United Way Employee Reviews in United States

custoner-based emphasis
Administrative Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 21, 2013
typical day at work - slow had o set personal daily goals for self
what you learned - how far reaching Unite Way is
management
your co-workers -knowledgeable
the hardest part of the job - was not having enough to do
the most enjoyable part of the job - was the customer contact in the overall client base
Pros
trusted that i would get the requested job done
Cons
did no micro manage
Nurses Aide, taking care of a patient in which he was bed ridden and could not do anything for himself.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Wooster, OHJanuary 30, 2013
Complete care of the patient, cooking and feeding him, Complete care of the Laundry, light housekeeping, Using a lift to take him in and out of bed, Short walk in a wheelchair, if the weather permitted in the afternoon before putting him back in bed. I learned what it was like for a person whom was very active, (like my husband), to never be able to communicate or do anything for himself. Co-workers, there were none. The hardest parts were using the lift to put him in his wheelchair and out of bed, and to see what a good and active man so helpless. The most enjoyable part, I guess was being able to help and care for the patient, and being there for his wife, Whom loved and cared for him.
Pros
the assurance of a job well done.
Cons
no benefits
At every event everyone has a blast helping the homeless.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 10, 2015
I sponsor United Way on my facebook and ask for donations online to help stop homeless families from living in the streets. I am proud to support this charity "The United Way of LosAngeles"
A wonderful place to work for a good cause
Director Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo,NYJune 28, 2012
A typical day at United way was always busy. The day started off with filing records from the previous day. Recording the pledges into the computer system. Recording the amounts that was giving for donations. After all the records was entered into the system. The Directed and I worked closed together. I had to write and send thank you letters out to many corporation. I also entered information into spread sheets for the director. The hardest part of my job was making sure that the donations matched the amount on the folder to the amount in the system to the amount that was actually donated. That was the hardest part and the most enjoyable. Just to be apart of an organization that shows you everyday that people do care and we can make a difference was a GREAT experience.
Very fun and productive place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shelby, NCNovember 12, 2012
A typical day at work was making sure payroll was done correctly and all mileage was accounted for. I learned how to do payroll. Management was firm put great to work for. My co workers were the best. The hardest part of the job was during campaign season. Making sure we had all the letters out and had the correct address and letter in each envelope.
Refuse to ever support this company
I & R Specialist (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJune 29, 2013
I refused to support the United Way. I worked at one of their programs that was severely underfunded and management kept tackling more & more tasks to employees without anything in return. There were no benefits for the job. If you had to take a day off, then you had to lose on the pay. The stress was unbelievably high! This is a job I took as a Part Time position and I could not believe how high the stress was. Management did not care and refused to listen to employees ideas on how to improve the work place. The only thing worth it was the pay until they started laying off those who made the most, in return for hiring lower paying individuals. UW is a joke. The CEO makes just under 300k and no non profit CEO should ever make that MUCH!
Pros
pay was decent
Cons
no benefits, uncaring management, toxic environment, stressful
I was a forkl life operator
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 23, 2015
I enjoyed the work enviorment and be ing able to wrk the night shift was piecful, the envioemrnt was always clean and we always had the propper ampount of people to work with on our team
I enjoyed the work and the staff
Internship (Data Entry) (Former Employee) –  West Alabama, ALMay 23, 2014
Answer calls from clients needing assistance with community referrals.
Make referrals to appropriate community agencies
Contact community agencies and updated United Ways Community Directory.
Maintain agencies information database
Pros
i enjoyed the work and the staff
Very friendly workplace
Senior Bilingual Contact Center Agent (Current Employee) –  AtlantaSeptember 12, 2013
I learn different way to help individuals and families in need. My co-workers are very kind and respectful, as well my supervisor.
What I most enjoy of my job is the recognition of my effort and capability.
Pros
friendly workplace.
Cons
no much possibilities to growth inside the organization.
Outstanding community service
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Conyers, GAFebruary 2, 2015
Daily supporting the community through multiple projects and providing education, work referral, and outstanding community contributions.
Pros
daily encouragement
Very good, but pursuing to expand my career
Bilingual Navigation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TxSeptember 19, 2013
Very good, but pursuing to expand my career. A typical day at the calling center is taking calls from callers who are in need of any social services in the local community. Most enjoyable is to hear the callers, say thank you, you have been a big help.
Pros
free lunches
Great people, Good being able to help people in need.
Handyman (Current Employee) –  Hemet, CANovember 5, 2014
mostly driving a large tractor with large mower, mowing 100 acre lots for weed abatement, for people unable to do so. also home repair for the elderly.
Pros
helping people in need
Cons
low pay, no healthcare, not enough hours
Enjoyed working with a great non-profit organization within the community of Los Angeles County
Financial Account Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 7, 2014
Excellent opportunity to utilize my financial and accounting skills. The most enjoyable part of this job was being able to give back to the community.
Pros
diverse organization
Cons
professional growth
Review
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJune 27, 2013
Coordinate volunteer teams to complete Hurricane and Tornado Relief efforts.
Lead team of up to 50 people at a time
Help clients rebuild property and restore their lives back to before the storm.
Work one on one with Habitat for Humanity and United Way, Local Churches and community leaders.
It was great extracurricular work
Volunteer Income Tax Assistant (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAJuly 5, 2012
I loved being able to volunteer and work for my country. Also, it was great to know that I was helping people without charge to them so all they had to worry about was waiting for their returns or paying their taxes.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
the work was a trial by fire
Rewarding to see how many lives we touched with help from United Way Pledges
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Keene, NHMarch 20, 2012
Loved working here and seeing all the lives we touched in many different ways, from abuse to hunger and also some medical expenses. Watching people pledge their money to help others make it through life was great.
Good Place to Work
Vice-President, Resource Development (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJanuary 21, 2014
This United Way Office merged with with larger unit. It was a great place to work and raise funds for more than 50 non-profits. The corporate and community networking opportunities were wonderful.
Pros
great community asset
Cons
merged with large organizion
Great work from home opportunities
Member Distribution Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 28, 2013
The hardest part of the job is managing traffic when traveling to various project sites.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with bids and contractors.
Pros
paid vacations
Cons
you encounter the good, the bad and the ugly all by yourself
Motivated people working together
Campaign Liaison Intern (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJune 12, 2013
Work place giving campaigns are hard work and you need a motivated people working with you. The leadership didn't give a ton of job specific training but you learn as you go. Fun office environment too.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
stressful workplan
A great way to give back to your comunity.
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Selma AlabamaNovember 20, 2014
I worked at doc-in-a-bus where I helped people who needed to see a doctor but could not afford one see volunteer doctors at a free clinic. I worked at registration, took vitals, and run labs.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Way. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3