United Way Employee Reviews

Great job opportunity
Pledge Processor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 30, 2014
Great job opportunity to gain the experience. I obtained this role via a temp agency. There was not an opportunity to go permanent in this role.
An awesome place to get involved with charitable giving.
Volunteer Staff Trainer/Front Desk (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDJune 25, 2014
I love volunteering at United Way oF Frederick. I the CEO and management team are a great.
Pros
meeting great people
Cons
i can not stay forever
Great organization
Funds Allocator (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 29, 2014
Had the opportunity to volunteer and the experience is very rewarding. This agency functions on low staff but high productivity. Great place to work!
Pros
flexibility
Cons
time
I enjoyed the work and the staff
Internship (Data Entry) (Former Employee) –  West Alabama, ALMay 23, 2014
Answer calls from clients needing assistance with community referrals.
Make referrals to appropriate community agencies
Contact community agencies and updated United Ways Community Directory.
Maintain agencies information database
Pros
i enjoyed the work and the staff
Great company
Information and Referral Specialist (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 15, 2014
United Way of Anchorage is a great company to work for. A typical day at work for me is coming in and checking email and voicemails and making appropriate call backs and replies to emails.
I have a learned a lot of useful information about agencies and companies within the State of Alaska. I have also learned a lot about information and referral and maintaining a resource database.
Since I work in a call center I work very closely with a small amount of people, four of us including me, and we have a director who is very supportive.
The hardest part of my job is having to be the one to tell people there are no resources available to help them in their situation. Another difficult aspect of my job is that I feel unchallenged, and have a desire to have more responsibility and excel further in my career and unfortunately United Way does not have that to offer for me.
The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to assist people with resources that are available to them, and also to make connections and relationships with service providers in our great state.
Volunteer Food Drive
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 10, 2014
The United Family was great!
They not only were very professional and organized they made sure everyone was doing ok and having a good time.
I met a lot of people this weekend, and I worked long hours of just standing and talking to strangers, but it was a blast!
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Tarrytown, NYApril 8, 2014
Working with The Volunteer Center of the United Way was an incredible experience. Doing what we love, plus being able to help others is double the reward, especially when working with a great team of people.
Intern
Human Resources Associate (Full time 40hrs/wk) (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSMarch 27, 2014
This position was temporary. I worked as an Asst HR associate. I didn't have any one specific thing to do: I reviewed apps; filed paperwork; answered phones; office duties
This site is easy to understand
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  NYMarch 25, 2014
Fun Place to work, I learned how to appreciate fellow workers and clients.
Fun place to work.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 19, 2014
Managerment were very good,co-worker were great to work with.learn how to operate a machine in 4 weeks,
Pros
great pay
Cons
short lunch
Family oriented workplace
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York NYFebruary 19, 2014
Great place to work. People are very friendly and family oriented. Employer care about their employee
Good Experience
United Way of Lake County Intern (Former Employee) –  Grayslake, ILFebruary 8, 2014
I was able to organize a book drive with two other friends and a goal of 1,000 books. I was left to collect the books in whichever manner I chose, so I only met with my supervisor a few times. For the drive, I participated in a fourth of July parade to advertise, organized a face painting stand at a neighborhood block party to collect books, and set out bags in neighborhoods to collect books as well. We ended up meeting our quota and the books were given to underprivileged children in the county.
Americorps member
Americorps member (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OhioJanuary 25, 2014
8th grade graduation coach by assisting with finding out what barriers inner-city students have with not coming to school or graduating.
Fun Non-profit organization
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 24, 2014
A typical day of work consist of staying 100 % earshot of the Shef so you could help him cook the meals. I have learned that being creative could lead to good results in the food industry. My co-workers supports me and I support them. The hardest part of the job was leaving because I enjoyed It so much. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new things
Pros
great environment
Cons
no lunches
Good Place to Work
Vice-President, Resource Development (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJanuary 21, 2014
This United Way Office merged with with larger unit. It was a great place to work and raise funds for more than 50 non-profits. The corporate and community networking opportunities were wonderful.
Pros
great community asset
Cons
merged with large organizion
Enjoyed working with a great non-profit organization within the community of Los Angeles County
Financial Account Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 7, 2014
Excellent opportunity to utilize my financial and accounting skills. The most enjoyable part of this job was being able to give back to the community.
Pros
diverse organization
Cons
professional growth
Helps you really understand what it takes to help a community
Parent Outreach Worker for BAYC (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTDecember 16, 2013
I have been a volunteer here for the past four going on five years and i have the chance to give back all that i have learnd over the years it an honor to be apart of such a community of builders.
Gained useful tax experience
Volunteer of Income Tax Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXNovember 30, 2013
Working with experienced site coordinators, helped people done their tax returns with happy feeling
Pros
kindly stuff
Cons
no lunch
Nice place to work
DATA ENTRY/CASEMANAGEMENT/CLIENT SUPPORT (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, Ga.November 19, 2013
Answer phones and entering data. I learned to evaluate customers needs and how to give assistance to those in need.
Pros
flexibility of hours and commute
Cons
no benefits for temps
Was a bookkeeping job that kept me busy.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Hays, KSNovember 13, 2013
Enjoyed all of my work at the United Way that was combined with the Chamber of Commerce.

4.4