UnitedHealth Group Employee Reviews

Found 4,177 reviews matching the search
Imagine Working on an Assembly Line
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 26, 2017
I was actually in management and was astonished at the metrics we were forced to make our employees adhere too. I literally had employees crying if they fell short. Though I have spent an entire career in mgt of heath insurance departments, I have never seen a company that expects such micro management. I attended a class where the class instructor told us that one penny over paid or under paid was inexcusable for staff. Also, there is no job security! They have HUGE layoffs every other year or so. The salaries for managers is fair but compensation for claims processors is totally pathetic. As a manager, I cared about my staff. Keeping up with every second of staff's day is over board. These are adults that you are forced to treat like kids. Unfortunately, UHC's corporate mind set does not foster a work/life balance at all.
When I quit, I felt totally liberated.
Pros
Work from home opportunity
Cons
Ridiculous micro-management
My Experience at United Healthcare Call Center
Medicare and retirement Advocate (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXFebruary 12, 2017
A typical day at work is a high call volume of medicare retirees who calling for health benefits, plan explanation, billing clarification or claim adjustments. What I learned at United Healthcare is communication is key in all that you do. Communicating with management allowed me to excel as an Advocate and grow as a person. The workplace culture is very casual at United Healthcare. The hardest part of the job are the broad amount of skills you are required to take responsibility, but in the long-run, it is what gives you job security. The most enjoyable part of the job the employee involvement; United Healthcare strives for their employees to model what we preach. There for continuously engage employees in various healthy activities throughout the year that will help them reach their goals.
March 20, 2017

YES! Thank you for your comment! Communication and relationship building are so important. There is a reason why relationships are a core value at UnitedHealth Group. To learn more about mission and values, check this out: http://uhg.hr/1W1GYpW

very stressfull environment
Provider Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oldsmar, FLJanuary 27, 2017
I was very excited to be hired for the company because I wanted to work for a large company that had opportunity for advancement. However, the point system and metrics system was much more difficult to meet than I had expected. I was very dissappointed with the healthcare benefits for the employees, I found them to be very expensive with high copays and deductibles. The bonus system was almost impossible to meet. The work environment was very pleasant and there was help available when needed, however I found myself uncomfortable when asking. I guess it just wasn't the job for me..
I found the management to be unorganized and the system had many flaws which were trying to be addressed but I found it to be very confusing.
Pros
convenient location
Cons
healthcare for employees very expensive
Lots of Opportunity, Poor Management Practices
Director IT Architecture/Consultant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 4, 2017
There is more opportunity for lateral job movement and challenging work than most companies. The management practices are less than desirable regarding career growth, promotional opportunities, and pay for performance. If you come into UHG/Optum, negotiate for a higher salary as adjustments are unjust and it is all about how high your salary is when you enter the organization. HR/HC will pay new hires outside of the organization in lesser positions more than someone with 10+ yrs of experience in a higher position, no adjustments are made. A lot of Sr. Management talk the company culture, but it is still about their bottom line and bonus, I have never seen such greed in Sr Management. Very poor Career Growth once you reach lower level management.
Pros
Telecommuting, lots of great people, challenging opportunities
Cons
Pay, Nil Career Growth, Poor Management
January 10, 2017

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying the pros of telecommuting and the great people that make UnitedHealth Group what it is. There are actually quite a few career path resources available to those at every level of their career. Just check out the internal website.

This is a wonderful company to work for!
Service Coordinator/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 26, 2017
This company has a great culture that you are immediately apart of the team from day one. Management is involved with you as support every step of the way. Everyone on the team is more than happy to help you learn your new position. The company and management are extremely supportive when it comes to your personal family and needs! I have never worked for a company so supportive of putting your family first!! You accrue a lot of PTO from the first day and some of your hours can carry over to the next year. The company actually wants you to use your PTO! The insurance isn't the best or worst that I have had but all the other benefits are GREAT!! The hardest part of the job for me was leaving the bedside.
Pros
Great culture and people to work with.
Cons
Insurance benefits are not as great as you would think for working for an insurance company.
March 20, 2017

Thank you for your comment and we hope you find your way back to UnitedHealth Group in the future!

Work to the max
Executive Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNJanuary 3, 2017
The culture is to work to the max with very minimal interaction with coworkers. This causes a rather robotic and exhausting environment. I worked a position that allowed me to interact with various departments and it's usually the same. Everyone is so busy. I realized 200k+ employees causes for a lot of moving people and people coming and going. If all you want is a check then this is the place. Benefits are typical. You'd think HSA contributions or medical for the employee would be paid for from the largest health insurance company but it isn't. I irecently interviewed at a small business where HSA was doubled and insurance paid for employee. Given the size of the company management hears complaints, addresses them once or twice, then it's never heard of again. I can't stress enough how this place is so robotic. The place for Office Space would be more enjoyable. Not sarcastic.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Team inquiries to management will be brushed aside. Very robotic corporate environment.
March 20, 2017

I am sorry to hear that you are not finding enough variety in your career. I would suggest that you reach out to HR direct and connect with employees in our Career Exploration and Development Group on ONEconnect. You might be able to find a position that is more suited to what you are looking for!

Intense 16 week training course
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Chico, CAMarch 15, 2017
After the 3 part nerve racking interview process you must complete a very intense 1 week training course of which you learn so much your head wants to explode. I enjoyed learning all the rules and regulations of insurance, FSA's, HSA's and many other insurance information that has helped me understand my own insurance claims and benefits and I've helped countless friends understand theirs as well. Management was very nice and helpful in teaching us and went out of their way to make sure we understood and became successful customer care professionals. The hardest part was the training process but I enjoyed learning and helping customers.
Pros
Amazing trainging
Cons
The ever changing laws & insurance regulations and having to stay up to date with all of them.
Horrible Place to Work
Benefit Advocate (Former Employee) –  Chico, CAJanuary 24, 2017
I would not recommend anyone to work here. They're so desperate for people that they'll hire just about anyone because the turn over rate is ridiculously high. The job is stressful, the overtime is crazy, and the benefits HORRIBLE! I am thousands of dollars in debt now because of their awful benefits, which made it difficult for me to be a good customer service rep because I knew just how bad the insurance was!!!! Management likes to play favorites, and the stats yout have to maintain are impossible. United Healthcare does not care about its customers or employees; that was made abundantly clear with how bad the training was. Calls are literally back-to-back, and if you're not one of the favorites, you're going to get the worst calls all day, every day. Bottom line: the pay is NOT worth the amount of stress this job causes.
Cons
Not a place I'd like to go back to.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  McGregor, TXMarch 6, 2017
Probably the only place I wouldn't want to go back to. Pay is horrible but helping someone felt good. The only reason they got me to stay was for the medical benefits. It's alright if you're single. Horrible if you have dependents, coverage would be too expensive. The trainers are great and I bet the only reason why they are is to get the bonus at the end of training for how many people they can get onto the production floor. Management can be VERY petty...

"Oh you score a 94.7 on your survey so I have to set you aside for coaching and you have to sign this form as a first warning..." - Manager

A passing score is 95/100...
Pros
Medical benefits are pretty cheap
Cons
Atmosphere was not so great, pay is too low, management is petty
Call Center Environment
Customer Service Advocate (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAFebruary 23, 2017
I work from home, the hardest part of this position is the high standard of metrics you must meet in order to maintain employment they change daily. You cannot take off work unless you were approved two weeks in advance or longer without receiving a point. 4 points is an immediate cap. Time off requests are in PTO bids against the rest of your teams and seniority always receives first bids. Shifts do change and have to bid on quarterly. If you have a family this may not be the place of employment for you. The job pays very well even if you only have a HS Diploma and yearly raises are an option based on performance levels.
Pros
Work at Home Option
Cons
Limited time off capability

Want to know more about UnitedHealth Group?

Ask a question
Excellent company with many employment opportunities and ability to work from home.
Smarts Processor (Current Employee) –  Kingston, NYJanuary 20, 2017
United Health Group provides employees with a computer and internet to be able to work from home. Work schedules are flexible. There are many employment opportunities. There are many teams. As part of a smaller team you get individual attention from your supervisor. There are many activities, around holidays and other employee appreciation events to keep the workplace fun and inclusive. The hardest part of working at UHG as telecommuter is any problems you have with your computer, you are responsible for solving. I enjoy the daily interactions with my team, to report work direction, goals and share ideas.
Pros
Work from Home
Cons
lack of raises
Learned a lot about the healthcare industry
Executive Assistant/PQR Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MD 20850March 10, 2017
I worked for MAMSI Healthplans which was bought out by United Healthcare. I worked in the Provider Quality Review Dept for most of my time at this company. I started as an Executive Assistant. I bounced around within the department, but settled in PQR. The work was interesting and I learned a lot about the inner workings of physicians offices, customers and patients alike. The compensation was great and we received yearly increases and stock options. Months after the merger, as companies tend to do, we suffered layoffs. I would still go back if given the opportunity to work there again.
Pros
Stock options, compensation
Cons
Lay offs
Diverse work enviroment
Sr Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXJanuary 9, 2017
• Respond to and resolve on the first call, customer service inquires and issues by identifying the topic and type of assistance the caller needs such as benefits, eligibility and claims, financial spending accounts and correspondence.
• Help guide and educate customers about the fundamentals and benefits of consumer-driven health care topics to include managing their health and well-being by selecting the best benefit plan options, maximizing the value of their health plan benefits and choosing a quality care provider.
• Assist customers in navigating myuhc.com and other UnitedHealth Group websites and encourage and reassure them to become self-sufficient.
• Own problem through to resolution on behalf of the customer in real time or through comprehensive and timely follow-up with the member.
Pros
Location in Sugar Land, Tx
Cons
Bad Management
Receptionist
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 14, 2017
For many visitors or callers to a business, my job as a receptionist provides the first impression that they carry with them into their first meeting. For that reason I seek to maintain the highest levels of professionalism and efficiency on a daily basis. Within the company as well, “my job” as the only employee that all other employees interact with on a regular and daily basis. As a result, the attitude that a receptionist brings to work, whether good or bad, can easily be spread throughout the entire office. That is why I have attempted to use my position of visibility to be a source of cheerfulness and friendliness to raise morale for the entire office.
very high stress level, need better training of new employees
Call Center Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 24, 2017
Never really felt the company cared about me, heard my concerns in trying to help me. They need better trainers/training for new employees because they are spending alot of money and they should honestly be concerned with making sure every employees is successful and employee's needs/concerns are addressed.

My manager never helped me eventhough he claimed to "have my back" eventhough i repeated voiced my concern to him and to his supervisor they need a total change in mgmt and culture.
Pros
top notch benefits like medical benefits, 401k, etc
Cons
new employees need better training/trainers so that new employees can be successful
Beware!!! Not all it's cracked up to be.
RN, NICU Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Lisle, ILNovember 13, 2016
I worked as an onsite case manager. There was a high turnover, low raises each year, and a very heavy caseload most times. There is no room for advancement. There is a lot of favoritism shown and not much support from management. In the 6 years that I worked for the company I had 3 different managers and 6 (maybe more) medical directors. Benefits are not so great for this to be an insurance company. There is no work life balance and there are so many changes that it is hard to keep up. This company also does not pay out the balance of your PTO that you have earned once you leave the company.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Work life balance, raises, benefits, opportunities for advancement
January 10, 2017

Employees are encouraged to take their career advancement into their own hands. UnitedHealth Group does provide a lot of resources to employees to sort our where they want to go, but ultimately, the employee drives those conversations. Rewards and benefits are comparable to other positions in the industry and work/life flexibility is very important with this company. My manager understands that my schedule needs to flex a little when life throws us curveballs. Learn more about our culture here: http://uhg.hr/pnmisval Sincerely, Erika Cassidy, Talent Community Manager, UnitedHealth Group

Lots of Opportunities in both UHC and Optum
Sr. Analyst (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeJanuary 7, 2017
I started working in Optum and loved my job and the people. I learned a lot. Within 1 year I moved to a higher position in UHC. I am not currently working in the realm of my background and experience, but I can not complain because I work from home, make my own hours I want to work, and work with fantastic people. I have also learned a ton in the position I am in now. I love my boss too. I am ready to move up to the next level. Only thing I do not like, is they put a Big Brother software on our computers and after 3 seconds if we are not moving the mouse, it clocks us. This software also tells Mgt what applications we are using, what websites we are going to etc etc. We are also required to log what we are doing through a separate software. I am not pleased with Management for these 2 softwares. I do not think it is fair to do this to an associate. Otherwise I love the company.
Pros
Opportunity, Flexible, Great Benefits, Work at Home, Great People
Cons
Big Brother Software!!!
Dont Do It!!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCMarch 16, 2017
This place has a revolving door with their employees. I came in with a solid 22 and when I left 3 months later, my class had 9. They do not care about the employees or what they need to do their job. You cant have ANYTHING at your desk, it actually reminds you of a jail cell, No paper products, no snacks, you have VERY strict break times with no time to eat or breathe or potty, managers are all on different pages, very unorganized, the bonus that you "can earn" is RARELY earned and very hard to achieve. It's a great place to save a little money up to move on to the next place, but all in all it not worth it. The company as a whole is horrible. They have no intentions of hiring people full time and offer NO benefits until you are. The only reason why they got 2 stars is because I loved the people I worked with and most of the members were pleasant.
Work at home
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 4, 2017
I have been on go every since I started. I feel like the training has been rushed and the bottom line is numbers and metrics. The team works several accounts at a time often crossed trained. Not a clear outlined path to clinical growth or promotion. I feel like I am only giving bits and pieces of information at the time from co-workers and management.
Pros
Salary, Working from home, Fair & Balanced Manager from what I can tell so far, Professional
Cons
Taking PTO days, Extended work hours to meet goals, Favortism, Rushed training, somewhat micromanaged
Leadership out of touch with front line staff work volume
Physician Contract Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 7, 2017
Poor Leadership, poor training, work volume is too large to manage; quality of work suffers. Silo organization. Most of the jobs have been transferred oversees to India, they call these folks offshore partners. Company does not want to fix their broken systems and processes. If you like plugging holes all day in a sinking ship this is the company to work for. If you want to improve the lives of members and customers, this is not the place to work as they do not care about their customers or providers. UnitedHealthcare does not value their employees, we are treated as a necessary evil.
Pros
PTO
Cons
CHEAP Low annual salary increase 1-2% max. Poor leadership, poor training. Silo organization.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UnitedHealth Group. Our community is ready to answer.

75%