UnitedHealth Group Employee Reviews

Found 3,897 reviews matching the search
Lots of Opportunity, Poor Management Practices
Director IT Architecture/Consultant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 4, 2017
There is more opportunity for lateral job movement and challenging work than most companies. The management practices are less than desirable regarding career growth, promotional opportunities, and pay for performance. If you come into UHG/Optum, negotiate for a higher salary as adjustments are unjust and it is all about how high your salary is when you enter the organization. HR/HC will pay new hires outside of the organization in lesser positions more than someone with 10+ yrs of experience in a higher position, no adjustments are made. A lot of Sr. Management talk the company culture, but it is still about their bottom line and bonus, I have never seen such greed in Sr Management. Very poor Career Growth once you reach lower level management.
Pros
Telecommuting, lots of great people, challenging opportunities
Cons
Pay, Nil Career Growth, Poor Management

Comment – January 10, 2017

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying the pros of telecommuting and the great people that make UnitedHealth Group what it is. There are actually quite a few career path resources available to those at every level of their career. Just check out the internal website.

Beware!!! Not all it's cracked up to be.
RN, NICU Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Lisle, ILNovember 13, 2016
I worked as an onsite case manager. There was a high turnover, low raises each year, and a very heavy caseload most times. There is no room for advancement. There is a lot of favoritism shown and not much support from management. In the 6 years that I worked for the company I had 3 different managers and 6 (maybe more) medical directors. Benefits are not so great for this to be an insurance company. There is no work life balance and there are so many changes that it is hard to keep up. This company also does not pay out the balance of your PTO that you have earned once you leave the company.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Work life balance, raises, benefits, opportunities for advancement

Comment – January 10, 2017

Employees are encouraged to take their career advancement into their own hands. UnitedHealth Group does provide a lot of resources to employees to sort our where they want to go, but ultimately, the employee drives those conversations. Rewards and benefits are comparable to other positions in the industry and work/life flexibility is very important with this company. My manager understands that my schedule needs to flex a little when life throws us curveballs. Learn more about our culture here: http://uhg.hr/pnmisval Sincerely, Erika Cassidy, Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

Work to the max
Executive Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNJanuary 3, 2017
The culture is to work to the max with very minimal interaction with coworkers. This causes a rather robotic and exhausting environment. I worked a position that allowed me to interact with various departments and it's usually the same. Everyone is so busy. I realized 200k+ employees causes for a lot of moving people and people coming and going. If all you want is a check then this is the place. Benefits are typical. You'd think HSA contributions or medical for the employee would be paid for from the largest health insurance company but it isn't. I irecently interviewed at a small business where HSA was doubled and insurance paid for employee. Given the size of the company management hears complaints, addresses them once or twice, then it's never heard of again. I can't stress enough how this place is so robotic. The place for Office Space would be more enjoyable. Not sarcastic.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Team inquiries to management will be brushed aside. Very robotic corporate environment.
Very fast paced environment
Health Advocate (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WI 54304October 28, 2016
My typical day would be to answer incoming phone calls from members, and be the advocate for their healthcare. Answer any questions they may have in regards to their policy, providers, renewal information, etc.

Management was very good. They were almost always available to listen.

Co-workers were usually all very nice. The work environment did not allow for unprofessionalism in regards to work ethic. We worked together as a team.

The hardest part of the job, was the number of phone calls taken daily. Not much time to get away if you needed to unwind from a difficult call. Very micromanaged.

The most enjoyable part of my job, was talking with our insured employers, and their employee's. Most people were very easy to talk to.
Pros
Flexible schedules, good pay and benefits. Room for advancement
Cons
Fast paced, could be stressful, depending on postion.
Diverse work enviroment
Sr Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXJanuary 9, 2017
• Respond to and resolve on the first call, customer service inquires and issues by identifying the topic and type of assistance the caller needs such as benefits, eligibility and claims, financial spending accounts and correspondence.
• Help guide and educate customers about the fundamentals and benefits of consumer-driven health care topics to include managing their health and well-being by selecting the best benefit plan options, maximizing the value of their health plan benefits and choosing a quality care provider.
• Assist customers in navigating myuhc.com and other UnitedHealth Group websites and encourage and reassure them to become self-sufficient.
• Own problem through to resolution on behalf of the customer in real time or through comprehensive and timely follow-up with the member.
Pros
Location in Sugar Land, Tx
Cons
Bad Management
Horrible
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLOctober 20, 2016
I was an RN there. Horrible. Unrealistic expectations for productivity. Watch you like jail wardens
Can hardly get a break to go to the bathroom other than your break times. They expect you to get all these RN licenses but give you no time to do it. I had to use PTO days to do it because the board is closed weekends.
Pay is lousy... no raises, way too many audits, hard to get time off, have to work holidays and some weekends. Upper management is always changing requirements but middle management was actually nice. The main source of support there is your fellow co-workers.
Pros
The other nurses are great. Middle management was nice
Cons
Unrealistic productivity expectations, very poor raises if any
Exceptional Overtime Expectations
Sr. Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSOctober 22, 2016
There is not a work life balance that belongs to United. However their recruiters help to remind you that for some people coming from a retail or hospice environment, UHG pays double. The benefits were great the first year and then the required HSA bundled high deductible plans were being pushed. I felt management was held to a different standard. Their mandatory meetings in mid-day left much to the imagination. So much needs to be examined at sporadic intervals to know what actually is the UHG culture.
Pros
Employee Appreciation Week
Cons
Specifically timed breaks at set times
Not a great place to work. Advocate
Advocate (Current Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLNovember 19, 2016
I've been working at uhc for 5 years. I started off as a tier 1 member service advocate in August 2011, then moved on to be a tier 2 RSS agent as of November 2013. It was a lateral move, no pay increase and the biggest mistake ever. I take 70-110 calls per day. The trainers who get paid $50,000+ are not training these agents right which causes them to call tier 2 all day long for questions not in our job description. We are here to do billing and enrollment processes but get calls for everything under the sun as well as from every single department: enrollment, billing, compliance, subject matter experts, supervisors, claims, and quality assurance. It's stressful with all day calls. Micromanaging. The benefits are highly expensive and compensation that could be good is realistically not due to the cost of benefits and out of pocket expenses! It's hard to move out of the Rss department and I'm tired of working here.
Pros
Paycheck.
Cons
Micromanagement, no breathing time after stressful calls, constant calls, horrible benefits, no sick days, no work life balance.
Lots of Opportunities in both UHC and Optum
Sr. Analyst (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeJanuary 7, 2017
I started working in Optum and loved my job and the people. I learned a lot. Within 1 year I moved to a higher position in UHC. I am not currently working in the realm of my background and experience, but I can not complain because I work from home, make my own hours I want to work, and work with fantastic people. I have also learned a ton in the position I am in now. I love my boss too. I am ready to move up to the next level. Only thing I do not like, is they put a Big Brother software on our computers and after 3 seconds if we are not moving the mouse, it clocks us. This software also tells Mgt what applications we are using, what websites we are going to etc etc. We are also required to log what we are doing through a separate software. I am not pleased with Management for these 2 softwares. I do not think it is fair to do this to an associate. Otherwise I love the company.
Pros
Opportunity, Flexible, Great Benefits, Work at Home, Great People
Cons
Big Brother Software!!!
Fast paced; challenging environment
PROJECT MANAGER for OPTUM HEALTH GROUP (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 12, 2016
Its a good place to work but be ready to have your multitasking skills at 100% at all times as they cram to many projects per PM into one person. They want you to have a good balance of home live and good quality of living for personal healthy but I and others do not get that at OPTUM / UHG. My personal roll was both a "Cross App" and "App PM" roles with 12 - 14 projects running simultaneously. I came on as a contractor, offered a FTE position but turned it down as the FTE pay was to the very and the benefits and paying for parking was not beneficial to becoming an FTE. Getting help was often a difficult task as well. As much as management states "ask for help" if you need it, 98% of the time it was non existent. Ask a million and one questions within the first two weeks of starting here or you will be lost of who is who and what person represents what LOB.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Too much of a work load and too many chiefs in the pot
Unreasonable workloads
Client Services Manager (Current Employee) –  FloridaNovember 4, 2016
United does not see employees as people, more like production machines. The amount of work they require someone to do is not balanced between employees and when the volume increases they do not add employees, just expect those in place to pick up the extra. Many times they find ways to eliminate positions leaving less people with the same or more work. They also lay off MANY people working in the US and outsource to India and other countries. It is all about the bottom line at UHC, not about providing good medical coverage to members.
Pros
Work from home positions
Cons
Insurance benefits are terrible for EEs, no job security, very task-oriented.
Great if you find the right department for you
Spec Ops Benefit QA (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNDecember 13, 2016
If you find the department you fit you in well then it can be a good place to work but the healthcare benefits are terrible, very expensive with high deductibles. I learned a lot about numerous departments in healthcare from medical billing to pharmacy. Management in the department I worked in was very biased towards "favorites" and did not treat all employees equally. My coworkers were great, and most offered up help whenever needed to ensure smooth process flow.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
unequal treatment of employees and poor benefits
Great benefits and compensation; typical call center environment
Benefits Advocate (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, NCJanuary 13, 2017
I love the work that I do in regards to helping members understand their benefits, how claims process, finding providers in their plan and just being able to help the get the care they need. I understand and have learned not to take things personal when members call in frustrated because they are upset with the situation. The hardest part of the job would definitely be telling a member their coverage is denied or not being able to help solve a problem because of being unable to reach a provider or approve an authorization request. Often times, I feel like the man in the middle because there is only so much I can do as an Advocate. The work schedule conflicts with school schedule due to mandatory OT, so finding balance is a little difficult.
Pros
great compensation and benefits, guaranteed 40 hours and no weekends
Cons
communication skills could be bettter, no balance for life schedule, constantly changing SOPs
Great Flexibility
Remote Senior Medical Coder (Current Employee) –  RemoteOctober 25, 2016
Enjoy the autonomy of remote work though, you may miss communicating with peers as you would at a regular 9 - 5. The company is expanding and if you meet expectations you will be along for the ride. Must be dependable and focused in order to be successful as a coder here. The pay does not meet expectations of such a large healthcare organization but there is plenty of OT offered and an annual bonus based on your performance/department goals.
Pros
Working remotely, good benefits (cost), overtime available, tons of postions/opportunity with organization, tuition reimbursement even for part timers
Cons
Pay not so hot, production based for coders, sense of isolation though you are apart of a huge team of people you'll never really get to know
glad to have been able to work from home
Sr. TPA Pre Service Appeals Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Martinsburg, OHDecember 30, 2016
was very happy to work from home, position not the best for me in terms of hours and ability to take accrued time off, did not appreciate benefits. very small department and could not get help I needed to be successful. was not able to take off accrued days if you were not completely caught up on work, but not allowed OT to get caught up and made to feel like you were putting others behind if you needed help. only a group of 10 people and in 6 mths I am the 3rd person to leave that department and I know another is leaving now.
Pros
working from home
Cons
set hours that could not change
Work Compassion Great, Benefits not so much
Benefits Advocate (Current Employee) –  No disclosingOctober 6, 2016
The training was excellent, but the goals for referrels is wrong, it is not the responsibility of the Advocate to sale something. Office environment promotes obesity even though they don't offer Bariatric resource services in the benefits. Benefits are not what should be offered by a corporate company making double digit profits. I do not make enough to pay for my own healthcare, working for them, that is sad. Wage is ok, but nothing to be excited by, especially with the amount you have to put out dollar wise for healthcare. So working there with the Compassion is great, but trying to give the goal level they ask why doing compassion is skewed. They are heading in the correct direction though.
Pros
Compassion used every day, good people, training
Cons
medical benefits, skewed goals expectation
Competitive Hospital system with many opportunities
Medical Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, NY 13790December 22, 2016
This is a great company/ healthcare network to be a part of. They are constantly growing and improving and look for individuals who will help them in doing so. Prior training and experience is almost a must as their training programs can be rushed or change a lot, but plenty of work, good benefits, and many opportunities await!
Pros
great benefits, good pay, holiday parties
Cons
highly competitive, stressful
High stress
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WINovember 17, 2016
Answering calls about callers health care benefits and quoting them the cost of the services asked about. If you quote it wrong, you could cause irreparable harm to that person's health and finances.They don't train you fully either, four weeks in they throw you on the phones.
When you ask for help their response is go read the job aid.
I had a caller that demanded to speak to a supervisor. I was told to transfer the member to another call center because our supervisors didn't want to deal with the members call.
Pros
Pay
Cons
No set schedule, no training, no help
Good place to work no advancement horrible pay
Clinical Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 30, 2016
Currently work for United healthcare. Good place to work with good people but will not advance you if the current position needs you. I m a LPN and took a job to leave the nursing home thinking it was going to be easy to advance after my year was up big mistake. Poor pay for the amount of work that they expected of you with the metric being so high. Good work life balance because I work from home.
Pros
Work From home
Cons
Short lunch no advancement poor compensation
What I bring to the organization
Manager (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 28, 2016
There’s nothing I’m more passionate about than meeting educational needs and engaging learners.

During my period as a Manager of Case Managers, I was afforded the opportunity to interim as a West Clinical Operations Manager, while continuing my duties as East Clinical Operations Manager. I traveled bi-weekly to provide in-market management support by implementing a multidisciplinary team to support a West Coast client; in addition to onboarding new Clinical Operations Management team members. I gained a wealth of knowledge in this position that can be applied to a multitude of organizations.

As a Trainer, my desire and aptitude for training was evident in the satisfaction surveys where I maintained scores of 4-5 on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being exceeded the expectations of learners and customers. In that role, I grew creatively, took initiative and applied resourcefulness in determining appropriate instructional methods.

I’d love to talk with you more about my passion and my background. I look forward to hearing from you!
Pros
Growth opportunities, Stock options, Work at home
Cons
Limited health benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UnitedHealth Group. Our community is ready to answer.