UnitedHealth Group Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,280 reviews matching the search
Productive fun work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKMay 2, 2016
Great place to work. Family feel. The challenges through the day were exciting to overcome. I like to move around at work and this job allowed that all the while being productive. Customer service was a must and that's an area that I excel in. It didn't matter if it were over the phone or in person.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
seasonal
Productive place to work / flexible schedule
Wellness Recovery Care Advocate (Current Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOMay 1, 2016
Great management, great workplace environment, great co-workers. Provides you with the flexibility to work from home and great benefits like 401K, PTO, and insurance.
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIMay 1, 2016
Thank You UnitedHealth Group for firing me due to my medical absences and misdirecting me for help because if you didn't, I wouldn't of found a place with Whelan Security and lets not forget my new opportunity at Apple Inc. So thank you #UHG for forcing me to get out and find my TRUE calling; if I was still working for you, I don't think my life would of reached the happiness it's at right now.
----------------
Thank you for lowballing my hourly pay... meanwhile temp agencies were paying their workers 12.00 and more an hour, I was making 11.06. Wonderful.
Fun environment but they did push employees hard
Health Agent (Former Employee) –  Sherwood, ARApril 30, 2016
There is room for advancement in the company but they make it clear that attendance is very important. Those that never miss a day will move up very quickly. The mangers are very helpful and will do what it takes to make sure that you succeed in the work place but its really up to the employee how far they will go in the company. The hardest part of the job was learning how to navigate the system, then remembering all the pass words, but once you get that information down; the work place get a little easier.
Pros
Towards the end of the year you can work all the overtime you want
Cons
There are shift bids
Compassion
CUSTOMER CARE ADVOCATE (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXApril 30, 2016
Co-workers are very helpful and demonstrates compassion on all levels on a typical work day.

Management team is approachable and easy to adapt to.

Learning is ongoing. Training classes are in place monthly so that you will know you job and perform it well.

I wouldn't say that there is anything hard about this job. I will say that it isn't on a bus route and you have to have reliable transportation.

The most enjoyable part about this job is you will meet a lot of intelligent people.
Pros
A company that stands of their core values
Cons
short lunches
A good company to work for
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Huntersville, NCApril 29, 2016
United Health Group is a good company to work for. They offer many telecommute positions making it easy to balance work/life priorities. The technology is good. They are well organized and promote a great united culture. Their values: Integrity, Compassion, Relationships, Innovation and Performance are promoted by the senior team members and reflected by the employees.
Pros
flexible schedules, good core values
United HealthCare in ABQ
Provider Resolution Specialist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 28, 2016
my job is answering phones all day to help Hospitals and Doctors offices on information on Health insurance, I learned a lot about how health insurance and how it works. We were in a new market and our information was changing often and it was very frustrating to have information change while being in a position of teaching the Doctors and Hospital staff out to process health insurance claims, The hardest part of the job is having no time to take a breath between calls at times.
I have some nice co-workers . The best part of the job is the feeling I get when I am able to help someone and they are grateful.
Pros
Nice building
Cons
Management does not have a grasp on how to provide new information in streamline fashions, so there are not 15 locations to find answers
Clinical Admin Coordinator
Clinical Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIApril 28, 2016
Responsible for determining medical necessity of procedures based on contractual language and groups desire for services
most enjoyable part
Appeals & Grievances Supervisor/ Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 27, 2016
I really enjoying turning a sad moment to a joyous moment for all of our customers, just being able to interact and engage with people I don't and connecting them on every level getting to personally know the customer is such a thrill for me. I just enjoy people and working under diverse pressure is what I love and I'm able to do that with United Healthcare
Pros
diversity of customers
Cons
salary
Typical call center.
Benefits, Eligibility and Claims Member Advocate (Current Employee) –  Tonawanda, NYApril 26, 2016
Company promotes multiple transfers of incomming calls and long hold times for members resulting in poor customer satisfaction.
Pros
None I have seen.
Cons
Typical call center.
over all i am a very productive worker
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXApril 26, 2016
Any typical day I had only is when the systems are currently down and you have to work manually by writing all information and then re-entering once the systems is back up.

Having good listening skills.

worked well wit co-workers

the hardest part of a job is not doing your job effectively and not being productive.

the most enjoyable part of a job is working efficiently
Production oriented, consistantly evolving environment
Employer Installation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXApril 26, 2016
Our volume of work varies each day by the amount of change and renewal requests the company receives from our customers. The work is then distributed into our individual work ques for the day. The complexity or simplicity of the work is only known once we open the company's information in the Unitedhealth Care system. There are constant systems updates and, constant regulation changes we must be kept aware of to maintain our customers and Unitedhealth Care in compliance.
If you want a fast-paced organization with lots of available resources, this is the company for you. Just get ready to be stressed 24/7!
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  PhilippinesApril 25, 2016
Colleagues are easy to get along with. Helping culture from peers. Good infrastructure that makes work efficient and productive. Clean and modern workspaces.

No clerical support- executives expected to do all clerical work. Spend so much time dressing up reports. Expected to work 13-16 hours a day with no offsets. On call most of the time- expect call from your boss any time of the day.
Pros
Free parking space and affordable cafeteria food.
Cons
Demands of boss burns you out.
Productive, fun place to work
Licensing & Commissions Rep (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIApril 25, 2016
Although the work was very intense, the managers helped make it fun by having cookouts &/or pig out's on the floor when it wasn't nice enough outside to do the cookouts.
Pros
Free lunches, cafeteria onsite
Cons
Temp job so I didn't have any benefits
this company has a lot of incentives to promote attendance and overtime.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXApril 25, 2016
I absolutely did love the company. The hours of operation were pretty decent and if I were to move back to Harlingen area I would apply again.
Pros
incentives and great bonuses.
Cons
hours of operation.
fair place to work
SENIOR ORACLE DBA (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLApril 25, 2016
Large company perks and problems, DBA function broken up into many pieces so must involve many groups to get work done and the communication necessary to perform job is more time consuming than performing the work.
Difficult
Customer Service Telephone Representative (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAApril 23, 2016
United Healthcare is a place that does not pay you for the jobs you do. They will overload your responsibilities without financial compensation. The training does not include all that you will need for the job but you are responsible for knowing it all.
not a fair place to work
Provider Appeals Rep (Former Employee) –  Shelton, CTApril 22, 2016
racist work place. unfair treatment. unorganized. no one knows what they are doing. training is extensive for no reason. support is limited.
The worst job ever.
Technical Support Analyst (contractor) (Former Employee) –  Golden Valley, MNApril 21, 2016
As an analyst at Optum's Technology Support Center you have to adhere strictly to a predefined schedule with out exception and can be fired for not adhering down to the minute. As a contractor they pay you a poverty wage to reset passwords for 8 hours a day. No one speaks to you unless your are in trouble. Before being terminated I met with my supervisor twice. Both times to be reprimanded and threatened with contract termination. Not a single manager inquired about my wellbeing, or anything besides my schedule adherence. Again and like a robot you have to adhere to your schedule which will not allow for emergency bathroom breaks. I witnessed another manager wait for an employee to return from an unscheduled bathroom break only to reprimand him for not following his schedule. If you are a minute passed your break it is considered one half of an occurrence. The equivalent of a half day from work. The constant attrition and your lack of worth to the company is communicated in daily emails. Reminders to you that another person is "deciding to pursue opportunities' outside of Optum" I received an email from a co-worker the day I was fired, hours before I even knew that I was no longer with the company. For a fortune 17 company that has such lofty goals on improving society they do not care about their employees. They don't know my story and will never deem to care a whit about me or anyone they serve. 6 Months was far to long to stay there. Heed my words before accepting a contract with Optum. You will most likely regret it if you don't.
Pros
Co-workers are cool.
Cons
Everything stated above
Work/Life Balance is challenging
IT Audit Manager (Former Employee) –  TelecommuterApril 21, 2016
UHG is a Fortune 14 company that strives to be one of the best. I appreciate job security by keeping departments small, but I also find it difficult to deal with the challenge of taking PTO during the summer. While the company has great benefits, it's not work the effort to use the benefits (i.e. PTO) when you work 60 hours before and 60 hours after taking PTO. The employee stock purchase is a nice added perk and the culture is very positive. Again, the amount of work is unbearable at times so every meeting you can expect to start late because people are constantly booked in meetings all day.

I have had some excellent management who is very flexible. As a telecommuter, I enjoy a lot of perks I would not have in the office. The company is big on volunteering which make it nice to get out once in a while. Again, you pay for it on the back side of enjoying the time off because of the amount of work. Aside from the lack of people to do the work, I am extremely happy with this company. It makes it a very hard company to leave, but in the near future I will be considering a new position outside.
Pros
benefits, volunteering, flexible hours, flexibility for work/life balance
Cons
work/life balance, very tight deadlines, availability of key stakeholders