UnitedHealth Group Employee Reviews

Workplace Culture
ATA Claim Quality Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 20, 2017
It was a great culture and environment. The hardest part of my job was jumping from meeting to meeting and insuring my staff had full access to me. Overall, it was a good experience and always changes for advancement..
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
If you are in a production role, they are very strict of the guidelines.
Workplace Culture
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNOctober 20, 2017
Large corporation where the exact culture varies by specific office location, management and leadership style. Note there are several office locations across the twin cities area.
fun workplace
Referral Management Liaison (Current Employee) –  Fort Irwin, CAOctober 20, 2017
i love the environment that I work in and being able to assist the service members as well as the family members is always a treat. I am glad that United gave me the opportunity to do so!!!!
Pros
independence
Cons
alls is good
n/a
Prior Authorization Technician (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 20, 2017
this job was a lot to do with the low pay you received. the managers were unprofessional and they ended my contract without telling our agencies they fired all of us the day we came in for work
Work/Life Balance, which the management constantly talks about is a joke
Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Horsham, PAOctober 20, 2017
The place is a total sweatshop where you're expected to work unlimited hours, nights and weekends at your manager's request. And they're not asking. Yet they keep bringing up "Work/Life Balance", which does not exist in this place. If you value your time,, seek life elsewhere.
Pros
Cons
Sweatshop, Company Culture, Management
Enjoyed working overhere
Full stack Developer (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXOctober 20, 2017
It was a great experience to work for a project here. It offered me to learn many new things. It made me to learn and work on other technologies. It was pleasant to work here in this place.
Productive workplace and friendly atmosphere
Clinical Appeals Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOOctober 19, 2017
While working with United Healthcare I have learned a lot about the healthcare industry and the many different types of plans that United Healthcare has to offer for people all over. There is is always a friendly atmosphere and everyone is there to help one another exceed and give the best customer service experience to their consumers. This has been one of my most enjoyable jobs that I have had.
Pros
Pto
Worst Company
Clinical Administrator Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV 89128October 19, 2017
Management is LAZY! So much gossip and rumors. Everyone back stabs everyone. No loyalty and no support from management. Most of the managers were grandfathered in from Sierra Nevada and they all lack management skills.
Management does not feel that they must keep anything confidential, anything you tell them, the rest of the employees will find out.
If you report management to H.R. they will tell Supervisor. I seen this with a few of my coworkers.
Benefits
Cons
Management and coworkers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 19, 2017
If it were left up to me I would still be employed with United Health Care. I lived with my daughter which is active duty military. She got orders to North Carolina. I really miss working there, my manager and director was awesome
Decent Company
Benefit Advocate/Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOOctober 19, 2017
The company does a decent job with pay. I do wish there was more of a work/life balance. Some days you would have to work 12 hours and would be expected to work regardless of other outside commitments. If you are a student working here will not be the best option for you. The point system would hurt anyone with children because if they are sick you would have to take care of them in risk of losing your job.
Pros
Base pay is good.
Cons
Expected better health insurance
Productive, fast paced, can be a fun environment
Customer First Representative (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 18, 2017
The most enjoyable is knowing your helping ur customers in every way you can. Been doing customer service about half of my life so that is a big thing for me.
Pros
different events go on.
Cons
short breaks, pay rate
fun working in a small development team
UI Developer (Former Employee) –  Bothell, WAOctober 18, 2017
we had a small development team and the environment was pretty relaxed and fun with equal respect given to the work. created prototypes based on new technologies
Upper Management RULES your career
LVN- Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXOctober 18, 2017
At the end of the day if your not on your manager's safe side your job is always up for grabs. They are constantly cutting jobs for the bottom line, regardless of how good of a worker you are.
why bother
Frontline Processor (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNOctober 18, 2017
terrible pay, terrible conditions, bad benefits. No advancement opportunity. Management was wickedly terrible - it's not what you know, it's who you know. If you work hard, they don't advance you at all.
The Call Center was a great place to learn about Health Insurance
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 18, 2017
It was enjoyable to work at UHC, there was a great balance of employees in the unit I worked in. We all worked great together and helped each other as needed.
Pros
Great work enviroment
Cons
Advancement was hard from the call center
Many offerings of Work At Home - very nice for cold climates! There are many divisions and over 225,000 employees world-wide.
SECURITY SPECIALIST / BUSINESS ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNOctober 18, 2017
We had a fast paced department, but small...only 6 employees and 1 manager, spread across 4 states. Lots of webex meetings, only saw manager 1-2 times/year--but was a great manager. Could always talk about anything and knew it mattered to solve any problem.
Our group's contract ended and not everyone found a job within the company, some had to leave the company to find work which was very unfortunate because we had several departments within the contract and lots of great people.
Human Capital Departments need to change their mindset and automated system of online applications...several hiring managers stated the open position did not absolutely require specified skills, yet the application stated they were required. Meaning...the company lost out on many potential good employees who could not "rightfully check the box for each skill"...so their application was trashed automatically by the automated computer scanning machine. Very sad! I realize with 225,000 employees, and potentially 2500 jobs available each week, there are LOTS of applications/resumes to review...however, the skills/abilities bullets should be increased to provide for more people to be reviewed/considered.
I was fortunate to have a wonderful manager along with very good higher-up management---all of whom tried to help each of us find another position within the company when the contract was closing.
Pros
Nice buildings and atmosphere. Nice food/prize giveaways.
Cons
Aren't always considered for new positions if you don't have healthcare background.
Good
DevOps Engineer (Current Employee) –  Basking Ridge, NJOctober 18, 2017
Good company to work with ,good environment supporting manager and a very good place to grow professionally

If you are interested to learn new things and new development it is one of the best places to work
stressful and inefficient
Care Advocacy and Intervention / Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Hooksett, NHOctober 17, 2017
I have learned an exceptional amount about the health insurance/health care industry.
My typical day is very stressful. I work in a call center taking very confrontational calls about people's dissatisfaction with their health care coverage and the system.
A lot of the times, the processes in place are not efficient or meet people's expectations.
I love my coworkers and my direct management team, but as a whole, the company is lacking in a lot of efficiencies, which leads to frustration and can make an already sensitive call more difficult.
Pros
my coworkers
Cons
stress, inefficient systems
cubicle, "big brother" is always watching what you do
Health Coach (Former Employee) –  Tonawanda, NYOctober 17, 2017
you sit in a cubicle and deal with unhappy people who were given the run around before talking to you. the company doesn't provide enough training to handle most of the situations that members call about. you are encouraged to give members the run around in return. the managers are nice and pretty amendable when time off is needed. the work at home option is nice for when kids are sick. the hardest part is that there are constantly software problems. Get used to calling helpdesk at least once a week. the healthcare benefits are limited and very expensive.
Pros
work at home option, pay was good and bonuses
Cons
healthcare is bare minimum, not well trained, stressful
You are replaceable
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTOctober 17, 2017
United Healthcare does not care about you. You are a faceless cog in an impersonal machine and you will be eliminated with no notice. I invested seven years into this company and they eliminated my position with no notice and despite me receiving fives on all my reviews I was not offered a replacement position. Totally impersonal, totally unfair. Don't work here unless you want to be treated like a number.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UnitedHealth Group. Our community is ready to answer.