UnitedHealth Group Employee Reviews

Found 4,191 reviews matching the search
My Experience at United Healthcare Call Center
Medicare and retirement Advocate (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXFebruary 12, 2017
A typical day at work is a high call volume of medicare retirees who calling for health benefits, plan explanation, billing clarification or claim adjustments. What I learned at United Healthcare is communication is key in all that you do. Communicating with management allowed me to excel as an Advocate and grow as a person. The workplace culture is very casual at United Healthcare. The hardest part of the job are the broad amount of skills you are required to take responsibility, but in the long-run, it is what gives you job security. The most enjoyable part of the job the employee involvement; United Healthcare strives for their employees to model what we preach. There for continuously engage employees in various healthy activities throughout the year that will help them reach their goals.
March 20, 2017

YES! Thank you for your comment! Communication and relationship building are so important. There is a reason why relationships are a core value at UnitedHealth Group. To learn more about mission and values, check this out: http://uhg.hr/1W1GYpW

Imagine Working on an Assembly Line
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 26, 2017
I was actually in management and was astonished at the metrics we were forced to make our employees adhere too. I literally had employees crying if they fell short. Though I have spent an entire career in mgt of heath insurance departments, I have never seen a company that expects such micro management. I attended a class where the class instructor told us that one penny over paid or under paid was inexcusable for staff. Also, there is no job security! They have HUGE layoffs every other year or so. The salaries for managers is fair but compensation for claims processors is totally pathetic. As a manager, I cared about my staff. Keeping up with every second of staff's day is over board. These are adults that you are forced to treat like kids. Unfortunately, UHC's corporate mind set does not foster a work/life balance at all.
When I quit, I felt totally liberated.
Pros
Work from home opportunity
Cons
Ridiculous micro-management
Lots of Opportunity, Poor Management Practices
Director IT Architecture/Consultant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 4, 2017
There is more opportunity for lateral job movement and challenging work than most companies. The management practices are less than desirable regarding career growth, promotional opportunities, and pay for performance. If you come into UHG/Optum, negotiate for a higher salary as adjustments are unjust and it is all about how high your salary is when you enter the organization. HR/HC will pay new hires outside of the organization in lesser positions more than someone with 10+ yrs of experience in a higher position, no adjustments are made. A lot of Sr. Management talk the company culture, but it is still about their bottom line and bonus, I have never seen such greed in Sr Management. Very poor Career Growth once you reach lower level management.
Pros
Telecommuting, lots of great people, challenging opportunities
Cons
Pay, Nil Career Growth, Poor Management
January 10, 2017

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying the pros of telecommuting and the great people that make UnitedHealth Group what it is. There are actually quite a few career path resources available to those at every level of their career. Just check out the internal website.

Work to the max
Executive Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNJanuary 3, 2017
The culture is to work to the max with very minimal interaction with coworkers. This causes a rather robotic and exhausting environment. I worked a position that allowed me to interact with various departments and it's usually the same. Everyone is so busy. I realized 200k+ employees causes for a lot of moving people and people coming and going. If all you want is a check then this is the place. Benefits are typical. You'd think HSA contributions or medical for the employee would be paid for from the largest health insurance company but it isn't. I irecently interviewed at a small business where HSA was doubled and insurance paid for employee. Given the size of the company management hears complaints, addresses them once or twice, then it's never heard of again. I can't stress enough how this place is so robotic. The place for Office Space would be more enjoyable. Not sarcastic.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Team inquiries to management will be brushed aside. Very robotic corporate environment.
March 20, 2017

I am sorry to hear that you are not finding enough variety in your career. I would suggest that you reach out to HR direct and connect with employees in our Career Exploration and Development Group on ONEconnect. You might be able to find a position that is more suited to what you are looking for!

very stressfull environment
Provider Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oldsmar, FLJanuary 27, 2017
I was very excited to be hired for the company because I wanted to work for a large company that had opportunity for advancement. However, the point system and metrics system was much more difficult to meet than I had expected. I was very dissappointed with the healthcare benefits for the employees, I found them to be very expensive with high copays and deductibles. The bonus system was almost impossible to meet. The work environment was very pleasant and there was help available when needed, however I found myself uncomfortable when asking. I guess it just wasn't the job for me..
I found the management to be unorganized and the system had many flaws which were trying to be addressed but I found it to be very confusing.
Pros
convenient location
Cons
healthcare for employees very expensive
This is a wonderful company to work for!
Service Coordinator/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 26, 2017
This company has a great culture that you are immediately apart of the team from day one. Management is involved with you as support every step of the way. Everyone on the team is more than happy to help you learn your new position. The company and management are extremely supportive when it comes to your personal family and needs! I have never worked for a company so supportive of putting your family first!! You accrue a lot of PTO from the first day and some of your hours can carry over to the next year. The company actually wants you to use your PTO! The insurance isn't the best or worst that I have had but all the other benefits are GREAT!! The hardest part of the job for me was leaving the bedside.
Pros
Great culture and people to work with.
Cons
Insurance benefits are not as great as you would think for working for an insurance company.
March 20, 2017

Thank you for your comment and we hope you find your way back to UnitedHealth Group in the future!

Beware!!! Not all it's cracked up to be.
RN, NICU Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Lisle, ILNovember 13, 2016
I worked as an onsite case manager. There was a high turnover, low raises each year, and a very heavy caseload most times. There is no room for advancement. There is a lot of favoritism shown and not much support from management. In the 6 years that I worked for the company I had 3 different managers and 6 (maybe more) medical directors. Benefits are not so great for this to be an insurance company. There is no work life balance and there are so many changes that it is hard to keep up. This company also does not pay out the balance of your PTO that you have earned once you leave the company.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Work life balance, raises, benefits, opportunities for advancement
January 10, 2017

Employees are encouraged to take their career advancement into their own hands. UnitedHealth Group does provide a lot of resources to employees to sort our where they want to go, but ultimately, the employee drives those conversations. Rewards and benefits are comparable to other positions in the industry and work/life flexibility is very important with this company. My manager understands that my schedule needs to flex a little when life throws us curveballs. Learn more about our culture here: http://uhg.hr/pnmisval Sincerely, Erika Cassidy, Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

Work at home
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 4, 2017
I have been on go every since I started. I feel like the training has been rushed and the bottom line is numbers and metrics. The team works several accounts at a time often crossed trained. Not a clear outlined path to clinical growth or promotion. I feel like I am only giving bits and pieces of information at the time from co-workers and management.
Pros
Salary, Working from home, Fair & Balanced Manager from what I can tell so far, Professional
Cons
Taking PTO days, Extended work hours to meet goals, Favortism, Rushed training, somewhat micromanaged
Exceptional Overtime Expectations
Sr. Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSOctober 22, 2016
There is not a work life balance that belongs to United. However their recruiters help to remind you that for some people coming from a retail or hospice environment, UHG pays double. The benefits were great the first year and then the required HSA bundled high deductible plans were being pushed. I felt management was held to a different standard. Their mandatory meetings in mid-day left much to the imagination. So much needs to be examined at sporadic intervals to know what actually is the UHG culture.
Pros
Employee Appreciation Week
Cons
Specifically timed breaks at set times
Great Place to Work
Cross Application IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAFebruary 17, 2017
Busy days working on multiple projects.
Learned to manage multiple projects as a cross application project manager.
Management was very supportive and encouraged growth.
Workplace culture is very positive and promotes empathy for all other co-workers.
Hardest to balance all duties and move projects forward.
People on other teams are positive and willing to help
Pros
Great benefits and cafeteria
Cons
Teams are spread arou d the world. Sometimes it is difficult to schedule meetings!
Very fast paced environment
Health Advocate (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WI 54304October 28, 2016
My typical day would be to answer incoming phone calls from members, and be the advocate for their healthcare. Answer any questions they may have in regards to their policy, providers, renewal information, etc.

Management was very good. They were almost always available to listen.

Co-workers were usually all very nice. The work environment did not allow for unprofessionalism in regards to work ethic. We worked together as a team.

The hardest part of the job, was the number of phone calls taken daily. Not much time to get away if you needed to unwind from a difficult call. Very micromanaged.

The most enjoyable part of my job, was talking with our insured employers, and their employee's. Most people were very easy to talk to.
Pros
Flexible schedules, good pay and benefits. Room for advancement
Cons
Fast paced, could be stressful, depending on postion.
United Health Group Customer Service
Customer Care Agent (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 23, 2017
All in all a great place to work, room for advancement, great work atmosphere and work culture. There is room for management to improve it's staff in professionalism, also due to the size of the building breaks could be a little longer.
Pros
Great pay, benefits, and work culture
Cons
Short Breaks, Somestimes unprofessional management/ upper staff
Not a great place to work. Advocate
Advocate (Current Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FLNovember 19, 2016
I've been working at uhc for 5 years. I started off as a tier 1 member service advocate in August 2011, then moved on to be a tier 2 RSS agent as of November 2013. It was a lateral move, no pay increase and the biggest mistake ever. I take 70-110 calls per day. The trainers who get paid $50,000+ are not training these agents right which causes them to call tier 2 all day long for questions not in our job description. We are here to do billing and enrollment processes but get calls for everything under the sun as well as from every single department: enrollment, billing, compliance, subject matter experts, supervisors, claims, and quality assurance. It's stressful with all day calls. Micromanaging. The benefits are highly expensive and compensation that could be good is realistically not due to the cost of benefits and out of pocket expenses! It's hard to move out of the Rss department and I'm tired of working here.
Pros
Paycheck.
Cons
Micromanagement, no breathing time after stressful calls, constant calls, horrible benefits, no sick days, no work life balance.
Career Driven enviroment
Benefit Advocate (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 14, 2017
UHC has competitive pay
and great training. I really enjoyed working for the company. A typical day at work is basically helping the members understand their policy weather it's claims, benefits, provider out reach, or just some education on the portal. The hardest part may be to maintain all your metrics/surveys if you would like to bonus. The most enjoyable part is when you receive a Kudos or letter of recognition.
Pros
No micro management
Horrible
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLOctober 20, 2016
I was an RN there. Horrible. Unrealistic expectations for productivity. Watch you like jail wardens
Can hardly get a break to go to the bathroom other than your break times. They expect you to get all these RN licenses but give you no time to do it. I had to use PTO days to do it because the board is closed weekends.
Pay is lousy... no raises, way too many audits, hard to get time off, have to work holidays and some weekends. Upper management is always changing requirements but middle management was actually nice. The main source of support there is your fellow co-workers.
Pros
The other nurses are great. Middle management was nice
Cons
Unrealistic productivity expectations, very poor raises if any
Great Place To Work
Rapid Resolution Expert-Empire Plan (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYMarch 20, 2017
Working at United Healthcare was a great experience! There is plenty of room for advancement and new learning opportunities every day. The management is great, the teams are great and there is great care and concern for the employees and customers alike. The most enjoyable part of the job is providing the customer with what they need to resolve whatever issue they may have.
Pros
Great Teamwork and Benefits
Intense 16 week training course
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Chico, CAMarch 15, 2017
After the 3 part nerve racking interview process you must complete a very intense 1 week training course of which you learn so much your head wants to explode. I enjoyed learning all the rules and regulations of insurance, FSA's, HSA's and many other insurance information that has helped me understand my own insurance claims and benefits and I've helped countless friends understand theirs as well. Management was very nice and helpful in teaching us and went out of their way to make sure we understood and became successful customer care professionals. The hardest part was the training process but I enjoyed learning and helping customers.
Pros
Amazing trainging
Cons
The ever changing laws & insurance regulations and having to stay up to date with all of them.
This could really become a career for the right person
Clinical Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXMarch 23, 2017
Overall, the company is a fun place to work. They offer a lot of incentives within your insurance, which promotes you to live a healthy life style. There was recently a Leadership change and I can really tell the culture of my environment went from being hostile to more efficient. Its all about the person you have in place and the new women in leadership is a true diamond. Very nice and approachable. What I don't like about the company is the lack of communication through out the teams. There have been some cases were all someone had to do was ask the question and they refused because of their high horse Nursing degree.
Pros
upper management, team activites, growth, cafe dowstairs
Cons
the pay, and most say the insurance is not that great
fun work environment and encouraging leaders
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYFebruary 16, 2017
working for this company was an amazing and life changing experience. The consumers and also the team of people made working for this company great!
a typical day at work included answering calls from consumers searching for their prescriptions and doctors and finding a plan that covered everything they were looking for. Helping consumers get enrolled in new plans for 2017. I learned a lot about insurance coverage and how plans worked. Management was amazing they pushed us to work harder and encouraged us to do better. The hardest part of the job is trying to help someone get enrolled who doesn't know/ want to make the decision yet. Most enjoyable part of the job is working with a positive group of people
Pros
prizes and fun games to promote sales
Management is very supportive
Customer Advocate (Current Employee) –  Westerville, OHDecember 27, 2016
Love my job there. Management is very supportive. Co-workers are great. Supervision does not micro-management. You are given the opportunity to telecommute if you desire. Advancement is excellent. The only con I have, no overtime and the shifts run from 7am-8pm. Which is practically day shift. I prefer late 2nd shift or 3rd shift plus overtime availability. It is a call center environment. But if you are consistent in making hitting your required metrics, doors will open for you. Also upper management sends out surveys to allow you to grade how they are doing, what they could be doing better, how to help you make UHC a better place to work. In my short time here, they have made changes for the better. Always striving to be better.
Pros
Supportive management, no micro managing, advancement is good.
Cons
no overtime, only day shift

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UnitedHealth Group. Our community is ready to answer.

75%