UnitedHealth Group

2.4K reviews

UnitedHealth Group Employee Reviews

Found 2,125 reviews matching the search
It's a Job
Clinical Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 11, 2014
I work for a segment within the company. This segment was acquired by UHG in 2012, so my review is based on my experience within the segment and may not apply to the company as a whole.

A typical day within my office consists of arriving promptly to set up my work station, and within minutes of settling into my cubicle being informed of the latest scuttlebutt du jour - regardless if I wish to hear it or not. Once the shift has started, I field incessant, repetitive, and mundane phone calls, repeating the same information ad nauseum to people who've heard it 10,000 times before, yet still ask questions and become irate as if our processes are totally foreign to them. You are not allowed to place callers on hold, even if their issue requires brief research to be resolved. There is often NO break in between calls, and breaks are often cancelled depending on which way the wind blows.

High accuracy and productivity is expected at all times despite the fact that the computer systems and software are outdated, not well maintained, and frequently crashes. Our phone systems are shoddy at best, and the phone prompts takes callers to every other department save the one they need. It is sometimes impossible to answer a call because the antiquated telephony software becomes unresponsive, opening you up to a possible "call avoidance" infraction.

I'm not required to use any critical thought, creativity, or free-thinking. Employing these traits will cause management to regard you as if you have three heads with five eyes a piece.

Speaking of management - it is nebulous and unsupportive
  more... at best, and counter-intuitive and inept at worst. No two managers will give you the same answer on any one topic, and changes are often made not because they are necessary for the "big picture", or for efficiency's sake, but just because they can be made. Change is a constant (true with any organization). But the changes within this organization are arbitrarily and cavalierly made without consideration to how they impact workflow efficiency, productivity, service levels, or customer satisfaction. Managers and supervisors blatantly show favoritism at the expense of office morale. Productivity suffers as a result, and management attempts to sugar coat their actions and place the blame on staff versus showing a modicum of integrity and owning their mistakes. All of this has created a team that is anything but unified and a microcosm of misery that would drive any sane person to alcoholism.

My department's fascist approach to personnel management would make Mussolini a proud man. Prepare to have personal liberties stripped as you walk through the door: you are not allowed to have your cell phone (at all, for ANY reason, despite the fact other departments aren't held to this same standard.) Most reading material outside of company provided propaganda is verboten (with the insane amount of calls coming in, it's unlikely you'd have time to read a sentence, let alone a whole book). Need to use the restroom? You're allotted an average of 4 minutes a day for bathroom breaks (I hope you're able to pop a squat, wipe and wash quickly for they DO monitor this.) You're not allowed music at your desk, no matter how tasteful or benign. And no browsing the web (although I wholly understand and somewhat support this, this organization takes it to the extreme.) My personal favorite is the frequent use of scathing, electronic vitriol mass e-mailed to all associates in response to the impropriety of one or two. Apparently, it is a foreign concept to address those individuals versus chiding the entire group. There's a considerable difference between announcing the code of conduct and disparaging and entire group for the actions of a few. We all have copies of the same handbook, code of ethics, and code of conduct. These rules do not apply, however, if you are one of the manager's pets.

If you have an issue within your department, a co-worker, or - heaven forbid - a member of management, don't expect help from Human Resources. They are in place for the company's interest ONLY and couldn't care less about the individual. You are just another number. Never forget that should you be employed here.

Co-workers. Hm. Most of my co-workers are duplicitous and quite immature. There's much gossip in the office, and no small amount of "fraternization" between ranks. Many spend their time trying to police the actions of others versus letting management do their jobs. Someone will always be worried about what YOU are doing and not about doing their jobs. Oh, I should also mention there is absolutely NO ethnic diversity here. I doubt this is by happenstance and is solely by design. I feel that this has also contributed to the nocuous environment that pervades the office. I find it hilarious that there hasn't been an EEOC complaint filed yet.

The most difficult part of my job? Aside from the info above, deplorable benefit packages (high deductibles, high premiums, scant coverage), dealing with the office politics, the often rude, opprobrious providers that call, and the lack of internal support is by far the shining jewels in this category.

The most enjoyable part of the job? Well, it's something to add to the resume. Leaving the office at the end of my shift is quite nice. We accrue PTO quickly. Good luck holding on to it, though.

What I've learned? I've learned that I can do - and deserve - much better, and as such, I have resumed my employment search.
Pros
5 day week with weekends & holidays off. decent pay. shuttle service to marta.
Cons
rampant, unchecked favoritism. no diversity - at all. nebulous, unapproachable, and ineffective management. malignant and toxic work environment and morale is extremely low. inept, unmotivated, co-workers (there are a few exceptions.) deplorable health benefits!
UHG is where you have a job not a future.
Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sunrise, FLNovember 4, 2012
From the start UHG is an employer that focuses on productivity and profitability. Emails come out from various sources drilling that information into each employee's head. The organization also makes a good display of how they have values and they want you to succeed. They are very lax with their IT departments, they still haven't left windows XP (heck, they only got XP in 2005) Everything in their systems seems to be held together with scotch tape and a few safety pins. When a major event happens they aren't prepared to react or they don't want to believe it's happening. When they finally get around to authorizing a new system or upgrade they suddenly want to yesterday and put so much pressure on the development to get it done that the result is a complete mess that they say "look how much we saved" The people who have to use it say "jeez, how am I going to hit my productivity now with this disaster" as well as "this is the list of manual work arounds because the system doesn't do what it was supposed to do" I've seen this with service systems, claim systems, enrollment systems, phone systems, and email. Benefits are sub par considered the organizations focus on "health and well being" Depending on your department you may have excellent work life balance or a disastrous one where if you take a day off you dread returning because no one is able or willing to cover your role because they as well have such a workload. The 401k, health savings, and Stock programs are good until you leave then you have to close them or get fleeced with various charges on the accounts. Moving up  more... in the organization pretty much means you need to live in Minnesota or Wisconsin because they have all the "main offices" in those areas. Other areas may have good sized locations, but read the next area to judge.

That is accurate in part, what they don't tell you is that they don't want you long term. It seems that the organization has a long and robust history of opening offices for a given function, say "claims investigation" they will go and hire hundreds of people for this task and things will go on fine for a few years. Then when they need to improve their profitability they will close the office (normally when the lease on the building is up) and everyone will be given the option to "work from home" from that point on they will systematically work each employee out of the organization. If you are hired in your late 30's or early 40's BEWARE. They will use you for 8 to 12 years and then get rid of you. This has happened again and again. A job would be moved from Florida to Georgia to Houston, California in 8 years. Nothing like being in your early 50's and needing to start over not having had to look for a job in over 10 years. As for management, I had some good, and some bad, the last was a individual who picked key phrases from the last management book he read and put them in an email. Ask him to explain what he means and he can't because he doesn't understand, he just likes to use the "catch phrases" to sound like he's in the know. Many of the other managers are the same. Organizationally the company uses a lot of pomp and circumstance to say how they value diversity, but when push comes to shove they are just trying to look caring, but are not actually caring or fair.

Working for UHG wasn't all bad, but I wasted too much time there trying to make a difference for the people who've lives depended on it. Most of the time I was cleaning up a lot of tragic messes that could have been avoided and I could have made in better impact with a different organization.
Pros
stock program
Cons
unorganized, it severely out of date, focus on $$, unreliable future.
Specialized work with no experience opportunity outside given role
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaMay 27, 2015
As an employee of the "Population Health Management" division my job was extremely specific... take and make the exact same calls pertaining to the same exact conversation, day in and day out. The only variety is whether or not we make the calls (thus giving us some background on the member and control over the call) or take calls (engaging with random members about a program they have preconceived notions about and little appreciation for). There was little variety in the work day and very few of the members are appreciative of the work we do. Due to this lack of variety, no additional experience is garnered that may help to advance your career (like most people working the telephones want) so you can reasonably expect to be stuck in the same role and at best the same division for the length of your tenure there. Since this is a service to employees of other companies, expect to work a large amount of evening and probably even weekends to begin with (I had to work 70% of my hours either after 5:00 PM or on Saturday) which leads to a poor work/life balance and, for many people doing an intense telephonic job like the one I have, depression. Also, near the end of the year (Oct.-Dec.) expect to work OT since that's when incentive deadlines are.

Despite many issues being brought to management's attention, very little is done to help find that balance and in fact on their yearly employee survey last year there were disclaimers that "...these topics may not be reflective of the action and directions of the company." This company is strictly in it for themselves, not you, me, or
  more... the members they serve. You can also expect to throw your self-respect and integrity away while being employed here since managers don't stand for decency, respect, and holding members accountable. If you stand-up for yourself when a member is being rude or disrespectful you can expect to be punished by a slew of potential ways including but not limited to... little to no raise, prevention of advancement for 1 year (happened to a friend of mine), revoking of work-at-home status, and/or termination. Lastly, managers and senior management would prefer to bend-over-backwards for member's to get their incentive than to help their coach's workloads and hold member's accountable. It's no longer uncommon now for "completion requirements" to be changed simply to ensure completion.

If you are lucky, you will be put on a team with a supervisor that doesn't motivate through the use of fear and micromanagement. I am blessed to have the managers I have/had, but many others don't have that opportunity. Managers have been known to screenshot a person's screen, monitor instant messages, or in my case, deny a "kudos" on the account of it "not being professional enough".

THE GOOD PART(S)...
- They provide what has been dubbed as the "golden handcuff". They pay very well initially, but don't expect very much in the way of a raise (1._% this past year which is well below the 3% inflation rate). What this means is that eventually you will be losing money if you make a career in this position.
- The job can be extremely rewarding if you get the right members. However, WFM (Workforce Management) adjust your schedule week-to-week so there's little chance of long-term connection.
- Senior management has stated there is a benefit to having employees WAH (Work At Home) so eventually you will be shuffled home to work.
- Since there is such high turnover, you can expect pretty solid job security. They are constantly looking for/in need of new health coaches.
Pros
Good pay, large enough company for those coming in with previous experience, work at home opportunities
Cons
Little to no variety each day, Unable to acquire new professional experience, Frequent emotionally intense days, Disrespectful and rude members, Micromanagement, Lack of control of day-to-day tasks or schedule, High turnover
Nice workplace with flaws.
CCP, After Hours CCP, Health Advisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 4, 2014
I would say that this place is pretty much an enjoyable job to have as long as you fully understand what it is that you are signing up for. Don't expect 100% consistency especially if they interview you for an upcoming position in a new segment that they are adding to the corporation. I understand that things need working into and circumstances change as things come up but also show us the employees a little more compassion just like they want us to show the members. A typical work day outside of your 8-16 week training is very structured (a PLUS) you have about 5 minutes to start your day and bring up your systems. After that depending on the department that you work for its back to back calls approximately 45-65 per day. Breaks and Lunches are scheduled based on business needs and are scattered throughout the day depending on your choice of 30-minute to an hour lunch. Management will give you the typical I have been there and done that.... I have held the same position as you and in most cases almost always they are being honest. Management will sometimes pick favorites and carry out conversations with individuals about other individuals. In the training department they seem to like to alter the company policies to their liking to suit their own needs. As stated on their Human Resources webpage "Company Policy" you do not overturn company rules unless there is absolute need with explanation. I learned a lot about health care at this company and still learn very much every day. I have never endured a training like they supply to their newbies I have completed three of their  more... training's successfully and I would say that the first two were the best and most informative. Co-Workers are Co-Workers you all know how that is. My favorite phrase is "Come in, do your job, go home." Not that I don't like to build great morale and have culture within the company its just that when you are dealing with someone for more than 8 hours a day it can get to be a lot like your second family. With that being said there are ups and downs with each individual you meet but as UHC like to stay just give them the positive intent and we can all get along. The hardest part about the job is feeling like there is no end and never feeling accomplished. Maybe I never was able to grasp the point that upon completion of a call you should feel satisfied but..... I just don't I would like a job that gives me a task to work on and makes me work my hardest and really put my noggin to work in order to feel like "wow I just solved that issue" to have that satisfaction of completion in your workday is amazing. The most enjoyable part of my job that I experienced here at United Health Group was that I was able to take the time for my members that I had a really great connection with and write them a personalized letter about the conversation that took place on that day. Although it is still scripted and approved by legal its nice to add that personalized touch. :) One more thing I really liked about it was when I worked for the After Hours Crisis Dept. we were all like one big huge family; we did everything for each other all of the time. From birthdays to baby showers, holidays (including st. Patrick day) to mourning. We were all there for each other and I honestly can say that I would go back and work for free for that dept at any time. :) Well I hope this review is helpful.  less
Pros
structure
Cons
pay and inconsistant work
Micromanaged Hoop Jumping Call Center
Senior Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Oldsmar, FLFebruary 24, 2015
No matter how much you go above and beyond on a daily basis, you are not recognized or rewarded. The only recognition you will receive is when you do wrong and you are pulled into a conference room and berated condescendingly by management. Multiple ethics complaints by multiple employees on treatment by management, go ignored. This in turn causes high turnover among employees, either quitting looking for a better job or being fired for random reasons.

The only room for advancement is within the callcenter line of business. Applications for other positions outside of the callcenter conveniently are discarded for multiple employees even though well qualified. They keep you written up for everything from your stats to absences so that you do not receive raises year after year, you do not receive quarterly bonuses and so that you cannot apply internally for other positions. You are given rules to abide by which change on a weekly basis and your manager can change the rules to suit their needs.

When you start with this company you are elated at working for a huge corporation thinking that this is the greatest job ever...and then you start seeing that the company does nothing for their employees except demand more and more from you without giving anything in return. They do a survey each year for their management and company where employees are drilled, harassed and encouraged to lie to give them good marks. If you do not give them good marks, your team does not receive a raise for that year. If you give them good marks, you get a raise and they get to post in media that UHC employees
  more... are the happiest employees ever. When you advise of issues that are wrong and what could be done to make things better, they never make the effort to change the dysfunctional process.

Constant mishandling of accounts, angry customers calling multiple times because no one calls them back and nothing is fixed, delaying healthcare for people that pay large amounts of money to be insured. Constant systems issues going down daily. Constant outsourcing to 3rd world countries to save money which causes additional issues with accounts.

You are not allowed to take time off between November and March, and when you want to schedule time off it is determined by your seniority, skill set and stats with the company. By the time it is your turn to schedule time off all of the good days are taken, no fridays or mondays available, no time near the holidays and no complete weeks to take a vacation available. You are only allowed to call in 4 days a year, anything over this and you are written up. If you are more than 10 minutes late for work it is considered a half a day. As soon as your write up comes off, they write you up for your call handled time. In 2 years, there was only a few months that I was not on write up.

The only good thing that I will miss about this company is they provide $600 a year to help pay for your insurance if you complete health tasks and there is always opportunity for overtime. Otherwise, they do nothing for you at Christmas of Thanksgiving or any other time of the year...no parties, no bonus, nothing except suggest that you do a potluck and bring your own food for everyone else.
Pros
relaxed business casual, cell phone and internet rules--no strict adherence
Cons
shift bids, no time off allowed for 5 months of the year, micromanagement
Run, do not walk away from this listing
PDP CSR (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOFebruary 25, 2013
I worked at UHC for a year exactly. After 2 months I knew that the BS that was fed to us daily during training was just that, BS. They will throw so much at you in regards to their work/life balance and advancement opportunities, tuition reimbursement, etc but at the end of the day it was hog wash.

There is no work/life balance with UHC. I can speak from personal experience at the Maryland Heights, MO location and had a relative that worked at the Rockford, IL location (same experiences) and apparently it is a company wide thing after I've read over the first page of reviews here.

I became so ill from the constant work load that I was bascially forced into leaving when I did simply because I was afraid I'd be admitted to the hospital due to stress and anxiety. I literally began having panic attacks as I was putting on my headset before each shift. In my current position I met someone who began working at the same facility, in the same PDP call center environment and she suffered a heart attack less than a year after being hired due to the stress put on her by the environment.

They force you to sit on the phone and listen to members as they threaten your very existance on this earth and you are told by Leads and other higher ups that if you disconnect a threatening phone call (or any phone call for that matter) you will face immediate termination.

I can deal with a great amount of stress and I was actually given an assistant Lead position as well as numerous other "special projects" to work on because my performance was on par with what they required however it was simply
  more... a matter of my health meaning more to me in the end. The pay starting out is a lot better than most places and if you can hang in after a year you'll get a very nice jump in pay. Their insurance benefits are wonderful as well but again they're not worth it unless you are on heavy doses of Xanax and can deal with guidelines and procedures changing multiple times a day, changes in what systems you're working in (I hear they've already gotten rid of iLead...that didn't take long!) and most often than not systems not even working correctly.

If you do not have children and have no intentions on holding down a 2nd job or furthering your education this may be a good place for you. Just keep the EAP number handy when you need a psych for evaluation and definitely budget so you can take advantage of their Flex Time in summer to have a mental recoup vacation.
Pros
onsite (free) gym, insurance benefits
Cons
no work/life balance, no flexibility in scheduling, micromanagement, no advancement for call center employees
So much possibility
member and provider services rep (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 12, 2015
I worked at United Healthcare for over three years and the company had so much potential for being a great employer - unfortunately, the management on a local level works against the very compassion and innovation they preach. Getting promoted is impossible unless you happen to be friends outside of work with one of the supervisors, and seeing people with the most potential stagnate in the call center was really frustrating.
A typical day at work: showing up early because it's impossible to get set up during the ten minute sign on time they allow you, taking calls from angry members who have been termed from their insurance without notice (though to be fair, there were many calls from awesome people, both members and providers). Half an hour lunch, two fifteen minute breaks, little involvement from management because they all either are working from home or hiding in a huddle room. This tended to be great if we were attempting to avoid contact with the supervisors/coaches, but in the event we needed to interact with them and they were consistently unavailable, it was pretty frustrating. Nothing like sending your supervisor a message on IM and watching them sign off without responding. EPIC FAIL, United Healthcare - get rid of the provider supervisor team.
This job allowed me to get in entry level so that I could pursue a real career with the bigger insurance companies in our area, and for that I'm grateful.
My coworkers for the most part were people like me: intelligent, well educated, usually undervalued and just hoping for a chance to advance out of the call
  more... center as the UHC propaganda promises. I watched the majority of them leave the company, whether they got an offer somewhere better or because management dismissed them (a good friend terminated for hanging up on a member when the phone system crashed for the entire office; another mysteriously dismissed after utilizing FMLA too much - again, the business manager and "coaches" need a clean sweep). I have been lucky enough to keep in touch with most of them and even work with some of them since.
Hardest part of the job? Having a "coach" that reads a script, takes hourly smoke breaks across the street at the bar, and being rewarded for my hard work with directives on meeting completely unrelated metrics. Most enjoyable part? Having a member or provider thank me for being the best rep they'd spoken to, making some great friends in my coworkers and getting my foot in the door to use this as a reference on my resume.
Pros
pay rate
Cons
ineffective management in Pittsburgh office
Financially sound company with great products but a corporate machine
FINANCIAL REPORTING ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Rocky Hill, CTNovember 15, 2014
United is about as well-managed financially as a company can be and haven't had a losing quarter since Moses was in diapers...they hardly seem to own any real estate as the CT sites are all rented office spaces. Also, nobody gets hired without consent from the governance board and so lower level business managers have a hard time hiring key personnel without it being blessed by the Vatican. They have a tight hold over their cash, more than I've seen or heard about any other corporation before.

They have a pretty decent benefits package with an HSA that they contribute towards. Their healthplan offerings are HDHP (high deductible health plans), with lower premiums than richer healthplans cost...an issue only if you are a high utilizer of benefits and want to pay more in premiums for less in out of pocket expenses. United has a stock purchase plan that is bar none, with a look-back provision for buying UHG stock at a discount (15%) at the lower of two prices over a 6 month period.

I don't find there to be a problem with work/life balance as it's pretty laid back from that standpoint. If you do your work, nobody really bothers you and there is a lot of flexibility in terms of working hours. That is truly a bright spot for this company.

The culture is very plastic. People attempt to be humane and seemingly interested in others, but it's not genuine. Obviously that is a generalization and there are great people there but the overall culture is very fake and inhumane.

Lastly, very few managers have solid on-boarding skills or the compassion for assisting with new hires. Getting
  more... systems access, learning systems, learning your job...those are all responsibilities that seem to fall on the new employee. In the military, you don't work independently until you've had adequate training to handle your work responsibilities. So the bright side is that if you survive the first 6-12 months at United, odds are you have learned a lot on your own and proven yourself. The down side is that this kind of experience hardens you and makes you callous...I've seen happy go-lucky people on day one move to being android workers; people who are corporate machines without souls.  less
Pros
flex schedule (work-life balance)
Cons
it's corporate in every sense of the word
Worst company I have ever worked for
Pharmacy clerk (Former Employee) –  Cypress CaJuly 5, 2014
Was a pharmacy tech at OptumRx for 6 years in Cypress, Ca. First few years when it was Prescription Solutions were good, it was a nice environment, I enjoyed the work and felt good about helping patients obtain their medications.There were no inbound calls, we processed prescriptions as they came in to our system, worked with pharmacists, contacted patients and Dr.'s offices...Then it became Optum. Poor inexperienced mgmt. who talked about the employees to others, fudged numbers, Micromanaging, inconsistencies in policies from one mgr. to another, very high hourly production goals that went up every time a few people consistently exceeded because hey if they can do it..which greatly impacted the service you could provide since calls had to be timed and they gave us a script to follow, and if you veered from it or used any filler words ( like saying " I see" or "yes" as patient talked, to show you were actively listening or to add a personal touch.. Most customers are seniors and you might be the only voice they heard that day) well you were dinged. Paramedics at our site weekly treating employees and a number of people on stress leave ( even supervisors) chained to a desk with assigned bathroom breaks so if you had any kind of medical problem you needed a note because no one should have to use restroom more than 3x daily, mandatory overtime at times was 20 hours a week and if you couldn't do it or signed up and had to change the hours you wrote down due to family or illness you were written up. All the OT caused exhaustion and processing errors but they didn't care. Our dept.  more... Demoted those without a tech license who had been doing tech functions for years because according to them they suddenly found out it was illegal. So to cover themselves they reduced those folks to a role that had them saying "can I charge your credit card?" And became an inbound call center. Left a year and a half ago to work with dementia patients, so happy now and I hear it has only gotten worse since I left.  less
Cons
corrupt
great place to work, but cubical life isn't for me.
Associate Enrollment Eligibility Representative (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIJune 10, 2015
Although I enjoy my coworkers, and we all enjoy potlucks together every three months, at work I live in a cubical. For some, this would be the perfect job because they wouldn't want to interact with customers/guests/people. However, I have learned that I have a calling for customer service, and the cubical life and atmosphere just isn't my cup of tea.

Although the compensations, $11.50/hour plus affordable health care, with HSA options, 401K, and earned paid time off, the sitting and staring at a computer all day is the hardest part of my job.

I love the way that my job makes me think while I process, and I have learned multiple aspects of my job, which gives me job security. Often times there will be catering in our lunch/break room.

At UHC, there is this concept of "Our United Culture," and no matter how much it is preached, and how much we are reminded to work by the culture, not many actually follow it. When I was first interviewing for the position, an employee gave me false information about our benefits, and options available to us as employees (ex: 1 month paid time off right away; $12.00/hour starting, ability to use exercise balls as chairs paid by the company for our use, etc). I'm sure there are some truths to these; 1 month paid time off is something that over the years we are able to obtain, we can purchase on our own "exercise ball" that is actually made to sit on the office chair and give all the benefits of an exercise ball. Yet these little details were skewed to make working at the company more glamorous than it truly is, and how they were presented
  more... were completely inaccurate. (Integrity is supposed to be the first main value of "Our United Culture")

The application process was a pain, and once hired information about paid time off (PTO), flex time, etc were not given to us, and I had to learn by experience. This is something that I would have appreciated, however learning from experience and asking questions isn't too bad.

I enjoy being able to flex my hours, and the ability to make up lost hours. I value the flexibility that this company offers. There are also opportunities to work from home, depending on the department you are working in. Biweekly one-on-one meetings with the supervisor are also available, and are very beneficial to see where I am sitting work wise-- what I'm doing well in and what I could work on.
Pros
affordable health care
Cons
sitting on the computer in a cubical all day
PLEASE READ BEFORE APPLY/CONSIDERING THE POSITION!!
Phone Provider Representative (Former Employee) –  Earth City, MOSeptember 1, 2012
I remember being thrilled about working for this company when I was hired. I quickly learned that you are a number and your importance is based on your stats. Most people who reached their stats reached them because they did not fully help the provider to the best of their benefit because they are trying to reach their Average Handle Time (AHT). No matter how many amount of claims the provider may have (and believe me, they can have several) you have an average of 5 minutes to handle that call, which that's the amount of time on average you may spend with one claim.

It's all about who likes who with this company, and if you had that type of supervisor who operates this way, your time there can be heck. I have seen management use derogatory language toward a worker, use her relative to get "scoop" on others to see if she could use it towards her advantage, and other unfair practices.

Don't bank on going up the ladder with them if you start out on the phones because they can't afford to take anyone off the phones because they have such a high turnover rate! They find any excuse not to give you a bonus by the end of the quarter. Also they find any reason to not give you hours that you would prefer..no matter what reason (go back to school, family, etc). The point system is ridiculous!! You know its bad when someone has a seizure at work and they gave them an point because they had to be rushed to the hospital!

As far as benefits, if you think you are going to get such a great deal on medical insurance considering they are the insurance company...THINK AGAIN! I am single with
  more... no kids and I got the best insurance..80% eligible expenses with a $1500 deductible/$3200 out of pocket expenses (they won't tell you that until you start).

I could go on and on about what takes place with United Health Group (Maryland Heights, MO) but I hope that whoever is considering taking a position there reads this and take heed. It is one thing to have a demanding job, it is another when a company is showing you that you are not of importance. If you are ok with working under these conditions, go for it and good luck.
Pros
yearly raise, extensive training
Cons
lack of consideration for their workers, favoritism, treated poorly
Disorganized!
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Suburbs of IllinoisJanuary 23, 2014
One year at Optum (UnitedHealth Group) and truly disappointed. I expected big things from this big companyTraining was horrible...trainer was unprofessional and lacked knowledge. Goofing around was highly regarded, yet asking job related questions was considered a distraction. Half of the team trained quit within 3 months.. The top level vp/directors pride themselves on a job well done, but are clueless what happens at the front ends. The only communications we ever get are by email and we never get time to watch the video presentations so we dont know what is going on (because we have to work). It is a highly impersonal atmosphere because all communications are by instant messaging or emails. After a year, I still only know the 2-3 ppl sitting in the cubes next to me. The rest, havent a clue who they are or what their names are because there are no opportunities for true interactions.Service is poor because we have a phone tree system from hell.. Membres and providers get looped and trnsferrd to endless departments...why? Because we are told if it is a member we dont handle, just transfer them...yet we dont have the right trnsfer numbers to connect them too...cold transfers are required...we are not allowed to warm transfer members to help them get to the right place.Nobody in the company cares about the members. The clients are the companies....if the calls are short, it shows we answer fast. Truly a PASS THE BUCK atmosphere. It goes against my grain as a customer service person, not to be able to fix the service issues. NEVER any positive feedback. Interest in learning more  more... is flattened.....by comments like YOU DONT NEED TO KNOW THAT. Smll minor infractions that dont impact the customer experience are counted against us in our metrics. But the big impact issues...phone tree transfer hell...well that never gets fixed. So far, no reviews. There are all sorts of wonderful website tools....for career development and internal job postings...but you can only access that from work. There is no personal time at work to develop your career and apply for new positions with the company. Sooo counter intuitive and productive......all talk...no practical applications. Terrible!  less
Cons
all
National Insurance Conglomerate
Family Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 7, 2014
The actual job is not difficult at all, and to some extent is a bit boring - basically conducting a comprehensive H&P (to the extent possible within a person's home). There is a huge amount of documentation required and limited space for narrative writing. There is also a great deal of redundancy, and it seems like they would be better served to follow the general physician's H&P format, adding extra information to the sections where needed.

In terms of time for the assessment, you are given an hour (but told it should take you 45 minutes when experienced) to complete the assessment. In my experience, it took me an hour (more when I started or with patients with extensive medical issues), and only occasionally 45 minutes with patients who weren't very talkative and didn't have many medical problems.

Non-paid hours are always more than it seems with jobs like these, and I think more so with this one. The complexity of getting into the system's intranet due to the security is an issue. You are required to call each patient (member) two days and then one day before their visit for reminder calls. The documentation ranges from 19-25 pages per assessment. I use my own H&P format (adapted to include the specific questions they require, but considerably shorter than theirs!) and then transcribe it when I get home. While this may seem to take longer, the massive redundancy in their form, as well as mind-blowing length when patients see it is worth the time it takes me to transcribe it. The assessments must be faxed to the office the day of the assessment. You are required to check
  more... your email in the morning and evening, and if you have any corrections to your assessment(s), you are supposed to correct them and return the corrections within 24 hours.

Training was very disorganized, which is to be somewhat expected since it is remote. However, I still don't feel the hierarchy, internal communication structure, and chain of command are clear, and when it has changed, that information has not been passed down.
Pros
good pay, not hard, get to meet people, not stuck in an office
Cons
more work than it seems, not as flexible as it seems, disorganized
Great company to work for. Just sorry they closed our office.
case management (Former Employee) –  Hillside, ILNovember 6, 2015
Second time working for UHG. First time was great. Lots of benefits, education, references and support. Pay was good too.
Second time I worked for a small company that was purchased by UHG. The corporate culture of United never had time to fully take hold, so I can't really blame them for that experience. Unfortunately, they wanted to renegotiate an already existing contract with better terms with Humana, and no surprise, Humana said no. Office was losing money, but the senior management in place before they purchased us was at fault for that. (See NAMM of IL)
United was transparent in telling us months in advance, offered help with resumes, job searches, etc. Not only that, they also accommodated (within reason) arranging time for interviews. That was a very weird experience because normally you'd be hush-hush about looking for another job, right? It was strange but in a good way. The surprising thing was that as the days grow closer to leaving, it actually improved our camaraderie as we are all in the same boat!
Other companies might have kept it secret until 2 weeks before, so we were grateful for that. We all lost our jobs with the closure, but other than saying that they could have taken the UHG CEO 's $63 million dollar (plus perks/bonuses) salary and kept us employed at least through the end of the year, rather than have everyone laid off right around the holidays - not really much you can do about that.
Nevertheless, I'd work for them again in a heartbeat, and wish they'd had local jobs to absorb us.
The only reason they don't get 5/5 stars is I had to downgrade
  more... them on job security. Obviously!  less
Pros
Benefits, salary, culture, everything at your fingertips. just a great company
Cons
This was the second time working for UHG, and many issues that were already extant from NAMM, the company they purchased, and not caused by UHG, really nothing negative to say except I wanted to retire with them, and now have to find another job at the end of the year, which is also the end of many employers' job budgets
Great from the Outside
Health Advisor (Current Employee) –  Green BayMay 31, 2014
I love what I was doing in helping customers understand their health investment and how to maximize that investment. My main co-workers are all awesome people, and I can honestly say there was no major drama concerns. However, the system is set up alot like other call centers: capitations of days off (including if it's an emergency situation - no discretion), change in schedule for HA's every 3 months, and you have to take your days off at the beginning of the year for the whole year. Also, I found that there were a lot of loopholes to getting occurrences: if workforce forgets to schedule you mandatory overtime and you don't say anything, if you are a closer and your schedule says off the phone at 8 and you don't stay on until 8:05 it's grounds for termination for stealing.... all of which no one ever explains to you. And that's the main source of wanting to leave the company. Any time you have a question you'd usually start with your peers, and then go to your supervisor. Every time I had to ask someone above my peers, it was "oh go look over here; or check with so and so" ; and even checking with whoever "so and so" was, I never could get direct answers. This included if I had an error and asked how I could go about fixing it, my supervisor always said he'd send me a link to the call and I could review it and ask him questions then. And then he never sent it. Also, if you want to go higher up in the company it's all about who's favoritism you fall into. I work right next to an amazing person who wants to be in sales. She's been awarded quite often on innovation and development  more... AND has been a service hero. Yet she is still working as an HA and has not been allowed to move up. Just be aware of the job that you are getting into before agreeing to the position. I know quite a few people that have been there between 1-6 years that are leaving or are planning to.  less
RUN away. Don't work here.
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 2, 2012
I worked for a division of UHC that had been an independent company before being acquired by UHC earlier in the year. (Care Improvement Plus)

The compensation was top dollar. The benefits, most especially the health insurance, were subpar , considering that we were working for the insurance company.

There is massive disorganization, probably resulting in part from the fairly recent acquisition, but UHC is so big that it is a prime example of "the right hand not knowing what the left was doing". My division was very disorganized and there was an almost inhumane lack of caring or personal contact.

My husband died unexpectedly a month into my employ and I never received the first phone call, card or even email from anyone in management or in my division. I thought that very odd. I just needed someone to be human at a terrible time in my life and they weren't. They gave me 3 days...we couldn't even have the funeral in that time, so I had to take PTO beyond that. I was pressured to come back to work far before I was ready, both emotionally and with the mountain of tasks that I had to do.

They are all about numbers and meeting goals, but care not one iota for employees, at least that's the feeling I got. My job took me into dangerous neighborhoods, and I was accosted/had my safety threatened more than once. When I called to report the first instance I was told "this job isn't for everyone". No joke. We weren't even allowed to carry pepper spray for protection.

It's also company policy not to pay for unused PTO unless your state mandates it (mine didn't).

I'm also bothered that
  more... they aren't as truly focused on members as they claim to be. They like numbers and meeting goals, but from what I have seen I am not impressed with them actually caring about any of the people that have been sold their plans.  less
Pros
pay was ok
Cons
disorganized, management doesn't care about employees

Comment – November 13, 2012

I'm sorry to hear that. My grandmother passed away and i was given 3 days for bereavement. I didn't receive a call or card nothing. I was put on a correction action plan for attendance because I took a extra 2 days off. I left my position on 10/1/12, and I feel that was the best decision I made because the job was making me sick. All they care about is numbers, and not the employees.

Good benefits and pay, unchallenging and production based job duties, outdated computer systems, insufficient training
Recovery/Resolution Representative (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNApril 20, 2013
My day consists of making phone calls to members and other insurance companies, reviewing claims for other insurance indicated, and entering information into various systems. The eligibility system is a DOS program that is ancient and not user friendly. There are high productivity goals that are extremely hard to attain. My co-workers are helpful and friendly, as well as my direct manager. I do not feel challenged by this job, it is very repetitive and uninteresting. I have never worked in a production based role and do not enjoy an atmosphere of feeling pressured to meet very high goals to make me eligible for raises, movement within the company, and to retain my position. I prefer a job that I am not so micro-managed. The company uses a VCC program for their phone system that tracks every second of the work day. It does not track properly, has a delay when logging in/out, and tends to crash the entire system frequently. My co-workers that have call center experience in their past claim to love this position as it is not as call oriented as a true "call center". I do not have call center experience and never intend to work in that setting, and this is not a job that I feel is fitting for me. I work well with humans managing me, not a telephone system. Also, my work ethic has always been based on quality more so than quantity. This position makes me feel as though I must obtain a speed that meets numbers more so than accuracy, which both of these factors must remain at a very high percentage to be retained in the position. During the hiring process, all employees were told there  more... would be six weeks of training, however, the training class was only half of this time, three weeks. Our direct manager wasn't able to provide an explanation as to why the training was not as long as we were all told. Employees are given a 90-day ramp up period before being expected to meet all goal minimum percentages.  less
Pros
good benefits, casual dress code, good location, good pay
Cons
outdated computer systems, high productivity goals, insufficient training, managed by a phone system

Comment – April 29, 2013

I am being considered for this job. When you say good pay what is the starting salary for this postion? Also what are the production standards? How is the company overall? Benefits, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Excellent Managed Care Organization, benefits are stellar and work environment has been a source of learning and challenged me as a professional
Sr. Social Worker- High Risk Pediatrics/OB (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 25, 2015
A typical work day consists of case managing high risk obstetric and pediatric cases in conjunction with a multidisciplinary team. Utilization review, management as a major focus coupled with patient centered care to include: assessment of the patient/family, determining biopscyhosocial barriers, implementing resources in an effort to remove those barriers.
United Healthcare, Inc. is a vast system on both a national and international scope. However, my direct supervisor as well as the senior management and medical directors that I interact with regularly provide a supportive, personalized approach that offsets being "a number" versus a valued asset to the company.
I thoroughly enjoy those that I work with. I feel it is imperative to have a professional, yet personable relationship with those I work with and value their professional input while at the same time feel the majority of those I work with I am able to call friends.
The most difficult part of my job currently is being faced with a patient who has social needs, however, resources are not available within the community or their benefit summary to meet their needs. In those instances which are frequent, it is imperative that I utilize my critical thinking skills, however, there are times despite this that a client's needs are not fully recognized.
The most enjoyable part of my job affecting positive change in the lives of the people I serve. In doing that, learning about the patient's I assess and follow-the lives they have led, changes they have made, and the strengths they have developed or develop as I follow them
  more... are very rewarding. Moreover, healthcare is constantly changing and provides ongoing opportunities to learn and grow as a professional whether that be from your peers, administrative support, or medical experts.  less
Pros
Excellent benefits, longevity, pleasant work environment
Cons
Very large MCO, difficult to have knowledge of all facets and how they affect one another
All that glitters ain't gold.....
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  KansasMarch 22, 2015
Unless you want to work in an unstable environment with a culture of clique-ish behaviors do not apply here. I worked in the call center dealing with medicaid members and was terminated for an unjust reason. This all started when I was put on a final warning for being exasperated with a customer that would not allow me to offer solutions, the second I got ready to speak she would continually talk over me and would interchange issues before I can assist her on the first issue she was having as it related to her benefits. There was no offer of coaching, no verbal warning, no first or second warning. They do not want customer service reps, they want robots that will allow the customers to cuss, swear, rant and rave, without any opportunity to check the situation and get to the core of the matter with customers. Not an ideal way to earn a living. I was assisting a belligerent member who wanted information on two pharmaceuticals and because I informed the customer that they were not covered on the plan, she began to be shout obscenities at me and I told her there was no need for that behavior and she then proceeded to want to speak to my manager. Needless to say, I obliged the customer while still conducting myself in a very professional manager and the recording of the inbound call will depict that but my immediate supervisor still decided to terminate me without any coaching, warnings or other means of corrective action. Red flag, right? It.was the story of my life working here. The saddest commentary of all is that I have been receiving consistent praise from customers as well  more... as the corporate division who have on more than one occasion came by my cubicle to tell me how great of a job I have been doing.  less
Pros
great benefits, weekends off, decent rate of pay
Cons
clique-ish work culture, high turnover rate, no standard form for corrective action (fire at will)
Flexible workplace majorly micromanaged
Resolving Analyst (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXAugust 4, 2014
Working for UHC was a rewarding experience, but did not live up to the ideals and values the company sold me on during my interview. The ideals are strong, and the team I worked with directly and immediate superviosors were all great! However "upper management" was in a time of transition and as such there was a lack of accountability, often no one would claim responsibility for things that directly impacted me which was out of the control of my immediate supervisors. That was the hardest thing to deal with. There was also the issue of "omega tracking" which essentially means every second of your time must be accounted for through a time tracking system. For every project you work on there's an allotted amount of time you should stay under (not always realistic time goals) and it's absurdly micromanaged.

The most rewarding part of my job was the relationships I built with my coworkers and the team around me. I worked with some great people. In my specific case I was able to have a lot of flexibility with my schedule (still 40 hours a week, but sometimes if I had an appointment I was able to flex time- sometimes working 8hr days sometimes 10hrs one day, 6 the next, etc.) Another pro would be the relaxed dress code- during training it was business casual, but in the office it was generally appropriate to wear jeans with a nice shirt or sweater. Most of my interaction with my team was in a virtual environment, meaning most worked in another state and we stayed connected via morning team meetings on conference call and screensharing, with office communicator chats, or phone calls.
  more... Rarely did I interact face to face with my team (both a pro and a con)

Overall, I appreciate the skills and experience I gained at UHC, but I did feel like as a company they do not live up to their advertised core values.
Pros
flexible scheduling opportunities
Cons
micromanaged time tracking systems