United Way Employee Reviews in United States

Productive, Helped customers set up appointments
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 26, 2013
Productive, helped customers set up appointments. Compensation was good.
nice volunteer work
emerging leaders member (Current Employee) –  san diegoAugust 20, 2015
has lots of opportunities to give back to the community with their projects or with projects/non profits that you choose yourself
Easy Job, Not so good Pay
Database Administrator/ (Former Employee) –  Meriden, CTJuly 20, 2015
Lets be honest, its a Non for profit and they wont pay a lot of money. However, they help with the community, and they have a great work schedule for someone who'd rather not live at work.
data entry
Data Entry Lead (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 15, 2015
I made my own lunch/break schedule, I didn't have someone to ask to use the bathroom. I would take information from cards and enter it into the computer after was finished with a batch i would print it out and make sure the money was correct and then proof read the batches after all the data was entered into the system. I've also done some auditing as well.
Enjoyable workplace
o Income Tax Preparer (Volunteer - Internship) (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 13, 2015
This was an internship and was considered volunteer work. i enjoyed working with low income families , while showing them how to save money
Experience As A Tutor
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Sumter, SCJune 10, 2015
Serving as an AmeriCorps member was a great experience. I had a joyous time working with the students and staff. It was a marvelous experience because I learned alot from the staff about how to do other things in the school.
Pros
Trained how to do other things such as answer phones and greet parents during off time
A very warm and inviting company with creative freedom.
Front Desk Volunteer Staff Supervisor/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDAugust 12, 2014
The work days are usually very active withthe staff completing a pre-set agenda.

Team work and time management is the key to getting the days work done.

The employees are all dedicated to giving 100% effort to the company and we all work well together.

The challenge is planning an event at sometimes a moments notice, Customers find us and need us immediately to execute a party plan with little time to do it.

The best part of being apart of a creative business is your mind is full of imagination and you get to use it. Ideas spring up and come to life, even at the last minute to deliver an awesome event.
Great Skills Learned
internship (Former Employee) –  columbus, ohioJune 30, 2015
I would say this was an excellent internship I learned great skills in the office but also with communication. The only pat i was upset about it was it ending early
Pros
fun, meet new people, great skills learned
Cons
cut short
Good
Read to Succeed Tutor (Former Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOJune 24, 2015
While I was a tutor, it was my responsibility to help the children learn how to sound out certain letters. Then they read to me, and if they had trouble with a work it was my responsibilty to help them sound it out.
Sucessfully met goals and objectives that was set for the city-wide programs.
loaned Executive with United Wa (Former Employee) –  San AntonioFebruary 27, 2015
Served as a loaned Executive with United Way to give presentations to corporations and businesses on employee participation programs with United Way.
• Sucessfully met goals and objectives that was set for the city-wide programs.
Pros
to assist with coporation and buisness
great job for someone in high school
Call Center Agent (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 24, 2015
this was a job i had to get for one of my high school classes but it turned out to be pretty awesome. my issue was that when it came to finals time management was not cooperative about working with my schedule.
Rewarding experiences by assisting those in need in more than one ways
Medical and Legal Interpreter/Translator (Former Employee) –  MARLBOROUGH, MADecember 6, 2012
(note) The United Way just recently took over the Old Marlborough Community Services (MCSI), I never worked for United Way directly.

In a typical day at work, it varied every day, different persons, different needs, but always a smile afterwards and a thank you.

I learned to be more patient and to appreciate the different problems to be resolved in pro of other people's needs.

Management were always willing to cooperate in resolving the patient's needs.

My co-workers always with a smile an eager to assist.

Never hard, sometimes slower but never hard

The most enjoyable part of the job was the opportunity to help other in their problems by assisting them with their language barriers.
Excellent experience for networking
Loaned Associate (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INJune 10, 2013
A typical day would begin by planning an organized route to approach potential donators. I learned to have more compassion for people who have absolutely nothing. I also learned how many people in this community are in need of help, as well as, how many kind-hearted people there are in the community willing to give. I very much enjoyed working with management and my co-workers. The hardest part of the job would have been being turned down, due to the state of the economy. The most enjoyable part was meeting new people, the joy of receiving donations, and the get-togethers we had. It was a great experience!
Cons
no health care, and the job was seasonal
Great company
Information and Referral Specialist (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 15, 2014
United Way of Anchorage is a great company to work for. A typical day at work for me is coming in and checking email and voicemails and making appropriate call backs and replies to emails.
I have a learned a lot of useful information about agencies and companies within the State of Alaska. I have also learned a lot about information and referral and maintaining a resource database.
Since I work in a call center I work very closely with a small amount of people, four of us including me, and we have a director who is very supportive.
The hardest part of my job is having to be the one to tell people there are no resources available to help them in their situation. Another difficult aspect of my job is that I feel unchallenged, and have a desire to have more responsibility and excel further in my career and unfortunately United Way does not have that to offer for me.
The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to assist people with resources that are available to them, and also to make connections and relationships with service providers in our great state.
A nice place to work at
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJanuary 9, 2013
the work day consisted of anwereing phone calls from people that needed assistance with rent, utilities, food and medical care.
I learned to be able to refer clients to other agencies of assistance.
Management was nice and helpful with any questions I had.
Co-workers were nice. The hardest part of the job was having to tell the caller that there were no funds available. the most enjoybale was when we were able to help a family with food and money for rent.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not being able to help every call
Great learning atomsphere
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSFebruary 19, 2015
I started out as a Resource Development VISTA. It was my first office job. The staff really helped me adjust. I learned so much.

Once my VISTA year was up, I was able to come on as a temp for the Volunteer Center as coordinator.

Great atmosphere all over the office!
Pros
able to work around my schedule if need time off
Cons
no healthcare with being temp.
Community Outreach
Tech, Research Info & Planning Admin (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 21, 2015
A lot of interaction with influential people that help get things done in the community. I lot of pledges for purposes. A lot of marching to get thing done within communities.
Pros
Met Interesting people
Cons
Need to have marching feet.
A wonderful place to work for a good cause
Director Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo,NYJune 28, 2012
A typical day at United way was always busy. The day started off with filing records from the previous day. Recording the pledges into the computer system. Recording the amounts that was giving for donations. After all the records was entered into the system. The Directed and I worked closed together. I had to write and send thank you letters out to many corporation. I also entered information into spread sheets for the director. The hardest part of my job was making sure that the donations matched the amount on the folder to the amount in the system to the amount that was actually donated. That was the hardest part and the most enjoyable. Just to be apart of an organization that shows you everyday that people do care and we can make a difference was a GREAT experience.
A Great Experience
Volunteer Income Tax Preparer VITA/TCE (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIApril 26, 2015
The felling you get from helping people is just unbelievable. They have a great teaching system that will give you everything you need to know.
productive
Court Appointed Special Advocate (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 16, 2015
Working with children and making appropriate decisions in the best interest of the child. I love being able to be an advocate for children and helping them find permanent placement.
Pros
helping children
Cons
volunteer, not paid

4.3