United Way Employee Reviews

Fun, Informative, Fast paced
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 20, 2017
Working as an independent contractor for the United Way helped me a lot, The United Way brought me on as a linchpin between the adults and the youth. This taught me a tremendous amount about the communication channels in the work place. The hardest part of this job would be the the adaptation to the work place culture. The most enjoyable part of the Job was the connections I made.
Pros
Developing new skills, Increasing communication skills
Cons
short work time
Very Nice People
Buffalo Bills Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Orchard Park, NYMay 18, 2017
My time spent at United Way was brief but enjoyable. The entire staff was very kind because everyone is ther for the same great cause. Wonderful people, wonderful company.
flexible volunteer work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Annandale, NJMay 16, 2017
I liked doing the clerical work involved with the organization. I really think that the rubber ducky race in Clinton is one of their most clever and fun events. I enjoyed supporting the fine work of this organization to combat cancer, a very worthy cause.
Pros
dedicated staff
Cons
no paper shedder
Friendly non-profit environment
Development Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYMay 11, 2017
Office hours are from 8:30 - 5:00, with flexibility. Many staff also spend a lot of time out of the office at meetings, campaigning, etc. Everyone here is incredibly friendly and helpful. We are here to support each other!
Great enviornment
Resource Specialist Operator (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMay 5, 2017
211 is an important resource center in the USA. 211 helps people obtaining information and referrals to places they may receive help, whether at a non-profit or government agency.
Pros
Wonderful people
Cons
Stressful
Productive, rewarding friendly atmosphere
Secretary to Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Watertown, NYMay 3, 2017
Typical day included but not limited to basic secretarial functions, scheduling committee meetings for volunteers, preparing campaign materials to solicit donations from businesses and communities. Bulk mailing.

Answering community help line which was also located in office..(information and referral line)

Working with volunteers was the most enjoyable part of this position
Enjoyed this job
Proofreader (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 29, 2017
Enjoyed everything about it. I was upset it ended so quickly. Laid back atmosphere. Lots of simple and thorough work to be done. Everyone was very friendly.
Pros
Easy enjoyable job
Cons
none really
Pretty good. Gave me some real world experience.
Volunteer Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 22, 2017
I would go to the job site and help clients who came in to enter their taxes into our tax software. I learned how to interpret tax forms sort the relevant and irrelevant information. There were supervisors who reviewed all of the volunteers' work to make sure that no mistakes were sent to the IRS. It was hard to stay alert through all the periods when there were no clients and to be ready for when a whole bunch of clients came in. Working with people from all walks of life and hearing their stories.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Lack of interpreters.
good
Front desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bogalusa, LAApril 20, 2017
I worked as a customer serve Repersentive were I was responsible for explain the health care laws, plan, and packages. My deities also included taking multiple calls a day, Helping Citizen all over the country in enrolled in the affordable care act.
Great
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaApril 17, 2017
Volunteer, very enjoyable. My university volunteered to help community members with any and every small task they needed done including yard work, painting projects and even building small gardens.
Good and fun place to work, great people.
LSP Program Processor (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 5, 2017
That was my first job in a office setup. They made it easy to learn, with lots of help and encouragement. We a group meeting before out start time. The meeting informed us of our goals for the day. basically some motivational words for us to have a good productive day.
Taxes are seldom enjoyable, but I learned a lot, so it was worth it.
Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, SCFebruary 24, 2017
I learned quite a bit from this job. Learned more about taxes and also learned how to handle people who were unhappy about their refund or owing money.
Pros
Learned a lot
Cons
No breaks
A good place to get a hard day's work in, emotionally rewarding
Laborer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDFebruary 15, 2017
The short time I spent with United way was rewarding in so many ways. I had the opportunity to meet many good people as well as give back to those who haven't had my relatively cushy life. It taught me what hard work felt like day after day and that, while not always fun, it's always worth it.
Unstable organization in Topeka KS
worked with United Way as a grant recipient (Former Employee) –  Topeka KSFebruary 13, 2017
The organization's recent past has serious money management and leadership issues. Constant staff changes and recent resignation of President.
Pros
Historically this organization was well supported by community.
Cons
No longer had a good reprutation in Community
Positive Atmosphere
Facilities Downsizing Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 9, 2017
Employees are valued! Strong leadership from management contributes to team- and goal-oriented staff which make for a positive atmosphere and workplace culture.
Pros
Great work culture
Great
Hourly Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 5, 2017
Working with, not for, the United Way was a great experience. Knowledgeable and wonderful staff. Lots of advancement opportunities and challenges,
I enjoyed working at United Way
Operations Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Zanesville, OHJanuary 15, 2017
I loved helping people. I would come in each day and check my email. Then I would update 211 information and referral for different events going on in the community. I would then do the Account Receivables and any Campaign packets that came in from different organizations and companies. I would do anything else that needed done including filing.
Pros
Helping People
Cons
I was not happy with management
Productive, Rewarding and fast paced
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  staten island, nyJanuary 11, 2017
Worked as Administrative Assistant in a medical clinic, scheduled appointments, talked with families of children with developmental disabilities regarding services that are available to help them. It was rewarding when families were able to get the help they needed.
Double Check
Area Coordinator/ Vita Tax Program (Former Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLDecember 30, 2016
You will be the liaison between the United Way, IRS and the public. You job is to make sure that the returns are prepared properly, coordinate schedule for site volunteers, make sure the equipment is updated constantly..
Homeless foundation
Homeless Shelter Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Monticello, NYDecember 24, 2016
Worked in organizing clothing toys books giving to those in need also giving preparing and receiving food for the homeless or other that areally in serious need help them find places to stay and attend for help when needed.. stocking up rooms and closets when receiving more items that are giving for the needs..