UnitedHealth Group Employee Reviews

stressful and inefficient
Care Advocacy and Intervention / Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Hooksett, NHOctober 17, 2017
I have learned an exceptional amount about the health insurance/health care industry.
My typical day is very stressful. I work in a call center taking very confrontational calls about people's dissatisfaction with their health care coverage and the system.
A lot of the times, the processes in place are not efficient or meet people's expectations.
I love my coworkers and my direct management team, but as a whole, the company is lacking in a lot of efficiencies, which leads to frustration and can make an already sensitive call more difficult.
Pros
my coworkers
Cons
stress, inefficient systems
cubicle, "big brother" is always watching what you do
Health Coach (Former Employee) –  Tonawanda, NYOctober 17, 2017
you sit in a cubicle and deal with unhappy people who were given the run around before talking to you. the company doesn't provide enough training to handle most of the situations that members call about. you are encouraged to give members the run around in return. the managers are nice and pretty amendable when time off is needed. the work at home option is nice for when kids are sick. the hardest part is that there are constantly software problems. Get used to calling helpdesk at least once a week. the healthcare benefits are limited and very expensive.
Pros
work at home option, pay was good and bonuses
Cons
healthcare is bare minimum, not well trained, stressful
You are replaceable
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTOctober 17, 2017
United Healthcare does not care about you. You are a faceless cog in an impersonal machine and you will be eliminated with no notice. I invested seven years into this company and they eliminated my position with no notice and despite me receiving fives on all my reviews I was not offered a replacement position. Totally impersonal, totally unfair. Don't work here unless you want to be treated like a number.
Dead End Avenue
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOOctober 16, 2017
A typical day consisted of fielding 180-210 inbound calls from members of the health plan. I learned about health insurance, as it pertains to members and providers.
Pros
Professional environment, on-site fitness center.
Cons
Lack of advancement opportunity.
Nice job when you are in between jobs
Clinical Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 16, 2017
The area we worked in, Alere, was purchased by United Health Group so it had its own issues. The equipment was old, the metrics were impossible to attain and some of the management was not understanding as to how the metric numbers never added up
Pros
Nice job when you are in between jobs.
Cons
Company is out of business
workplace
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Ridgeland, MSOctober 16, 2017
This job is flexible, you get to choose your hours. They have community service available. We spend time honoring each other for a job well done. 401 is available for retirement.
Field Case Manager/ Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEOctober 16, 2017
Suddenly lost contract with state of Delaware unexpectzntly. Contract expires 12/31/2017 . United has some great managers. t times, experience and work ethic would not be a serious consideration in starting pay and promotions.
Great Place to work
Fraud Recovery Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTOctober 16, 2017
This was a great place to work. Close to many events downtown. I didn't like paying for parking but the job was awesome and the people were innovative
wonderful
Benefit advocate (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaOctober 16, 2017
wonderful company to work for. They have work from home opportunities as well as many others. I typically work 40 hours a week, but during peak seasons (open enrollment) hours can go up to 50 hours a week.
Positive work enviroment and focus on work/life balance
NICU Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 16, 2017
This is a great company to work for overall. Senior management are responsive and supportive. Most positions are telecommuting which is very helpful if you prefer to not work in an office.
Great place
Sr. Data Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 16, 2017
good workplace to work. they are great with telecommuters. they are a good company for growth. always developing new programs and services to help the medical community.
UHG is a great company to work with.
Senior Enterprise Resource Planning Analyst (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAOctober 16, 2017
UHG is a great company to work with.
The management and Organization is good.

Good managers and team members, very cooperative and work as a team.
Very good company to work with, with right work life balance,
Great people, good company
Customer Service Advocate (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXOctober 15, 2017
I loved the people, but the job was not for me. Training is adequate, but i feel you need more online time in the training phase. Supervisors need to know how to do the job, not just manage the staff.
Pros
Easy job if you like doing it
Cons
no real support when the going gets tough
Position not what was expected.
Community Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 15, 2017
United health care as a company is a thriving business. I was initially excited to work with the company and try a new experience. My position i was a community health worker, as a telecommuter. I worked from my home office, and in the field making home and facility visits to high risk members. The job requirements seemed to be constantly changing. The position itself was a social services type of job, but it is ran by a business minded administration, causing a rift in the ability to meet numbers and provider quality care to members.
Pros
stable hours, Pto, hour lunch, competitive pay, benefits
Cons
isolation, no OT, hourly pay, frequent big changes.
Great Job
Advocate (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 15, 2017
This company really cares about their employees and live to their values. The work environment is very relaxed and overall a great workplace. The most enjoyable part of working for this company is the staff.
excellent
Full Stack Developer (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIOctober 15, 2017
9 to 5, no work pressure, relaxed environment, very good and easy going manager and lead. No micro management. We will given a chance to speak. Highly recommended.
Horrible to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAOctober 15, 2017
This company is worst company to work for considering you hired by temp agency who tells you false info to get hired and then you find out that was all incorrect.
Great place to work at.
Customer Service Advocate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 14, 2017
The time that I worked at United Health Group, I immediately felt at home. My supervisor was awesome. I learned quite a bit in such a short length of time. This is the reason that I world like to given the chance to return as a full time employee if given the chance.
Pros
incentives
Fast Paced yet enjoyable work
Report Analyst (Telecommute) (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 14, 2017
My job was a telecommute position. Although co-workers lived in various states, we still had good communication. Everyone on the team was helpful to one another and had each others back.
Employees are nice to work with
Scheduling Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 14, 2017
Typical day making outbound calls via an automatic dialer system to members to schedule their in home visits with a physician or a nurse practitioner. Answer inbound calls from members and assist them with their inquiries. Route calls to the appropriate departments as needed. Update members records with accurate information obtained on the call. Resolve any scheduling issues or concerns.
Pros
Ocassional company paid lunches and incentive bonuses
Cons
Long hours and short breaks when volunteering to work overtime.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UnitedHealth Group. Our community is ready to answer.