UnitedHealth Group
1,480 reviews

UnitedHealth Group Employer Reviews

BILLING AND ENROLLMENT SPECIALIST (Current Employee), Roanoke, VASeptember 16, 2014
Great starting pay and benefits, many opportunities for advancement.
Overall good company
Sr. Pharmacy Claims Business Process Analyst (Current Employee), Plano, TXSeptember 15, 2014
Great opprotunities for advancement
Good training
Good upward training
Good management
Business Consultant (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNSeptember 14, 2014
Great to place to start a career and continue a career. Just be ready to put in a good amount of hours.
Community and State Claims Project Manager (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOSeptember 13, 2014
Within every position the company makes you work hard and learn a great deal of information to help you become a more productive person in the company culture.
excellent company
Health Educator (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INSeptember 12, 2014
Rewarding job helping others achieve their health goals. great work . No travel involved.
It's a Job
Clinical Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee), Atlanta, GASeptember 11, 2014
Pros: 5 day week with weekends & holidays off. decent pay. shuttle service to marta.
Cons: rampant, unchecked favoritism. no diversity - at all. nebulous, unapproachable, and ineffective management. malignant and toxic work environment and morale is extremely low. inept, unmotivated, co-workers (there are a few exceptions.) deplorable health benefits!
I work for a segment within the company. This segment was acquired by UHG in 2012, so my review is based on my experience within the segment and may not apply to the company as a whole.

A typical day within my office consists of arriving promptly to set up my work station, and within minutes of settling into my cubicle being informed of the latest – more... scuttlebutt du jour - regardless if I wish to hear it or not. Once the shift has started, I field incessant, repetitive, and mundane phone calls, repeating the same information ad nauseum to people who've heard it 10,000 times before, yet still ask questions and become irate as if our processes are totally foreign to them. You are not allowed to place callers on hold, even if their issue requires brief research to be resolved. There is often NO break in between calls, and breaks are often cancelled depending on which way the wind blows.

High accuracy and productivity is expected at all times despite the fact that the computer systems and software are outdated, not well maintained, and frequently crashes. Our phone systems are shoddy at best, and the phone prompts takes callers to every other department save the one they need. It is sometimes impossible to answer a call because the antiquated telephony software becomes unresponsive, opening you up to a possible "call avoidance" infraction.

I'm not required to use any critical thought, creativity, or free-thinking. Employing these traits will cause management to regard you as if you have three heads with five eyes a piece.

Speaking of management - it is nebulous and unsupportive at best, and counter-intuitive and inept at worst. No two managers will give you the same answer on any one topic, and changes are often made not because they are necessary for the "big picture", or for efficiency's sake, but just because they can be made. Change is a constant (true with any organization). But the changes within this organization are arbitrarily and cavalierly made without consideration to how they impact workflow efficiency, productivity, service levels, or customer satisfaction. Managers and supervisors blatantly show favoritism at the expense of office morale. Productivity suffers as a result, and management attempts to sugar coat their actions and place the blame on staff versus showing a modicum of integrity and owning their mistakes. All of this has created a team that is anything but unified and a microcosm of misery that would drive any sane person to alcoholism.

My department's fascist approach to personnel management would make Mussolini a proud man. Prepare to have personal liberties stripped as you walk through the door: you are not allowed to have your cell phone (at all, for ANY reason, despite the fact other departments aren't held to this same standard.) Most reading material outside of company provided propaganda is verboten (with the insane amount of calls coming in, it's unlikely you'd have time to read a sentence, let alone a whole book). Need to use the restroom? You're allotted an average of 4 minutes a day for bathroom breaks (I hope you're able to pop a squat, wipe and wash quickly for they DO monitor this.) You're not allowed music at your desk, no matter how tasteful or benign. And no browsing the web (although I wholly understand and somewhat support this, this organization takes it to the extreme.) My personal favorite is the frequent use of scathing, electronic vitriol mass e-mailed to all associates in response to the impropriety of one or two. Apparently, it is a foreign concept to address those individuals versus chiding the entire group. There's a considerable difference between announcing the code of conduct and disparaging and entire group for the actions of a few. We all have copies of the same handbook, code of ethics, and code of conduct. These rules do not apply, however, if you are one of the manager's pets.

If you have an issue within your department, a co-worker, or - heaven forbid - a member of management, don't expect help from Human Resources. They are in place for the company's interest ONLY and couldn't care less about the individual. You are just another number. Never forget that should you be employed here.

Co-workers. Hm. Most of my co-workers are duplicitous and quite immature. There's much gossip in the office, and no small amount of "fraternization" between ranks. Many spend their time trying to police the actions of others versus letting management do their jobs. Someone will always be worried about what YOU are doing and not about doing their jobs. Oh, I should also mention there is absolutely NO ethnic diversity here. I doubt this is by happenstance and is solely by design. I feel that this has also contributed to the nocuous environment that pervades the office. I find it hilarious that there hasn't been an EEOC complaint filed yet.

The most difficult part of my job? Aside from the info above, deplorable benefit packages (high deductibles, high premiums, scant coverage), dealing with the office politics, the often rude, opprobrious providers that call, and the lack of internal support is by far the shining jewels in this category.

The most enjoyable part of the job? Well, it's something to add to the resume. Leaving the office at the end of my shift is quite nice. We accrue PTO quickly. Good luck holding on to it, though.

What I've learned? I've learned that I can do - and deserve - much better, and as such, I have resumed my employment search. – less
Have been looking for other employment since the day i was hired here.
Sr. Provider Data / Claims Analyst (Current Employee), MinnesotaSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: low insurance premiums
Cons: low pay; no career potential; just a monkey in a cube
No career path/promotion opportunities unless you are a favorite regardless of talent or drive to succeed; Managment constantly rotated I haven't had the same supervisor for more than one year; Poor consideration for longer term employees who still make LESS than new off the street employees which is sad. Don't care about your previous education/experience – more... in relation to your potential.
On the other hand; the flexibility to work at home when you need to is great. As far as HR is concerned; they are impossible; and their employee handbook references everything at 'management discretion'; which means they can get away with whatever they want as there are no structured rules. – less
Great Doctors.
Intake Coordinator (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZSeptember 10, 2014
Urology office. I did check out and check in at times. managed authorizations for procedures/ tests. scheduled appointment . phones 6 lines.
Overworked & not appreciated
RN Utilization Nurse (Former Employee), Tucson, AZSeptember 10, 2014
Worked 70-80 hours per week with frequent employee turnover. Management discouraging and not supportive.
Good benefits and higher management.
Client Services (Current Employee), Oldsmar, FLSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: 401k, stock options, 144 hrs of pto annually.
Cons: mid-level management
I believe UHG as a whole is a good organization. I learned so much about the health insurance industry and countless administrative-related duties.

A few of my colleagues have become lasting friends.

The most difficult part of the job is working with mid-level management to resolve client and employee issues.

The most enjoyable part of my job is – more... making a difference for my customers. Nothing beats the feeling of helping someone and gaining their trust thru true resolution. When I can tell that customers know I care, I am a happy camper! – less
Good place to learn healthcare benefits and claim processing
UMR-Customer Service First Rep (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: good work atomosphere
Cons: quality goals are very strict
Good work tone daily as team atmosphere is encouraged. I have learned medical benefits and terms and how to process claims. The hardest part of the job is the quality aspect and accuracy. I really enjoy the people I work with and the work atmosphere.
productive
Sr. J2EE Developer (Current Employee), Basking Ridge, NJSeptember 9, 2014
at initial stages of my career i am really honored working with IBM
Great Place to Work
Director of Finance, Distribution Analytics (Current Employee), Minnetonka, MNSeptember 8, 2014
I have worked at UnitedHealthcare for 12 years (college intern) and have really enjoyed my job progression through the company and learning more and more about the business on a daily basis. UnitedHealthcare has provides great opportunities to volunteer in the community and promotes a great job culture.
International
International Claims Manager(Contractual) (Former Employee), Towson, MDSeptember 7, 2014
Pros:
International culture
Decent salary

Cons:
No work/life balance
Inept management
Member Advisory Board
Advisory Board Member (Current Employee), New Castle, DESeptember 7, 2014
Pros: free lunches and accommodations
Cons: not enough members on board
I receive United Healthcare as a customer, so it is great that I can offer feedback and suggestions in improvements in regards to services and products offered by United Healthcare Community Plan. Of course, this is the most enjoyable part of my role or job.

A typical day as a member involves attending a meeting where lunch is provided and I am able – more... to express my concerns to other members and employees of United Healthcare. I have become really acquainted with the employees or management, and they are extremely accommodating and informative. Unfortunately, the same members do not consistently stay the same or attend the meetings. As a result, that is the hardest part of the job.

Overall, what I have learned from being a member is that United Healthcare values their customers and the people within the community. More importantly, they would like for others in the community to get involved. – less
Productive and Exciting Place to work where employees are groomed for success!
Admin Clinical Associate Coordinator (Current Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 6, 2014
Pros: advancement
Cons: breaks
I enjoy a company of important, dignity and respect!
A place where work can also be a family of coworkers that have one common goal, and that's the success of the company and the team!
Productive and Fast Paced Claims Resolutions.
Claims Processor, Quality Analyst for 16 Years (Former Employee), Minnetonka, MNSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: working as flexible schedule core schedule as a telecommuter processing caims to members/providers.
Cons: metrics/goals difficult to meet on a daily basis.
A typical day at work Fast Paced Review and Research of Medical Complex Claims and Adjustments in an Electronic Queue, Including Medical, Medicare, Medicaid-OPS-Out Patient Revenue and CPT Codes, ICD-9 Diagnosis Codes Sending out Electronically System Generated Informational and Overpayment Letters.

The Most Difficult part of this Job was the Goals/Metrics – more... to be met Daily were very difficult to Meet due to the volume and extent of Research on each individual Claim Issue.

The Most Enjoyable part of the job was taking Great Pride in the Completion and Resolution of each and every Claim Issue to be able to Assist both the Member's and Providers on a Daily Basis.

Working as A Telecommuter Claims Processor and Claims Adjuster, Quality Analyst, We were not able to Meet our Co-Worker's Face to Face, only speaking to Our Team Members and Supervisors, Business Managers via Conference Call or Web-Ex Meeting and Training Demonstrations. – less
Productive and Culture
Senior Broker Agent Service Rep (Current Employee), Roanoke, VASeptember 4, 2014
Culture is a main focus whether it be external or internal and I enjoy being apart of this movement.
Medical Clains Examiner II (Former Employee), Plano, TXSeptember 3, 2014
Claim knowledgeable, multi-task, processor. multi cultural, strong customer service skills.
Nice work place room to grow
Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee), Saint Louis Park, MNSeptember 3, 2014
United is good place to work. Mangers work with you to develop you skills. Plenty of room to grow.

1 2 3 4 5

About UnitedHealth Group

When you work to better people’s lives, one of those lives will always be yours. We have modest goals: Improve the lives – Read more

UnitedHealth Group Photos