we serve. The board was engaged and active.
Great people focused on the betterment of their community
intern (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJune 7, 2017
Wonderful organization with employees who are very supportive of each other. Very effective non-profit in providing resources for the communities it serves.
Community involvement
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 1, 2017
Great Company to work for and with. I love how they Work to take care of the people in the community and education.
Great Leadership programs that I was able to take advantage of. Always making ways to advance your self.
The most enjoyable part of the job to me was being able to help people directly not just somewhere down the line.
The hardest part was leaving them behind.
Great place to work at
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAMay 30, 2017
For my job we would just have people come in either by appointment or walk in and we would help them with their taxes. Everyone that I worked with was great.
Supportive Environment
Volunteer Connection/Assistant to the Director (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIMay 30, 2017
There was a wide range of responsibilities requiring skill sets that I did not always have but definitely gained as a result of the help and support of the staff. Everyone worked well together and showed value for others. It was an ideal setting for an individual to grow in their career.
Pros
Connecting with the community and staff. Mutually supportive environment.
Cons
Center cubby made it difficult to focus because I could hear all the other converstions around me.
out reach
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 25, 2017
A typical day at work growing and helping the community
everyone is a team player and we worked very well together.
the hardest part was knowing that this position would end someday because it was only temporary.
Productive and fun volunteer environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNMay 23, 2017
Great volunteering staff, very organized. Worked with united way to organize the fargo and twin city marathons. Helped improved runners experience by collecting and redistributing bags, worked with UPS trucks to move packages from start to finish lines.
Great organization to work for!
Tutor, Congaree-Wood Early Childhood Center (Former Employee) –  West Columbia, SCMay 21, 2017
I love this job! I'm returning in the fall to start a new year at my school. I love the kids I work with. We are given tools to help the child learn better.