UnitedHealth Group Employee Reviews

Found 3,635 reviews matching the search
Clinical Administration Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXMarch 22, 2016
Overall, United Health Group is a great company to work for. I have learned the overall health insurance business and made a lot of contacts. Management is typical with the pros and cons but overall decent. I am a supervisor so a typical day would be to check my emails and begin to run reports on my staff from the number of pre-service authorizations for the team to process, to attendance to team audits.

The hardest part of my job is managing employees who work from home and are virtual all across the U.S. Most enjoyable is helping our members and providers better understand health insurance.
Pros
Flexible, Work/life balance is a focus
Cons
raises, low pay, health insurance and hard to move within the company.
Extraordinary Organization
Senior Clinical Trainer (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXApril 5, 2016
The onboarding process is clearly defined. The company culture was clear even during the interview process. Management is supportive. The company is forward thinking including use of technology and telecommuting opportunities. Managers are knowledgeable and supportive.
Pros
Compensation package, career opportunities within the company, merit based performance evaluation, telecommuting
Cons
Systems are complex and can be initially overwhelming, the pace of the work can be demanding, but not overly so

Comment – June 3, 2016

Thank you for your comments! I am glad that your onboarding process was a successful one! Great to hear that you are getting the manager support that you need!

Great if you want to stay in the same position for entire career
Client Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 10, 2016
Working for UnitedHealth Care has its advantages (benefits, paid time off, 401k, and Company discounts for certain things). I have been here for four years and its like pulling teeth trying to advance to a new position, its all about who you know and who you're rubbing elbows with. The work/life balance is pitiful you have to go through hoops to leave if you get sick at work or a family emergency that you need to leave early for. I have seriously sat at my desk with a fever and a sinus headache for hours before my sup finally said you can leave for the day (only to come back to work with an occurrence)
Pros
Great Health coverage
Cons
Terrible work/life balance
High Stress and High Risk
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Hooksett, NHMarch 29, 2016
Answering calls about callers health care benefits and quoting them the cost of the services asked about. If you quote it wrong, you could cause irreparable harm to that person's health and finances.They don't train you fully either, four weeks in they throw you on the phones without being fully trained and you can't tell the caller your training. They are a no excuses, no lee way type of company. If you have children or have any health issues that cause you to visit the doctors a bit, they will not excuse you to go to the doctors. Even that counts against you. Even if you tell them ahead of the time; Any time you can't show up, its one ding on your record and they only allow 7 before your fried. Also, with the call center being in NH, if we have get bad snow storm and you can't get there, too bad. They never close for any weather related reasons.
Pros
Set Schedule
Cons
No Days off, No compassion for Employees, Employee health and safety not a concern
Not a fan
Benefit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNApril 4, 2016
I worked here for 5 months. Training did not prepare us as much as it could have and the job was not as rewarding as they make it sound. Training was very contradicting to want actually happens on the floor. You get yelled and screamed at almost every day. Members swear and call you names. I did not feel as though I was helping anyone! You are there strictly to enforce the policies and procedures of the members plan.
Pros
Fun coworkers and management, decent benefits
Cons
Not enough support for figuring out issues, computer systems hardly ever worked
Innovative Company
Sr. Clinical Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNFebruary 24, 2016
The company is great when it comes to work/life balance. With my experience I would say they are the best. They are very involved in the community whether it is the companies own members or helping volunteer in and around the community and I am very proud to have been a part of that. The compensation is great, you have to go in knowing your worth and doing research, as any other company though.
Pros
Bonuses, recognition
Cons
Health insurance covers bare minimum, management positions are filled and emptied quit often (rotating door)
Unpleasant work environment
Financial Consultant (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTMarch 25, 2016
I'm not sure if it is company wide, but the department that I worked in has a horrible work environment. It is made known after an individual starts working there that the annual bonus that is advertised in the recruitment process is competed for within the department which has created an atmosphere where everyone competes to put in more hours than the next, reaching 60+ hours in an average week. Furthermore, I was told that corporate only wants to pay bonuses to 70% of the staff, so even if you do take the bait, you are still very much not guaranteed a bonus after working as hard as the next guy.
Stress is constantly high, and the office is constantly under staffed. I would not suggest working here if you have a family.
Additionally, as a health insurance company, they do not offer good options for health insurance options. All plans offered are those of high deductibles and they do not offer competitors options, leaving poor options for employees.
Pros
pay check, discount on high end bicycles
Cons
benefits, hours, overall compensation
Productive Day
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 16, 2016
Respond to and resolve on the first call, customer service inquires and issues by identifying the topic and type of assistance the caller needs such as benefits, eligibility and claims, financial spending accounts and correspondence.
Help guide and educate customers about the fundamentals and benefits of consumer-driven health care topics to include managing their health and well-being by selecting the best benefit plan options, maximizing the value of their health plan benefits and choosing a quality care provider
Intervene with care providers (doctor’s offices) on behalf of the customer to assist with appointment scheduling or connections with internal specialists for assistance when needed
Assist customers in navigating myuhc.com and other UnitedHealth Group websites and encourage and reassure them to become self-sufficient
Own problem through to resolution on behalf of the customer in real time or through comprehensive and timely follow-up with the member
Pros
great health benefits
Cons
30 min lunches
Awesome Job
Care Advocate (Current Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJanuary 23, 2016
I am a behavioral health Care Advocate for UnitedHealth Group. I work from home and went home full-time after 4-6 months. I take calls from mental health and substance abuse facilities that are requesting authorizations for our members. I am in a phone queue all day and take clinical information from providers. UnitedHealth Group is growing and there is job security. I have referred 10 friends to UnitedHealth Group and the majority of them have stayed over 1 year. The salary for a Care Advocate with UHG is better than any hospitals or facilities. The company is constantly growing and changing for the better; the stock speaks for it's self!
Pros
work from home, normal business hours, holidays off, 15% stock option discount, vested after 2 years of employment, spot awards/bonuses, 23 Days of PTO and 28 days after being w/company for 5 years
Cons
raises could be better for a Fortune 500 Company, Very Busy
Operational Trainer
Operational Trainer (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 27, 2015
I work for Optum as an Operational Trainer. As a trainer, I love my job and I don't mind working over. Trainers typically work between 40-50 hours per week. The great thing is that we are hourly.

The downside is that there is not a balance between my work life and my personal life. Trainers are not allowed to miss too many days, so taking PTO is not always an option unless it is an emergency. Trainers do not receive bonuses.

Currently, there are not any metrics for how the company will pay trainers for having low attrition, great quality scores, etc. Also, the training department, at least at my location, does not receive much recognition for their hard work if any.

I love my training team, and the people that work with. Management could be better. There are a lot of rules to abide by in regards to HIPAA and general housekeeping.

Overall, it's a job. For the most part it pays the bills. My location, is not place to build a career.
Pros
Dental Benefits, Vision Benefits
Cons
Short breaks, Medical Benefits, Compensation
Stressful environment with unrealistic production standards.
Nurse Reviewer (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXMarch 22, 2016
Job expectations constantly changing. Focus of job is production and not quality. Management and staff turnover is high.
Pros
Company will offer a competitive salary to attract and hire applicants..
Cons
Don't expect a raise after you are hired unless you are an exceptional performer.
Standard work in a cubical
Senior Regional Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 24, 2015
The typical day in this position is very simple. I would start off by logging into the network to check emails and see if the previous day's work has been flagged by our quality department. Once I have clear that task, I will enter the Epic computer system to start checking hospital accounts in order to see if there are overpayments. If I am able to find an over payments I will write up a report to correct the overpayment and refund our clients. This is known as credit balance for patient hospital accounts. That is what my day consist of.
Pros
Good benefits and good culture
Cons
Compensation, advancement, and work/life balance
Courageous to adopt cutting edge technology to reduce cost and enjoy technology benefits earlier than competitors.
Sr. IT Systems Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MN 55442March 10, 2016
Fast-paced work life with tight timeline for project deliverables.
Long after-hours for project delivery and post-project delivery support.
Pros
Benefits, ESPP
Cons
project management has decent room for improvement.
Very Limiting
Claims Processor (Current Employee) –  USAJanuary 25, 2016
Okay job so long as you don't expect the opportunity for advancement within the company. Horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE compensation. Every year, we took a survey and every year the compensation would be a big negative but they gloss over it as though they don't care (And they probably don't!) Health benefits were also lousy, with a high deductible. Day to day job functions were okay but competent supervisors were never a guarantee! Good co-workers for the most part.
Pros
Generous PTO, stock options if you could afford to buy in
Cons
Compensation, Health benefits
This is a fantastic place to work.
PA Advocate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 16, 2016
The benefits are good, the pay is excellent, and the management is wonderful. The only gripe I have about it is the fact that you're expected to do so much every day, and they have no sympathy for weather related, or health related absences. You're expected to plan your absences at all times.
Pros
great pay, good benefits, full cafeteria with alright food, employee engagement, bonus opportunities, casual dress if paid for
Cons
no wiggle room on absences, heavy workload
Stable and well balanced work place
Case Manager, telecommuter, RN (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJMarch 7, 2016
I worked for United Healthcare for last over 4 years and enjoyed my team, management, work set up, telecommuter options, reimbursement, work culture.
Pros
salary, stability, team work
Cons
work settings - had to work in essex county where overall area was fairly safe, but history of area can be questionable
Best Company
Provider Phone Rep & Intake Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 6, 2016
I believe this is one of the best companies I have ever worked for. I have an awesome team of co-workers, couches, trainers and Supervisors. I took a huge pay cut to work with this company and it might take me over 5 years to get back to the salary I had, however this company is worth it. I can't wait to grow with the opportunities.
Pros
excellent benefits, u can work all over the world.
Cons
you have to wait a year to transfer.
United health Care
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 7, 2016
call center, inbound, working with UHC 65 and up members with there health insurance benefits. answering question about there doctor claim, help member find a local provider, help member with get there medication when there are pharmacy issues, Review and submit prior authorization. help member with making payments, help members file complaints. explain and help member understand there health benefits
Cons
low pay.
Smoke and Mirrors
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 9, 2016
Working with other staff members on the same level was great, as for management, it needs great improvement. Corporate culture dictates how compassion is so important for the members, but management does not practice the same theory with their employees.
Benefits
Cons
Adherence
Medicaid PPR
Provider Resolution Specialist and Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 4, 2016
Working within this fast-paced call center is challenging. Meeting service levels is very important in this field. Meeting your metrics is even more important. With endless career opportunities I would rate this company as a good place to work.
Pros
Career advancement, good culture
Cons
Short breaks, basic health benefits, corporate atmosphere