UnitedHealth Group Employee Reviews

Found 4,066 reviews matching the search
My Experience at United Healthcare Call Center
Medicare and retirement Advocate (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXFebruary 12, 2017
A typical day at work is a high call volume of medicare retirees who calling for health benefits, plan explanation, billing clarification or claim adjustments. What I learned at United Healthcare is communication is key in all that you do. Communicating with management allowed me to excel as an Advocate and grow as a person. The workplace culture is very casual at United Healthcare. The hardest part of the job are the broad amount of skills you are required to take responsibility, but in the long-run, it is what gives you job security. The most enjoyable part of the job the employee involvement; United Healthcare strives for their employees to model what we preach. There for continuously engage employees in various healthy activities throughout the year that will help them reach their goals.
Lots of Opportunity, Poor Management Practices
Director IT Architecture/Consultant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 4, 2017
There is more opportunity for lateral job movement and challenging work than most companies. The management practices are less than desirable regarding career growth, promotional opportunities, and pay for performance. If you come into UHG/Optum, negotiate for a higher salary as adjustments are unjust and it is all about how high your salary is when you enter the organization. HR/HC will pay new hires outside of the organization in lesser positions more than someone with 10+ yrs of experience in a higher position, no adjustments are made. A lot of Sr. Management talk the company culture, but it is still about their bottom line and bonus, I have never seen such greed in Sr Management. Very poor Career Growth once you reach lower level management.
Pros
Telecommuting, lots of great people, challenging opportunities
Cons
Pay, Nil Career Growth, Poor Management
Official response from UnitedHealth Group
January 10, 2017

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying the pros of telecommuting and the great people that make UnitedHealth Group what it is. There are actually quite a few career path resources available to those at every level of their career. Just check out the internal website.

very stressfull environment
Provider Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oldsmar, FLJanuary 27, 2017
I was very excited to be hired for the company because I wanted to work for a large company that had opportunity for advancement. However, the point system and metrics system was much more difficult to meet than I had expected. I was very dissappointed with the healthcare benefits for the employees, I found them to be very expensive with high copays and deductibles. The bonus system was almost impossible to meet. The work environment was very pleasant and there was help available when needed, however I found myself uncomfortable when asking. I guess it just wasn't the job for me..
I found the management to be unorganized and the system had many flaws which were trying to be addressed but I found it to be very confusing.
Pros
convenient location
Cons
healthcare for employees very expensive
This is a wonderful company to work for!
Service Coordinator/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 26, 2017
This company has a great culture that you are immediately apart of the team from day one. Management is involved with you as support every step of the way. Everyone on the team is more than happy to help you learn your new position. The company and management are extremely supportive when it comes to your personal family and needs! I have never worked for a company so supportive of putting your family first!! You accrue a lot of PTO from the first day and some of your hours can carry over to the next year. The company actually wants you to use your PTO! The insurance isn't the best or worst that I have had but all the other benefits are GREAT!! The hardest part of the job for me was leaving the bedside.
Pros
Great culture and people to work with.
Cons
Insurance benefits are not as great as you would think for working for an insurance company.
Work to the max
Executive Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNJanuary 3, 2017
The culture is to work to the max with very minimal interaction with coworkers. This causes a rather robotic and exhausting environment. I worked a position that allowed me to interact with various departments and it's usually the same. Everyone is so busy. I realized 200k+ employees causes for a lot of moving people and people coming and going. If all you want is a check then this is the place. Benefits are typical. You'd think HSA contributions or medical for the employee would be paid for from the largest health insurance company but it isn't. I irecently interviewed at a small business where HSA was doubled and insurance paid for employee. Given the size of the company management hears complaints, addresses them once or twice, then it's never heard of again. I can't stress enough how this place is so robotic. The place for Office Space would be more enjoyable. Not sarcastic.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Team inquiries to management will be brushed aside. Very robotic corporate environment.
Beware!!! Not all it's cracked up to be.
RN, NICU Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Lisle, ILNovember 13, 2016
I worked as an onsite case manager. There was a high turnover, low raises each year, and a very heavy caseload most times. There is no room for advancement. There is a lot of favoritism shown and not much support from management. In the 6 years that I worked for the company I had 3 different managers and 6 (maybe more) medical directors. Benefits are not so great for this to be an insurance company. There is no work life balance and there are so many changes that it is hard to keep up. This company also does not pay out the balance of your PTO that you have earned once you leave the company.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Work life balance, raises, benefits, opportunities for advancement
Official response from UnitedHealth Group
January 10, 2017

Employees are encouraged to take their career advancement into their own hands. UnitedHealth Group does provide a lot of resources to employees to sort our where they want to go, but ultimately, the employee drives those conversations. Rewards and benefits are comparable to other positions in the industry and work/life flexibility is very important with this company. My manager understands that my schedule needs to flex a little when life throws us curveballs. Learn more about our culture here: http://uhg.hr/pnmisval Sincerely, Erika Cassidy, Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

Horrible Place to Work
Benefit Advocate (Former Employee) –  Chico, CAJanuary 24, 2017
I would not recommend anyone to work here. They're so desperate for people that they'll hire just about anyone because the turn over rate is ridiculously high. The job is stressful, the overtime is crazy, and the benefits HORRIBLE! I am thousands of dollars in debt now because of their awful benefits, which made it difficult for me to be a good customer service rep because I knew just how bad the insurance was!!!! Management likes to play favorites, and the stats yout have to maintain are impossible. United Healthcare does not care about its customers or employees; that was made abundantly clear with how bad the training was. Calls are literally back-to-back, and if you're not one of the favorites, you're going to get the worst calls all day, every day. Bottom line: the pay is NOT worth the amount of stress this job causes.
Cons
Excellent company with many employment opportunities and ability to work from home.
Smarts Processor (Current Employee) –  Kingston, NYJanuary 20, 2017
United Health Group provides employees with a computer and internet to be able to work from home. Work schedules are flexible. There are many employment opportunities. There are many teams. As part of a smaller team you get individual attention from your supervisor. There are many activities, around holidays and other employee appreciation events to keep the workplace fun and inclusive. The hardest part of working at UHG as telecommuter is any problems you have with your computer, you are responsible for solving. I enjoy the daily interactions with my team, to report work direction, goals and share ideas.
Pros
Work from Home
Cons
lack of raises
Diverse work enviroment
Sr Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXJanuary 9, 2017
• Respond to and resolve on the first call, customer service inquires and issues by identifying the topic and type of assistance the caller needs such as benefits, eligibility and claims, financial spending accounts and correspondence.
• Help guide and educate customers about the fundamentals and benefits of consumer-driven health care topics to include managing their health and well-being by selecting the best benefit plan options, maximizing the value of their health plan benefits and choosing a quality care provider.
• Assist customers in navigating myuhc.com and other UnitedHealth Group websites and encourage and reassure them to become self-sufficient.
• Own problem through to resolution on behalf of the customer in real time or through comprehensive and timely follow-up with the member.
Pros
Location in Sugar Land, Tx
Cons
Bad Management
Call Center Environment
Customer Service Advocate (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAFebruary 23, 2017
I work from home, the hardest part of this position is the high standard of metrics you must meet in order to maintain employment they change daily. You cannot take off work unless you were approved two weeks in advance or longer without receiving a point. 4 points is an immediate cap. Time off requests are in PTO bids against the rest of your teams and seniority always receives first bids. Shifts do change and have to bid on quarterly. If you have a family this may not be the place of employment for you. The job pays very well even if you only have a HS Diploma and yearly raises are an option based on performance levels.
Pros
Work at Home Option
Cons
Limited time off capability
Lots of Opportunities in both UHC and Optum
Sr. Analyst (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeJanuary 7, 2017
I started working in Optum and loved my job and the people. I learned a lot. Within 1 year I moved to a higher position in UHC. I am not currently working in the realm of my background and experience, but I can not complain because I work from home, make my own hours I want to work, and work with fantastic people. I have also learned a ton in the position I am in now. I love my boss too. I am ready to move up to the next level. Only thing I do not like, is they put a Big Brother software on our computers and after 3 seconds if we are not moving the mouse, it clocks us. This software also tells Mgt what applications we are using, what websites we are going to etc etc. We are also required to log what we are doing through a separate software. I am not pleased with Management for these 2 softwares. I do not think it is fair to do this to an associate. Otherwise I love the company.
Pros
Opportunity, Flexible, Great Benefits, Work at Home, Great People
Cons
Big Brother Software!!!
Very fast paced environment
Health Advocate (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WI 54304October 28, 2016
My typical day would be to answer incoming phone calls from members, and be the advocate for their healthcare. Answer any questions they may have in regards to their policy, providers, renewal information, etc.

Management was very good. They were almost always available to listen.

Co-workers were usually all very nice. The work environment did not allow for unprofessionalism in regards to work ethic. We worked together as a team.

The hardest part of the job, was the number of phone calls taken daily. Not much time to get away if you needed to unwind from a difficult call. Very micromanaged.

The most enjoyable part of my job, was talking with our insured employers, and their employee's. Most people were very easy to talk to.
Pros
Flexible schedules, good pay and benefits. Room for advancement
Cons
Fast paced, could be stressful, depending on postion.
Fast paced; challenging environment
PROJECT MANAGER for OPTUM HEALTH GROUP (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 12, 2016
Its a good place to work but be ready to have your multitasking skills at 100% at all times as they cram to many projects per PM into one person. They want you to have a good balance of home live and good quality of living for personal healthy but I and others do not get that at OPTUM / UHG. My personal roll was both a "Cross App" and "App PM" roles with 12 - 14 projects running simultaneously. I came on as a contractor, offered a FTE position but turned it down as the FTE pay was to the very and the benefits and paying for parking was not beneficial to becoming an FTE. Getting help was often a difficult task as well. As much as management states "ask for help" if you need it, 98% of the time it was non existent. Ask a million and one questions within the first two weeks of starting here or you will be lost of who is who and what person represents what LOB.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Too much of a work load and too many chiefs in the pot
Not a great place to work. Advocate
Advocate (Current Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLNovember 19, 2016
I've been working at uhc for 5 years. I started off as a tier 1 member service advocate in August 2011, then moved on to be a tier 2 RSS agent as of November 2013. It was a lateral move, no pay increase and the biggest mistake ever. I take 70-110 calls per day. The trainers who get paid $50,000+ are not training these agents right which causes them to call tier 2 all day long for questions not in our job description. We are here to do billing and enrollment processes but get calls for everything under the sun as well as from every single department: enrollment, billing, compliance, subject matter experts, supervisors, claims, and quality assurance. It's stressful with all day calls. Micromanaging. The benefits are highly expensive and compensation that could be good is realistically not due to the cost of benefits and out of pocket expenses! It's hard to move out of the Rss department and I'm tired of working here.
Pros
Paycheck.
Cons
Micromanagement, no breathing time after stressful calls, constant calls, horrible benefits, no sick days, no work life balance.
Work at home
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 4, 2017
I have been on go every since I started. I feel like the training has been rushed and the bottom line is numbers and metrics. The team works several accounts at a time often crossed trained. Not a clear outlined path to clinical growth or promotion. I feel like I am only giving bits and pieces of information at the time from co-workers and management.
Pros
Salary, Working from home, Fair & Balanced Manager from what I can tell so far, Professional
Cons
Taking PTO days, Extended work hours to meet goals, Favortism, Rushed training, somewhat micromanaged
Horrible
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLOctober 20, 2016
I was an RN there. Horrible. Unrealistic expectations for productivity. Watch you like jail wardens
Can hardly get a break to go to the bathroom other than your break times. They expect you to get all these RN licenses but give you no time to do it. I had to use PTO days to do it because the board is closed weekends.
Pay is lousy... no raises, way too many audits, hard to get time off, have to work holidays and some weekends. Upper management is always changing requirements but middle management was actually nice. The main source of support there is your fellow co-workers.
Pros
The other nurses are great. Middle management was nice
Cons
Unrealistic productivity expectations, very poor raises if any
Productive work place
Member Advocate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 13, 2017
UnitedHealth Group is a really great company to work for, they have good benefits and great pay. I was hired onto the 'Medicare and Retirement' department dealing with older members and their benefits. Training was 11 weeks long they cover everything you need to know, there are a lot of systems that are used. It seemed like there was opportunity for advancement, they were always growing and there is a work from home option as well. I don't like how hr was set up like a call center you never get to see anyone in person always have to call and somethings do go overlooked.
Pros
Benefits, pay
Cons
Hr
Exceptional Overtime Expectations
Sr. Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSOctober 22, 2016
There is not a work life balance that belongs to United. However their recruiters help to remind you that for some people coming from a retail or hospice environment, UHG pays double. The benefits were great the first year and then the required HSA bundled high deductible plans were being pushed. I felt management was held to a different standard. Their mandatory meetings in mid-day left much to the imagination. So much needs to be examined at sporadic intervals to know what actually is the UHG culture.
Pros
Employee Appreciation Week
Cons
Specifically timed breaks at set times
Care Coordinator--coordinated services for vulnerable population
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Independence, KSFebruary 1, 2017
I was a telecommuter and enjoyed working from my home. The benefits were quite good, the pay was very good. I didn't like the favoritism which occurred in my team, I'm not a "yes" person and speak my mind when I have concerned. The company was more focused on money versus providing services. I worked as a care coordinator for Intellectually Disabled clients/members, and I decided to leave when I was being told to see where I could cut services to save the state and company money. I ended up having to spend hours each day writing authorizations. I decided after years to leave.
Pros
Favoritism between teammates and manager. Manager lacked ethics.
Cons
Writing authorizations, lack of focus as a social worker
Unreasonable workloads
Client Services Manager (Current Employee) –  FloridaNovember 4, 2016
United does not see employees as people, more like production machines. The amount of work they require someone to do is not balanced between employees and when the volume increases they do not add employees, just expect those in place to pick up the extra. Many times they find ways to eliminate positions leaving less people with the same or more work. They also lay off MANY people working in the US and outsource to India and other countries. It is all about the bottom line at UHC, not about providing good medical coverage to members.
Pros
Work from home positions
Cons
Insurance benefits are terrible for EEs, no job security, very task-oriented.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UnitedHealth Group. Our community is ready to answer.

76%