UnitedHealth Group Employee Reviews

Found 4,177 reviews matching the search
Met some really good people in my training class but felt the training was not done well.
Benefit Advocate (Former Employee) –  Howard, WIMarch 26, 2017
In a typical day at work I would take calls from members with a variety of policies and coverages and it was often confusing as to what the true coverage was. I learned that even though an insurance policy may cover things this year that next year, even though the member may have been told there were no changes, the same things and prescriptions may not continue to be covered. The hardest part of the job was finding the correct answer to give members and the most enjoyable part of the job was when I was able to assist the member with correct information.
Pros
co-workers were helpful
Cons
not enough time for lunch or breaks
Lots of opportunity
Optum, Employee (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 26, 2017
Lots of opportunity within UHG, poor pay if you stay in the company. Management doesn't walk the walk, they talk the talk though.

Preference is typically given to outside candidates who are hired at higher rates and pay levels than internal employees who would be managing/leading new hires.
Pros
Tons of Opportunity
Cons
Pay, lack of promotion
Imagine Working on an Assembly Line
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 26, 2017
I was actually in management and was astonished at the metrics we were forced to make our employees adhere too. I literally had employees crying if they fell short. Though I have spent an entire career in mgt of heath insurance departments, I have never seen a company that expects such micro management. I attended a class where the class instructor told us that one penny over paid or under paid was inexcusable for staff. Also, there is no job security! They have HUGE layoffs every other year or so. The salaries for managers is fair but compensation for claims processors is totally pathetic. As a manager, I cared about my staff. Keeping up with every second of staff's day is over board. These are adults that you are forced to treat like kids. Unfortunately, UHC's corporate mind set does not foster a work/life balance at all.
When I quit, I felt totally liberated.
Pros
Work from home opportunity
Cons
Ridiculous micro-management
Good place to acquire current training and experience used in the Healthcare Industry and beyond !
Documentation Mgt Clerk (Current Employee) –  Blue Ash, OhioMarch 26, 2017
Very learning oriented, and utilizes a great deal of modern technology and current adaptive technologies to get things done. A good experience in a corporate healthcare environment utilizing the processes necessary for today's healthcare economy !
Pros
Organized, great place for a multi-tasker !
Cons
Doesn't have time to wait if you're not prepared for the environment !
Successful and dynamic but no work/life balance
Human Capital Partner Director (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNMarch 25, 2017
UHG is a fortune 6 organization that is very dynamic and successful, unfortunately work/life balance does not exist. Expectations are unreasonable and the culture is not ideal. They have made positive changes to impact culture, however, I still find the culture very stiff.
Pros
Successful, innovative, tools
Cons
Work/life balance and overall culture
Does not embrace the grey.
Provider Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 25, 2017
Forcing philosophical talking points down your throat about how we all need to be accepting and loving and tolerant of others beliefs. Sick hypocrisy!
Pros
Cons
Bad health care at an insurance company!
I didn't care for them
Research (Former Employee) –  Harlingen, TXMarch 25, 2017
I worked for the company for 3 years I was laid off twice, both times before Christmas. I got tired of coming back to them the pay was good, however unless you like constant criticism and an environment that brags about hiring management from within when they hire direct from outside have fun.
Pros
pay
Cons
lay offs, no moving up
Flexible work schedule
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMarch 25, 2017
Flexible work schedule but you find yourself working 50-60 hours per week. However, you will be learning new things because management likes you to be cross-trained on other functional areas.
Fast paced, enthusiastic
Regional Director (Current Employee) –  Elkrigde, MDMarch 24, 2017
I passionate about transforming the health care system and United HealthCare is a place where core values align with making the healthcare system work for everyone. I gained invaluable experience in quality, STARS/HEDIS and RAF with my most recent position.
Pros
Telecommute options available
Cons
availability of resources
not my cup of tea
Provider Resolution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILMarch 23, 2017
this place is not what i would call home. stay away. they like to make you feel like everything is your fault. you get written up for things that you did not do and they say you did.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
This could really become a career for the right person
Clinical Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXMarch 23, 2017
Overall, the company is a fun place to work. They offer a lot of incentives within your insurance, which promotes you to live a healthy life style. There was recently a Leadership change and I can really tell the culture of my environment went from being hostile to more efficient. Its all about the person you have in place and the new women in leadership is a true diamond. Very nice and approachable. What I don't like about the company is the lack of communication through out the teams. There have been some cases were all someone had to do was ask the question and they refused because of their high horse Nursing degree.
Pros
upper management, team activites, growth, cafe dowstairs
Cons
the pay, and most say the insurance is not that great
Insurance Company
Operations Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 23, 2017
Not a bad company to work for but not much offer for advancement. Although I was impressed with the multiple online classes United Health Group offered
great enviorment
Member Services (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMarch 23, 2017
I love this company, management is great. I work 8-5 mon -fri no holidays. I would say the hardest part of the job is change UHC is constantly changing and either you keep up or get left behind. With the constant change comes extra work but no extra pay. If they paid according to the amount of work they ask us to do people would stay longer. but overall a great company
decent place to work some excellent amangers some not so excellent
Release Manager (Current Employee) –  Basking Ridge, NJMarch 23, 2017
Typical day begins logging on from home when I get up to communicate with the offshore teams. I've discovered that the extra effort of communicating in the early morning helps facilitate my many release responsibilities so that there is less of a delay. The management at UHG is changing again so with change comes new directions yet again and new ways of performing necessary tasks. I have to admit that there are useful new bits of information from each of the management teams that I've included in my daily routine. The most enjoyable part of the job is the freedom that some managers empower their teams with which often leads to creativity and productivity.
Pros
new management styles
Cons
Heavy work loads
Review
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIMarch 22, 2017
Please ask me if you have any questions. It would be easier to explain instead of typing everything.

To much to write on here¡!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!¡!!!!!¡!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Customer Service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 22, 2017
I was always interested in becoming a part of UHC
I was employed on contract for 1 year my contract ended and I was shocked but not hurt.
I enjoyed working here good coworkers management was good alot of change
I wished they would have hired me fulltime,
The commute was very close and I love helping the customers But everything happens for a reason.
Pros
company luncheons
Cons
short breaks, too many changes
LPN-Clinical Help desk Coordinator
LPN Clinical help desk coordinator (Former Employee) –  Elkridge, MDMarch 22, 2017
This is pretty much a telephonic job. You take calls, answer customer questions, direct calls to case manager, social worker or dietian. Also, you take calls from nurse practioners and type a report of the patient health. For the most part....I didn't like the job of being yelled at by customers or being disrespected by anybody. And the worst part is that you cannot hang up on any rude or disrespectful customer, so you have to take it all in. The company is great, but the position sucks. You practically have to be glued to your desk all day.
Pros
Great company and benefits
Cons
Being yelled at by customers and being disrespected
pressure
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  St. Joseph, MOMarch 22, 2017
Working here is very overwhelming,but if you canwork under pressure it may be a good fit. I take inbound calls and assist members in answering questions about their health insurance.
Pros
Sweet members, feeling rewarded after helping members
Cons
Upset members, Rude phone calls, Sad storys
Productive workplace
Claims Associate (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaMarch 22, 2017
Productive workplace, pleasant environment, swing shifts, great pay, work at home opportunities, charity work, clean campus, heavy traffic, many food options, great benefits
Pros
Cafeteria
Cons
Travel
convergy's
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  sargent bluff, iaMarch 21, 2017
didn't give proper hours of operation when hired. didn't give proper idea of job details when hired. unwilling to work with you on issues with your hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UnitedHealth Group. Our community is ready to answer.