United Way Employee Reviews

Parent Educator , 90% in the field
AmeriCorps, Parent Educator (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 21, 2017
very good place to work and get your experiences in different areas of work. Other organizations collaborate to meet the common goal that was given to each parent educators.
Great Company
Processor (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 10, 2017
This is an amazing company to work for. They were very flexible with personal schedules and life events. the only thing is that the hours aren't guaranteed and some team leaders are unprofessional and lack actual leadership skills
Pros
Flexible with schedule
Cons
Rude team leaders and hours are not guaranteed
Great place
Tax Preparer (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Dublin, CAAugust 10, 2017
I have to thank this organization for help me and provide all the stuff and tools to get a successful tax season. We worked for as good team and, I always felt well attended by my peers and coworkers.

The site and facilities were always well organized and clean
Philanthropic experience
Greater Cleveland Loaned Executive for KeyBank (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 9, 2017
- Great Non Profit Organizational experience
- Learned a great deal about United Way and how it operates
- Shared my experience with many companies and how the UW effected my life
- Great training for public speaking
Volunteer
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  TampaAugust 7, 2017
Not sure what's wrong with myself I really enjoy the job that I do volunteer work. It's fulfilling I'm working with American Cancer Society soup kitchen Habitat for Humanity giving back to the community
No direction from Leadership and Very "Clique" oriented Management Team
Management (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 13, 2017
There is a great mission to help the community, but replete with poor delivery, mismanaged resources and funds, often borderline-bullying leadership that is covered up by inappropriate human resource personnel.

There is a real concern as to why turn-over is so high for such a community-oriented workplace - it all revolves around leaders who turn a blind eye to real employee concerns in favor of "cliques" and favoritism. In open and frank conversations with other employees, you will find that the HR personnel are inept and inappropriate, managers are often under-trained for the work they are pushed to do, and C level leaders express (openly) that staff should just be "lucky that they have a job".
Pros
Good benefits, Generous time off/vacation
Cons
Non-Communicative, Ignores Employee Concerns, Poor and Inappropriate Leadership
Best place to get experience
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRJuly 12, 2017
I had the best practice as a Social Worker Intern. I learn how to manage administrative information in relation with my social work studies. I also, had a very grateful experience with my coworkers. United Way help me to understand my process in college and I'm prepared for a job in social worker area.
Productive work envierment
Temp work (Current Employee) –  Stafford, TXJuly 12, 2017
I've had a Wonderful experience working for United way. Well maintained environment that allowed everyone to be comfortable. I would recommend anyone with the love to server to work there.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 11, 2017
Making sure to have up dated list of pledgers. Make sure all of the materials are sent out to companies, and assist with all event planning.

The hardest part is not meeting the pledge goal and not being able to assist needy families due to lack of funds. The best part of the job is when companies meet goal and is able to assist families.
Pros
Cons
Not able to help
Fun
Group Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTJuly 10, 2017
Great place to work, I really enjoyed it. Nothing super stressful or crazy. Really great people working with you and just regular everyday work stuff. I would recommend!
Pros
Food Sometimes
Cons
Rewarding and challenging at the same time
Information Referral Specialist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 7, 2017
At 2-1-1 working in a call center is what it is, but at the same time you are helping and caring for clients whom need the most help. These clients are ones who have mostly nothing, and are on their last time and last ounce of luck. You help out a lot of people a day and are constantly in a queue but the different you make in these peoples lives makes it worthwhile in the end of the day.
Great mission and good people
DIrector (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 5, 2017
Outstanding organization with loads of potential to change the world! Some very dedicated executives and many dedicated staff members. They're working hard to create a corporate culture that supports collaboration and development but there is a long way to go. Executives aren't as connected to HOW things are actually happening as they are to the vision of what they THINK is happening (from a process standpoint).
Pros
great people
Cons
limited room for advancement; slow to change
average
Campaign Manager (Former Employee) –  Gales Ferry, CTJune 26, 2017
Great benefits, vacation, medical, 401k. Offered to all employees at immediate start date benefits apply to all employees. Company needs to improve on management of diversity strategies.
benefits
Cons
diversity management
Packet making
Student Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIJune 24, 2017
A typical day was arranging papers to staple into a packet, which then would be sent to elementary schools for activities to do. The hardest part of the job was the order of the papers after a while. I enjoyed seeing all the different activities while stapling.
Varsity Letter in Community Service through United Way
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 20, 2017
Getting my varsity letter in Community Service through United Way was very rewarding. In high school I was not the most outstanding athlete, but one thing I really enjoyed was serving others. I got to spend a lot of time at various places in my community to give my time to people and help them out in whatever way I could.
Office and Field Work
Information and Outreach Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sierra Blanca, TXJune 16, 2017
Having the opportunity to work with United Way gave me a new understanding and appreciation for Disaster Preparedness. I learned how to not only prepare my own household for disasters but also help my neighbors.
Pros
Hours
Cons
One year Contract
hot mess
Academic Support Mentor (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 13, 2017
Most unorganized and stressful job I've ever worked. Drama and catty issues all the time. My boss was very passive and let my coworkers run him and not helpful.
Pros
Cons
stressful, barely paid
What it's like
Chief Executive Officer (Current Employee) –  Mason City, IAJune 7, 2017
Teamwork and collaboration were key in this work environment. Also, a incredible place to network throughout the eight county region we serve. The board was engaged and active.
Great people focused on the betterment of their community
intern (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJune 7, 2017
Wonderful organization with employees who are very supportive of each other. Very effective non-profit in providing resources for the communities it serves.
Community involvement
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 1, 2017
Great Company to work for and with. I love how they Work to take care of the people in the community and education.
Great Leadership programs that I was able to take advantage of. Always making ways to advance your self.
The most enjoyable part of the job to me was being able to help people directly not just somewhere down the line.
The hardest part was leaving them behind.