UnitedHealth Group Employee Reviews

Found 3,771 reviews matching the search
kindercare
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WINovember 7, 2016
I learned how to be more detailed oriented. I also learned how to react to different situations, to be patient and understanding.
I did a lot of computer work and learned how to maneuver around.
I also was in charge of helping the other staff when they had trouble accessing the computer etc. i was available for the staff when they had questions.
Pros
had a chance to meet wonderful people and learned many customer service skills.
Cons
Working a split shift. I was always responsible for opening the center and closing it.
Difficult job advancement and favoritism
Case Management (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCNovember 4, 2016
A typical work day is fast paced back to back calls. Management shows favoritism and the hardest part of the job is constant change and no support. The most enjoyable part of the job is talking with the elderly population and helping when you can. Co-workers are awesome. I learned that this place is not good for work advancement nor do they care about work life balance. All the values they teach the company does not stand by.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Insurance coverage, no flexibility, management
Heavy workloads, little guidance
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 7, 2016
Heavy workloads, little guidance.
• Onsite Merger and Acquisition Liaison Senior Project Manager for XLHealth merger and acquisition working in the Integrated Competency Center.
• Responsible for identifying all applications used by XLHeath and migration to acceptable trusted UHG applications.
• Migration of acquired 2800 XLHealth FTE’s regarding Network, laptops, printers, migration points and tablets..
• Conversion of all Nurse Practioners.taplets and responsible of retrieval of XLHealth tablets.
• Migration of Pharmacies for acquired Entities Nationwide regarding Network migration and User Acceptance Testing.
Pros
Work from home.
Cons
12 hour days
High stress
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WINovember 17, 2016
Answering calls about callers health care benefits and quoting them the cost of the services asked about. If you quote it wrong, you could cause irreparable harm to that person's health and finances.They don't train you fully either, four weeks in they throw you on the phones.
When you ask for help their response is go read the job aid.
I had a caller that demanded to speak to a supervisor. I was told to transfer the member to another call center because our supervisors didn't want to deal with the members call.
Pros
Pay
Cons
No set schedule, no training, no help
Productive and fun place to work if with the right group.
Sr. Solution Manager/Sr. Architect - ORCA Program (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CANovember 11, 2016
When you work for a company you should be able to lookup to your manager for guidance. If your manager is a person who wants you to shake your head for everything He/She says then then it is not a place to work.

If constructive input is not taken then ????

A manager should have a open mind and willing to accept change. If not then it is not the right place to work.

You must me judged on what you contribute to the team not on being a secretary to your boss.
Beware!!! Not all it's cracked up to be.
RN, NICU Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Lisle, ILNovember 13, 2016
I worked as an onsite case manager. There was a high turnover, low raises each year, and a very heavy caseload most times. There is no room for advancement. There is a lot of favoritism shown and not much support from management. In the 6 years that I worked for the company I had 3 different managers and 6 (maybe more) medical directors. Benefits are not so great for this to be an insurance company. There is no work life balance and there are so many changes that it is hard to keep up. This company also does not pay out the balance of your PTO that you have earned once you leave the company.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Work life balance, raises, benefits, opportunities for advancement
Very productive they have a metric system that is required to meet on processing medical claims
Claims processor (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 7, 2016
Daily metrics are very high & required on the amount of claims that are mandatory to meet daily, your goals are to focus on quality processing with no errors and to meet production standards.

Co-worker are great they focus on production processing medical and hospital claims. The environment is no talking, only on break or lunches in designated areas only. No asking question to other co-workers regarding any claims.

The company is extremely flexible regards taking time off and make up time.
Fast paced yet fun work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXNovember 7, 2016
Typical day at work consist of answering several calls from members and providing insurance benefits according to their insurance plan.

Learned the importance of being patient and how important this information is to our third generation.

the most enjoyable part would be hearing the members reaction or sigh of relief that their medical need would be taken care of or covered by their insurance provider.
All you are is a NUMBER! Provider Services Rep
Provider Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oldsmar, FLNovember 27, 2016
UHC Oldsmar is all about your call numbers not about its' employees.Management at best is very young with no experience. It's a good old boy network and if they like you your are not written up with below standard numbers or the days you miss don't count toward your attendance. If you like being a robot this JOB is for you.... If you don't kiss a** you will not be in the click!
Pros
A Job, Nice team members.
Cons
Management, Systems Outdated, No Support
More Work achieved
Sales force Developer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 2, 2016
The organization is extraordinary with regards to work/life adjust. With my experience I would say they are the best. They are extremely required in the group whether it is the organizations possess individuals or volunteering in and around the group and I am exceptionally pleased to have been a part of that. The remuneration is awesome, you need to go in knowing your value and doing research, as some other organization however.
Pros
great health benefits with good insurance policy
Cons
limited breaks
Unreasonable workloads
Client Services Manager (Current Employee) –  FloridaNovember 4, 2016
United does not see employees as people, more like production machines. The amount of work they require someone to do is not balanced between employees and when the volume increases they do not add employees, just expect those in place to pick up the extra. Many times they find ways to eliminate positions leaving less people with the same or more work. They also lay off MANY people working in the US and outsource to India and other countries. It is all about the bottom line at UHC, not about providing good medical coverage to members.
Pros
Work from home positions
Cons
Insurance benefits are terrible for EEs, no job security, very task-oriented.
Horrible work ethics
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 17, 2016
I worked for the company for 2 years as a call center member services rep. We were treated poorly by the company where the hardest part of the job was actually showing up. They did not care about your life outside of work. They just wanted you to be there. Their occurrences lasted one year on your file per occurrence. Once you reached 5, you could be terminated. Which is absurd. That included occurrences for you even being one minute late from your lunch or break despite what circumstances might have played in to you being late. They didn't care.
Pros
wide option of work scheudles
Cons
management was terrible.
Horrible
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLOctober 20, 2016
I was an RN there. Horrible. Unrealistic expectations for productivity. Watch you like jail wardens
Can hardly get a break to go to the bathroom other than your break times. They expect you to get all these RN licenses but give you no time to do it. I had to use PTO days to do it because the board is closed weekends.
Pay is lousy... no raises, way too many audits, hard to get time off, have to work holidays and some weekends. Upper management is always changing requirements but middle management was actually nice. The main source of support there is your fellow co-workers.
Pros
The other nurses are great. Middle management was nice
Cons
Unrealistic productivity expectations, very poor raises if any
Exceptional Overtime Expectations
Sr. Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSOctober 22, 2016
There is not a work life balance that belongs to United. However their recruiters help to remind you that for some people coming from a retail or hospice environment, UHG pays double. The benefits were great the first year and then the required HSA bundled high deductible plans were being pushed. I felt management was held to a different standard. Their mandatory meetings in mid-day left much to the imagination. So much needs to be examined at sporadic intervals to know what actually is the UHG culture.
Pros
Employee Appreciation Week
Cons
Specifically timed breaks at set times
Overall fun and laid back
Sr. Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXOctober 19, 2016
A typical day at work with United Healthcare is come in sit down service the members and go home. Really not much interaction with supervisors.

What I have learned from United Healthcare is to take each persons situation and treat it as your own family or loved one.

Management can be better.

Co-Workers are always great and full of life

Not a hard part of working with United Healthcare

The most enjoyable part of my job is the commute
Pros
Drive to work
Provides healthcare needs to our military and veterans, as well as their families.
Referral Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 29, 2016
United healthcare -Military and veterans- department has given me a sense of pride knowing that I am helping and apart of a team that can hopefully change their life at the moment, by providing correct and time sensitive medical referrals.
Pros
Great health insurance, military paid leave, competitive pay
Cons
Short breaks, looking at computer for 8+ hours daily
Productive and professional work enviroment
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 15, 2016
A professional business setting with high expectations.
I have learned a lot about the health industry.
Everyone that I am surrounded by including management are understanding, kind, and willing to aid as much as possible.
The hardest part of my job is learning multiple state regulations for health insurance claims all at once.
What i most enjoy about my job is the flexibility with work at home options.
Pros
Flexibility with work from home
Cons
Leadership skills lack quality in effectively assisting further knowledge of job skills
It was great a serious illness caused me to leave.
Licensed Life & Health Agent (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 18, 2016
Great leads great corporate culture and very good pay.

While working there I closed more then 80% of the leads they provided for their Medicare advantage, Supplement and Part D plans.

They paid very well and in a timely manner!

They had a great interface online for agents to both make sales and finalize them including a signature pad to hook to a windows laptop!
Pros
Great Pay Great Leads.
Making a difference
Field Based RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Blue Ash, OHOctober 13, 2016
United health group is a very large organization that offers many opportunities and areas for growth.The most enjoyable part of my day includes caring for patients and interacting with families and staff. I have learned a lot working at united health group working closing with NP's and MD's.
Pros
Good benefits and salary.
Cons
As with any job one will encounter challenges, such as unhappy co worker that can make the job difficult.
Great Flexibility
Remote Senior Medical Coder (Current Employee) –  RemoteOctober 25, 2016
Enjoy the autonomy of remote work though, you may miss communicating with peers as you would at a regular 9 - 5. The company is expanding and if you meet expectations you will be along for the ride. Must be dependable and focused in order to be successful as a coder here. The pay does not meet expectations of such a large healthcare organization but there is plenty of OT offered and an annual bonus based on your performance/department goals.
Pros
Working remotely, good benefits (cost), overtime available, tons of postions/opportunity with organization, tuition reimbursement even for part timers
Cons
Pay not so hot, production based for coders, sense of isolation though you are apart of a huge team of people you'll never really get to know