UnitedHealth Group Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,333 reviews matching the search
Clinical Administration Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXMarch 22, 2016
Overall, United Health Group is a great company to work for. I have learned the overall health insurance business and made a lot of contacts. Management is typical with the pros and cons but overall decent. I am a supervisor so a typical day would be to check my emails and begin to run reports on my staff from the number of pre-service authorizations for the team to process, to attendance to team audits.

The hardest part of my job is managing employees who work from home and are virtual all across the U.S. Most enjoyable is helping our members and providers better understand health insurance.
Pros
Flexible, Work/life balance is a focus
Cons
raises, low pay, health insurance and hard to move within the company.
Extraordinary Organization
Senior Clinical Trainer (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXApril 5, 2016
The onboarding process is clearly defined. The company culture was clear even during the interview process. Management is supportive. The company is forward thinking including use of technology and telecommuting opportunities. Managers are knowledgeable and supportive.
Pros
Compensation package, career opportunities within the company, merit based performance evaluation, telecommuting
Cons
Systems are complex and can be initially overwhelming, the pace of the work can be demanding, but not overly so
Operational Trainer
Operational Trainer (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 27, 2015
I work for Optum as an Operational Trainer. As a trainer, I love my job and I don't mind working over. Trainers typically work between 40-50 hours per week. The great thing is that we are hourly.

The downside is that there is not a balance between my work life and my personal life. Trainers are not allowed to miss too many days, so taking PTO is not always an option unless it is an emergency. Trainers do not receive bonuses.

Currently, there are not any metrics for how the company will pay trainers for having low attrition, great quality scores, etc. Also, the training department, at least at my location, does not receive much recognition for their hard work if any.

I love my training team, and the people that work with. Management could be better. There are a lot of rules to abide by in regards to HIPAA and general housekeeping.

Overall, it's a job. For the most part it pays the bills. My location, is not place to build a career.
Pros
Dental Benefits, Vision Benefits
Cons
Short breaks, Medical Benefits, Compensation
Standard work in a cubical
Senior Regional Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 24, 2015
The typical day in this position is very simple. I would start off by logging into the network to check emails and see if the previous day's work has been flagged by our quality department. Once I have clear that task, I will enter the Epic computer system to start checking hospital accounts in order to see if there are overpayments. If I am able to find an over payments I will write up a report to correct the overpayment and refund our clients. This is known as credit balance for patient hospital accounts. That is what my day consist of.
Pros
Good benefits and good culture
Cons
Compensation, advancement, and work/life balance
Innovative Company
Sr. Clinical Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNFebruary 24, 2016
The company is great when it comes to work/life balance. With my experience I would say they are the best. They are very involved in the community whether it is the companies own members or helping volunteer in and around the community and I am very proud to have been a part of that. The compensation is great, you have to go in knowing your worth and doing research, as any other company though.
Pros
Bonuses, recognition
Cons
Health insurance covers bare minimum, management positions are filled and emptied quit often (rotating door)
Stressful environment with unrealistic production standards.
Nurse Reviewer (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXMarch 22, 2016
Job expectations constantly changing. Focus of job is production and not quality. Management and staff turnover is high.
Pros
Company will offer a competitive salary to attract and hire applicants..
Cons
Don't expect a raise after you are hired unless you are an exceptional performer.
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cypress, CANovember 19, 2015
Overall, UnitedHealth Group is great place to work, however, this is heavily dependent on the team that you are on and which department. Like every work place, there are pros and cons . I am fortunate enough to be on a team who is very understanding about life outside of work--therefore schedules are fairly flexible. Management is good, but has been known to entrust the wrong individuals for decision making that has been costly in the past. This can be frustrating at times, but the good outweighs the bad. The cons are the compensation package--while it is advertised as "competitive", I beg to differ. Benefits are not competitive and a little on the expensive side in comparison to other places.
Pros
Schedules
Cons
Benefits package
Great if you want to stay in the same position for entire career
Client Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 10, 2016
Working for UnitedHealth Care has its advantages (benefits, paid time off, 401k, and Company discounts for certain things). I have been here for four years and its like pulling teeth trying to advance to a new position, its all about who you know and who you're rubbing elbows with. The work/life balance is pitiful you have to go through hoops to leave if you get sick at work or a family emergency that you need to leave early for. I have seriously sat at my desk with a fever and a sinus headache for hours before my sup finally said you can leave for the day (only to come back to work with an occurrence)
Pros
Great Health coverage
Cons
Terrible work/life balance
Productive many creative ways to encourage employees to perform their best
Telesales Agent Representative (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake CityDecember 10, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management, Constant change of policies. Plenty of red tape and politics. The people that you worked with every day became family away from home. Every I day I had an opportunity to assists consumers to help improve their healthcare situation with the Medicare Plans we had available to offer.
Pros
Great Friends, Competitive environment, Creative way to bring out what you can offer to consumers
Cons
Insurance benefits are not affordable for families
Awesome Job
Care Advocate (Current Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJanuary 23, 2016
I am a behavioral health Care Advocate for UnitedHealth Group. I work from home and went home full-time after 4-6 months. I take calls from mental health and substance abuse facilities that are requesting authorizations for our members. I am in a phone queue all day and take clinical information from providers. UnitedHealth Group is growing and there is job security. I have referred 10 friends to UnitedHealth Group and the majority of them have stayed over 1 year. The salary for a Care Advocate with UHG is better than any hospitals or facilities. The company is constantly growing and changing for the better; the stock speaks for it's self!
Pros
work from home, normal business hours, holidays off, 15% stock option discount, vested after 2 years of employment, spot awards/bonuses, 23 Days of PTO and 28 days after being w/company for 5 years
Cons
raises could be better for a Fortune 500 Company, Very Busy
Courageous to adopt cutting edge technology to reduce cost and enjoy technology benefits earlier than competitors.
Sr. IT Systems Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MN 55442March 10, 2016
Fast-paced work life with tight timeline for project deliverables.
Long after-hours for project delivery and post-project delivery support.
Pros
Benefits, ESPP
Cons
project management has decent room for improvement.
Medicaid PPR
Provider Resolution Specialist and Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 4, 2016
Working within this fast-paced call center is challenging. Meeting service levels is very important in this field. Meeting your metrics is even more important. With endless career opportunities I would rate this company as a good place to work.
Pros
Career advancement, good culture
Cons
Short breaks, basic health benefits, corporate atmosphere
Stable and well balanced work place
Case Manager, telecommuter, RN (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJMarch 7, 2016
I worked for United Healthcare for last over 4 years and enjoyed my team, management, work set up, telecommuter options, reimbursement, work culture.
Pros
salary, stability, team work
Cons
work settings - had to work in essex county where overall area was fairly safe, but history of area can be questionable
Not a fan
Benefit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNApril 4, 2016
I worked here for 5 months. Training did not prepare us as much as it could have and the job was not as rewarding as they make it sound. Training was very contradicting to want actually happens on the floor. You get yelled and screamed at almost every day. Members swear and call you names. I did not feel as though I was helping anyone! You are there strictly to enforce the policies and procedures of the members plan.
Pros
Fun coworkers and management, decent benefits
Cons
Not enough support for figuring out issues, computer systems hardly ever worked
Smoke and Mirrors
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 9, 2016
Working with other staff members on the same level was great, as for management, it needs great improvement. Corporate culture dictates how compassion is so important for the members, but management does not practice the same theory with their employees.
Benefits
Cons
Adherence
Very Limiting
Claims Processor (Current Employee) –  USAJanuary 25, 2016
Okay job so long as you don't expect the opportunity for advancement within the company. Horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE compensation. Every year, we took a survey and every year the compensation would be a big negative but they gloss over it as though they don't care (And they probably don't!) Health benefits were also lousy, with a high deductible. Day to day job functions were okay but competent supervisors were never a guarantee! Good co-workers for the most part.
Pros
Generous PTO, stock options if you could afford to buy in
Cons
Compensation, Health benefits
This is a fantastic place to work.
PA Advocate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 16, 2016
The benefits are good, the pay is excellent, and the management is wonderful. The only gripe I have about it is the fact that you're expected to do so much every day, and they have no sympathy for weather related, or health related absences. You're expected to plan your absences at all times.
Pros
great pay, good benefits, full cafeteria with alright food, employee engagement, bonus opportunities, casual dress if paid for
Cons
no wiggle room on absences, heavy workload
Great company with periods of heavy workload
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNJanuary 11, 2016
This is a great company for young people to become very exposed to the healthcare industry. You will communicate with people of many different backgrounds at all levels of the enterprise. There is typically a lot of flexibility in regards to work/life balance but, at certain times during the calendar year, it is frowned upon. In an enterprise this size, culture will vary from department to department.
Pros
Industry exposure
Cons
Extended work hours at times
Great place and environment to work
Project Manager/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cypress, CAAugust 1, 2015
I really enjoyed my stay when I worked at UnitedHealth, if I was not laid off I am sure I would still be there. The leadership, management and culture of the department that I worked in was second to none. They seem to genuinely care for the employees and how and what was needed to be productive. There was always a discussion which included all employees, on a number of issues. Management did take into consideration what the front line personnel had to express.
The hardest part for me was working so far away from home, and when I talked to my boss about this problem he arranged for me to work from home. I would recommend UnitedHealth as a great place to be employed and good for advancement.
Pros
Great work environment, great benefits
Cons
Pay could be better
Clear concise job functions, departmentalized and rigid
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOJanuary 12, 2016
Job duties are clear and concise and do change much. Collaboration between departments including cross function training was not experienced by me. Educational opportunities were great but didn't seem to impact your chances for advancement. It seemed as though employees were generally concerned with job security and were generally uninformed (almost clueless) by senior management..