United Way Employee Reviews in United States

Quite and Productive work environment
Intern Student/ I&R Specialist (Former Employee) –  monroe,la,usaJuly 1, 2015
a typical day at work consist of addressing the needs of the community by connecting them to an agency who can of better assistance to them. The hardest part about the job was having to explain to helpless people that there were no resources to help them in their time in need. The most enjoyable part was when there were resources available and i was able help make a difference.
Pros
free lunch, field trips to partner companies
Cons
boring at times, no benefits
what i learned
Intern (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 19, 2015
this job showed me how a cooperation is ran and managed. I would help work on some of their projects and i ran the stock room. taught me how to work with others and it also taught me how to work in an office environment.
Pros
Downtown Portland
Cons
didnt get paid
Refuse to ever support this company
I & R Specialist (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJune 29, 2013
I refused to support the United Way. I worked at one of their programs that was severely underfunded and management kept tackling more & more tasks to employees without anything in return. There were no benefits for the job. If you had to take a day off, then you had to lose on the pay. The stress was unbelievably high! This is a job I took as a Part Time position and I could not believe how high the stress was. Management did not care and refused to listen to employees ideas on how to improve the work place. The only thing worth it was the pay until they started laying off those who made the most, in return for hiring lower paying individuals. UW is a joke. The CEO makes just under 300k and no non profit CEO should ever make that MUCH!
Pros
pay was decent
Cons
no benefits, uncaring management, toxic environment, stressful
A place to thrive
Director, Marketing & Communications (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 3, 2015
Outstanding staff and leadership who are just as dedicated to improving other people's lives as they are to making sure you get ahead in life as well. A phenomenal place to develop in your career.
Pros
great staff, strong leadership, wonderful benefits
Good people, soul sucking experience
211 Information and Referral Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 11, 2015
You must be a very patient person to answer those phones. Very boring, very routine, but great pay. Flexible hours, but not a happy place. Part time.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Angry callers, routine, boring
Not an accurate portrait.
volunteer teacher to lo income communities (Former Employee) –  Anaheim CaliforniaJuly 11, 2015
I have many years experience as a nurse. I began was an emergency room nurse, passed through the ranks aa a Director of a Trauma Center. Then I made a change to the Operating Room in order to accommodate my return to school.

I ended up getting a Masters Degree in Public Health and began to teach Anatomy and Physiology, Biology and Clinical Nursing. I am semi-retired and would like to teach clinical nursing, CNA,s or CCMA's. I have my CCMA Certificate.

My classes are always filled because I am a good teacher. I believe the students should be elevated, not intimidated. I have fun teaching and can adapt to any environment in the teaching arena.
Pros
Good Equipment
Cons
Scheduling Back to Back classes
Wonderful organization
Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CAMarch 13, 2015
I worked for the United Way as a volunteer event coordinator. We put together a new and excited event to fund-raise for our local chapter and had a great success. Very rewarding to work with such great people for great causes.
Vary well organized
Case Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 16, 2015
Great environment to work in, with lots of options given to veterens. Great pay and many opertunities to grow. Great to meet new people and open new avanues of employment in other areas.
a wonderful opportunity to learn about your community
Director of Community Outreach (Former Employee) –  Opelousas, LAMay 19, 2015
It was a GREAT experience to know how other non-profit agencies operate on a daily basis. Meeting other CEO's during campaign season was such a leaning experience. You get a an opportunity to visit plants, distribution centers, and many large corporations.
Pros
great community partnership
Cons
no benefits; bare minimum compensation, low wages
Great place to be
Information and Referral Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLAugust 27, 2015
This is a great place to work that truly appreciates and values their employees. It's a great feeling to go into work everyday knowing that you are there making a difference in the lives of others that are facing less than fortunate circumstances.
Pros
Making a difference
Cons
Low pay
B2B marketing experience
Marketing Campaign Representative (Former Employee) –  Granite City, ILApril 10, 2012
At United Way I learned how to coordinate marketing events while also being able to raise money for charity. I was able to put together B2B presentations and also headed the silent auction. The most enjoyable part of the job was being given the opportunity to manage my own days and work independently. The hardest part learning how to convey United Way's message to each business during the first couple weeks.
united way duties for volenteer work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, INAugust 18, 2015
My job was to organize papers and put campaign packets together. I could come in anytime I wanted to and the first thing I did was to report to the supervisor she would tell me what job I would do. Then they just give me something that needs to be done. it was just volunteer job.
Pros
It was a quiet atmosphere, The employees were nice.
Cons
I was having fun doing it and I was in the news paper for it.
Worked hard and fast, reliable, perfiect attendance
crew (Former Employee) –  alleganSeptember 28, 2015
I worked hard because I loved what I did. it was just a temp job, and I had perfect attendance and got along with all of my co-workers, never had a problem.
Pros
fast, smart, fun, focused, happy, attenace
Organization that provides a learning experience for teens - adults
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLJuly 6, 2015
Volunteering at United Way was a great way for me to experience different types of work settings/environments while providing me necessary skills and work ethics. I was able to meet different types of volunteers of all ages and backgrounds. You get to have opportunities exposed to you - familiar and new - and you can plan them days to a month prior to when they're active, so it fits your planning/scheduling.
nice volunteer work
emerging leaders member (Current Employee) –  san diegoAugust 20, 2015
has lots of opportunities to give back to the community with their projects or with projects/non profits that you choose yourself
Good Place to Work
Vice-President, Resource Development (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJanuary 21, 2014
This United Way Office merged with with larger unit. It was a great place to work and raise funds for more than 50 non-profits. The corporate and community networking opportunities were wonderful.
Pros
great community asset
Cons
merged with large organizion
A very warm and inviting company with creative freedom.
Front Desk Volunteer Staff Supervisor/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDAugust 12, 2014
The work days are usually very active withthe staff completing a pre-set agenda.

Team work and time management is the key to getting the days work done.

The employees are all dedicated to giving 100% effort to the company and we all work well together.

The challenge is planning an event at sometimes a moments notice, Customers find us and need us immediately to execute a party plan with little time to do it.

The best part of being apart of a creative business is your mind is full of imagination and you get to use it. Ideas spring up and come to life, even at the last minute to deliver an awesome event.
Nurses Aide, taking care of a patient in which he was bed ridden and could not do anything for himself.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Wooster, OHJanuary 30, 2013
Complete care of the patient, cooking and feeding him, Complete care of the Laundry, light housekeeping, Using a lift to take him in and out of bed, Short walk in a wheelchair, if the weather permitted in the afternoon before putting him back in bed. I learned what it was like for a person whom was very active, (like my husband), to never be able to communicate or do anything for himself. Co-workers, there were none. The hardest parts were using the lift to put him in his wheelchair and out of bed, and to see what a good and active man so helpless. The most enjoyable part, I guess was being able to help and care for the patient, and being there for his wife, Whom loved and cared for him.
Pros
the assurance of a job well done.
Cons
no benefits
Rewarding experiences by assisting those in need in more than one ways
Medical and Legal Interpreter/Translator (Former Employee) –  MARLBOROUGH, MADecember 6, 2012
(note) The United Way just recently took over the Old Marlborough Community Services (MCSI), I never worked for United Way directly.

In a typical day at work, it varied every day, different persons, different needs, but always a smile afterwards and a thank you.

I learned to be more patient and to appreciate the different problems to be resolved in pro of other people's needs.

Management were always willing to cooperate in resolving the patient's needs.

My co-workers always with a smile an eager to assist.

Never hard, sometimes slower but never hard

The most enjoyable part of the job was the opportunity to help other in their problems by assisting them with their language barriers.
Sucessfully met goals and objectives that was set for the city-wide programs.
loaned Executive with United Wa (Former Employee) –  San AntonioFebruary 27, 2015
Served as a loaned Executive with United Way to give presentations to corporations and businesses on employee participation programs with United Way.
• Sucessfully met goals and objectives that was set for the city-wide programs.
Pros
to assist with coporation and buisness

4.3